Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Shores Event Boycott

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by lordshroom420
    I'll join Him !! One person Can make a difference . Stand together !  And Then it Will Matter!!!

Well you can stand where the Mad king stood in LA.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Meleagar
    To register my displeasure at ANET for abandoning its core anti-gear-treadmill philosophy with Ascended gear, I won't be logging back in to GW2 until the 19th. I invite anyone similarly dismayed by this new direction to do the same.

you going to protest under Anet HQ? :D

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    To register my displeasure at ANET for abandoning its core anti-gear-treadmill philosophy with Ascended gear, I won't be logging back in to GW2 until the 19th. I invite anyone similarly dismayed by this new direction to do the same.

Ho god you really don't understand anything don't you? Read http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/15/arenanet-guild-wars-2-ascended-backlash/

There's no gear threadmill and there won't be any. Having a gear threadmil would imply doing the same dungeon over and over again to have a certain set of armor to be able to do the next dungeons and that NOT THE CASE WITH GW2. Also, having a gear threadmill would also imply that you absolutely need the best gear to be able to be competitive in PVP and again, THAT'S NOT THE CASE WITH GW2.

Like I say every single time, clueless people are clueless. They bash something without even understand it. GG

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Ho god you really don't understand anything don't you? Read http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/15/arenanet-guild-wars-2-ascended-backlash/

There's no gear threadmill and there won't be any. Having a gear threadmil would imply doing the same dungeon over and over again to have a certain set of armor to be able to do the next dungeons and that NOT THE CASE WITH GW2. Also, having a gear threadmill would also imply that you absolutely need the best gear to be able to be competitive in PVP and again, THAT'S NOT THE CASE WITH GW2.

Like I say every single time, clueless people are clueless. They bash something without even understand it. GG

That is called gated content, not gear threadmill.

Different things.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by botrytis

See ya - been a slice.

The dungeons will be permanent so there is NOTHING you can do. Stamp your feet all you want.

The majority want end game - they are getting it. At least a start of it.

Yep and in another 2 mouths there will be instanced raiding. wount be able to tell gw2 from any of the rest of the theamparks out there now.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Different things.

LOTR Style?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Joo have fun with that.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Different things.

Actually, they aren't that different.

Gated content = content that has a barrier to entry (like gear)

Gear treadmill (no idea what a threadmill is? Maybe these forums?) = Gated content that uses gear as their barrier to entry.

Different things.

Whatever you wanna call it, you are able to get a Ascended set from more than 1 way so I fail to see how it can be a grind.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123

im good bro. gonna be playing.

ascended gear is a little higher (by a few %) than exotics, if the exotics have upgrades. the ascended upgrade slot is for dungeon specialization. 

Originally posted by xAPOCx

Different things.

LOTR Style?

Didn't play, so not sure.

The dungeon isn't gated, although there is the question if people will be able to play it with blue or green gear or if exotic will make the run much easier.

You will eventually need protection vs "agony" but you will get it while playing the content.

So the content doesn't appear to be gated requiring a gear tradmill to unlock it.

It is a gear progression, aka as gear treadmill at least potentially, considering the reasons given for its introduction.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by aesperus

Different things.

Actually, they aren't that different.

Gated content = content that has a barrier to entry (like gear)

Gear treadmill (no idea what a threadmill is? Maybe these forums?) = Gated content that uses gear as their barrier to entry.

Gear treadmill or gear progression is the grind involved into perpetually having to acquire new gear since the previous max gear becomes obsolete.

Originally posted by umie214

im good bro. gonna be playing.

ascended gear is a little higher (by a few %) than exotics, if the exotics have upgrades. the ascended upgrade slot is for dungeon specialization. 

Sure, but ascended have the stats from upgrades built in them.

There are also ascendants with no infusion slots and simply the extra stats.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294

Your loss.

Boycotting a game with no monthly sub is pro.

Originally posted by xAPOCx

Different things.

LOTR Style?

Didn't play, so not sure.

The dungeon isn't gated, although there is the question if people will be able to play it with blue or green gear or if exotic will make the run much easier.

You will eventually need protection vs "agony" but you will get it while playing the content.

So the content doesn't appear to be gated requiring a gear tradmill to unlock it.

It is a gear progression, aka as gear treadmill at least potentially, considering the reasons given for its introduction.

You will be able to play it with any gear if you want. It will obviously be more easy if you have exotics, because the dungeon is intent for lvl 80. Past a certain point tho, you will absolutely need the new Ascended gear with the Infusions to be able to go even further in the dungeon.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Ascended Gear.

Rings and Back Armor, with as much as an 8% stat increase. As a portion off all stat related gear, what is that, something like a 2% boost? There is a very wide stat boost between Rares and Exotics and Exotics are available for all gear slots. I have appreciated the stat boost that Exotics give me, along with the armor skins and just having something to work towards. Did I ever feel gimped doing content with Rares, while I worked towards my Exotics? Absolutely, positively NOT.

In short, we have people making a really big deal out of absolutely nothing. Most MMOs see this much gear inflation on a monthly basis with out it even warranting inclusion in the patch notes. WoW expansion gear inflation would see new Greens that were better than gear people spent hundreds of hours raiding to acquire. You are going to boycott over a ~2% total stat boost in a game where stat inflation overall follows a very shallow curve and exotic gear isn't really necassary for level 80 content? Really?

The slight boost is incentive for people to aquire the Ascended Gear. Ascended Gear will also be able to be aquired by game play outside of the new Fractals of the Mist Dngeons, so even those who just don't do Dungeons will be able to get Ascended Gear.

