Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What "Server Full" means

12346»

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    Originally posted by Calerxes

It doesn't matter if you "agree" with me - ArenaNet have clearly stated that it counts the number of accounts currently playing on that server, and well, you can see above the server list and how it looks.

Yeah, that's a lot of full servers. More than last week, I can tell you.

It's really very simple.

I guess I should not be surprised to find SWTOR defenders to be a little delusional when everyone knows for a fact what a disaster that game was.

The number of "accounts" playing on a server so its the account now not just a player.. So if the account is counted couldn't the alts on the account be counted as well.. Interesting I must retire and think about this new development. 

It has always been account. Each 1 player = 1 account. You can have different alts, it's still 1 account. This has been explicitly stated.

I don't get what's so hard to understand. Servers are full. Each unit contributing to the full server is 1 account assumed to be 1 player. It is that simple.

But a server status of Full is meaningless unless we now what full is, 1 player, 2 players, 3 players + alts (oops how that get in there) I'm disbuting your notion that servers are filling up inferring that GW2 is growing its playerbase, which from the history of AAA MMO's since 2004 has been the opposite after 3 months, so I have history on my side. You are using the same excuses you dismissed in other games. When I used to play AOC on a medium RP server there were no more than 200 players online at peak but the server status was medium, Funcom were trying to com people into believing AOC was doing well when it wasn't and everyone knew that. So Greyhooff you can pontificate all you like but you have no proof, provide concrete proof and I'll stop calling you a hypocrite.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by tank017
    I knew there was a catch somewhere.My char is level 43 and everywhere I've been since about level 30 has been a ghost town..on a 'full server'

There's more than one possibility here. One, the server your on isn't actually full. Two, there aren't that many people in the level range you're in - they've maxed out their characters and are not rolling alts.

There would be at least some people who rolled alts and have gotten as far as 40 though.I'm lucky to see (literally) 2 people in 2-3 hours of play.
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

It doesn't matter if you "agree" with me - ArenaNet have clearly stated that it counts the number of accounts currently playing on that server, and well, you can see above the server list and how it looks.

Yeah, that's a lot of full servers. More than last week, I can tell you.

It's really very simple.

I guess I should not be surprised to find SWTOR defenders to be a little delusional when everyone knows for a fact what a disaster that game was.

I would just like to point out that it was far from "clearly", which is why this thread exists in the first place.  Also, I could say "I am currently playing on the XYZ server on WoW" (I'm not, but I could say).  That doesn't mean that I am necessarily playing WoW at this very instant.  It could mean that when I do play WoW, I play on the XYZ server.  Even if I never actually play WoW, my characters exist there and I could still make that statement, referring to where I would play, if I were to play at this time.  English allows all sorts of meanings.  This is why I feel the community managers response was a bit disingenuous.  They definetly did not answer in a way I would consider clear and it even looks like they answered questions they wanted to answer, not quite the question that was asked.  It could also be that community manager just doesn't undertstand/speak English very well.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I knew there was a catch somewhere.My char is level 43 and everywhere I've been since about level 30 has been a ghost town..on a 'full server'

Having quite the opposite experience on Sea of Sorrow. Leveling my Engineer as my first alt, hes now up to 50, and havent soloed much at all. There are always 3-10 other people doing DEs in the zones that I am in. Not the zerg like when the game first came out, but I find it more enjoyable, and the DEs are a lot more interesting with smaller groups.

Maybe it is the choice of zones as well, I am doing the Charr / Norn zones this time around since my main was Sylvari.  

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbonesOriginally posted by tank017

There's more than one possibility here. One, the server your on isn't actually full. Two, there aren't that many people in the level range you're in - they've maxed out their characters and are not rolling alts.

There would be at least some people who rolled alts and have gotten as far as 40 though.I'm lucky to see (literally) 2 people in 2-3 hours of play.

I don't play GW2. Got through the beta, thought it was cool, but didn't want to actually start playing. The people I know who do play aren't rolling alts. They're also still playing. They're running around on their max level characters.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned forum activity here. There is a lot of it. There's no way to tie that in to actual numbers, but I've played games that died. I know what dying forums look like. The GW2 forums don't look like that.

