Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We dont want games - we want worlds.

1242526272830»

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Aelious
    You're posting in a thread on a site specific to MMOs not one about general gaming. Expect the reponses to reflect this.

MMOs are much more fun for me than single player games. Single player games just seem empty and devoid of life because they are other than you. Sure they are fun to a point but I'd rather play MMOs and socialize with others.

You sounds like you can't socialize other than in MMOs. Obviously not true. I can socialize in LOL. I can socialize in D3. I can socialize in MWO. None of them are MMOs.

And obvioulsy fun is subjective. I don't find MMOs, in general, more fun. Some MMOs are fun games .. just like some FPS are fun games. All genre (no matter how you define them) have good and bad games.

I was not comparing types of online games but rather single player games vs. online games.  Yes, I like to socialize even while at my computer but not just in a chat room.  The people who camp general chats of games are usually annoying enough.  You keep hitting the "fun" and "subjective" buttons when someone proposes something against what you are saying.  That it doesn't need to be that way for others to have fun.  Yep, you're right, moving on...

I did get a snicker at your presumptive putdown leading into your next point.

Point granted. But don't you think you ignore a large number of games by only comparing MMOs to SP games?

There are lots of non-MMOs as i pointed out before, that allows socialization. MMO has no monopoly on comunity, multiplayer, and socialization.

Lastly, you just posted your preference, so it is only appropriate to hit the "fun" and "subjective" button again. It is not like ideas here are not repeating 1000000 times. How often do we see the no-sandbox rant repeated? How often do we hear the "bad community" rant?

If repeating is not allowed in this forum, I think there won't be any traffic at all.

Nope, as the conversation can easily get distracted by the definition of "MMO", you of all people should be able to appreciate that.  I chose a strict line between SP and MMO as was discussed above this orignal quote and why I responded as such.  Looking back at those quotes, game companies chose to add a chat lobby to those games because other than the next match there was no way for player A to talk to player B within the games framework.  It kept people logged into "the system" and was a no brainer... is this supposed to be an innovation? AOL would disagree with you image

It's not up to me to keep track of what you or anyone else likes or prefers nor do I need to keep it in mind when I express what I like.  People may think what you like to do is not the best way or is boring.  Same with what I like.  So what?

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    You're posting in a thread on a site specific to MMOs not one about general gaming. Expect the reponses to reflect this.

MMOs are much more fun for me than single player games. Single player games just seem empty and devoid of life because they are other than you. Sure they are fun to a point but I'd rather play MMOs and socialize with others.

You sounds like you can't socialize other than in MMOs. Obviously not true. I can socialize in LOL. I can socialize in D3. I can socialize in MWO. None of them are MMOs.

And obvioulsy fun is subjective. I don't find MMOs, in general, more fun. Some MMOs are fun games .. just like some FPS are fun games. All genre (no matter how you define them) have good and bad games.

I was not comparing types of online games but rather single player games vs. online games.  Yes, I like to socialize even while at my computer but not just in a chat room.  The people who camp general chats of games are usually annoying enough.  You keep hitting the "fun" and "subjective" buttons when someone proposes something against what you are saying.  That it doesn't need to be that way for others to have fun.  Yep, you're right, moving on...

Point granted. But don't you think you ignore a large number of games by only comparing MMOs to SP games?

There are lots of non-MMOs as i pointed out before, that allows socialization. MMO has no monopoly on comunity, multiplayer, and socialization.

Lastly, you just posted your preference, so it is only appropriate to hit the "fun" and "subjective" button again. It is not like ideas here are not repeating 1000000 times. How often do we see the no-sandbox rant repeated? How often do we hear the "bad community" rant?

If repeating is not allowed in this forum, I think there won't be any traffic at all.

By socializing many do not mean just chilling and talking about how you painted your car last week or how you GF threw a tantrum and then you had make up sex in a chat room, or the score of the last sprts game, or the last episode of your favorite series etc etc.

What is meant is being able to immerse one's self in the virtual world and share the experience with others. No matter how SPGs can have Multiplayer capability permiting communication between players, this does not equal the experience of an MMO where the adventure, and the emotions it may cause are shared between people in a persistent fashion.

I too have a preference for MMO's, I still do play SPGs, but given the choice I would go for an MMO, and preferable a World MMO because the adventure if more conductive to interaction with other players than Themeparks.

MMO may not have a monopoly on Community but then again it depends how you define a Community. A bunch of Fans in a forum talking about a given game is not a community for me, it is just a grouping of Fans, which can be called a Community of player of XYZ game. But are they really forming a community?

Coommunity for the UO minded is the group of People who built, run and maintain a Player Run City inside the World, a community is a grouping of people with own shared and common traits as defined by them and is represented in a persistent manner within the game world associated with a specific location where this Community Lives. And while it can also be attributed to a bit more abstract groupings such as "The Role Play Community of Atlantic Shard", all of these people meet and interact in game work towards a common goal and participate in the improvement of the experience within the World.

In General within the broader sense of an MMO, these are the Characters and their Players which constitute the population and hsaring the evolution of a given server.

So the more an MMO impements mechanics and systems which push people towards Forum Interactions instead of in-world interactions the less Social these MMO's are perceived to be, and the also the less Community oriented they are.

Forums are a good way of communicating on certain context and topics, the proof is we are exchanging our ideas in a forum. But they are impersonal, and compared to the interaction of a Character with another within a given Virtual World they can also be considered asocial and not conductive to the atmosphere of a community.

WoW is a game that can be played Solo, and thus exchange of many topics happen in its forums, this is what forms its community, and often the comments about it are not good.

