Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet answers to all this forum whining ;) it's on official GW2 forums

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Skymourne

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Umm I want to know if Ascended gear is the final tier or not. I want to know if I'll need Ascended gear and the agony resistence to even have a chance at completing the next content. I want to know if my gear will be outdated in the future.

Its not a real answer since they don't address the communities concern about gating content, gear grind treadmill, or gear orrinatated character progression. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT

You'll find out answers to those questions when event starts... Ain't that a bitch, eh? :D

How is it NOT ruining the event and this new "expansion" if you know all the answers before the actual content gets out? :D

Well, my biggest concern was the availability of this ascended gear being tied to only 1 dungeon.... Glad that's cleared up. :D

No I won't. As I have made clear to other in this thread, I won't know the answer until ANET either

1) Says they will or won't add more tiers of gear/upgrades that leads to gating of content or gear treadmill by adding more gear with better stats 

or

2) ANET launches a patch with progression with or without the gear treadmill or gated content

"Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two."

So, that doesn't answer your question about treadmill? It's not their INTENTION, so it means, they don't know what the future holds but for now they won't do such things... I think it does answer the question, but you don't want the answer as it is, you want a crystal globe and look into the future. xD

They also said:

"As we watch Guild Wars 2 mature in its Live environment, we have found that our most dedicated players were achieving their set of Exotic gear and hitting “the Legendary wall.” We designed the process of getting Legendary gear to be a long term goal, but players were ready to start on that path much sooner than we expected and were becoming frustrated with a lack of personal progression. Our desire is to create a game that is more inclusive for hardcore and casual players alike, but we don’t want to overlook the basic need for players to feel like they are progressing and growing even after hitting max level. Adding item progression is a delicate process normally undertaken in an expansion, but we feel it’s important to strive to satisfy the basic needs of our players sooner rather than later."

It is all there, Anet is adding item progression to satisfy the players that need item progression.

When people said there was nothing to do after hitting level 80 and getting exotics, i sincerely replied there was.

Apparently others replied the same but they were lying, whatever rocks the boat works because they involved in forum PvPing, so what matters is choosing a team and defend it or attack the other team no matter what.

Ah, and what Massive Jump between Exotic and Legendary? 0 stats!

Wait, wait it is even better, they added a new tier of items requiring time and resources to obtain to make it easier to get legendaries.

So more stuff to spend instead of focusing straight away makes it easier.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Skymourne

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Umm I want to know if Ascended gear is the final tier or not. I want to know if I'll need Ascended gear and the agony resistence to even have a chance at completing the next content. I want to know if my gear will be outdated in the future.

Its not a real answer since they don't address the communities concern about gating content, gear grind treadmill, or gear orrinatated character progression. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT

You should take note that Legendary is still the final tier. Ascended comes before Legendary. 

What I see happening is this: Ascended gear (and probably future Legendary armor and items) has infusion slots. These slots allow for a lateral progression through various new content (such as the new dungeon and future ones), giving players more gear to chase after and more infusions to find to enhance their gear. So right now, the new dungeon has infusions to counter Agony, plus new Ascended armors. So you get yourself, eventually, a set of Ascended armor and the infusions to counter the current dungeon. Later on, a new dungeon comes out with new Ascended armor and a new type of infusion. The armor is comparable to the current ascended statwise but obviously is a new skin. You have a choice, chase down the new set of ascended gear or get the latest infusions and modify your existing ascended gear for that dungeon. The "gear treadmill" isn't a permanent uphill grind. Instead it's a choice... do I want that new set with comparable stats or am I happy with the current and willing to upgrade the infusions on it instead for the new dungeon?

Agony will likely be specific to this dungeon only. A new condition and related infusions will be likely for new dungeons, as well as new sets of armor that you can get if you choose to do so. Legendaries will always remain top-tier, as they are now.

That is all fine except for all the mistakes it contain.

The thing is that Legendary tier is that crazy tier, only hardcore people will go for.

According to Anet own filosophy, that lasted for about 7 years until a couple of days ago, items that required crazy amount of grinds should not give a statiscal reward to not force players to go for it. Only cosmetic.

Of course it isn't lateral progression.

