Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you sub $29.99 a month to a MMORPG if the game was just that incredible?

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

This thread should have a poll.

Yes. for my perfect game i would pay that much a month. no problem.

Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Yes, but it would have to be a truly mind-blowing game. Like something I couldn't stop myself from playing all the time.

How about for a MMO like this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_Art_Online

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    14.99 is my limit. Anymore than that, and I stick with F2P

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• MackeskimoMackeskimo Member Posts: 50

Yes, if the game was like Sword Art Online (not the dying part, but the cerebral full immersion) then yes I would.

Literally living in another world would kick ass, as long as I can take the helmet off, Of course.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Hell fecking no!  I might pay $15 or a bit more if it was my dream game, but then it could have no micro-transactions what so ever including xpacs, cash shops, paid renames, and the rest of that sort of bunk.

remember this is YOUR dream MMO. So it can have w/e you want in it. what would THAT game be worth a month TO YOU>

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Yes.  I pay $150 for cable and internet, $15 for netflix, about $45 for various MMO's, and that's not even going into stuff like the occassional movie ticket or new video game release.

I could see paying $30 a month for an MMO, especially if it meant dropping other subs and not getting as many new games.

You make me like charity

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by mikecackle

Imagine your most favorite MMORPG game ever in your head and say it exists and you play it full time every day.. And it has so much content you couldnt shake your snake at it all...Would you sub $29.99 a month to this type of game? What's the most you would pay for a monthly subscription?

Or do you think no matter how good a game is, its only worth a minimal fee?

Inflation? Perhaps, otherwise heck no fool!!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I'd prefer games to bring back the old EQ Legends server model where players can pay more to play on a server that doesn't have poor people on it.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

heh some of these replies... I'm almost embarrassed to say I spend about 100 bucks a month on video games presently (almost). And thats down from about 150 a month in my twenties. I spend about 30-40 bucks a month on indie games ;p, a monthly sub or two, and a single player game about every other month.

• CatbertCatbert Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Ichmen

honestly 30 bucks is a tad rich for me on a game. i have to rationalize droping 30-60 bucks on a game as it is. even if its preorder (which is rare now...thankyou fking devs for the garbage you sold)

but honestly if we are thinking about this.. in a magical dream world.. then maybe. 

if money isnt an issue and the game fullfills 110% of what it promises, launches without a single bug. no cheats no problems just perfection. then i could see my self paying that. 

though i get gamer ADD so its very rare for me to p2p mmos anymore. most dont hold my attention for more then a month  30bucks would require almost 24/7 playtime to make the price worth it at times. even if it was perfect, price would still have to be met with value of time.

and catbert if you are talking about "risk your life" as a perfect mmo... while i would love to see that game come back.. what it offered is so lacking to standards today :(  shame its gone

Yeah I know what you mean mate but all I can remember is having some truely fun moments in that game... The open world PvP was amazing and even though it was a grindfest to level up it was still fun to level in a group

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont understand why people freak out about MMO sub fees.  If I go to the movie ($7) and buy a popcorn ($4) and a drink ($3) I spend between $14 and $17 for 2 hours of entertainment.  I leave the theater with nothing for the rest of the month.  MMO's are so much more entertainment than that.  I would gladly pay $30 a month for a really good sandbox MMO. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Yes without a second of hesitation. If they released a proper Elder Scrolls MMO, Shadowrun MMO or heck even SWG2 that was done properly.
  • KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

My short answer is no.

However, I would consider 30 plus a month for a sub if the devs made it worth my while. At 30 dollars a month my expectations would be ridiculiously high, so much so that I don't think such a game is possible now or in the near future.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

It would have to be some kind of groundbreaking VR game for me to even consider $30 a month.

$20 maybe would be more realistic...again, it would have to seriously be something thats miles beyond what current games offer, and I can't really fathom anything that would get me that excited.

Otherwise just my favorite idea of what an MMO should/could be, no. I wouldn't pay more than $15.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Only if it came with a hot elven hooker......

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137

At first thought, yes.

But then a dream mmo... hmmm that would force me out of my social life, make me call in sick to work every other day, giving me bad food habits, getting bad hygiene etc etc. So that means I would sell my whole life for 30 bucks. Doesn't sound so appealing when you think about it. :D

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Yes.

If some could make my dream MMO, I'd happly pay $30 a month.

Otherwise, I'd pay $15 a month for someone elses dream MMO.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Why do people keep looking for ways to spend more money for doing the same thing? I'd almost suspect publisher sock puppets to post these things trying to convince people to spend more.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Well in the past I had 3 accounts of SWG so I was spending about $45 a month so yes I could spend $30 for a great game.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    max I would go would be 20 bucks and there would not be any type of cash shop
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    It would have to absolutely mindblowing. Still... it woul have to somehow justify the high fee... P&P style GMs perhaps?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    No!

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I could not and would not.  I wouldn't on a bus and not for a guy named Gus.  I wouldn't do this here, there or anywhere.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i will be happy to pay 10 dollars a month 
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Never.  I personally think paying a subscription to play only one game is not a very smart financial move.  However, there are many who disagree with me on that.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!