In UO I could log in an be invited for an evening by the fireplace to discuss the incursion of a band of murderers in the tower of the neigboring City. This experience I cannot have in the impersonal form of a Forum. or even better, join the weekly banquit the Community I am part of for a festive night spent in Social Interaction. I cannot have either in a non MMO game, and in a SPG only if it is part of the gameplay and then with an NPC not a real person represented by a Character in game.

I think by now it is obvious thatthe meaning of the word Community means different things to diferent players, and so I think it is important to be able to discern who is using it and under what meaning and from which context.

In a thread such as this one, where people want a World game, I take it as it is meant in the UO meaning. The community of the grouping of players that share a part of the world together have built on it, shaped it according to their vision and develloped unique traits and customs which chracterises them, share in daily activities, share adventures, stories, sorrows and joys, identify as kindred.

Any other meaning is beyond the topic and irrelevant and trivial. And certainly not a basis upon which to make any valid argument.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Suraknar

By socializing many do not mean just chilling and talking about how you painted your car last week or how you GF threw a tantrum and then you had make up sex in a chat room, or the score of the last sprts game, or the last episode of your favorite series etc etc.

What is meant is being able to immerse one's self in the virtual world and share the experience with others. No matter how SPGs can have Multiplayer capability permiting communication between players, this does not equal the experience of an MMO where the adventure, and the emotions it may cause are shared between people in a persistent fashion.

I too have a preference for MMO's, I still do play SPGs, but given the choice I would go for an MMO, and preferable a World MMO because the adventure if more conductive to interaction with other players than Themeparks.

MMO may not have a monopoly on Community but then again it depends how you define a Community. A bunch of Fans in a forum talking about a given game is not a community for me, it is just a grouping of Fans, which can be called a Community of player of XYZ game. But are they really forming a community?

Coommunity for the UO minded is the group of People who built, run and maintain a Player Run City inside the World, a community is a grouping of people with own shared and common traits as defined by them and is represented in a persistent manner within the game world associated with a specific location where this Community Lives. And while it can also be attributed to a bit more abstract groupings such as "The Role Play Community of Atlantic Shard", all of these people meet and interact in game work towards a common goal and participate in the improvement of the experience within the World.

In General within the broader sense of an MMO, these are the Characters and their Players which constitute the population and hsaring the evolution of a given server.

So the more an MMO impements mechanics and systems which push people towards Forum Interactions instead of in-world interactions the less Social these MMO's are perceived to be, and the also the less Community oriented they are.

Forums are a good way of communicating on certain context and topics, the proof is we are exchanging our ideas in a forum. But they are impersonal, and compared to the interaction of a Character with another within a given Virtual World they can also be considered asocial and not conductive to the atmosphere of a community.

WoW is a game that can be played Solo, and thus exchange of many topics happen in its forums, this is what forms its community, and often the comments about it are not good.

In UO I could log in an be invited for an evening by the fireplace to discuss the incursion of a band of murderers in the tower of the neigboring City. This experience I cannot have in the impersonal form of a Forum. or even better, join the weekly banquit the Community I am part of for a festive night spent in Social Interaction. I cannot have either in a non MMO game, and in a SPG only if it is part of the gameplay and then with an NPC not a real person represented by a Character in game.

I think by now it is obvious thatthe meaning of the word Community means different things to diferent players, and so I think it is important to be able to discern who is using it and under what meaning and from which context.

In a thread such as this one, where people want a World game, I take it as it is meant in the UO meaning. The community of the grouping of players that share a part of the world together have built on it, shaped it according to their vision and develloped unique traits and customs which chracterises them, share in daily activities, share adventures, stories, sorrows and joys, identify as kindred.

Any other meaning is beyond the topic and irrelevant and trivial. And certainly not a basis upon which to make any valid argument.

hope this will slap some sense into their heads, altho i doubt it...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Suraknar

"emotions it may cause"??? Realy? for a game? I don't live in a virtual world and "share experience". I play games .. sometimes with friends or strangers .. to be entertained for a while.

Certainly. You can have any preferences. But don't sound like your preference is more valid than others. To be honest, many SP games are more fun than MMOs. I prefer games with good combat, good gameplay mechanics. I don't see that in many world games. And interaction ... don't really care .. only if it enhances gameplay.

True. For your narrow definition, it may have. But i am not limiting myself to that narrow of a definition. And what is really community but just a bunch of people.

It is not mythical and all power. Just a bunch of people. If you don't like them, find another bunch to play with.

Not interested. Too much work. Don't make it too much like RL. Do you have to go to meetings too? Raiding is already too much commitment & work.

Don't really care about a given server. That limits whom i can play with.

And i don't play games to "discuss this" or "discuss that". I played UO for a while .. bad combat mechanics, horribly progression (in beta) .. and all these other stuff .. not the reason i play games.

Very obvious. And i think it is clear. YOu want a game world that has as much flavors as a real world as possible .. that people actually need to meet, and talk, and work ...

I don't. I want a good game, preferably less commitment, on my schedule, and focus on a few good gameplay elements. If combat mechanics is not fun, i am not interested in killing monster, nor pvp.

"kindred" in a game? Count me out. Don't get me wrong, i make friends in online games too (and i was in multiple WOW guilds .. but you are taking this way too seriously.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by xeniar

hope this will slap some sense into their heads, altho i doubt it...

Nope. it is good. Make it very clear that he wants a different kind of games than what i want. Good luck to him to get what he wants.

I doubt i will ever want to play a game like a second life, or a job, but that is his perogative to want it.