This is a common problem with tiered or gated content. The lower tiers are full because a lot of people roll low level alts and never progress them. The top tiers are full because a lot of people get at least one max level character. Finally, yes, the population is dropping over time. A little or a lot, it's happening. At least I assume it is. I haven't seen any indication that the population is actually growing. The middle tier levels are empty because those are the odd man out tiers. There was a thread in these forums discussing this very topic. It's a common problem and by itself doesn't indicate anything in particular.

The problem with your assumption is that dead servers and lack of alts looks exactly the same to someone in those middle tiers. You're automatically assuming that everyone left the game when they could all be running around having fun in WvW.

The real important part here is what you want to do. Do you want to get to max level or not? If not, quit whining and get out of the game. Move on with your life. Answer is the same if you want to get to max level. Quit whining. It doesn't take that long and you'll know soon enough if the server is actually dead or not.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by evilastro

Having quite the opposite experience on Sea of Sorrow. Leveling my Engineer as my first alt, hes now up to 50, and havent soloed much at all. There are always 3-10 other people doing DEs in the zones that I am in. Not the zerg like when the game first came out, but I find it more enjoyable, and the DEs are a lot more interesting with smaller groups.

Maybe it is the choice of zones as well, I am doing the Charr / Norn zones this time around since my main was Sylvari.  

I've been trying to level a human warrior on Darkhaven and have been stuck soloing the DEs which is very boring. The server is listed as heavy to full throughout the day. Which is why I don't take these server numbers too seriously.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Kingmob23
    Originally posted by evilastro

I've been trying to level a human warrior on Darkhaven and have been stuck soloing the DEs which is very boring. The server is listed as heavy to full throughout the day. Which is why I don't take these server numbers too seriously.

As long as any game uses 'generic' terminology instead of actual figures, then there is a fair amount of 'leeway' in interpretation, do i believe their really full, of course not, but they are no more guilty of player number inflation etc than any other game out there, with the exception of Eve online, which afaik is the only game to actually display actual player numbers on their server. A lot of the things im hearing though seem to indicate that players arent creating all that many new toons, and that most are now busy grinding in just a few areas of the game, which would appear to be the reason why lower levelled areas are relatively empty, this is probably not an unexpected outcome given that a fair amount of the games PVE focus seems to be single player friendly.image

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I don't play GW2. Got through the beta, thought it was cool, but didn't want to actually start playing. The people I know who do play aren't rolling alts. They're also still playing. They're running around on their max level characters.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned forum activity here. There is a lot of it. There's no way to tie that in to actual numbers, but I've played games that died. I know what dying forums look like. The GW2 forums don't look like that.

This is a common problem with tiered or gated content. The lower tiers are full because a lot of people roll low level alts and never progress them. The top tiers are full because a lot of people get at least one max level character. Finally, yes, the population is dropping over time. A little or a lot, it's happening. At least I assume it is. I haven't seen any indication that the population is actually growing. The middle tier levels are empty because those are the odd man out tiers. There was a thread in these forums discussing this very topic. It's a common problem and by itself doesn't indicate anything in particular.

The problem with your assumption is that dead servers and lack of alts looks exactly the same to someone in those middle tiers. You're automatically assuming that everyone left the game when they could all be running around having fun in WvW.

The real important part here is what you want to do. Do you want to get to max level or not? If not, quit whining and get out of the game. Move on with your life. Answer is the same if you want to get to max level. Quit whining. It doesn't take that long and you'll know soon enough if the server is actually dead or not.

Not to be contentious, but wasn't the game designed to make everything challenging and fun at max level? Your power is adjusted down and you recieve rewards of your actual level when you go into a lower leveled zone; I would think there would still be level 80 players running around the lower level content for fun.

