Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We dont want games - we want worlds.

Comments

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I think that its high time for game companies that want to make MMOs to understand one simple thing about MMO player :

We have millions of games - Halo , Super Mario , Starcraft , Monkey Island , Baldurs Gate ... to note few genre stars.

Now they want to take these games and add multiplayer aspect - and slap brand this MMORPG.

This my friends is the themepark world. And the direction its moving ( we are seeing mmofps , mmo platformer , mmo sport , even mmo adventure - beside more traditional mmorpg approach )

But this is not what we are here for ... not what we wanted...

When I played games before the era of internet , this was not what I dreamed of - Super Mario with oter people playing.

No.

What I dreamed was Ultima Online

This dream was shared in developer community that was young and not GREED oriented as today.

And than it stopped. Because its easier to just make a game and add multiplayer element.

And we have what we have today. Shallow abominations. Most laughable of which would be MMOs that came 2012. Basically Single player games with other people running around.

This. That much is obvious - will not fly anymore.

We want worlds.

You can call it sandbox. I call it Virtual world simulation games.

Worlds that have its rules , its economy , its inhabitants , its dangers , its politics - and than we are put inside - and become part of them.

Sadly only good and sucessful modern example of this is EVE online.

The game that caters bit to much to agressive player.... but there is so much potential around.

Will we ever see it ?

Lead by an example if you really want to speak for 'us'.

Start by stop buying and supporting games like GW2. When you cna do that i will take you more seriously.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Yamota

He speaks for me so the 'we' is definetely appropriate as there are lots of us who yearns for a virtual world MMO. We does not mean everyone.

Of course, anyone critical of the industry in any way is speaking for you. 

You're a very reliable "Me Too".

But regardless of the agreeability (or not) of his message, he doesn't have the right to elect himself to speak for everyone.

LOL ... ok for fun i will join this total derailement of serios topic.

When I say WE , I mean people that agree with me. Which are many.

But Icewite , your idea for gamer forums president/king/representative is awesome !

Tell me when you organise the elections (i assume it will be democratic choice , and you dont plan violent revolution to set (yourself as) dictator) I will love to run for it !

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Start by stop buying and supporting games like GW2. When you cna do that i will take you more seriously.

I will totally change my game buying habbits right now ! Because I really care that you personally take me seriously.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    But Icewite , your idea for gamer forums president/king/representative is awesome !

Tell me when you organise the elections (i assume it will be democratic choice , and you dont plan violent revolution to set (yourself as) dictator) I will love to run for it !

All I want is for you to drop the hubris and speak for yourself, with your own voice. 

It isn't that hard, really.  "What I would like to see...etc."

I know, we've all been speaking Condescending for so long that it's almost unthinkable...but do try.  Drop the Rebel Leader act.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

I will totally change my game buying habbits right now ! Because I really care that you personally take me seriously.

So why even bother to make OP then? because if continue to support games like GW2 and then make an OP about wanting a world and ask 'if we will ever get it'. What is the point? just to raise the stink?

No one takes an alcoholic seriously when he gives advice to others on stop drinking because it is bad for their health. You need to stop drinking first and then you can speak on behalf of others. Simple logic.

So yeah sorry bud but you do need to change your gaming habits to give credibility to your OP. All i see is double standards especially when you write stuff like this...

And we have what we have today. Shallow abominations. Most laughable of which would be MMOs that came 2012. Basically Single player games with other people running around.

Sounds more like a politician talk to me.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Lobotomist Originally posted by Whitebeards  
    Lead by an example if you really want to speak for 'us'. Start by stop buying and supporting games like GW2. When you cna do that i will take you more seriously.
    So why even bother to make OP then? because if continue to support games like GW2 and then make an OP about wanting a world and ask 'if we will ever get it'. What is the point? just to raise the stink?

No one takes an alcoholic seriously when he gives advice to others on stop drinking because it is bad for their health. You need to stop drinking first and then you can speak on behalf of others. Simple logic.