Apparently everyone defending the Ascendant items have a reading disorder - they read infusion and then proceed to ignore the Ascendant item given as example, that has higher stats than any exotic equivalent. They also ignore Linsey own words where she says the new Ascendant items will have the inherent effects found in jewels, runes and sigilsas base.They even ignore that Legendary will be upgraded to match Ascendant stats because Legenary are supposed to be on par with BiS items.

Somehow people read (sure they did) this and it for them this equate Exotic=Ascendant, lateral choice, etc.

Now, being gimped isn't a real choice.

No one's ignoring anything. Ascended is the tier between exotic and legendary. It'll be harder to get than exotics (I doubt you'll be able to craft it, but we'll see...), and of course legendary harder than that still. Future ascended sets will be comparable in stats to the new ones, hence the lateral progression between ascended sets (and infusions). Legendary armors will undoubtedly have an infusion slot as well, allowing people to use them in the assorted dungeons by changing infusions. 

Just like all exotics are comparable in stats, all ascendeds will be as well (to each other) and all legendary will be when compared to other legendaries. That's the lateral progression... adding additional sets of ascended, exotic, legendary etc. without the power creep but with the specialization that infusions will bring. There's still a lot we don't know, but it's definitely not a treadmill being developed.

Except they already added power creep to satisfy the player needing progression.

Answer me, you reckon that crowd will be satisfied for months by the paltry progression between Exotic and Ascendant?

That worries me even more that a new item tier, the fact they are adding it to please those players they called "our most dedicated players" (sic), aka players that play 24/7 for a month and then quit.

And no need to bring infusion on me, that doesn't worry me at all, although it is a stupid way of creating challenge, it is like  making me play football with a leg behind my back or playing chess while keeping 3 balls in the air - sure it is more difficult but it adds nothing.

You know what infusion did for Guid Wars - it added that "wow,ouch" factorf first time you encoutered the mursaat/jades and after that was an annoyance that made you go do an infusion run everytime you acquired a new armor.

The sad part is that with the aditional power creep (and there was no new max stats item added in the entire GW1 life) even if you aren't infused you can slaughter the mursaat/jades (well maybe not the WiKs ones but those aren't the original) - you can slaughter the mob of mursaats that once created the tension of pursuit during the Ice Caves of Sorrow mission.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Pretty clear answer. I'm happy.
  • xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

I have been playing since launch and have supported Anet through the cash shop, I'm pretty dissapointed with the new gear that's coming in this update, which is pretty much better than exotics. It's only rings and a back for now, but the rest will be added in due time, along with offensive/defensive infusion orbs this will be the top tier gear and the question will be what's next, when will this gear be outdated for the new tier.

I play this MMO because of the even playing field and to do what I feel like fun, now I have to go into this dungeon to get this gear to stay competitive in WvW, other dungeons and general PvE, not happy at all about this to the point that I'm not logging as much as I used to.

There's plenty of quotes from devs where they talk how they wouldn't do this, and how would end gear would be cosmetic mainly, where the gear grind would be left for other MMOs, yet they go back on their word now to please the progression players is pretty disheartening, they've lost the trust of many including me here.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

Originally posted by xposeidon

I have been playing since launch and have supported Anet through the cash shop, I'm pretty dissapointed with the new gear that's coming in this update, which is pretty much better than exotics. It's only rings and a back for now, but the rest will be added in due time, along with offensive/defensive infusion orbs this will be the top tier gear and the question will be what's next, when will this gear be outdated for the new tier.

I play this MMO because of the even playing field and to do what I feel like fun, now I have to go into this dungeon to get this gear to stay competitive in WvW, other dungeons and general PvE, not happy at all about this to the point that I'm not logging as much as I used to.

It is good to see there are at least a few guys around here feeling the same.

i didn't log yesterday because of this,just didn't feel the urge.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Except they already added power creep to satisfy the player needing progression.

Answer me, you reckon that crowd will be satisfied for months by the paltry progression between Exotic and Ascendant?

That worries me even more that a new item tier, the fact they are adding it to please those players they called "our most dedicated players" (sic), aka players that play 24/7 for a month and then quit.

