Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What "Server Full" means

Comments

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by botrytis If you log into a full server, you automatically get kicked to Overflow. So there is no wait in PvE.

So the server is not full then, thanks.

The overflow server is a different server. If the server wasn't full, you wouldn't be moved to a different server...the overflow server.

So when I play a game like Perfect World and I'm in channel 6 on the Dreamwaever server am I on dreamweaver or an separate server? No I'm on another instance of the world on that server. Arenanet is doing the same thing and calling it something different thats all, the server is not full.

Not true, overflow is not a different instance on the server, it is in fact another server that other players are transferred too, if their server is full. You can see that in chat aswell as in wvw info (when you press b). WvW status is borked until you move back to your original server.
  • otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Not to mention that different players from different servers are on the same overflow server.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Epic1oots
    omg omg my server Sorrow's Embrace is FULL. nice! finally i can play and have the social community like it did at launch!!! Logs in.... uh... where is everyone?? *crickets chirping*

Level up, stop being a dork and get into WvW like everyone else.

** edit **

Actually, that was a mean thing to say. I'm sorry. This whole thread is stupid and it's irritating.

"What does 'Server Full' mean?" It means you'll go to an overflow server when you log in.

"What is an 'Overflow Server'?" Not the server you logged into.

"But what if they're counting registered players?" They aren't because that would be dumb. It would take a day or less to determine if they were doing that. They aren't. It's either determined by the number of players logged into the server, or it's some arbitrary value assigned by Anet, or a combination of both. You will never figure out which it is.

"But what if they are playing monkeyshines with the statuses?" Unpossible to determine. You're wasting time even trying to answer that question, because you will never get an answer.

That's as much information as anyone can get out of this thread. You can't take server statuses and get population counts and you can't use them to determine a game's success or failure.

If you want to prove that GW2 is failing, look someplace else. Same answer if you want to prove that GW2 is successful. Anet's last earnings statement didn't show them getting ready to fold, and it didn't show them making more money than they expected. That's as close as you're going to get to determining if GW2 is a failure or a success.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

Okay, so this is settled. When server is full it means many people are online at that moment on that server. This image was taken one minuta ago:

At this very moment 21 servers are full, around 30 high and 5 servers on medium. There is no low populated server.

This is correct.

The rest is just crying from people who called it wrong.

GW2 is doing very, very well.

Sorry kids.

The irony in this post is just of the scale especially with the photo in the sig. The whole point of this thread is that Arenanet is doing exactly what other companies have done, fudged the numbers to make the game look like its doing well but there are many reports and other indicators that its going the same way as Rift, SW:TOR, and even MOP now this is not a bad thing in itself the bad thing is comapnies fudging the numbers. 

Except they aren't.

Face it, a lot of people play GW2.

More servers keep going to full and my server which was MEDIUM a few weeks ago, and I'd only meet one other person levelling every few minutes, has now gone HIGH and now it's zergs of people everywhere, groups of 20+ every few minutes, and Lion's Arch is just totally zerged with ridiculous numbers of new people.

Just face the reality, lots of people are playing, and the servers are filling up to the point where we will need new ones soon for the increasing population.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

So basically, a server population status is related to the total number of characters residing on the server, and NOT the total number of players concurently logged on.

No wonder server population statuses always read the same things.  They'll only go down if people start deleting alts.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22
    So basically, a server population status is related to the total number of characters residing on the server, and NOT the total number of players concurently logged on.No wonder server population statuses always read the same things.  They'll only go down if people start deleting alts.

Ugh.

The server status is the number of concurrent players OR it's some arbitrary setting made up by Anet. It is not the number of registered users.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

Okay, so this is settled. When server is full it means many people are online at that moment on that server. This image was taken one minuta ago:

At this very moment 21 servers are full, around 30 high and 5 servers on medium. There is no low populated server.

This is correct.

The rest is just crying from people who called it wrong.

GW2 is doing very, very well.

Sorry kids.

The irony in this post is just of the scale especially with the photo in the sig. The whole point of this thread is that Arenanet is doing exactly what other companies have done, fudged the numbers to make the game look like its doing well but there are many reports and other indicators that its going the same way as Rift, SW:TOR, and even MOP now this is not a bad thing in itself the bad thing is comapnies fudging the numbers. 

Except they aren't.

Face it, a lot of people play GW2.

More servers keep going to full and my server which was MEDIUM a few weeks ago, and I'd only meet one other person levelling every few minutes, has now gone HIGH and now it's zergs of people everywhere, groups of 20+ every few minutes, and Lion's Arch is just totally zerged with ridiculous numbers of new people.

