Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet answers to all this forum whining ;) it's on official GW2 forums

Comments

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367
    Originally posted by xpiher
    *snip*

Also, your math is wrong. Once the entire set, and entire set of ascended armor will be nearly 40% better than an entire set of Exotics. Futhermoe, its currently 5 points better, not two.  

Your math is wrong.  If one piece of ascended is 8% better than one piece of exotic, then 5 pieces of ascended aggregate will be 8% better than 5 pieces of exotic aggregate. 

Go talk to your math professor.  You don't take the difference in one piece of gear and times it by the pieces to get the total difference.  That's fuzzy math.

If you dislike something, and you present it in a way that is totally wrong, people won't respect your opinion.  I for one will take any opinion you have with at least 40% graint of salt, because your dislike is based on aba daba doo.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by bansan
    *snip*

Also, your math is wrong. Once the entire set, and entire set of ascended armor will be nearly 40% better than an entire set of Exotics. Futhermoe, its currently 5 points better, not two.  

Your math is wrong.  If one piece of ascended is 8% better than one piece of exotic, then 5 pieces of ascended aggregate will be 8% better than 5 pieces of exotic aggregate. 

Go talk to your math professor.  You don't take the difference in one piece of gear and times it by the pieces to get the total difference.  That's fuzzy math.

If you dislike something, and you present it in a way that is totally wrong, people won't respect your opinion.  I for one will take any opinion you have with at least 40% graint of salt, because your dislike is based on aba daba doo.

I didn't do that math, it came from a forum post that showed how the sacling effects, if extroplated to all pieces of gear, is equal to roughly 40% better than whats currently in game. But its not the stats that I have problem with, it could be 1 point difference it wouldn't change what I hate about the change. Its the fact that they may add more gear that and gate content to with the gear being previous gear. I would have the same problem with the system if the stats were identical, but the Agony resistence got compounded and was used for the new content as well. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Ethos86
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Ethos86

How pathetic how entitled some people are to their "currently max stat" gear.

How much effort was it to get that full exotic set... not much really. Yesterday I upgraded my aquatic weapons to exotic, even knowing they will add ascended in the future.

What content is really that challenging that your personal skill can't overcome it? You could do everything at lvl 80 with rare gear if you are not a crappy player, you don't even need exotic. Exotic gear was there to make it just more chill and comfortable, and for the people like me who like to max the stats anyway.

Now it's okay, you also want to max your stats... so you feel the need to have ascended. But then why do you think you have to get everything without any effort. Cmon it's silly. First you guys complain there's nothing left to obtain after you have your character on exotics, now you cry and be lazy. In this weekend's update there will ascended rings added and an ascended backpiece.

Sooo... they add a very good version of a backpiece, which people complained about there wasn't an exotic version from it. So you don't have to replace that exotic... the best one was a gold or a green one before.

You only have to replace 2 exotic rings, by 2 ascended rings. For each character if you rly have multiple lvl 80's. Wow... what a freaking stat increase right now and what a huge effort... yes they will add more ascended in the future but what do you wanna do all day? Dance in Lion's Arch? There's more then enough time to aquire the optional stat increase items. For all we know your exotics might not even be obsolete but required to upgrade them to ascended, we don't know yet how the aquireing works for these new items.

Sometimes i rly hate this MMO community. Full of entitled pricks who are never pleased and always whine. You guys are silly.

And let me tell you. Within a few years, when you move on to another game and never play GW2 again. All your achievements and aquired gear will be obsolete anyway. It's a game... go with the flow of the game or quit, don't cry about it as if your life achievements depend on it.

Another person that doesn't read all Anet post and then comes bashing.

Another person that doesn't make informed buys so he doesn't care if the product he boughts behave like was described or not.

You are so wrong. I have read every official statement of AreaNet on their site, blog and forum posts of devs. I follow this game since it's announcement and I have played GW1 before that for about 2000 hours. I went to GamesCom in Germany every year when they were there, for 3 days, to play GW2 and to talk with the dev's. I was there the first day ever when you could play GW2, the moment people rushed to the booth when the doors opened of GamesCom in 2010. I played every beta weekend of this game.

