Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What "Server Full" means

livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71

CC Eva

Community Coordinator

Hello everyone. Connor, when you see a server FULL means that it is full from people actually playing there at the moment, independently of where did they create their accounts. For example, if a player creates an account in Vizunah Square and then moves to Baruch Bay, then all the characters of this player will go to Baruch Bay and he will be counted among the total amount of players of Baruch.

Source:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

Comments

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    You are playing a very dangerous game my friend and its called common sense. you might want to run NOW!~!!! O_O

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by sammyeli
    You are playing a very dangerous game my friend and its called common sense. you might want to run NOW!~!!! O_O

Not everyone knew that all your alts are counted in player population. I have 5 alts, i can only imagine how many others have   that many and more. That is why a lot of people wonder where all the players are even though server is FULL.

Not that common sense bro.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Dear Player:

When you see "Server Full" message, it does not mean the server is actually full. Not having a number means that the numbers its set for can easily be influenced to whatever the create wants to make claims that is the population. Never should you use Server Population numbers to judge how well a game is doing as its a number easily able to be manipulated in order to make the game look as if its doing better then it really is. No, not just this game, every game that exists out there. Stop using those types of indicators as proof that population is or is not doing good in a game. 

Thank you.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Dear Player:

When you see "Server Full" message, it does not mean the server is actually full. Not having a number means that the numbers its set for can easily be influenced to whatever the create wants to make claims that is the population. Never should you use Server Population numbers to judge how well a game is doing as its a number easily able to be manipulated in order to make the game look as if its doing better then it really is. No, not just this game, every game that exists out there. Stop using those types of indicators as proof that population is or is not doing good in a game. 

Thank you.

See he knows what I am talking about.!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Okay, so this is settled. When server is full it means many people are online at that moment on that server. This image was taken one minuta ago:

At this very moment 21 servers are full, around 30 high and 5 servers on medium. There is no low populated server.

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Not everyone knew that all your alts are counted in player population. I have 5 alts, i can only imagine how many others have   that many and more. That is why a lot of people wonder where all the players are even though server is FULL.

Oh sir how dare I offend someone, please throw me in a pit!

Carl Sagan-

I am not  offended. I just disagree that this was common knowledge.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

Okay, so this is settled. When server is full it means many people are online at that moment on that server. This image was taken one minuta ago:

At this very moment 21 servers are full, around 30 high and 5 servers on medium. There is no low populated server.

or could simply mean that Arenanet doesnt want any more people xfering to those servers.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

So essentially, Full = players/5

Nice.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by grimal

So essentially, Full = players/5

Nice.

Thats what I read it as, it doesn't say anything about concuurent players. So my question is..

Can you transfer to a server thats says its full?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

It was manipulated in SWTOR and TERA and the rabid defenders of GW2 always use it thinking it isn't being manipulated in GW2.

Heck, right now TERAs servers are listed as "high" meaning they may experience "regular queues". LOL.

So why was my server full back when there were 2 hour queues and 130 matches going on in Spvp over a month ago and it's still full now with no queue in WvW and 30 matches going on?

GW2 must have a lot of people AFK right? No, it's just being manipulated.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by muffins89

or could simply mean that Arenanet doesnt want any more people xfering to those servers.

No.  Once again it means actual players playing on those servers.  As was mentioned above what low, medium, high, and full actually mean are subjective to the game and application settings.

Actual players as well as their alts.

I didn't knwo this was common practice in mmos to post a server status and then say well these servers are full because there are 1 million registered here. damn common sense tell me whats right and whats wrong.

Carl Sagan-

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    That explanation is worded poorly because it can be interepreted in 2 ways at the same time, and both interpretations contradict each other.  To me the first line when he says "Full means it is full from people actually playing there at the moment" implies concurrency.  However, the following sentence contradicts that implication because it is talking about alts and all characters of the account being counted among the total players on the server.  I don't know if this contradictory wording was intentional or not, but it cleared things up about as well as mud.

I didn't knwo this was common practice in mmos to post a server status and then say well these servers are full because there are 1 million registered here. damn common sense tell me whats right and whats wrong.

So your common sense told you that all characters on your account are counted towards total population on server? because i surely didn't know that.

Originally posted by muffins89

No.  Once again it means actual players playing on those servers.  As was mentioned above what low, medium, high, and full actually mean are subjective to the game and application settings.