So yeah sorry bud but you do need to change your gaming habits to give credibility to your OP. All i see is double standards especially when you write stuff like this...

I wish people would stop trying to use analogies on forums. They just don't work.

People do listen to alcoholics when they say you shouldn't drink, because (a) it's good advice and (b) they are a good example of what can happen to you if you're alcoholic and you drink.

The problem with the OP is that there are people who don't want worlds, they want games. If this weren't the case, games like GW2 wouldn't sell millions of copies in a couple weeks. There is no "We", only "Me, and other people who think like me". It's the phrasing, nothing more.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by lizardbones

The problem with the OP is that there are people who don't want worlds, they want games. If this weren't the case, games like GW2 wouldn't sell millions of copies in a couple weeks. There is no "We", only "Me, and other people who think like me". It's the phrasing, nothing more.

I don't object to his message, at all.  Just his tone, delivery.  You do see politicians do it, quite often.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Lead by an example if you really want to speak for 'us'. Start by stop buying and supporting games like GW2. When you cna do that i will take you more seriously.

I wish people would stop trying to use analogies on forums. They just don't work.

People do listen to alcoholics when they say you shouldn't drink, because (a) it's good advice and (b) they are a good example of what can happen to you if you're alcoholic and you drink.

My anology was just simple way to show that if you want others to agree with you on something and you decide to stand on the soapbox to speak on their behalf, it is better to lead by an example.

Supporting games like GW2 and then makign statements about 'wanting the world, sandbox and how games are pathetic in 2012' makes his whole OP very contradictory.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Good post OP but wether or not this actually happens is an entirely different story.

Lets consider the crazy possibility that person can enjoy several different types of games.

GW2 is high quality game with very dedicated team behind it. Its fun CASUAL game. But should not be considered real MMO - world. As nothing made 2012 should.

And I think its also very important game for MMO history - because it put the nail in the coffin of subscription fees for themepark games.

I think everyone should buy it , and thus demonstrate that we dont want to pay subscription for shallow themepark games anymore.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

... GW2 is high quality game with very dedicated team behind it. Its fun CASUAL game. But should not be considered real MMO - world. As nothing made 2012 should.

I think everyone should buy it , and thus demonstrate that we dont want to pay subscription for shallow themepark games anymore.

Thus everybody should buy a "shallow abomination" when it has a cash shop instead of a subscription? You'd better stop arguing, Lobotomist, it's getting ridiculous.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Well. I guess i understand what you want to say. But, those statement is wrong. It is true, that we want worlds, but this doesnt contrasting gaming. We want worlds, but a world without a good amount of gaming in it isnt worth a lot.

Raph Koster, and a few other, have written a lot about this. The book "Theory of fun" from him is just one book about exactly this. And he got a lot of good articles on that subject on his site, too.

Worlds and games is not always contraticting, you can have actually both.

And UO may be a world(although very limited), but it was also a game, or more precisely a lot of games in it. I see it as that. A lot of mmorpgs nowaday focus to much on one game, and abondon the world thing. But it could be a world and different game types in it. That should be the way to go.. and Raph Koster(one of the few who actually did it) tried that with UO and later on with SWG. Sometimes i wish he would try another big budget mmo project.. but for that he need the money and creative freedom, too.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Well. I guess i understand what you want to say. But, those statement is wrong. It is true, that we want worlds, but this doesnt contrasting gaming. We want worlds, but a world without a good amount of gaming in it isnt worth a lot.

Raph Koster, and a few other, have written a lot about this. The book "Theory of fun" from him is just one book about exactly this. And he got a lot of good articles on that subject on his site, too.

Worlds and games is not always contraticting, you can have actually both.

And UO may be a world(although very limited), but it was also a game, or more precisely a lot of games in it. I see it as that. A lot of mmorpgs nowaday focus to much on one game, and abondon the world thing. But it could be a world and different game types in it. That should be the way to go.. and Raph Koster(one of the few who actually did it) tried that with UO and later on with SWG. Sometimes i wish he would try another big budget mmo project.. but for that he need the money and creative freedom, too.

