Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you sub $29.99 a month to a MMORPG if the game was just that incredible?

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    If they brought back SWG-PreNGE I would pay 100 bucks a month...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61

I'd only play 30 bucks for a game where I actually WAS my character, and the tech for that is a decade or so away.

Even then it'd have to be really fucking good.

• crazytwancrazytwan Member UncommonPosts: 19
    If a MMO could glue me to it like they did when they 1st came around, I would pay. I miss the wonderment MMOs would give me when they were more sandbox and new in concept.
  • xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

The question doesn't make much sense.

The subscription we have to pay monthly goes towards the salaries of the devs proportionally. We aren't paying for the idea or someone to make the game, you are asking if the game exist already.

So no, $15 sub is worthwhile for the salaries of the devs.

On the other hand, I am more than willing to pay the extra $14.99 a month in the forms of cash shop if the game is THAT good.

But remember no game will ever perfect, just because a game is in your head doesn't necessarily mean it is the game that you will enjoy the most.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Honestly, most (if not all) of the current mmo's aren't even worth the 15/month sub some of them want as it is. Most lack things to do at max level that are worthwhile, raiding is not really worth while and its setup in a way that it just keeps yoru sub open with 7 day reentry delays and crap. Did you know most of the wow players once they start raiding, usually don't even login till a raid day? They just let the sub rot, because there is nothing else worth doing at cap in wow and most current mmo's are sadly the same. Mmo's like wow, rift etc need some faction vs faction land control pvp so that the raid gear serves a use, and you have something to do in between raids. Sadly mmo's are no longer really mmo's, most are bascally a single player rpg till you hit cap then you have to group. I miss the glory days back in like ff11, and ff14 where you needed to group up to get things done, even today ff11 still has a pretty tight community in game, unlike most other mmo's though I quit after abbysea came out because it made the game wow-easy mode, hit lv 30 get group in abbysea get to 99 in a day, makes the whole leveling process pointless, you might as well just give out insta level 99 jobs. Mind you, you will have to spend a while leveling your weapon/magic skills up to near cap to do anything else.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    If they brought back SWG-PreNGE I would pay 100 bucks a month...

I'll be honest here, I don't see what was so good about swg back then, I tried the game and thought it honestly was pretty shitty least the combat aspect of it, the combat in swg way back was just kinda stupid, pretty much was spam the same skill over and over for 2-3 mins to kill 1 thing. The quest system was also kinda stupid since it was all just random shit from a terminal, doesn't feel all that epic grabbing missions from a terminal and doing them all day. Needless to say I never played long.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

Never. I will never pay a monthly subscription ever again. WoW was enough. I don't care how perfect the game is. I don't care how much content there is (Unless it is a new game every month). It's stupid to pay out for a game to own and then pay a monthly fee on top of that that adds up in 2 months to more than the game costs to own.

I know how to do math and I know when you're stealing my money. Paying for something over time and getting no returns is like handing over your wallet to the company and hoping they eventually return it to you.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Rossboss

Never. I will never pay a monthly subscription ever again. WoW was enough. I don't care how perfect the game is. I don't care how much content there is (Unless it is a new game every month). It's stupid to pay out for a game to own and then pay a monthly fee on top of that that adds up in 2 months to more than the game costs to own.

I know how to do math and I know when you're stealing my money. Paying for something over time and getting no returns is like handing over your wallet to the company and hoping they eventually return it to you.

what if you were getting returns?

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Nope because then all the other developers will follow suit

Could a game be worth that much? Probably. Would it be a bad idea to support it? Most definitely

Then again if gamers really thought about their own best interests, we wouldn't have the amount of crap we have today. Gamers in general are not rocket surgeons that's for sure

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

"let subscribers have the power to vote f2pers out of the game, say perhaps after getting 10 negative votes they get a week ban. 2nd time it happens 2 week ban and so on. Would totally make the sub fee worth it and strongly encourage people to sub since they would be immune from penalty."

