Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ANET pulled a Funcom

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by MosesZD

And they never, ever, ever listen to, acknowledge or correct their erroneous positions and simply dig-in harder when confronted because they are so emotionally invested in trolling the game and finding faults that they just make stuff up and will be damned to hell before the get off their fixed, false belief structures.

You know why these threads last forever?

They attack the same man of straw (with the names reversed).  You'll never, ever, ever listen blah blah emotionally attached blah blah love for Anet blah fanboy blah blah.

You're all playing in the same arena, just wearing different jerseys.  The other guy is always the villain, the speaker is always the poor abused (but righteous) hero.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Icewhite

And they never, ever, ever listen to, acknowledge or correct their erroneous positions and simply dig-in harder when confronted because they are so emotionally invested in trolling the game and finding faults that they just make stuff up and will be damned to hell before the get off their fixed, false belief structures.

You know why these threads last forever?

They attack the same man of straw (with the names reversed).  You'll never, ever, ever listen blah blah emotionally attached blah blah love for Anet blah fanboy blah blah.

You're all playing in the same arena, just wearing different jerseys.

I do agree - I am of the wait and see camp actually. I feel A.Net totally messed up some things in GW2 (no guild hall or GvG comes to mind) and did some things right (areas and weapon skills - would like to switch between 3 weapons though). Nothing is ever perfect.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Volkon

They're filling a "time to acquire" void, that's all. Exotics you can get quickly and easily with minimal effort. Legendaries were taking way too long for most people to even have a realistic shot of getting. So between them is one more layer, Ascended. They'll be harder to get than Exotics, yet no where as time consuming as Legendaries. They explained this perfectly when talking about the "Legendary Wall". People would quickly get all exotics, then the enxt step to Legendary weapons was so daunting that many simply wouldn't go there. Now you have a more realistic time sink for minor gear improvements with Ascended, and you also have a whole later option for lateral gear progression in the Ascended tier by introducing new dungeons (with new skins and infusions) that will give those that wish it a new time sink.

It's really not that complicated, nor is it a nefarious plot to go stealth WoW on us.

Sigh...   A rational, coherent explantion will only make the haters dig in more.    The opening paragraph on Confirmation Bias does a good job summarizing this problem:

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses.[Note 1][1] People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. For example, in reading about gun control, people usually prefer sources that affirm their existing attitudes. They also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

So, we've had a few threads on what "full" means.   Spectacularly mis-interpreted by the trolls.   

We have the manifesto and game interviews from years ago when the game was, at best, in Alpha that have been modified or superseded, yet are treated as Holy, Inviolate Texts like it was the Bible when it suits them.    All while obliviously missing the main point -- you can successfully play the game without grinding those upscale armor and weapons, but if you want to, you'll have to put in the time (which they did disclose).

Yeah that is exactly what people that ARE IGNORING THAT ACQURING THE MAX STATS JUST GOT GRINDIER are suffering from.

"No no, they aren't more powerful" - Just 10%+ higher stats

"They have infusion slots, they don't have gems or rune slots" -sure they have stronger gems as base stats

"The gap between exotic and legendary was massive" - there was only a grind gap, not power. Grind is good!

"It is only rings and back slot" - lets ignore Anet blogpost talking about kiting yourself with full Ascended.

"It doesn't make a difference"- why did they do it then?

"skill still wins" - 2 people with same skill who wins?

"it isn't item progression"item progression must be not adding stats

"legendary items were already higher stats" stop looking at wrong information.

"we need to wait and see, nowhere does Anet say they are adding gear progression" - only in their blog posts

"Exotic is too easy to get" - that is why they have been making it easier to get....

"it is lateral progression" 63->68 is lateral? Level79->80 is lateral as well?

"It is only this time. Players weren't satisfied because after exotics it was only aesthetic progression, but once they get ascended they will never want more progression" .... and of course they aren't confirming it is the last time but instead leaving the door open:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/139a4j/official_post_ascended_items_on_german_forums/

How long til the fanboys start to say gear treadmill is awesome and haters that complained the game had no character progression say "meh, I left because of this or that"?