Maybe you are person that doens't make informed buys, knowing that EVERY MMO will change one way or the other.

Concerning AreaNet and them reviewing their game, chaning it for the better because they believe so, i think this quote applies:

"The smart people constantly revise their understandings of a matter. They reconsider problems they thought they had solved. They are open to new points of view, new information, and challenges to their own ways of thinking."

It's such a good game and a good company because they are open to new points of view. Unlike most of the people up in arms here in these forums who are close minded and even too unpatient to see the results of the update to start complaining about it. Smart people have the balls to change their minds.

I'm not a mindless GW2 fanboy that will eat whatever they throw at me. I just believe I'm lucky enough to be able to see things from a perspective that I shouldn't feel butthurt if something is changed not a 100% to my liking. And if they really serve a thing that will make me throw up at some point. I'll leave the table quietly and move on still being happy that I got more than my money's worth already from this ride.

Had you read stuff, you would know that the it isn't about just 2 rings.

I guess I played GW1 about 5 times more you did.

So, coming to the game you were expecting max stats tier to be replaced with a content patch?

What is next?

they introduce aggro mechanics, dedicated healers, and well it is just change?

Or maybe they introduce higher stats items that can only be acquired in the gem shop?

There are changes and changes.

Changing rewards from cosmetics to stats related isn't just a change.

And don't assume I feel butthurt.

Think I'm affraid of change?

Go to the www.guildwarsguru.com forums and search for the user Improvavel.

Look how I defended controversial changes like allowing 7 heroes long before they changed it.

My opinion is that this changes adds nothing positive, isn't required for anything, will solve no problem.

You think it is ok that is your right, just doesn't try to throw dirt in my eyes like many have been doing ignoring all the evidence granted by Anet themselves.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

*snip*

I didn't do that math, it came from a forum post that showed how the sacling effects, if extroplated to all pieces of gear, is equal to roughly 40% better than whats currently in game. But its not the stats that I have problem with, it could be 1 point difference it wouldn't change what I hate about the change. Its the fact that they may add more gear that and gate content to with the gear being previous gear. I would have the same problem with the system if the stats were identical, but the Agony resistence got compounded and was used for the new content as well. 

I don't think they will gate content- there is nothing in their posts that indicate that.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Didn't answer anything. See my post on real answer

Why you people don't read properly is really beyond me:

- Ascended gear = agony resistance

- Agony abilities only coming from certain enemies in certain areas

This already answers that you can even stay in your exotics and enjoy future updates as long as you don't go after these types of mobs in the parts of the areas they are.

You can even risk to go there with a group that has ascended gear and try your luck as also maybe survive if you manage to stay out of harm (or interupt when they try to use this skill on you).

Was the  same against the Mursaat in GW1.

You could survive even without infused armor but it was very hard cause you could die very fast through their agony skill.

Same thing applies here.

The main difference is only that in GW1 you could infuse your current armor and only need to reinfuse if you changed to a other one while in GW2 you need the ascended armor and it's defensive ability slot for that.

Hope this makes it a bit more understandable.

*snip*
    Your math is wrong.  If one piece of ascended is 8% better than one piece of exotic, then 5 pieces of ascended aggregate will be 8% better than 5 pieces of exotic aggregate.  Go talk to your math professor.  You don't take the difference in one piece of gear and times it by the pieces to get the total difference.  That's fuzzy math. If you dislike something, and you present it in a way that is totally wrong, people won't respect your opinion.  I for one will take any opinion you have with at least 40% graint of salt, because your dislike is based on aba daba doo.
    I don't think they will gate content- there is nothing in their posts that indicate that.
    They said they are going to add more progression in this style. They already added higher stats to gear. Why wouldn't they use Agony to gate content? 