And no need to bring infusion on me, that doesn't worry me at all, although it is a stupid way of creating challenge, it is like  making me play football with a leg behind my back or playing chess while keeping 3 balls in the air - sure it is more difficult but it adds nothing.

You know what infusion did for Guid Wars - it added that "wow,ouch" factorf first time you encoutered the mursaat/jades and after that was an annoyance that made you go do an infusion run everytime you acquired a new armor.

The sad part is that with the aditional power creep (and there was no new max stats item added in the entire GW1 life) even if you aren't infused you can slaughter the mursaat/jades (well maybe not the WiKs ones but those aren't the original) - you can slaughter the mob of mursaats that once created the tension of pursuit during the Ice Caves of Sorrow mission.

It isn't power creep. They're filling a power void. Ascended will be a little better than exotics, and legendaries will be (I think) a little better than ascended (could be similar... not sure). As far as players seeking progression, we've known all along that GW2 was never meant to be a game where the gear treadmill drives all. Yes, there's a small progression to be had over time, and it caps with significant effort at legendaries. (Makes you wonder how long it'll take the first person to be fully equipped in legendaries...)

I recall what infusion did in GW1 quite well. This is an evolution of that, with offensive, defensive, etc. infusions. Before we see that in play and how it affects your builds it's premature to write the system off as arbitrary. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

It isn't power creep. They're filling a power void. Ascended will be a little better than exotics, and legendaries will be (I think) a little better than ascended (could be similar... not sure)

You simply don't know how the game works. Legendaries were just for looks. They have the same stats as exotics. Once the patch that introduces ascended weapons goes live, they will be ajusted to be on par with Ascended in terms of stats. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

It isn't power creep. They're filling a power void. Ascended will be a little better than exotics, and legendaries will be (I think) a little better than ascended (could be similar... not sure). As far as players seeking progression, we've known all along that GW2 was never meant to be a game where the gear treadmill drives all. Yes, there's a small progression to be had over time, and it caps with significant effort at legendaries. (Makes you wonder how long it'll take the first person to be fully equipped in legendaries...)

I recall what infusion did in GW1 quite well. This is an evolution of that, with offensive, defensive, etc. infusions. Before we see that in play and how it affects your builds it's premature to write the system off as arbitrary. 

There you go again - I already said I'm not worried about infusion and it works like this:

- without infusion "mob type X is harder".

- with infusion "mob type X is easier".

Easier and harder depend on the gear you have.

There is a huge power void of 0, ZERO, NADA, between exotic and legendary.

Sigh.

I guess it is easy to see why people say it is nothing when they don't understand what is happening.

It isn't power creep. They're filling a power void. Ascended will be a little better than exotics, and legendaries will be (I think) a little better than ascended (could be similar... not sure)

You simply don't know how the game works. Legendaries were just for looks. They have the same stats as exotics. Once the patch that introduces ascended weapons goes live, they will be ajusted to be on par with Ascended in terms of stats. 

I simply wasn't sure where legendaries were going. On par with ascended, ok then. All points remain valid. 

You will have ascended, which is a little better in stats and more difficult to obtain than exotics, and you'll still have legendaries as the "final" tier, being the most difficult to obtain.  Exotics we can quickly get at 80. Ascended will take awhile. Legendaries take considerably the most amount of time and effort to obtain.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

So, what you are complaining about is the grind you did to get your exotic and now another type of armor, that may or may not be easy to obtain has been inserted into the mix.

Remember what happen to the original exotic armors in GW1 after Nightfall came out. They took away the original prefix for the Prophecies armor and made it so you can add your own prefix - I had Exotic Bonelace on my Necro and it was converted to Exotic Cabalist. People were up in arms at the time also. But it was actually a good move, in hind sight.

Just need to put things in perspective....

There you go again - I already said I'm not worried about infusion and it works like this:

- without infusion "mob type X is harder".

- with infusion "mob type X is easier".

Easier and harder depend on the gear you have.

There is a huge power void of 0, ZERO, NADA, between exotic and legendary.

Sigh.

I guess it is easy to see why people say it is nothing when they don't understand what is happening.