Actual players as well as their alts.

You guys must have misunderstood. Community manager Eva only explained what does transfering account to another server means - it means all your characters will be transfered to new server.

Quote:

"or example, if a player creates an account in Vizunah Square and then moves to Baruch Bay, then all the characters of this player will go to Baruch Bay and he will be counted among the total amount of players of Baruch.#

It's singular. You can't play several alts at the same time. All characters are counted as one account.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I wonder if this CC Eva is a native english speaker.

So your common sense told you that all characters on your account are counted towards total population on server? because i surely didn't know that.

YOu can keep reading what eva says how ever you want to but I do not really care how you take it in, I am just here for the lol and enjoying the conversation.

Carl Sagan-

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Quote:

"or example, if a player creates an account in Vizunah Square and then moves to Baruch Bay, then all the characters of this player will go to Baruch Bay and he will be counted among the total amount of players of Baruch.#

It's singular. You can't play several alts at the same time. All characters are counted as one account.

Well granted I can tell your an 'avid supporter' of the game and your probably going to quickly dismissed it, reading what it says there the whole 'full server' deal for transfers according to the quotes sounds like the alts all count individually based off his wording rather then as a single account, meaning 5 alts means +5 characters counted as far as server population goes.

Sorry, just going off what the quote sounds like. Might be true or not but wording wise its making it sound like alts count individually towards the total.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    That explanation is worded poorly because it can be interepreted in 2 ways at the same time, and both interpretations contradict each other.  To me the first line when he says "Full means it is full from people actually playing there at the moment" implies concurrency.  However, the following sentence contradicts that implication because it is talking about alts and all characters of the account being counted among the total players on the server.  I don't know if this contradictory wording was intentional or not, but it cleared things up about as well as mud.

It could be worded better, but never in a way that can't be spun by someone with an agenda.  That's always true here.

The keyword in the statement is the line saying "he will be counted" which is also singular.  The reference to alts is that all the characters on an account count towards one server only, not many.  You can only play one alt at a time and thus only be counted once.  When you log onto any characters in that example they will all count toward Baruch, not where they were originally created.

edit: Zeus explained and highlighted it above.

I don't really see how a simple "Logged in characters count towards the server population that they are logged on."  Specify characters and not accounts simplifies everything since you can only have characters on the same server anyway. (Given more than a few minutes I could have worred it better than repeatedly using the wored "logged" but it is still much clearer than what was written and in fewer words).

Quote:

Well granted I can tell your an 'avid supporter' of the game and your probably going to quickly dismissed it, reading what it says there the whole 'full server' deal for transfers according to the quotes sounds like the alts all count individually based off his wording rather then as a single account, meaning 5 alts means +5 characters counted as far as server population goes.

Sorry, just going off what the quote sounds like. Might be true or not but wording wise its making it sound like alts count individually towards the total.

Me being a GW2 player is irrelevant. It just isn't logical to count 5 alts of one account as 5 accounts, since you can play only one at the time. If Eva said THEY will be counted then it would mean all characters are counted as accounts which would be appsurd.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Me being a GW2 player is irrelevant. It just isn't logical to count 5 alts of one account as 5 accounts, since you can play only one at the time. If Eva said THEY will be counted then it would mean all characters are counted as accounts which would be appsurd.

That's what it's saying and I believe it, TERA did the same thing, servers a month after release went from medium to high although playerbase clearly was dropping when asked why they said all alts counted towards the population.

And it is logical, Anet is doing it to make people think the game is still growing instead of shrinking,  just like the devs over at EME did with TERA.

Quote:

The quote is really vague.. I read it 5 times now and it sounds as if she is saying that all characters are counted towards total population.

Very poorly worded explanation just adding more confusion.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

That's what it's saying and I believe it, TERA did the same thing, servers a month after release went from medium to high although playerbase clearly was dropping when asked why they said all alts counted towards the population.

And it is logical, Anet is doing it to make people think the game is still growing instead of shrinking, as the devs over at EME did with TERA.

Interesting. So if a player that has 10 alts logs into the game It would be like 10 players logged in even though there is only one online?

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Even if it means what the OP thinks it does, I don't see the difference.  There isn't a set number for FULL.  If 50 connected players or 50 + alts equals fulls its the same thing.