Originally posted by Raekon

Originally posted by xpiher Didn't answer anything. See my post on real answer
    Why you people don't read properly is really beyond me: - Ascended gear = agony resistance - Agony abilities only coming from certain enemies in certain areas This already answers that you can even stay in your exotics and enjoy future updates as long as you don't go after these types of mobs in the parts of the areas they are. You can even risk to go there with a group that has ascended gear and try your luck as also maybe survive if you manage to stay out of harm (or interupt when they try to use this skill on you). Was the  same against the Mursaat in GW1. You could survive even without infused armor but it was very hard cause you could die very fast through their agony skill. Same thing applies here. The main difference is only that in GW1 you could infuse your current armor and only need to reinfuse if you changed to a other one while in GW2 you need the ascended armor and it's defensive ability slot for that. Hope this makes it a bit more understandable.
    You would be right IF THEY DIDN'T ADD HIGHER STATS TO ASCENDED GEAR and then say "We will continue with this type of progression in the future" Its not clear at all. This isn't the same as Agony from GW1 either. In GW1 you could Ascend any gear in the game. This gear is tied to RNG as well. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Historically, every major boss in guildwars has needed some sort of thing to defeat them. Whether it's the favour of the gods, or infused gear or just a skill that is given to you by an NPC. GW has always had something like that.. but not in dungeons which is where this is becomes a bit weird.

You don't need the gear to finish any other dungeon, only this one so you complaining is just weird. Even if they do add another gear set, there will still be no need to complain because you don't need it.

Favor of the Gods to kill a boss? FoW til this day has no boss and Dhuum was ony introduced 1-2 years ago, still no favor of the gods required.

Urgoz and Khanaxai required what?

There as been ranks, like lightbringer, deldrimor or Agent that helps against certain types of mobs and generally affects the stats of some skills.

Curiously (or not so much) the direction with GW1 was to diminish the differences between ranks.

*snip*
    Your math is wrong.  If one piece of ascended is 8% better than one piece of exotic, then 5 pieces of ascended aggregate will be 8% better than 5 pieces of exotic aggregate.  Go talk to your math professor.  You don't take the difference in one piece of gear and times it by the pieces to get the total difference.  That's fuzzy math. If you dislike something, and you present it in a way that is totally wrong, people won't respect your opinion.  I for one will take any opinion you have with at least 40% graint of salt, because your dislike is based on aba daba doo.
    They said they are going to add more progression in this style. They already added higher stats to gear. Why wouldn't they use Agony to gate content? 

While we can't be sure about anything anymore, since they changed a core design, it seems to me they will allow you to gain whatever gear with buffs to those exclusive areas inside the content itself.

It seems logical that any other system will affect only the content they are designed for.

A bit like lightbringer rank.

Obviously we can't be sure, but opposed to the item tiers where there is evidence provided by Anet, in this case is all speculation.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

My God, where will it all end?!

/wrings hands pathetically

When the agendas tire of the witch hunt, same as always.

But try to remember a time when game companies were not EvilCorp, in gamer's eyes?  It's never happened.

Blizzard, SOE, Mythic, Funcom..they've all been the Target for the Outrage Firestorms.

Gamer never tire of it.

So many successes in that list.

Don't want to add EA-Bioware to that list?

Are you going to say Xyher and I have an agenda to denigrate Arenanet and GW2?

At least you will have Pink items, if you actually play the game.

Sure, we can add EA to that list....they've been determined-witchhunt-targets too. (Many times, in fact)

And no, paranoia doesn't need to activate, I wasn't even aware you were here.

Who's Xyher..oh, there he is. :wave:  Does this apply to you sir?  No?  Ok, noted, enjoy your day.

Ah, you are just ariund to say your piece about other people and move on, no opinion on the subject (at least there is no wrong "facts").

Roger and out.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Skymourne

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Umm I want to know if Ascended gear is the final tier or not. I want to know if I'll need Ascended gear and the agony resistence to even have a chance at completing the next content. I want to know if my gear will be outdated in the future.

