Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Launch of DF:UW postponed !

13»

Comments

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by karmath

Hate the game or love it, keep in mind that these guys had to commute to work through constant riots.

Think your daily is bad? The fact that they arnt bankrupt and their actually releasing something in the short term is pretty incredible imo.

This excuse no longer works on me, its been ongoing for years now. If my business's bottom line was being impacted by my geographic location ( regardless of how) I'd bloody move the company. The day we get an excuse titled " Sorry we can't hit this release becauce Tasos was ripped out of his vehicle and beaten with sticks" is the day I let the issues in Greece give me sympathy for AV. " Oh , Yeah there are riots here so we are late" excuses no longer cut it.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by jadedlevir
    Lawl, av's inability to meet a deadline as a company is pretty mindblowing. Missed it by almost a month... wonder how many more there will be.

I think the good money now is on first or second quarter 2013.  Definitely no release this year. :(

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98

I for one have grown very, very weary of Developers releasing their games prematurely with the idea that they can fix the game live.

Personally I find that much more insulting and unprofessional than having the release date pushed back a month.

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • BLOBtheTROLLBLOBtheTROLL Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Beacker
    Originally posted by khelbon

Originally posted by Krashner

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Originally posted by Grixxitt

Originally posted by Kaynos1972

Originally posted by Badaboom

Originally posted by Biskop

Originally posted by Crunchy222 Is anyone actually surprised?    
    No.
    No.
    No.
      No.
    No.
    No.

No.

No.

No.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Is anyone actually surprised?

No

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Badaboom

You are right about it being the same devs.  I really did love DF1 and have a lot of fond memores of my time there.  The thing that stands out to me is in 2010 I feel that Darkfall was at a tipping point.  People were starting to get their fill of Darkfall and were leaving/quiting.  The main complaints were that there were not enough sandbox features and Darkfall had become just a big pvp arena.  People were holidng out for the July expansion pack and it was supposed to have sandbox features which would renew interest in Darkfall.  The expansion/patch comes out and.....(drum roll)....we got funhulks.  That was their big sandbox feature. 

Before that, I thought AV understood what the players were asking for.  Local banking and zone specific resources.  Better, more fleshed out crafting system.  Things unrelated to pvp.  Systems in place that added complexity and layers of depth.  Nope, we got funhulks.

Were you "Big Badaboom" in DF1?

If so, you were directly responsible for me getting involved in the game. I was part of DFWA when we had Ruby, you gave me a raft tour of the entire area and your information and tips were instrumental in improving my game experience immensely.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Niburu

I know its hard to actually follow the development of Darkfall but in there defence they didn't pushed it back since 2010.

First thing they planned was a new expansion after hellfreeze. The project name of this expansion was darkfall 2010. They were adding more and more stuff, one of these things are the new monoliths and village system. So they chnaged the project name to the offical expansion name Darkfall:Arena. While adding more of the stuff they wanted they  unfortunately hit more and more engine limitations. A good example are the enviromental sounds. With the old engine they had to place every sound zone manually which is a shit ton of work instead of adding sound areas or sound to certain objects. Another example are load lags which couldn't be solved without having crashes as we had at release. 

So they had to change the engine and code it from scratch, this project was called Darkfall 2.0, an internal project name which changed later to the offical name Darkfall:Unholy Wars. so the decision to make a new game came while developing then ext expansion.

All this could have been communicated much better but AV fails horrible in this part and another thing is that they simply didn't know themself what to do. 

Your first sentence in second paragraph is wrong.

First of all there was the plan for DF2010 ! I hope you remember the very interview on this site where DF2010 where even the project has been named for the public the first time and Tasos expressed :

"in DF 2010 we focus on everything"

All what you mention was part of DF2010 including hellfreeze, ligntings and armors and "prestige classes", armor changes  and basically "double the items on Agon" (another Tasos  promise and quote), DX 10 support etc.

The outcome in 2010 was poor then,  just a hastily  gobbled together expansion named Hellfreeze missing all what was announced for DF2010. All the other features was then promised to be released Q2 2011 in the so called "Arena expansion". No one will forget Tasos words summer 2010 that "you would think prestige classes are difficult to implement but you wrong, everything has been designed and is ready just the coding needs to be done".  In September 2010 the envorinmental sounds have been "almost done" and we would "get a video next week". Everyone thought environmenatl sound would be  included in hellfreeze. That video of the environmental sounds has been presented a year later.

The "prestige classes" are the roles and obviously again Tasos mislead the customer by let them think they are on the way and will be released soon but at latest with the "Arena expansion".

We know how the laucnh of the "Arena  expansion" went.

My impression is, AV was near bankrupty loosing all the customers that dont want just a shallow game and most of the former developers gone either because of money or because of direction differences. Where is lead developer of DF1 Kjetil ?  However they needed money and developers to replace those who was gone. No one did work during that time in normal pace, thats why it got delayed from 2010  into almost 2013. It is the same expansion and what was planned (minus all the stuff they can't handle like sandbox)  but it couldn't be executed before the investor money they received this summer  motivated them to do some work. They even still not ready and many features are disabled btw.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I guarantee it's because of the first-person uproar.  It wasn't in and people were freaking, and now they're scrambling to cram it back in.
  • ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Maybe they announce wedding of Darkfall And Darkfall Unholy Wars? 12.12.12 is quite popular day for that! :o

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    I guarantee it's because of the first-person uproar.  It wasn't in and people were freaking, and now they're scrambling to cram it back in.

I would be happy with that outcome.

But I would still be surprised if it launches in 2012.

it will launch on there next date geese go back and look at the first delay for the first game its about the same time frame on the delay.  

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

funny how people think here on mmorpg..

This game will not launch in 2012.. its very simple..

so many lost souls here...

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by jadedlevir
    Lawl, av's inability to meet a deadline as a company is pretty mindblowing. Missed it by almost a month... wonder how many more there will be.

It could be because they are the only people working in Greece atm...Lol on a more serious note I would pencil in a 2013 date before you get to excited imo.

Asbo

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    Originally posted by tom_gore

They've been pushing this back since 2010

This. What'a a few more months?

its only going to be 3 weeks  

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better :)

Originally posted by Snoepie

funny how people think here on mmorpg..

This game will not launch in 2012.. its very simple..

so many lost souls here...

LOL dude i will bet you 5 bucks that it does. the hard concrete dates which means there close 

Originally posted by Raxeon

They've been pushing this back since 2010

This. What'a a few more months?

its only going to be 3 weeks  

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better :)

should look what i said about the feb release date of the first darkfall i was right there and im right here. i never even said it was goingto release the 20th of this month i wwas kind alooking back at the first release. But i also said only 1 weeks delay i was off on that