Then call it a time void. Exotics are easy and quick to obtain. Legendaries take (most people) forever, give or take a few months. Ascended will fall between them in time-to-obtain. Add a little bit o'power to ascended (and legendaries by default) to make them "worth" pursuing, and viola! People have longer term goals without the wall many face trying to get legendaries.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by botrytis

So, what you are complaining about is the grind you did to get your exotic and now another type of armor, that may or may not be easy to obtain has been inserted into the mix.

Remember what happen to the original exotic armors in GW1 after Nightfall came out. They took away the original prefix for the Prophecies armor and made it so you can add your own prefix - I had Exotic Bonelace on my Necro and it was converted to Exotic Cabalist. People were up in arms at the time also. But it was actually a good move, in hind sight.

Of course if would be better if you actually know what and how they did.

Update - Thursday, May 24, 2007

[edit] Automated Tournaments

[edit] Item Updates

[edit] Armor Insignias and Bonuses

• Players can now obtain armor insignias from all campaigns. Profession-restricted insignias will only drop in campaigns in which characters of that profession can be created.
    • Crafted armor in Prophecies and Factions now supports insignias. The insignia bonuses replace the previous inherent armor bonuses and require several additional changes:
      • From this point onward, armor pieces newly crafted in these campaigns will not have inherent bonuses. The crafting costs of these armor pieces have been reduced accordingly.
      • All existing level 20 armor from these campaigns now have insignias in place of their inherent bonuses. Please note that the bonuses on these armor sets have not been altered. The only change is that these bonuses now come from insignias.
      • All existing lower-level armor pieces from these campaigns now support insignias but have had their inherent bonuses removed.
      • Numerous armor sets have been renamed to avoid redundancy with insignia names.
    • Lower-level collector armor pieces from Prophecies and Factions now support insignias. Level 20 collector armor does not.
    Oh look they change the name, removed the inherent bonus but gave you an insignia with the same bonus so that your armor remained the same...

It is a pain to defend what can't be defended.

How many times do I have to spell it out for you. I'm complaining that ANET isn't clear about their gear progression philo. Are they going to add more tiers of gear/upgrades in teh future. Will new content not be completable without FOTM gear? Their response to community outrage left the door open to go either way. I want a clear answer!

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

How many times do I have to spell it out for you. I'm complaining that ANET isn't clear about their gear progression philo. Are they going to add more tiers of gear/upgrades in teh future. Will new content not be completable without FOTM gear? Their response to community outrage left the door open to go either way. I want a clear answer!

They did give a clear answer - just not the answer you wanted - I think and if I am wrong - SORRY.

They spelled it out as best as they could w/o giving away all the items in this patch coming out today.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Anaba77

--- > here is the link and the text:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside

Head of Global Community

Our Studio Design Director Chris Whiteside just posted this:

“I’d like to respond to concerns players have raised about ascended items. Please keep in mind that we’re releasing this as one portion of a massive November update that introduces and improves many aspects of challenge, progression, and rewards. With this and upcoming updates, we view ourselves as introducing large amounts of content with supporting systems and features, akin to an expansion pack, building on Guild Wars 2 through a series of live releases. So it’s important for us to be able to add an expansion pack’s worth of progression and rewards to support that content.

Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.

Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features. As you know we care very much about your support and opinion and are listening intently to what you say.
    Finally we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming content, and we will ensure we share our thoughts with you on the experiences we share in the Lost Shores."

Chris Whiteside – Studio Design Director

The answer to the question people are asking should be "Yes we will create a gear treadmill" or "No we will not create a gear treadmill". Instead, ANET says "Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill" There is a huge difference and when someone is non committal, well, just prepare for something you may not like.

They did give a clear answer - just not the answer you wanted - I think and if I am wrong - SORRY.

They spelled it out as best as they could w/o giving away all the items in this patch coming out today.

"We don't intend to release new gear to chase EVERY 3 month, but we plan on releasing more progression content like this in the future" doesn't answer anything. Every 3 months leaves the door open for more gear to be added, but in longer time spans, more progression content like this leaves room for different ways of it being done: with gear stats that are compounded or sectioned off gear that progresses but is tied to particular content. 

It doen't answer anything. Its PR spin. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90
    They answered the question, they aren't going to release new gear sets every few months.  [mod edit]
    Originally posted by Jeyhu
    They answered the question, they aren't going to release new gear sets every few months.  So please, all the babies it's time for your nap now.