Its not a real answer since they don't address the communities concern about gating content, gear grind treadmill, or gear orrinatated character progression. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT

You should take note that Legendary is still the final tier. Ascended comes before Legendary. 

What I see happening is this: Ascended gear (and probably future Legendary armor and items) has infusion slots. These slots allow for a lateral progression through various new content (such as the new dungeon and future ones), giving players more gear to chase after and more infusions to find to enhance their gear. So right now, the new dungeon has infusions to counter Agony, plus new Ascended armors. So you get yourself, eventually, a set of Ascended armor and the infusions to counter the current dungeon. Later on, a new dungeon comes out with new Ascended armor and a new type of infusion. The armor is comparable to the current ascended statwise but obviously is a new skin. You have a choice, chase down the new set of ascended gear or get the latest infusions and modify your existing ascended gear for that dungeon. The "gear treadmill" isn't a permanent uphill grind. Instead it's a choice... do I want that new set with comparable stats or am I happy with the current and willing to upgrade the infusions on it instead for the new dungeon?

Agony will likely be specific to this dungeon only. A new condition and related infusions will be likely for new dungeons, as well as new sets of armor that you can get if you choose to do so. Legendaries will always remain top-tier, as they are now.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

i'm sorry but that is a great answer.  I'm not sure how much more you want from them without them spoiling the entire event.  You guys aren't happy about ascended gear.  it's not that big of a deal.

Umm I want to know if Ascended gear is the final tier or not. I want to know if I'll need Ascended gear and the agony resistence to even have a chance at completing the next content. I want to know if my gear will be outdated in the future.

Its not a real answer since they don't address the communities concern about gating content, gear grind treadmill, or gear orrinatated character progression. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENT

You should take note that Legendary is still the final tier. Ascended comes before Legendary. 

What I see happening is this: Ascended gear (and probably future Legendary armor and items) has infusion slots. These slots allow for a lateral progression through various new content (such as the new dungeon and future ones), giving players more gear to chase after and more infusions to find to enhance their gear. So right now, the new dungeon has infusions to counter Agony, plus new Ascended armors. So you get yourself, eventually, a set of Ascended armor and the infusions to counter the current dungeon. Later on, a new dungeon comes out with new Ascended armor and a new type of infusion. The armor is comparable to the current ascended statwise but obviously is a new skin. You have a choice, chase down the new set of ascended gear or get the latest infusions and modify your existing ascended gear for that dungeon. The "gear treadmill" isn't a permanent uphill grind. Instead it's a choice... do I want that new set with comparable stats or am I happy with the current and willing to upgrade the infusions on it instead for the new dungeon?

Agony will likely be specific to this dungeon only. A new condition and related infusions will be likely for new dungeons, as well as new sets of armor that you can get if you choose to do so. Legendaries will always remain top-tier, as they are now.

Your statements are only right if the new mechanic is limited to FOTM and does not lead to gating content. The issue is that ANET wasn't clear. They said they would add more progression in the same style and not add new gear every 3 months. They didn't say they wouldn't add more gear in the future. Also, the new gear has better stats. If it was just the upgrade, why not add the gear without the extra stat bounses?

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

That is all fine except for all the mistakes it contain.

The thing is that Legendary tier is that crazy tier, only hardcore people will go for.

According to Anet own filosophy, that lasted for about 7 years until a couple of days ago, items that required crazy amount of grinds should not give a statiscal reward to not force players to go for it. Only cosmetic.

Of course it isn't lateral progression.

Apparently everyone defending the Ascendant items have a reading disorder - they read infusion and then proceed to ignore the Ascendant item given as example, that has higher stats than any exotic equivalent. They also ignore Linsey own words where she says the new Ascendant items will have the inherent effects found in jewels, runes and sigilsas base.They even ignore that Legendary will be upgraded to match Ascendant stats because Legenary are supposed to be on par with BiS items.

Somehow people read (sure they did) this and it for them this equate Exotic=Ascendant, lateral choice, etc.

