Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom is being sold to the highest bidder: Who will get it?

Funcom is being bought out. 

Funcom initiates review of strategic alternatives

Published on (10-22-2012)

Following completion and launch of the modern-day, 
massively multiplayer online game, 'The Secret
World', Funcom N.V. has retained ABG Sundal Collier
and GP Bullhound to undertake a broad review of the
strategic options available to the company. Funcom
will update shareholders and other stakeholders about
the outcome of the review and potential other
developments in due course.

Bye bye Funcom, hello EA/Activision Funcom lite.  It will be interesting to see how much value the company is given.  Can't be any less than it is now I'd suspect.

Comments

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    It's funny how a game like UO can be so friggin awesome and published by a pretty small company and budget, but new MMOs can't seem to grasp what made that game a blast. It's only been 15 years guys. You figured it out yet?

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    EA

They already have a bunch of ex ea execs on the board.

Think Nokia and Microsoft
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by nethervoid
    It's funny how a game like UO can be so friggin awesome and published by a pretty small company and budget, but new MMOs can't seem to grasp what made that game a blast. It's only been 15 years guys. You figured it out yet?

lol, it is funny to think about.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    They have to find a buyer first.  That might not be so easy considering the western world economic conditions.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Maybe because of the incredibely fast pace of technology is ever changing and the massive change in the demographics of the MMO consumers?  UO eventually was left in the dust.  If it was soooo good then why is it not still kicking?  UO was the pioneer of MMOs and would be incredibely lacklust to modern MMOs.  MMOs nowadays have plenty of incredibely satisfied consumers that far exceed UO's peak sub numbers.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

No they haven't.  Welcome to the era of online single player games.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Some one , any one, buy them and fix up Anarchy Online please!
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Isn't EA going to swallow it whole? image

(EA in a nutshell)

At around 4:18, I imagine Funcom amongst the rest. Sigh.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Just waiting for the axe to drop at this point,  so far they been able to keep themselves above water, but I think that tsw is not doing well, and aoc never did well,  you can't keep bleeding money without something happening. 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    if Activtision Blizzard get hold of this, maybe Blizzard's talent can rub this the right way.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Maybe because of the incredibely fast pace of technology is ever changing and the massive change in the demographics of the MMO consumers?  UO eventually was left in the dust.  If it was soooo good then why is it not still kicking?  UO was the pioneer of MMOs and would be incredibely lacklust to modern MMOs.  MMOs nowadays have plenty of incredibely satisfied consumers that far exceed UO's peak sub numbers.

Last I knew...UO is still going, just as EQ is. Sub numbers don't equal success btw. Longetivity does more so.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ambros: there's more customers now. How many people had a dial up in the late 90s, how many people have broadband today.
  • RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

Last I knew...UO is still going, just as EQ is. Sub numbers don't equal success btw. Longetivity does more so.

And not to forget: UO was changed into an EQ-clone with Age of Shadows, leaving almost nothing of the old gameplay intact.

So in a way original UO does not exist anymore.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    The big guns are after IP's and Funcom's IP's are not that great and the license of Conan must be up for review soon, so I don't think the big guns would be interested unless it was a givaway price. I'd look to Eastern F2P comapnies that want a foot in the western markets, thats why Perfect World bought Cryptic a ready built studio in the west with the sweetner of the Star Trek and D&D licenses, Funcom is not really in the same league. Its going to be a hard sell for me.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by moguy2

Funcom usually kept their games online forever.  Actually, this might mean the end to AO?  That is if whoever buys them figure that it's not worth their time to keep up?

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Rasputin

And not to forget: UO was changed into an EQ-clone with Age of Shadows, leaving almost nothing of the old gameplay intact.

So in a way original UO does not exist anymore.

It was over for UO when they released Renaissance, the second expansion. Trammel killed UO.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Wha?  EA owned Origin through the entire development of UO.  It was made and published by EA.  They haven't been a small company with a small budget in a lot longer than 15 years.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by leojreimroc
    Originally posted by moguy2

Funcom usually kept their games online forever.  Actually, this might mean the end to AO?  That is if whoever buys them figure that it's not worth their time to keep up?

No, that would be destroying and IP's future which would make it worth less and a bad idea... that is if its stable or profiting..

But as a dreamer here, pretending I am in this line of business,  I have very little interest in anything this company has to offer at a premium price. I would be moreso looking at what I could take out of it for use elsewhere... patents, assets such as the backend server stuff, engine / animation / model assets, which would make new projects more affordable., i don't see flipping anything really into cash, turning it f2p wont work.. already done... tapped out and losing probably... no quick turn around, no hype...

Also, When you buy out this sort of thing, you gain a whole bunch of baggage to come wiht it.. you must retain a lot of the employee's etc to keep things rolling, to learn.. the costs alone of acquiring and learning and training would be massive costs...

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

And both of those games were created by two of the most hated companies in the genre (Verant was created by Sony for the purpose of developing EQ and headed by the dreaded Smedley).

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

The horrible 'counter-argument' of "...then why isn't <insert old great game> still popular!?!?!" Buddy, you even said it in your first line. With the ever changing pace of technology, no matter how great a game is, people will always look to, and WANT, something new. Does that change the FACT that UO was an amazing testament to gaming at the time? Of course not. It still will be hailed as one of the first revolutionary steps in MMO gaming.

Then bringing in subscription numbers as another worthwhile argument. *facepalm* Comparing internet availability of the 90s and of today is like comparing apples to... uhhh.. air. It's so incomparable that it is a totally moot argument.

What's funny is that the problem with MMORPG's today is that everyone wants the easy route. Developers need to appeal to the hardcore gamer, the casual fan, the super casual fan, the entitled brat, etc to infinity different types of 'players.' Thus, each game becomes a jumbled mediocre example of what NOT to do - NOBODY ends up satisfied. Example: players hate grinding... waaaah, so developers make it super easy. Players get to end game content in 3 days and the developers just don't have the time to create new content by the time these ultra players rip through their current content. Whining ensues, and the cycle continues.

I personally never played Darkfall as I heard horror stories of how awful it was, however, I am excited to try Unholy Wars. They're going after a niche market, and trying to do it well, while still trying to cater to the 'casual' fan. Whether or not it pans out, I don't know, but at least they have a firm grasp on WHO they're trying to appeal to. AAA MMO's try to appeal to EVERYONE and their mother and end up sucking.

Anyways, yea, rant off.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

agree.... Seems like devs have forgot how to create fun gameplay and are more intent to focus on graphics and eye candy..  Sure the DeLorean looks great.. but once behind the wheel it's a joke.. LOL

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

question

Is my lifetime sub to Funcom? or is it to TSW?

could a new company buy them out and not honor the lifetimes?

• tinywulftinywulf Member Posts: 106

Theres bunches of people that have no idea what Secret World even is still, that it even exists.

Seems to be their biggest problem is marketing, because the story in that game is pretty damn good.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by tinywulf

Theres bunches of people that have no idea what Secret World even is still, that it even exists.

Seems to be their biggest problem is marketing, because the story in that game is pretty damn good.

Yeah, it's like they wanted the game to die. Strange.

Doesn't stop me from playing. :-)

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by gamesrfun

Funcom is being sold to the highest bidder: Who will get it?

I think it will be hilarious if StarVault's Mortal Online donation drive was to try to get money to buy Funcom out, lol image