Every few months doesn't answer the actual concer. Will there be more gear later thats better than ascended? Will ascended gear be used as a key to actually complete new content after its all out? Will I be expected to do new content and have the rings and back pieces to even have a chance starting the new content? 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

[mod edit]

It was a trend here on MMORPG.com about a year ago. If you noticed it doesn't have my GW2 character on it. Why because I haven't updated it in at least a year.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

His example isn't even valid.

In fact is armor became better, now that he could use an useful insignia instead of a +15 armor vs pierce insignia.

They won't give you a clear answer because that depends on how "their most dedicated players" feel about the progression in game.

When they get bored again because there is no progression and legendary items give no stats increase, what will Anet do?

They answered the question, they aren't going to release new gear sets every few months.  So please, all the babies it's time for your nap now.

Every few months doesn't answer the actual concer. Will there be more gear later thats better than ascended? Will ascended gear be used as a key to actually complete new content after its all out? Will I be expected to do new content and have the rings and back pieces to even have a chance starting the new content? 

Again, who bloody cares right now, I'm sure once they release a boxed expansion then ya, they'll most likely add a new level cap and with that comes gear.  Having the rings and back pieces won't take you years to aquire, and they aren't going to pump out this crazy hard content every few weeks, you'll have plenty of time to get those items.  Atm it's mainly for the new dungeon, and probably the hard mode combat coming in the future.  Seriously, go for a walk or bike ride, you need to relax.

Again, who bloody cares right now, I'm sure once they release a boxed expansion then ya, they'll most likely add a new level cap and with that comes gear.  Having the rings and back pieces won't take you years to aquire, and they aren't going to pump out this crazy hard content every few weeks, you'll have plenty of time to get those items.  Atm it's mainly for the new dungeon, and probably the hard mode combat coming in the future.  Seriously, go for a walk or bike ride, you need to relax.

Its not about taking years to aquire, it about content locking and gear treadmilling. I was expecting GW2 to be an MMO version of GW1. If they content gate and gear treadmill, then its not an MMO version of GW1, its just like every other MMO on the market. Also, its 1:23 AM where I am.  

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Obviously Anet is trying to cater to as many fans as they can.  A lot of folks were getting bored because the progession stops and becomes a "skin collector" game.  To me I think it was fine as is, but I know of a quite a few that aren't.  Blame WoW or whatever for that type of mentality, but Anet is a business and out to make this game as accessible as they can since that is how you make commercially successful games instead of niche.
    Obviously Anet is trying to cater to as many fans as they can.  A lot of folks were getting bored because the progession stops and becomes a "skin collector" game.  To me I think it was fine as is, but I know of a quite a few that aren't.  Blame WoW or whatever for that type of mentality, but Anet is a business and out to make this game as accessible as they can since that is how you make commercially successful games instead of niche.

I wonder how many of the treadmill guys spent money in the gem store? Point is, every game that tries to compete with WoW fail. GW2 will be no different unless it doesn't try to compete with WoW. GW1 didn't and made ANET enough money to create GW2

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Their response to community outrage left the door open to go either way. I want a clear answer!

I doubt we will see one, but then... Thats sort of an answer anyway. Anet lost my 7 years of trust with the added gearlevel. I really don't care what they say now. Instead I will judge their game on what they produce. (Yes I know, this would have been the sensible thing to do all along.)

Currently I see no idea (for me) in putting time and/or money in GW2. The community is completely split and arguing all over the place. Even within guilds the members are arguing and saying things they will regret. And all we see from Anet is some poorly masked attempt at damagecontrol.

I will just give the game a look some time in the near future. If there was no treadmill added I won't have lost anything and can just get back in the game - If treadmill is in I will not have wasted time/money on something I dislike.

In the end I wonder how much this will hurt Anet: Pulling a "bait and switch" hurt FunCom a lot - Even to the extent that a lot of players simply skipped their next game. (Only based on FunCom's prior behaviour.)

I already got my moneys worth in GW2 so either way I hope that Anet will have a game that appeals to whichever kind of audience they end up wanting to please.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)