Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you sub $29.99 a month to a MMORPG if the game was just that incredible?

Comments

• InlorInlor Member Posts: 37

Let's see...

Cinema (incl. Popcorn, Beer, Ice): 20 Euros

Going out Drinking & Partying: 50 Euros

Weekend in London/Paris/Rome: 300 Euros

and on the other side:

Ultima Online 2: better graphics, same gameplay, increased game depth

Honestly: I would pay 100 Euros a month for a game that addictive!

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    no way.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Dahkot72
    Considering it costs 100.00 to take a family of 4 to a major new 3d/ Imax movie if you simply get you , yourself , wife and kids drinks and popcorn , 29.99 for something I truly enjoyed that much sounds like a good deal.

Wow, where the heck do you live?  I took myself and my 3 kids to a 3d movie last week and I got out of there at around 50$ With drinks and popcorn for all.  I felt ripped off at that, let alone 100.  And I agree, if it had everything I wanted in the game 29.99 would be well worth it.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Id pay 40-50 bucks a month for my dream mmorpg.

I agree, especially considering that when I am not playing a MMO I usually spend more then that on games a month anyhow.

• CrepitusCrepitus Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Dahkot72
    Considering it costs 100.00 to take a family of 4 to a major new 3d/ Imax movie if you simply get you , yourself , wife and kids drinks and popcorn , 29.99 for something I truly enjoyed that much sounds like a good deal.

Wow, where the heck do you live?  I took myself and my 3 kids to a 3d movie last week and I got out of there at around 50$ With drinks and popcorn for all.  I felt ripped off at that, let alone 100.  And I agree, if it had everything I wanted in the game 29.99 would be well worth it.

The theatre we go (Cineplex Odeon near Montreal) cost 14.75$ per adult for a 3D movie. 11.25 for children. So with 2 kids it's 52$ before getting drinks and popcorn. Add around 10$ per person for drinks + popcorn (If i remember right last time a Combo 2 was 18.75 for 1 Large popcorn and 2 regular drinks) so yeah it can go easily to 100$. Actually, the only reason we don't go to theatre anymore.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Yes, no question about it, but it would need to be something special.

Think SWG as one single mega-server but without the bugs, broken classes, CU, macro grind, NGE and seriously improved open world pvp, far bigger planets, more planets, more iconic locations, random extremely rare events which would be straight from the coolest lore locker for the time period, an optional storyline mission for lore and fun and some serious pvp faction conflicts and raids.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Absolutely, as others have said I would pay $40-$50 a month if it was worth it.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by Rusque

I can see it now, an EA executive is reading a link to this thread thinking, "Yes, we'll make the perfect MMO and charge $30 a month - it'll be awesome."

Sorry Mr. EA, no you won't. And neither will anyone else, MMO's are barely worth their $15 sub fee these days (many aren't). Unless you find the Quality Improvement Fairy, I don't see any MMO being worth $30.

EA can't even manage a sub standard MMO so I think we are safe. Besides, all the EA executives are far too busy too read anyone else's opinions as all they do is stand around all day patting themselves on the back for destroying games.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by mikecackle

Imagine your most favorite MMORPG game ever in your head and say it exists and you play it full time every day.. And it has so much content you couldnt shake your snake at it all...Would you sub $29.99 a month to this type of game? What's the most you would pay for a monthly subscription?Or do you think no matter how good a game is, its only worth a minimal fee?  

First tell your employer to make a game that is actually worth 15 bucks past the first 6 months and get back to us..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Absolutely would.

If my dream MMO existed, I wouldn't have any need for a second game. Since I am already paying 50€+ a month for games it would fit perfectly into my budget.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742
    People will pay for anything if it is good enough. The problem is that for many this will mean big content updates each month. I am not sure how big a team you would need to be able to provide that. Quality MMO's with top graphics just cannot produce content that fast.
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    If the game would be a new mix of EQ1 and UO without kiddy players and F2P bull**** featuring intelligent devs with a sence of community, I'd pay 50€ a month.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Here's an idea. Make the game totally free to play, all access to everything. Then offer a $29 per month sub fee with only one extra feature, let subscribers have the power to vote f2pers out of the game, say perhaps after getting 10 negative votes they get a week ban. 2nd time it happens 2 week ban and so on. Would totally make the sub fee worth it and strongly encourage people to sub since they would be immune from penalty . Think about the possibilities.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    No way in hell.
  • pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    I can imagine people spend over 60 a month just trying new games looking for that new fix. And hearing these people say that they would not spend more then 15 makes me laugh. I understand just how dumb the gaming community is but wow come on people use that little noggin for once. You wont pay 30 a month for a game that makes you truly happy but you will buy 2-3 games a month spending well over 60-100 a month? I can just see all of your math teachers laughing at you when they said "you will need math for everything in you life" and you thought to yourselfs " I will never need this stuff again." 
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Never.  That's just dumb.  Lotro is a F2P game and puts out some of the best content I've seen in an MMO and I like they hybrid model they use.  Lifetime sub, baby.  But $30 a month?  Rofl, trying to make this like the movies now? Just stop.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    I can imagine people spend over 60 a month just trying new games looking for that new fix.

Ah, but unless you buy a game a month, it's not possible to maintain that average.