Soon I'll start digging posts of people telling GW2 haters that if they want gear grind as character progression "WoW is that way ->"

At least we starting to move from "there is no change" to "there is a change but it is what the majority wantedand it is only the vocalminority of the forums".

Of course last week the vocal minority were those asking for "gear progression, there is nothing to do".

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Meanwhile, engineer cruising through 78 should finish off the trip this mornin (yay!)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Thats right I said it. By going back on their manifesto and completely changing the game by adding in gear treadmill they alinated their loyal player base in the hopes of wracking the dough from WoW refugees. 

Get over yourself. They announced this stuff in the manifesto. They just didn't have it ready.

Have you made enough threads on this topic? Mods - please close this one as it is just another troll thread.

Care to show us? because i have seen manifesto several times. Maybe i missed the part where they talked about introducing armor with higher stats?

I can't wait to see what else in the manifesto becomes open to interpretation and/or subject to change.

There is no such thing in manifesto, i am quite sure about that. But yeah i would like him to show us where Anet talked about these changes.

In my opinion Anet defense force is just getting desperate now.

Yeah, why is it when it looks like the developers are starting to cave on things they founded their game on, the fans just roll over and accept it making excusesfor ANET. Every time someone "White Knights" their decsions, they are helping pave the way for it to happen again and again.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Thats right I said it. By going back on their manifesto and completely changing the game by adding in gear treadmill they alinated their loyal player base in the hopes of wracking the dough from WoW refugees. 

Get over yourself. They announced this stuff in the manifesto. They just didn't have it ready.

Have you made enough threads on this topic? Mods - please close this one as it is just another troll thread.

Care to show us? because i have seen manifesto several times. Maybe i missed the part where they talked about introducing armor with higher stats?

I can't wait to see what else in the manifesto becomes open to interpretation and/or subject to change.

There is no such thing in manifesto, i am quite sure about that. But yeah i would like him to show us where Anet talked about these changes.

Colin Johanson wrote:

The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.

This is what they wrote a while ago. SO stop with the 'A.Net is not following their manidfesto' - they are. YOU NEED TO READ ALL OF IT.

I did read all of it but i think you have misplaced your reading glasses somewhere.

It is another thing to say they went back on their word and taking new approach and it is completely another thing to try and twist what they originaly said to suit your argument.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Rohn

The lack of itemization was one of the many reasons AoC was considered a failure - it's a bad game design decision for an RPG, including an MMORPG, unless another method of ongoing character development was substituted.  Nothing was, and thus AoC failed.

ANET didn't learn from the AoC debacle, and did the same thing with GW2.  Just like Funcom, the idiots at ANET are quickly learning that bucking convention just for the sake of bucking convention has a price if you aren't replacing that convention with something else that's actually better.  They are now scrambling to "normalize" their game, because the concept failed, again.

AoC failed becaus it was a bugg ridden mess that was nothing like it was advertised. GW2 was actually SUCCEEDING as intended. A stable population was reached after 2 months (when all the grinder burned through content) and events and content patches brought people back to check them out and spend money. 

BY I was just banned on the forums for saying my feedback = uninstall. 

good to hear dont come back

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Same 20 on official and 10 here, very concerned people have a lot to say. If you would utilize the time vs amount of posts you make you would have a PhD in no time O_O

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Originally posted by sammyeli
    Same 20 on official and 10 here, very concerned people have a lot to say. If you would utilize the time vs amount of posts you make you would have a PhD in no time O_O

*rolls eyes*

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Did the other topic run out of space or something? What's with the cry for attention?
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Colin Johanson wrote:

The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.

This is what they wrote a while ago. SO stop with the 'A.Net is not following their manidfesto' - they are. YOU NEED TO READ ALL OF IT.

They are following the manifesto. Go watch the manifesto and quote the exact part they're not following.  The closest I can see is Colin saying they don't want the game to be "a boring grind to get to the fun stuff", and it's certainly not that. 

(Helpful hint: The Manifesto doesn't mention gear.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

*rolls eyes*

My bad I know PhD wouldn't happen but at least a BA

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Where you bored with GW2, feeling there was nothing to do because there was no higher gear stats tier than exotic?

