Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P the way it should have been

2»

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Sigilaea
    The problem with all of the "f2p" threads is that the subscription model they use doesn't matter. The game is bad, and the game needs to be fixed, not how people pay for it.

Thats what amuses many people.

Even Hickman (whatever) admitted game is not worth the money - they didnt change anything but HOW are people supposed to give them money - how did they conclude people will give them money now since reasons people voted with their wallets are still there, getting even worse.

That kind of things happen when you are grasping for straws or have some agenda.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

Any game making the F2P switch... its only a temporary solution.  If players aren't sticking around paying $15/month, then whose to say they'll spend money on a cash shop.  Yeah, you may enforce restrictions or design UI elements/gameplay mechanics to encourage transactions... but if I am not having fun, why would I even bother playing your game to begin with?

The sick thing is, is that I've read articles where developers have admitted the success of their F2P models rely on people who spend hundreds of dollars on their game a month.... not the players who spend nothing or just a few dollars here and there (because only a very small percentage of active players actually buy anything!) 

Create a game that is fun, engaging, and very enjoyable.... then I will play (I will probably even sub!)

Sell additional content that will further improve my enjoyment.... then I will buy stuff from the cash shop.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Elminster

Basically what they have done here, is what what companies like Turbine have done, and that is to take a franchise like Star Wars, make it a f2p game and added a cash store, i.e. the cartel shop, and added a reward system for those who remain subscribers, i.e. te mothly alottment of cartel coins. Turbine has a couple of games, DDO and LOTRO that are fairly successful and they follow this model.

Personally, I believe, and correctly so, that it was only going to be a matter of time before SWTOR went f2p. This is going to be a good thing for SWTOR, because it will allow people who wanted to play initially to experiance what the game has to offer, without the pressure of making a commitment. 

I agree completely, but what irks me is they are essentially marketting an unlimited free trial as something it's not.

It's simply not F2P as most of the content is extremely limited or locked out completely. Thing is, they are not alone in this approach (most of the big boys are doing it now) and it bugs me as it taints true F2P games and might make players think twice before trying those (often indie) games.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    SWTOR has to take sample from STO (Star Trek online), its a good f2p model.
  • DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Nonderyon
    SWTOR has to take sample from STO (Star Trek online), its a good f2p model.

Not sure about that.