Now, being gimped isn't a real choice.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

You'll find out answers to those questions when event starts... Ain't that a bitch, eh? :D

How is it NOT ruining the event and this new "expansion" if you know all the answers before the actual content gets out? :D

Well, my biggest concern was the availability of this ascended gear being tied to only 1 dungeon.... Glad that's cleared up. :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Why you people don't read properly is really beyond me: - Ascended gear = agony resistance - Agony abilities only coming from certain enemies in certain areas This already answers that you can even stay in your exotics and enjoy future updates as long as you don't go after these types of mobs in the parts of the areas they are. You can even risk to go there with a group that has ascended gear and try your luck as also maybe survive if you manage to stay out of harm (or interupt when they try to use this skill on you). Was the  same against the Mursaat in GW1. You could survive even without infused armor but it was very hard cause you could die very fast through their agony skill. Same thing applies here. The main difference is only that in GW1 you could infuse your current armor and only need to reinfuse if you changed to a other one while in GW2 you need the ascended armor and it's defensive ability slot for that. Hope this makes it a bit more understandable.
    You would be right IF THEY DIDN'T ADD HIGHER STATS TO ASCENDED GEAR and then say "We will continue with this type of progression in the future" Its not clear at all. This isn't the same as Agony from GW1 either. In GW1 you could Ascend any gear in the game. This gear is tied to RNG as well. 

Higher stats comparison in PVE

You can live longer than a level 11 in a level 11 area if you play properly and can withstand more damage after you got scaled down then someone with lower armor

Higher stats in dungeons

Applies to the same comment I did about PvE as long as you are playing equally good to the guy with the lower armor

On the top of it your whole team benefits from it which is a good thing.

Higher stats in WvsWvsW

If you get zerged by a team you will die the same way others with lower armor die.

If you come across a very skilled player than you, you will die even in a 1vs1 no matter if he has blue gear on or not because of the scaling and the buffs depending on how good your server does

Higher stats in spvp

not existant so it won't make any difference

Difference between exotics and ascended

- gem slot vs infusion slot

- ascended higher stats in vs exotic more flexibility

- ascended boosts 3 stats only vs exotics can boost up to 6 stats through the upgrade slot at the same time

The design decision was good because

- it gives level 80s more to do

- it doesn't break the game

- it doesn't make exotics or legendaries useless unless you are up against opponents that are using agony

- the addition isn't random but rather connected to the lore which opens more possibilities for future content

- adding new gear with new looks  and more skins gives people that like to collect more to do aswell (yeah I know they could do that with new skins only aswell)

- the exotics and all the other armor have an upgrade slot, replacing these with a infusion after millions of people are having on would lead only to issues that the developers and players would have to endure.

Adding a new item instead is giving them more control over it, less coding issues which means less players affected if at all. 

Originally posted by korent1991

You'll find out answers to those questions when event starts... Ain't that a bitch, eh? :D

How is it NOT ruining the event and this new "expansion" if you know all the answers before the actual content gets out? :D

Well, my biggest concern was the availability of this ascended gear being tied to only 1 dungeon.... Glad that's cleared up. :D

No I won't. As I have made clear to other in this thread, I won't know the answer until ANET either

1) Says they will or won't add more tiers of gear/upgrades that leads to gating of content or gear treadmill by adding more gear with better stats 

or

2) ANET launches a patch with progression with or without the gear treadmill or gated content

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    *snip*

They are not gating anything because EVERYONE will start the dungeon without infusions and ANYONE who does the dungeon will get AT LEAST ONE infused piece of gear. So really the only problem here is if you want to do the dungeon after the next 6 months and you've never done it before, you'd have to find a few more people who are also new or who want to play on characters that haven't gone through the dungeon yet so that you don't face things that require infused gear.

This is not a game.