(Raises pitch fork) Lets get us some F2Pers! :D

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Not on my budget...
  • tomato_kwantomato_kwan Member Posts: 44
    30 a month is CHEAP for an incredible mmorpg....if it ever exists.......
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,781
    Originally posted by Scot

"let subscribers have the power to vote f2pers out of the game, say perhaps after getting 10 negative votes they get a week ban. 2nd time it happens 2 week ban and so on. Would totally make the sub fee worth it and strongly encourage people to sub since they would be immune from penalty."

(Raises pitch fork) Lets get us some F2Pers! :D

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.5041630936959319&pid=15.1

Ya! Let's get 'em!

Once upon a time....

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    There was a time when I was paying $45 per month to have three Star Wars Galaxies accounts.  The game only had one character slot per account.  I paid that money gladly, and would do it again for the right game.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,781

I'd pay it for a great Sandbox world, huge, full of building and organizing, and full of exciting mysteries and Boss's that are played by the GMs and working with evul players (but not FTPers, no way I want their smell around my game *grins*) to take over all that I hold dear.

Oh, and talking llamas. Got to have talking llamas. Know it all talking llamas.

Once upon a time....

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I definately would if the game was worth 30 bucks a month, I would have no problems with 50 a month if it was the best MMO I had ever played and had the longevity that current MMOs lack.

Hell, I spend about 100 a month buying single player games since there is no MMO out now that I am the least bit interested in playing.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I'd going to go with No. 

Back when I started with UO, I accepted this monthly fee.  I knew a lot of other people who refused to do so.   Not sure if they ever got around to playing any MMOs. 

But for a game to justify $15 these days it needs to be pretty darn good.   $30 a month just sends the wrong message.  At that point, it becomes a monthly utility like cable service....when will it end?

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by grimal

I'd going to go with No. 

Back when I started with UO, I accepted this monthly fee.  I knew a lot of other people who refused to do so.   Not sure if they ever got around to playing any MMOs. 

But for a game to justify $15 these days it needs to be pretty darn good.   $30 a month just sends the wrong message.  At that point, it becomes a monthly utility like cable service....when will it end?

I often think about how back in the mid-80's I would feed quarter after quarter into arcade games. Your first quarter equalled about 5 minutes of game play. After a week of force feeding quarters you could be one of the best, getting about 30 minutes of gameplay for that quarter. 

When you consider that a 15 dollar sub equals about 50 cents a day, for unlimited gametime; I'd say we have it pretty good these days. 

That being said, it is now the market standard, and so by some appearances it is what the market will bear these days. 

However, considering what was put into arcade games, when a quarter was actually worth more than today, so  at least at one time; the video game market bore a much higher price than todays mmo market; and personally I hope no one tries to re-create that Pac Man fever.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by grimal

I'd going to go with No. 

Why should the utilties get all the money? You pay $100/m for TV because you accepted that... not based on worth. So you are okay with getting ripped off on TV, because thats a norm norm, and gaming isnt. so no, its not worth it. even though you probably spend 4 times the time gaming than watching tv

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Yes.  Yes I would.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

sure would.

have you seen whats out there?

horrible.

horrible games everywhere.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Fuck no, that is plain ridiculous greed right there and gullible customers.  No MMO is worth that much and even $15 is too much for some/most MMOs out there.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    A console for $30? Get me one too will you. :)
  • PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46

All this hoopla over $30?  lmao.

YOUR Dream MMO, people.

Half of the posters rationalize why its not possible, others whine about they wouldnt pay that much for any current title...

Of course you should pay $30 to play the best version of your favorite sub-genre of mmo, and yet people say no?  Hell, I bet half of the people on this forum pay for internet just to game anyway.  Perspective.

Edit: Oh, and just to make a point, I'd pay $30/mo to play some old games, full with the populations and support from their heyday.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by mikecackle

Imagine your most favorite MMORPG game ever in your head and say it exists and you play it full time every day.. And it has so much content you couldnt shake your snake at it all...Would you sub $29.99 a month to this type of game? What's the most you would pay for a monthly subscription?

Or do you think no matter how good a game is, its only worth a minimal fee?

Give me SWG pre cu and I'll sub 2 accounts in a flash.