If you don't locust your game play, you don't consume them that quickly anyway.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• OrenshiiOrenshii Member Posts: 61

I honestly dont know which i find more funny:

a. The people with no lives who post 4000 post a year on this forum (seriously get a life )

b. The replies on the threads that are down right moronic, uneducated or not even thought

through.

Anyone ever stop to think what mmo publishers watch this site? all your doing is feeding

them with intell about how gullable and easy you all are to ripp off. It reminds me of those

meetings people hold to try and educate people on how not to get scammed by others.

The intentions are great and even noble, But in the end all you did was teach more people

how to scam.

Truth is people are STUPID and will throw money at any old stupid thing. People have been buying

Madden from EA for years, despite the game only getting worse and basically a clone from the

year before, This goes for CoD also. People paid 45$ a month to register as a premium in golfstars,

even though the company did nothing. People go out like lemmings and buy the New I-Phone every

year, despite the one they have working just fine. 

When it boils down to 1 question, all i have is this;

"Seriously, Have you all lost all concept of ownership?"

Then again I suppose if all your money is invisable, its hard to understand concept of ownership.

But after all the names and posts i see on this forum, I know my nightmare has become true. The

world is indeed FULL of morons. Myself included because i stooped so low to give into my  2 cents

on stopping by like you did. But I wonder.... will this leave an impression on someone? unless

people learn to see the forest through the trees i doubt it.

O-renshii

Destiny has cheated me
    By forcing me to decide upon
    The woman that I idolise
    Or the hands of an automaton

Without these hands I can't complete
    The opera that was captivating her
    But if I keep them, and she marries him
    Then he probably won't want me dating her

• iConspiracyiConspiracy Member UncommonPosts: 12

I never understand why people are so angsty about subscription fees... If I'm not playing one of my current mmos/games or working I'll probably be out at the pub, cinema or somewhere, spending £10-20 on that one event that lasts a few hours at most. £13/month for a quality game is a -Bargain-. What you consider a quality game is however of course subjective.

For £30 a month I would of course expect something twice as good as whats on the current market (which is definitely possible haha... I'm looking at you ArcheAge :P)

As a kid when I was paying subs I was very much against them because I didn't really have a good concept of monetary value. Now that i'm independant and working I have no problem investing money into something which is bringing me entertainment, especially at such a good price.

• sharky81sharky81 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    For sure.
  • pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    I can imagine people spend over 60 a month just trying new games looking for that new fix.

Ah, but unless you buy a game a month, it's not possible to maintain that average.

If you don't locust your game play, you don't consume them that quickly anyway.

What games last longer then a few days anymore? People buy more then 1 game a month or spend a crap ton of money on a free to play game making it no longer free to play.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    for a flawless Skyrim mmo with a: truly HUGE seamless world, that has Wurm's terraforming. A deep player based crafting system like EvE. A deep and unrestricted building system (both houses as well as keeps and fortifications), full loot free for all wilderness, as well as all the Skyrim fluff like books, movable/droppable object, NPC houses you can enter, NPCs that actually live instead of always stand in one place, and actually will shunn known murderers/thiefs, and even revolt against their player lord if he doesn't provide security, or there are too many thiefs, or taxes are too high. horses that stay in the world. Thiefing system that works where you can steal from both players and NPCs. A jail system that works, a murderer system that works, smart free roaming world bosses, dungeons with actuall puzzles that change from time to time so that you never know how it's going to play out.  Weather systems with seasons and animal migration, and even world disasters like tsunamis, earthquakes, vulcanoes . Roaming heards of animals that will actually try avoid player settlements . Naval warfare even better then DF. A political system where you can actually rule over NPC cities after yo uhave built your own castle (kind of like MO), etc,etc.......yea i would pay 30$ a month for that.  
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Orenshii

Anyone ever stop to think what mmo publishers watch this site? all your doing is feeding

them with intell about how gullable and easy you all are to ripp off. It reminds me of those

meetings people hold to try and educate people on how not to get scammed by others.

The intentions are great and even noble, But in the end all you did was teach more people

how to scam.

So what if they read? They can see that there are people willing to pay for a top quality MMO. We have seen enough f2p, p2w and b2p games already and none of them has been anything worth remembering. I have always advocated sub fee because this keeps at least several sociopaths away, higher sub fee works as even better barrier. Of course the game must be good enough or it won't get any subscribers at all with a 30-40 bucks sub.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by Orenshii

how to scam.

So what if they read? They can see that there are people willing to pay for a top quality MMO. We have seen enough f2p, p2w and b2p games already and none of them has been anything worth remembering. I have always advocated sub fee because this keeps at least several sociopaths away, higher sub fee works as even better barrier. Of course the game must be good enough or it won't get any subscribers at all with a 30-40 bucks sub.

Yup, not sure what thread he was reading, but I am seeing this thread basically making a statement, that most consumers are not enjoying the MMORPG games stuffed in front of their face right now, and its not the subscription model that's dying but the crap games being developed and that they want better, and they would be willing to pay for it if neccessary. That there is a indeed market here, and that a MMO should be different than interactive movie games such as Mass Effect etc and have long term goals and continuous content.

In short, it's the same thing I have been feeling a long time, and that is.. todays games suck, do something about it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Let's be realistic here, there is not a developer out there that has the skillset to make it.

I doubt I would spend that much money on one game.  I always sub to a couple so I don't get bored with just one.