I would love to see Koster do another MMO without the product getting rushed by higher ups.  The man was on the right track.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Nice post OP.. as much as I agree and wish for a "world builder" MMO, I think we are outnumbers by the EPEEN chasers..  It seems that a majority of the mmo gamers today do not play to be part of a community to live in dynamic living worlds like AD&D, but want to play shoot em up e-sport games that award bragging rights gear to show off how big their epeen is..

Thing is.. I can understand the pride people feel when they take down the big bad dragon, and recieve unique loot.. But why does it hace to be power changing loot..  We've all seen the effects that "gear check" had in WoW, and it isn't much different in other similar games.. All this does is "divide" the community up into social status segements using gear level..  I saw this lead to so many drama issues, it made me feel as if I was dealing with high schoolers again...

Maybe one day we'll find a dev team that builds worlds and communities, instead of tearing them apart, or having them fight amongst themselves..

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Whitebeards Originally posted by Lobotomist Originally posted by Whitebeards  
    So why even bother to make OP then? because if continue to support games like GW2 and then make an OP about wanting a world and ask 'if we will ever get it'. What is the point? just to raise the stink?   No one takes an alcoholic seriously when he gives advice to others on stop drinking because it is bad for their health. You need to stop drinking first and then you can speak on behalf of others. Simple logic. So yeah sorry bud but you do need to change your gaming habits to give credibility to your OP. All i see is double standards especially when you write stuff like this... And we have what we have today. Shallow abominations. Most laughable of which would be MMOs that came 2012. Basically Single player games with other people running around. Sounds more like a politician talk to me.
    I wish people would stop trying to use analogies on forums. They just don't work. People do listen to alcoholics when they say you shouldn't drink, because (a) it's good advice and (b) they are a good example of what can happen to you if you're alcoholic and you drink. The problem with the OP is that there are people who don't want worlds, they want games. If this weren't the case, games like GW2 wouldn't sell millions of copies in a couple weeks. There is no "We", only "Me, and other people who think like me". It's the phrasing, nothing more.  
    My anology was just simple way to show that if you want others to agree with you on something and you decide to stand on the soapbox to speak on their behalf, it is better to lead by an example.

Supporting games like GW2 and then makign statements about 'wanting the world, sandbox and how games are pathetic in 2012' makes his whole OP very contradictory.

There really aren't that many sandbox or 'world' games to choose from. It could be argued that you have Eve, and that's it. What if you want a game with a world, but you don't like Eve? What if the other games that have worlds just suck? Does that mean the OP should suffer through those cr@ppy games to prove a point?

It's not relevant whether the OP plays GW2 or not. What's relevant is how well they've argued their point. It's the argument that matters, attacking the person instead of the argument is just bad form. I think they've argued their point poorly. Simply put, a lot of people want games, not worlds. Their use of the term, "We" was poorly chosen.

Finally, analogies are just a poor way to get your point across. If your audience doesn't agree with or understand what you're saying without an analogy, using an analogy isn't going to help.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Lets consider the crazy possibility that person can enjoy several different types of games.

GW2 is high quality game with very dedicated team behind it. Its fun CASUAL game. But should not be considered real MMO - world. As nothing made 2012 should.

And I think its also very important game for MMO history - because it put the nail in the coffin of subscription fees for themepark games.

Your OP doesn't come across as words of someone who is actually enjoying several different types of games.

But you are saying that you don't have problem playing shallow themepark MMOS but problem is that you don't want t pay sub for it? and how is that helpign the current situation which led you to make OP? mere words don't do crap. You keep getting shallow themepark MMOS because you and others keep paying for it. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I really feel as if people are not asking for games instead of worlds.  I think the developers are just giving us games instead of worlds.

For all the people that are against this post, I'll bet a million dollars they would be playing and loving a world instead of a game !!!!

One last thing, GuildWars 2 is a game with others on line.

• Vion1xVion1x Member Posts: 188
    So true op!
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

There really aren't that many sandbox or 'world' games to choose from. 