*snip*

They are not gating anything because EVERYONE will start the dungeon without infusions and ANYONE who does the dungeon will get AT LEAST ONE infused piece of gear. So really the only problem here is if you want to do the dungeon after the next 6 months and you've never done it before, you'd have to find a few more people who are also new or who want to play on characters that haven't gone through the dungeon yet so that you don't face things that require infused gear.

The problem I have isn't with this PATCH as I've said plenty of time. Its with the precendent that it sets for patches after this one. Will the next dungeon require me to start with the ascended gear? 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

No I won't. As I have made clear to other in this thread, I won't know the answer until ANET either

1) Says they will or won't add more tiers of gear/upgrades that leads to gating of content or gear treadmill by adding more gear with better stats 

or

2) ANET launches a patch with progression with or without the gear treadmill or gated content

"Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two."

So, that doesn't answer your question about treadmill? It's not their INTENTION, so it means, they don't know what the future holds but for now they won't do such things... I think it does answer the question, but you don't want the answer as it is, you want a crystal globe and look into the future. xD

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

or

"Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two."

So, that doesn't answer your question about treadmill? It's not their INTENTION, so it means, they don't know what the future holds but for now they won't do such things... I think it does answer the question, but you don't want the answer as it is, you want a crystal globe and look into the future. xD

They spefically said: every 3 months. They are going to release the ascended set over time. What happens when the set is complete? Will they add BLESSED ARMOR after? This doesn't change the fact that we don't know if the next content patch will require us to have the two pieces introduced in this one. They aren't clear at all. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    *snip*

The problem I have isn't with this PATCH as I've said plenty of time. Its with the precendent that it sets for patches after this one. Will the next dungeon require me to start with the ascended gear? 

That is your view on what they said. It is not mine and as others have said, we shall wait and see. I find all of this gnashing of teeth funny about a game that HAS NO SUB fee - pay once play forever. I could see if people were actually putting money each month for this but to hold A.Net to a different standard than sub companies is sad. I mean SWTOR, has now gone F2P, really P2W because they are limiting skill bars, etc - you have to pay for more of them. Why aren't people screaming more about that?

I find it very disheartening that there seems to be double standards at play here.

Higher stats comparison in PVE

You can live longer than a level 11 in a level 11 area if you play properly and can withstand more damage after you got scaled down then someone with lower armor - You can also do so in level 80 areas.

Higher stats in dungeons

Applies to the same comment I did about PvE as long as you are playing equally good to the guy with the lower armor

On the top of it your whole team benefits from it which is a good thing.

Higher stats in WvsWvsW

If you get zerged by a team you will die the same way others with lower armor die.

If you come across a very skilled player than you, you will die even in a 1vs1 no matter if he has blue gear on or not because of the scaling and the buffs depending on how good your server does

Higher stats in spvp

not existant so it won't make any difference

Difference between exotics and ascended

- gem slot vs infusion slot - Stats given by gems, runes and sigils are base stats inascendant items.

- ascended higher stats in vs exotic more flexibility - more flexibility at the cost of lower power.

- ascended boosts 3 stats only vs exotics can boost up to 6 stats through the upgrade slot at the same time -ascended can boost 6 stats as well, vide picture.

The design decision was good because

- it gives level 80s more to do -doesn't need stats for that.

- it doesn't break the game - changes game core filosophy

- it doesn't make exotics or legendaries useless unless you are up against opponents that are using agony - legendaries are fine, exoctics are less powerful.

- the addition isn't random but rather connected to the lore which opens more possibilities for future content --no reason it had to require a slot.

- adding new gear with new looks  and more skins gives people that like to collect more to do aswell (yeah I know they could do that with new skins only aswell) exactly

- the exotics and all the other armor have an upgrade slot, replacing these with a infusion after millions of people are having on would lead only to issues that the developers and players would have to endure - you could make it an aplied property, a la GW1, you could make it a rank

Adding a new item instead is giving them more control over it, less coding issues which means less players affected if at all. - they are upgrading legendary items aswell, could be another alternative method

There is no sugar coating it - Arenanet added stats because, and they say so, want to give progression players more progression.