Just face the reality, lots of people are playing, and the servers are filling up to the point where we will need new ones soon for the increasing population.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

So all the reports of empty areas, no queue's for WvWvW, no overflow servers needed, the friends free trial after 3 months, Xfire numbers down 80% since launch, website hits down as much, the adding of endgame progression because thats the #1 reason players are stopping playing is evidence of the "game filing up with players" and you accuse others of being in denial. Give me some evidence of servers filling up and not a screen shot of the server status and I might start thinking you are not talking out of your backside.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

So all the reports of empty areas, no queue's for WvWvW, no overflow servers needed, the friends free trial after 3 months, Xfire numbers down 80% since launch, website hits down as much, the adding of endgame progression because thats the #1 reason players are stopping playing is evidence of the "game filing up with players" and you accuse others of being in denial. Give me some evidence of servers filling up and not a screen shot of the server status and I might start thinking you are not talking out of your backside.

Here is an interesting thought. GW2 players keep getting accused of "being in denial" or attacking everybody that might say something bad about our game. Yet here, once again, we have someone that DOESN'T play, telling us all how it is. 

I tell you this. I value your opinion. There is a distinct level of value to all the posts you make. I will hold the exact same value to all of your posts in the future.  Thanks for sharing.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled

Here is an interesting thought. GW2 players keep getting accused of "being in denial" or attacking everybody that might say something bad about our game. Yet here, once again, we have someone that DOESN'T play, telling us all how it is. 

I tell you this. I value your opinion. There is a distinct level of value to all the posts you make. I will hold the exact same value to all of your posts in the future.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm not accusing GW2 players of anything I'm accusing Greyhoof of being a hypocrite until he produces evidence to the contrary. 

The reports are anecdotal evidence, and all of them are countered by the anecdotal evidence of people seeing lots of people in areas, having queues for WvWvW sometimes sitting in overflow servers. Anecdotal evidence is pretty worthless.

The four day free trials are what happens when you want more players to join the game. I don't think anyone thinks that there are as many people playing now as there were at launch.

The site that shall not be named is worthless in determining actual numbers...it doesn't matter if it's down by 80% or 20%. It's just stating the obvious, that there aren't as many players now as there were when the game released. You cannot quantify the relationship between the stats and the players.

Website hits are the same thing...there are fewer players now than before. This doesn't tell you the game is failing because you can't quantify the relation between the website's traffic and the game's players.

Adding tiered gear progression is a response to the players...I'm not sure how giving the players what they said they wanted can be a bad thing.

If you're going to give credence to anecdotal evidence, the site who shall not be named, and numbers that can't be quantified in relation to the game's population, then giving credence to the server status page makes just as much sense.

I don't get it:

A) you're accusing the server list of being anecdotal evidence, then

B) citing a bunch of anecdotal evidence to suggest the servers aren't getting more full

It's just a fairly obvious fact that the servers are getting more full. Just look at the server list. When you log in and play, the game is teeming with people.

Just like I did with the SWTOR fanboys (and I was right about that game, and on TERA, and on TSW), I say: face the facts.

GW2 is doing, very, very well.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I'm not accusing GW2 players of anything I'm accusing Greyhoof of being a hypocrite until he produces evidence to the contrary. 

Just so you know no one provided visual evidence of empty areas.

Rest of those reports actually don't mean a thing about population drop, that you put up earlier like Xfire,friend trial, and etc, cause people spread out.

Like I could log on and go to one zone and it may have 2-10 people on and then I can come back later and it can have 20+ in it.

So IMO it's hard to prove both cases, like someone did a thread, one day about GW2 being Anti social, where as, I could easily prove otherwise but, IMO it achieves nothing lol, waste of my time at least.

I can say that in mid level zones it's really easy to tell if no one is in it because most waypoints would be contested. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

The reports are anecdotal evidence, and all of them are countered by the anecdotal evidence of people seeing lots of people in areas, having queues for WvWvW sometimes sitting in overflow servers. Anecdotal evidence is pretty worthless.

The four day free trials are what happens when you want more players to join the game. I don't think anyone thinks that there are as many people playing now as there were at launch.

The site that shall not be named is worthless in determining actual numbers...it doesn't matter if it's down by 80% or 20%. It's just stating the obvious, that there aren't as many players now as there were when the game released. You cannot quantify the relationship between the stats and the players.

Website hits are the same thing...there are fewer players now than before. This doesn't tell you the game is failing because you can't quantify the relation between the website's traffic and the game's players.

Adding tiered gear progression is a response to the players...I'm not sure how giving the players what they said they wanted can be a bad thing.

If you're going to give credence to anecdotal evidence, the site who shall not be named, and numbers that can't be quantified in relation to the game's population, then giving credence to the server status page makes just as much sense.