I didnt read the thread, but sandbox and worlds are two 100% different things.

EQ1 wasnt a sandbox, but Norrath felt like a world

Vanilla World of Warcraft was a themepark, but it had a world feeling about it.

Rift ifeels like a game.  big difference.

GW2 is closer to the world feeling but i feel its not quite there.  the capital cities are by far the best thing in the game to that extent.  So full of life and flavor.

There really aren't that many sandbox or 'world' games to choose from. It could be argued that you have Eve, and that's it. What if you want a game with a world, but you don't like Eve? What if the other games that have worlds just suck? Does that mean the OP should suffer through those cr@ppy games to prove a point?

It's not relevant whether the OP plays GW2 or not. What's relevant is how well they've argued their point. It's the argument that matters, attacking the person instead of the argument is just bad form. I think they've argued their point poorly. Simply put, a lot of people want games, not worlds. Their use of the term, "We" was poorly chosen.

Finally, analogies are just a poor way to get your point across. If your audience doesn't agree with or understand what you're saying without an analogy, using an analogy isn't going to help.

I have over 500 hours invested in GW2. How would you feel if i start preachign you all about sad state of themeparks in 2012 and then ask you a question 'why' and 'if we will ever get a world'? i would be such a hypocrite not to realise that i am actually part of the problem i am complaining about.

Ii think answer is obvious because people buy and support such games including OP according to whom GW2 is a shallow themepark MMO with one saving grace that is B2P.

And i fail to see where i attacked OP? telling him to practise what he preaches is an attack? well matter of prespective i guess.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Games are designed to engage you in some way, to allow you to experience something, to fulfill a desire to experience something. That 'something' might be a challenge, or an interesting story, or pretending to be somebody else. It might be a chance to show an aspect of yourself to others, or a chance to show others that you're more skilled than them.

There are many things that a game can offer you. It can offer you an experience based around discovery, if that's what you're looking for. Or expressing yourself. But you gain nothing by saying "Well, I don't want WoW or RIFT because those are games—what I want is a world." The thing you want is also a game! It's a game designed around core aesthetics that aren't even that uncommon. You may as well drop the act that there's something special about games that don't have any game in them.

Because—and think really hard about this, now—what are you accomplishing by badmouthing games in favor of so-called worlds? All you're trying to do is the same thing people did to gamers in general before video gaming went mainstream. You're name calling. The thing you're asking for is no less of a game than Black Ops or Borderlands or WoW; those are just designed to deliver a different experience (challenge, grinding, narrative). Describing your preferred game as something other than a game, something more than a game, is just pretentious.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Traugar
    Originally posted by Apraxis

I would love to see Koster do another MMO without the product getting rushed by higher ups.  The man was on the right track.

Its too bad Sony didn't hire Raph for EQnext then I would have been excited. Now its just a hope that it might be good instead of knowing.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Not to be rude or anything I don't mean to disrepect you or anyone else when I say this.  If you and whoever else agrees with your feeling.   Feel so strongly about it why aren't you willing to put up your own money to see it happen?  It's easy to say "Hey developers/publishers this it what I want from games".   When you aren't putting up your own time or money to make it happen. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but thats all I constantly hear all the time. Complaints about the MMO genre. Armchair developers who have never worked on a game a day in their life that believe they can do it better.  People that sat in a guild with a few hundred people, and then believe they know what everyone wants. People that have played alot of MMO's and believe they can do it better.  Yet when it's all said in done, they want someone else to create what they believe is "the perfect MMO".

There is plenty of interest with the new kickstarter stuff thats been happening lately.  There are plenty of writers looking to prove their worth.  Plenty of game designers/programmers that are looking for somewhere to start.  Plenty of untapped artist out there. I mean if you all can really do something better, why not get the ball rolling there.  Why expect developers/publishers that have disappointed you so much in the past, to fork out money like that.