Of course progression players will get Ascendant items and demand more progression stats.

What will Anet do then?

(that is assuming the progression types actually come back for a +10% boost everyone else can get aswell -progression types always strike me as exclusivist, they want the best items in the hands of only a minority).

Originally posted by botrytis
    *snip*

That is your view on what they said. It is not mine and as others have said, we shall wait and see. I find all of this gnashing of teeth funny about a game that HAS NO SUB fee - pay once play forever. I could see if people were actually putting money each month for this but to hold A.Net to a different standard than sub companies is sad. I mean SWTOR, has now gone F2P, really P2W because they are limiting skill bars, etc - you have to pay for more of them. Why aren't people screaming more about that?

I find it very disheartening that there seems to be double standards at play here.

There isn't a double standard. I quit AoC for them changing their play model as well. I also quit rift because they had gear grind tread mill as well. I don't play other MMOs because they have gear grind treadmills. This is why I never bought Secret World. 

The only reason I bought GW2 is becaus I thought it would be a themepark game that didn't have hamster wheel gear treadmill progression. If they continue making content updates that require prior gained gear and then introduce stronger gear AGAIN they went against everything they advertised the game to be. They will be pulling a FUNCOM. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I feel their answers are open ended. As I interpret the information they've provided us, they're adding this as a middle tier between exotic and legendary. I only hope this feature isn't as poorly implemented as the dread/radiance feature from LoTRO. Given ArenaNet's track record, I can't see it being poorly implemented. I also hope this isn't a start of tiers like seen in World of Warcraft. The will benefit from additional rewards to obtain if the following conditions can be met:

1. There is only one tier of this type of gear. Should there be another, the player should be able to convert their older tier gear into higher tiers.

2. The level cap should remain unchanged. Raising the level cap would invalidate not only the original tier but all tiers added for level 80.

3. Content designed for this gear should be completable without, albeit at a higher difficulty. The difference in difficulty should be comparable to the difference between explorable and story modes in dungeons.

Those are my thoughts on the issue.

Originally posted by botrytis

Double standards?

Do I care about SWTOR? Or WOW?

We, guild wars 2 players are judging guild wars 2 by the standards set by Anet with both GW1 and GW2.

I'm not screaming about SWTOR cause I've never gave a rat's ass about that game, f2p, p2p, p2w, crap, whatever, I could care less.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

That is all fine except for all the mistakes it contain.

The thing is that Legendary tier is that crazy tier, only hardcore people will go for.

According to Anet own filosophy, that lasted for about 7 years until a couple of days ago, items that required crazy amount of grinds should not give a statiscal reward to not force players to go for it. Only cosmetic.

Of course it isn't lateral progression.

Apparently everyone defending the Ascendant items have a reading disorder - they read infusion and then proceed to ignore the Ascendant item given as example, that has higher stats than any exotic equivalent. They also ignore Linsey own words where she says the new Ascendant items will have the inherent effects found in jewels, runes and sigilsas base.They even ignore that Legendary will be upgraded to match Ascendant stats because Legenary are supposed to be on par with BiS items.

Somehow people read (sure they did) this and it for them this equate Exotic=Ascendant, lateral choice, etc.

Now, being gimped isn't a real choice.

No one's ignoring anything. Ascended is the tier between exotic and legendary. It'll be harder to get than exotics (I doubt you'll be able to craft it, but we'll see...), and of course legendary harder than that still. Future ascended sets will be comparable in stats to the new ones, hence the lateral progression between ascended sets (and infusions). Legendary armors will undoubtedly have an infusion slot as well, allowing people to use them in the assorted dungeons by changing infusions. 

Just like all exotics are comparable in stats, all ascendeds will be as well (to each other) and all legendary will be when compared to other legendaries. That's the lateral progression... adding additional sets of ascended, exotic, legendary etc. without the power creep but with the specialization that infusions will bring. There's still a lot we don't know, but it's definitely not a treadmill being developed.

Oderint, dum metuant.