The biggest reason for Ascended is as a platform for Infusions and Agony Mitigation stats, which will have ZERO impact outside of Fractals of the Mist and will have greatly reduced usefulness for players who play FotM more casually, lacking the time or will to push the difficulty limits via multi-multi-wave play sessions.

Starting with only Rings and Back Armor isn't due to asset development time. The limited gear inflation will see a horizontal build out over time, as more slots gain Ascended Gear options, in sync with ongoing FotM expansion, which we know will be taking place over the months and years ahead.

I'll be very surprised if we see full sets of Ascended gear in any time less than a year from now.

FotM looks to be a pretty incredible take on the dungeon experience. Easy access via Asuran Gate in Lion's Arch, Level Scaling ala WvW to allow sub-80 characters access. Escalating difficulty over subsequent "waves", with difficulty being based on the average difficulty level attained by the members of your party. Hub where you can rest, vendor and repair between runs. Random Fractal (wing) selection, with more fractals to expand the rotation a very likely ongoing content addition moving forward. Boss battles on every even run. Compelling environments that are not your traditional dungeon motiff. Etc...

Arenanet are giving us what looks to be a pretty cool limited event, leading to new, permanent content and a pretty kick ass take on the Dungeon Crawl and someone's going to boycott over a tiny bit of purpose driven gear inflation? It's not like anyone has spent hundreds of hours and many months acquiring their Exotic Gear, only to it all made obsolete by a single update. Exotics are not a big deal to acquire and if the inclusion of a couple rings and a back piece with slightly better stats is going to break your will to play, well, maybe MMORPGs just aren't for you.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    cry me a river

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Lol.... the 200 people who MAYBE play GW2 on this forum STAND TOGETHER AND WE WILL SHUT ANET DOWN!!!!
    Originally posted by fiontar

Ascended Gear.

Rings and Back Armor, with as much as an 8% stat increase. As a portion off all stat related gear, what is that, something like a 2% boost? There is a very wide stat boost between Rares and Exotics and Exotics are available for all gear slots. I have appreciated the stat boost that Exotics give me, along with the armor skins and just having something to work towards. Did I ever feel gimped doing content with Rares, while I worked towards my Exotics? Absolutely, positively NOT.

In short, we have people making a really big deal out of absolutely nothing. Most MMOs see this much gear inflation on a monthly basis with out it even warranting inclusion in the patch notes. WoW expansion gear inflation would see new Greens that were better than gear people spent hundreds of hours raiding to acquire. You are going to boycott over a ~2% total stat boost in a game where stat inflation overall follows a very shallow curve and exotic gear isn't really necassary for level 80 content? Really?

The slight boost is incentive for people to aquire the Ascended Gear. Ascended Gear will also be able to be aquired by game play outside of the new Fractals of the Mist Dngeons, so even those who just don't do Dungeons will be able to get Ascended Gear.

The biggest reason for Ascended is as a platform for Infusions and Agony Mitigation stats, which will have ZERO impact outside of Fractals of the Mist and will have greatly reduced usefulness for players who play FotM more casually, lacking the time or will to push the difficulty limits via multi-multi-wave play sessions.

Starting with only Rings and Back Armor isn't due to asset development time. The limited gear inflation will see a horizontal build out over time, as more slots gain Ascended Gear options, in sync with ongoing FotM expansion, which we know will be taking place over the months and years ahead.

I'll be very surprised if we see full sets of Ascended gear in any time less than a year from now.

FotM looks to be a pretty incredible take on the dungeon experience. Easy access via Asuran Gate in Lion's Arch, Level Scaling ala WvW to allow sub-80 characters access. Escalating difficulty over subsequent "waves", with difficulty being based on the average difficulty level attained by the members of your party. Hub where you can rest, vendor and repair between runs. Random Fractal (wing) selection, with more fractals to expand the rotation a very likely ongoing content addition moving forward. Boss battles on every even run. Compelling environments that are not your traditional dungeon motiff. Etc...

Arenanet are giving us what looks to be a pretty cool limited event, leading to new, permanent content and a pretty kick ass take on the Dungeon Crawl and someone's going to boycott over a tiny bit of purpose driven gear inflation? It's not like anyone has spent hundreds of hours and many months acquiring their Exotic Gear, only to it all made obsolete by a single update. Exotics are not a big deal to acquire and if the inclusion of a couple rings and a back piece with slightly better stats is going to break your will to play, well, maybe MMORPGs just aren't for you.

You still clinging to that, rings and back slot only?

"This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game.  Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content."

It is going to be around at least 10% difference between full Exotic and full ascended. Which is around the rare->exotic difference.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    I will be too busy neck deep in the new content to be boycotting. 
    Originally posted by Xerith

But only because of the new items with bigger stats. :)

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    As long as they don't make dungeon running a requirement to be competitive in the WvW environment I honestly don't give a shit.  The PvE in this game is absolutely god aweful (to me) and I can count on 1 finger the number of dungeons I've run.  IF, that day comes I'll move on permanently.  That said, Anet I think realized very quickly how pissed people were and made some concessions about the Ascended gear.  Hopefully they heard their player base this time around loud and clear. 
  • XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Doesn't bother me. I enjoy dungeons and they said they will be obtainable from WvW. 

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Doesn't bother me. I enjoy dungeons and they said they will be obtainable from WvW. 

Not in this patch though. Some time later when they patch it  in W v W rewards.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

Who you tring to kid.  you'll log in.