I know your post wasn't "pro-sandbox" thing. Though as someone else said earlier in this thread.  How many of you (not refering to you OP) have supported any of the sandboxes that have came out? Answer is probably not alot. Sandbox people are just too picky about things IMHO. The response you get from them when you ask them have they supported any of the recent or earlier sandboxes.  Always boils down to some lame excuse of it not having this, that, or the other.  Then the "oh it has a few bugs" people that refuse to play it for that minor reason.  So honestly as a developer/publisher who has to pay employees, has expenses, may or may not have a family to feed, and investors to answer to. Why should I gamble on a fickle group of players.  That at best since the days of UO have proven to be "niche".

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Roin

Not to be rude or anything I don't mean to disrepect you or anyone else when I say this.  If you and whoever else agrees with your feeling.   Feel so strongly about it why aren't you willing to put up your own money to see it happen?  It's easy to say "Hey developers/publishers this it what I want from games".   When you aren't putting up your own time or money to make it happen. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but thats all I constantly hear all the time. Complaints about the MMO genre. Armchair developers who have never worked on a game a day in their life that believe they can do it better.  People that sat in a guild with a few hundred people, and then believe they know what everyone wants. People that have played alot of MMO's and believe they can do it better.  Yet when it's all said in done, they want someone else to create what they believe is "the perfect MMO".

There is plenty of interest with the new kickstarter stuff thats been happening lately.  There are plenty of writers looking to prove their worth.  Plenty of game designers/programmers that are looking for somewhere to start.  Plenty of untapped artist out there. I mean if you all can really do something better, why not get the ball rolling there.  Why expect developers/publishers that have disappointed you so much in the past, to fork out money like that.

I know your post wasn't "pro-sandbox" thing. Though as someone else said earlier in this thread.  How many of you (not refering to you OP) have supported any of the sandboxes that have came out? Answer is probably not alot. Sandbox people are just too picky about things IMHO. The response you get from them when you ask them have they supported any of the recent or earlier sandboxes.  Always boils down to some lame excuse of it not having this, that, or the other.  Then the "oh it has a few bugs" people that refuse to play it for that minor reason.  So honestly as a developer/publisher who has to pay employees, has expenses, may or may not have a family to feed, and investors to answer to. Why should I gamble on a fickle group of players.  That at best since the days of UO have proven to be "niche".

Yea I will get right on that. 0_0 Just what I want to do give someone my money for a product that isn't even out yet. The track recored for sandbox games from hole in the wall companies is pretty bad. I will wait for a finished product before I decide to hand over my money. 

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by delete5230
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by delete5230

Well, I'm back to WoW Vanilla WoW that is.  Where life is hard again, I've been playing for days and only got to level 18 on my Druid.  I had to take two harvestings, Herblism and Skining because I'll need 90 gold by level 40.  Life in Darkshore is hard, at times I have to wait for someone to come along to help.  But you know what.....I'm making friends, this is something I have not seen in several years. " I have a friends list ", none of that auto group crap. I was out of town for a month and found that I just could not log into GW2. Why?....That is not an mmo.  It's a game with others around you, bottom line ! 

Today I should be able to do the Deadmines as a Tank and I'm somewhat new to tanking, so I hope I do well.  If it's a total desaster I'll re-spec as a healer.  Without the dungeon finder I should be ok to find groups fast being a tank or a healer, along with using the social panel > who to search out others.

The server I'm on is only to level 60, but thats ok, It will take me forever to get their.  Try gogling Emralddream. I'm sooo sick of what we have today.  They are not mmo's.

Somis this an official vanilla wow server, what is the rule set. I left WOW before battlegrounds, i level to 60 and done all the content that was their at the time then left. I had a hunter which i really like, have they introduced the named pets that you use to get.

Im spent hours in one zone waiting for this cat that had a faster attack speed than other cats of that level.

I've actually played Vanguard since beta which really is a world and is a vast game that really takes you back to the days of EQ.

I would give vanilla WOW a go though just for a break though, is the server low population then.

Very populated...........And It's a community too, so you can't be a Ass Hat.

Any links to information.