So just because alts aren't being created doesn't mean that Tank wouldn't be seeing unpopulated zones. There's either a problem with the population, or there's a problem with the game design based on Anets design philosophy. My money is on design problems over any population issues, though.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by rygard49
    Not to be contentious, but wasn't the game designed to make everything challenging and fun at max level? Your power is adjusted down and you recieve rewards of your actual level when you go into a lower leveled zone; I would think there would still be level 80 players running around the lower level content for fun.So just because alts aren't being created doesn't mean that Tank wouldn't be seeing unpopulated zones. There's either a problem with the population, or there's a problem with the game design based on Anets design philosophy. My money is on design problems over any population issues, though.

You'd have to ask more people who play the game. Nobody I know is creating alts or revisiting lower levels. They are sticking to the WvW and if the raids pick up, they'll be sticking to those.

That's another common problem with the tiered content system. Just because lower level content can be challenging doesn't mean people will visit that content. Not if there's max level content that they are participating in.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Those screenshots of the world selection screen are showing more "High" and "Full" populated servers than in the 1st 2 weeks of Sept. Are you guys saying there are more people currently logging into the servers today than there were in weeks one and two?
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Those screenshots of the world selection screen are showing more "High" and "Full" populated servers than in the 1st 2 weeks of Sept. Are you guys saying there are more people currently logging into the servers today than there were in weeks one and two?

I already checked, my server was high in the first week and it's high right now, to make a comparison...

First week WvW has queues in all four battlegrounds.

Spvp had 60+ 16/16 matches going on, not sure, but it could have been as high as 120 at some points.

Mists had uncountable numbers of people in it.

Lions Arch had an overflow at all times of the day.

That's high.

Now today...

We have outmanned buff in all four WvW battlegrounds

Spvp has 11 matches going on right now, 10 of them 16/16 one is 7/16

Mists has 3 people in it.

Lions arch has no overflow.

That is also high.

Edit: TERA is huge as well, a month after launch my server was Medium population, now 5 months later it's HIGH at all times of the day, crazy eh? Oh wait, it's really not High, i'm just not a blind fanboy anymore and can see the company is playing games with us.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    there's no way it represents concurrent connections.  It's more a measure of the number of characters logged in within a certain time period, probably a week.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I already checked, my server was high in the first week and it's high right now, to make a comparison...

First week WvW has queues in all four battlegrounds.

Spvp had 60+ 16/16 matches going on, not sure, but it could have been as high as 120 at some points.

Mists had uncountable numbers of people in it.

Lions Arch had an overflow at all times of the day.

That's high.

Now today...

We have outmanned buff in all four WvW battlegrounds

Spvp has 11 matches going on right now, 10 of them 16/16 one is 7/16

Mists has 3 people in it.

Lions arch has no overflow.

That is also high.

Edit: TERA is huge as well, a month after launch my server was Medium population, now 5 months later it's HIGH at all times of the day, crazy eh? Oh wait, it's really not High, i'm just not a blind fanboy anymore and can see the company is playing games with us.

If we go by those screens, then we have to say that there are more people logged into GW2 right now, than in any of the days immideately following the launch.

Unless, there are reasons to adjust for populations. The only thing that can be determined from those screens is relative popluations. What one server's population is compared to another and even then in a very rounded sense. But with free server transfers, ANET has a good reason to keep these adjusted. To maintain population balance between servers so that players aren't all jumping onto the "winning" server  all the time and thus creating an unbreakable cycle. So it only makes sense that the lowest populated server is what determines when the highest populated server becomes "Full". Otherwise W v W v W would get really out of whack.

Otherwise, Yeah, more people are online right this very second than there was on 8/28.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

So I was in overflow in Lion's Arch last night. Even Orr went into overflow. On a high server. Not full, just high.

Yeah.

Also, why is everyone talking in map chat in overflow either german or french? :D

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Isn't this the same excuses made by AOC players, Warhammer Players, TOR players etc etc... but in this case its true? 

All those games had population drops that were very visible. The servers went empty.

In GW2 the servers are not just stable, they are filling up, fast.

Now I hear Baghdad Bob speaking. Tried to play this game again few days ago after a pause. Mid level zones in my EU server were completely empty with maybe a few others if any.