Lizard I know exactly what you are saying and its all true, my point is that Greyhoof did exactly what I did on the SW:TOR forums its only me calling him out with his own hypocricy, I mean no disrespect to anyone else really. My original point is about the irony of Greyhooff's stance to GW2 as opposed to SW:TOR or Tera and his reply that the "servers are filing up" he has about as much real evidence as I do to the contrary but I have history on my side image. If there is one thing I dislike and thats hypocricy.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I knew there was a catch somewhere.My char is level 43 and everywhere I've been since about level 30 has been a ghost town..on a 'full server'

Lizard I know exactly what you are saying and its all true, my point is that Greyhoof did exactly what I did on the SW:TOR forums its only me calling him out with his own hypocricy, I mean no disrespect to anyone else really. My original point is about the irony of Greyhooff's stance to GW2 as opposed to SW:TOR or Tera and his reply that the "servers are filing up" he has about as much real evidence as I do to the contrary but I have history on my side image. If there is one thing I dislike and thats hypocricy.

Simply put, you're wrong. 

I just use evidence and common sense. 

In the case of SWTOR, the evidence and common sense showed a clear disaster in the making, and a company desperately covering it all up. Tera was a fun game but its grindy nature and muted release indicated it just wouldn't take off, having frogster handle it in europe made it all the more so. TSW had some great ideas, but the usual funcom problems and the poor metagame were always going to handicap it.

Don't forget, I actually play all these games while checking the evidence for and against them.

The evidence in the case of GW2 is that it is very successful; part of the reason for this is that it is a very solid game in its entirety.

SWTOR, Tera and TSW were not. I could have made a call on Rift, but I found it too boring personally to make a proper assessment.

I have been correct on every call I have made so far. Where is your track record? Oh you were defending SWTOR. I guess that explains your animosity towards my posts. Well, tough. 

Here is the evidence:

The server lists shows current amount of accounts playing on that server. This was stated explicitly, and very clearly.

The list is growing more and more full. You can check this right now. Right now.

I see more and more people playing, and so do my friends on another server who I cannot even join any more because my old server got full and I can't transfer back there.

GW2 is doing great. Sorry, it's just true.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    maybe those that claim the game is teeming with people are counting everyone's alts,  like the server status is.
    Originally posted by muffins89
    maybe those that claim the game is teeming with people are counting everyone's alts,  like the server status is.

It isn't.

It counts player accounts, not characters.

It doesn't matter if you "agree" with me - ArenaNet have clearly stated that it counts the number of accounts currently playing on that server, and well, you can see above the server list and how it looks.

Yeah, that's a lot of full servers. More than last week, I can tell you.

It's really very simple.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by tank017
    I knew there was a catch somewhere.My char is level 43 and everywhere I've been since about level 30 has been a ghost town..on a 'full server'

There's more than one possibility here. One, the server your on isn't actually full. Two, there aren't that many people in the level range you're in - they've maxed out their characters and are not rolling alts.

It doesn't matter if you "agree" with me - ArenaNet have clearly stated that it counts the number of accounts currently playing on that server, and well, you can see above the server list and how it looks.

It's really very simple.

[mod edit]

The number of "accounts" playing on a server so its the account now not just a player.. So if the account is counted couldn't the alts on the account be counted as well.. Interesting I must retire and think about this new development. 

It's really very simple.

[mod edit]

The number of "accounts" playing on a server so its the account now not just a player.. So if the account is counted couldn't the alts on the account be counted as well.. Interesting I must retire and think about this new development. 

It has always been account. Each 1 player = 1 account. You can have different alts, it's still 1 account and 1 player. This has been explicitly stated.

I don't get what's so hard to understand.

Servers are full. Each unit contributing to the full server is 1 account assumed to be 1 player. It means there's a lot of actual players. It is that simple.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

You smelly?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

There's more than one possibility here. One, the server your on isn't actually full. Two, there aren't that many people in the level range you're in - they've maxed out their characters and are not rolling alts.

Isn't this the same excuses made by AOC players, Warhammer Players, TOR players etc etc... but in this case its true? 

Isn't this the same excuses made by AOC players, Warhammer Players, TOR players etc etc... but in this case its true? 

All those games had population drops that were very visible. The servers went empty.

In GW2 the servers are not just stable, they are filling up, fast.

Just today I now see another server has gone full that I had a friend on. Guess I'm only going to be able to do Spvp with him now.

Use common sense and actual evidence. There's an actual server list and testimonies from actual players at 80.

I'm on a high (not full) server and right now Orr is a total zerg (seriously, so many players it looks like a cattle drive of AOE spam), and I have a queue to go to WvW.