I wasn't.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

If Ascended upgrades didn't have stats, Exotics would still be the best armor to have because of the way sigil stacking works. However, since Ascended has stat increases as well that might not be the case. Lets assume stats go up by 5 for each tier of ascended bonus. So that makes exotic level asended buff +15 to any particular stat. 20 x 6 = 120 additional points to any particular stat, couple with the fact that it already has an inate 5 (if the ring pics are to be believed and extrapolated) that means asecned armor set gives + 150 points to any 1 particular stat, and thats assuming ascended buffs are limited to 1 stat increase. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Where you bored with GW2, feeling there was nothing to do because there was no higher gear stats tier than exotic?

I wasn't.

lol I don't really care what you think or anyone else here, I am here for the laughs and enjoyment at work, keep going at each other's necks.

I am just saying its the same 10 people complaining, I mean I could be wrong it might be 11 but hey we are human, and we all make mistakes. =)

Its more than that. Go look at the merged ascended thread. 8k+ replies, mostly against the patch. There would be 100s of threads if the mods weren't quit to lock posts and ban people. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

I wasn't.

lol I don't really care what you think or anyone else here, I am here for the laughs and enjoyment at work, keep going at each other's necks.

I am just saying its the same 10 people complaining, I mean I could be wrong it might be 11 but hey we are human, and we all make mistakes. =)

Its more than that. Go look at the merged ascended thread. 8k+ replies, mostly against the patch. There would be 100s of threads if the mods weren't quit to lock posts and ban people. 

I went through the 184 pages, I am pretty sure you haven't hence this sad story of a responce you gave, and like I said previously its roughly 20 give or take a few people that are mad about it, and trust me lol thats all I do at work is read, maybe some of you should take some advice and read.

But none the less keep at it. =)

Carl Sagan-

Its possible that ascended has the same stats as a full set of exotics upgraded with sigils. I just did the math (see above post). But thats not likely going to be the case

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

I wasn't.

I went through the 184 pages, I am pretty sure you haven't hence this sad story of a responce you gave, and like I said previously its roughly 20 give or take a few people that are mad about it, and trust me lol thats all I do at work is read, maybe some of you should take some advice and read.

But none the less keep at it. =)

No thank you. No way there are just 20 people that are mad about it. But keep pulling those numbers from.. you know where.

I wasn't.

And you think I'm here because I'm about to have a heart attack because I game i really enjoy playing is doing some changes I don't agree too and make the game much less enjoyable?

Anyway, were you bored and in need of item progression?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

This thread is just going down the tubes from the begiining - Mods may as well losck this one.

This is just like the last US election - people are still incensed about the turn out and protesting rather than just accepting and moving on. You could have spent all this time and energy in game getting armor.

I wasn't.

And you think I'm here because I'm about to have a heart attack because I game i really enjoy playing is doing some changes I don't agree too and make the game much less enjoyable?

Anyway, were you bored and in need of item progression?

I am not bored and I have put quite the time in the game, matter of fact usually 1-2 hours a day since job + baby + wife needs time, and I still have 3 80s one with 3 exotic sets the other 2 with 2 sets for playing different rolls, this new gear is going to come and I will gladly go out and get it you knwo why?   because I will be playing the game and its pretty damn easy to get gear.

Carl Sagan-

see the same people, I do not see anyone new jumping all around, =)  keep at it mate its entertaining.

One thing is clear..you have nothing constructive to say on the topic. So you are pulling imaginary numbers and just looking to bait people into arguing with you. So i will just pass and leave you to trolling.

Anyone who has been active on official forums and have participated in that topic with thousands of replies can easily tell that you are spewing BS. Just for fun i started the count and i stopped at 60 people who are against the new changes.

Sorry bro not interested in derailign this topic further and get a temporary ban because i couldn't resist feeding a troll. Bye bye now.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Im fine with it.

This thread is just going down the tubes from the begiining - Mods may as well losck this one.

This is just like the last US election - people are still incensed about the turn out and protesting rather than just accepting and moving on. You could have spent all this time and energy in game getting armor.

It goes down the tubes the moment Anet fanatics start  derailing  topics with their usual tactics. Nothing new. ofcourse it is going to get locked. Job well done i would say.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

What's up with the trouble in paradise all of a sudden?

This discussion has been closed.