Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the problem really that MMORPGs aren't hard anymore?

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    EQNext

Are you getting SOE referral credits or something?

/chuckling

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Now it is all very fun. I did uber bosses at MP6 .. and that was a hard fight with many death .. and feel good when we finally kill teh bosses. In fact, i can't even solo the uber unless the MP is very low.

That option has always been available, in every MMO.

Always some guy making a "Soloing Sartherion" video, or somesuch.

I don't know, unless it's something that blocks your progress for time, it doesn't count?

Not really. Usually there are too few difficulty levels to properly adjust.

It is not about whether there are difficult adjustment, but whether there are enough to make the game fun. Take wow for example. You have 3 levels of raid (lfr, normal and hard) but there aren't any choices for heroic dungeons, nor leveling.

Now you can artificially do more by using your own rules (like the ironman challenge, or "soloing Sartherion" as you said) but those are not convenient, and out of reach for many.

It is not about whether there are difficult adjustment, but whether there are enough to make the game fun. Take wow for example. You have 3 levels of raid (lfr, normal and hard) but there aren't any choices for heroic dungeons, nor leveling.

Now you can artificially do more by using your own rules (like the ironman challenge, or "soloing Sartherion" as you said) but those are not convenient, and out of reach for many.

"Hunt Up" is how we used to do it, back in the pre-mmo dark ages.  +4 +5 +10 levels, whatever a particular game takes.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by ozmono

I wonder if people look at MMOs at a time when they enjoyed them better and start attributing the inevitable decline of interest with them on things like difficulty. Or in other words are people just wearing nostalgia glasses or is game difficulty really so much worse nowdays and as detrimental to current MMOs as some would have you believe?

We do not want harder mmos, dont you understand ? back then people complained when mmos were to hardcore and didnt appeal to the mass, now some of you complain they are to easy- but thats what the mass really wanted back then.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Now it is all very fun. I did uber bosses at MP6 .. and that was a hard fight with many death .. and feel good when we finally kill teh bosses. In fact, i can't even solo the uber unless the MP is very low.

That option has always been available, in every MMO.

Always some guy making a "Soloing Sartherion" video, or somesuch.

I don't know, unless it's something that blocks your progress for time, it doesn't count?

Not really. Usually there are too few difficulty levels to properly adjust.

For my wife and I Wow was our favotire game for leveling. Its sad what they did to that game and I really have no idea why. Nerfs to mobs, phasing, speed leveling, account gear, sigh, you made me cry. :(

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

EQNext

Are you getting SOE referral credits or something?

/chuckling

Nope i'm telling the truth about Vanguard and as for EQNext, well you must of read the latest news.All i'm saying is some people i this thread are complaining about certain feature being lost in present day MMOs yet many if not most of these features are still in some games today.

Don't moan about these new MMOs when it's there choice to play them. If they really wanted these features then they would be playing games like Vanguard and Ryzom.

Talk is cheap.

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

For my wife and I Wow was our favotire game for leveling. Its sad what they did to that game and I really have no idea why. Nerfs to mobs, phasing, speed leveling, account gear, sigh, you made me cry. :(

Your leveling efficiency is entirely under your control.

You can make leveling as challenging as you wish to.  Particularly easy in WoW, given the gear-based design.

If course, maximum leveling speed and maximum difficulty are in fact conflicting goals.  You can't have both.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Originally posted by Xiaoki MMOs were never hard. Yes, people are looking at the "good old days" with nostalgia. Needless time sinks and badly programmed combat systems do not equate to difficulty.
    I would disagree. Today's MMOs only have maybe 10% of the content and features of old MMOs. They only focus on combat and graphics. Not to meantion it is all instanced. All MMOs are grinds and today's MMOs are more mindless grinding than old school MMOs. Because they don't have any content. MMOs are suppose to be like playing PnP RPGs not single player action adventures that are not MMOs.

Nostalgia driven hyperbole.

10% of the content
    Entirely instanced
    Mindless grinding
    No content at all

Is this really the only defense the "old school vets" have?

Your leveling efficiency is entirely under your control.

You can make leveling as challenging as you wish to.  Particularly easy in WoW, given the gear-based design.

If course, maximum leveling speed and maximum difficulty are in fact conflicting goals.  You can't have both.

Right....I do a quest I level.....I do two quest... I level...I do three quest.. I level... My wife needs help on a quest, oh wait she is in a phase that I'm not no help for you. I join a BG and the horde has more account gear to bad for us. I join a BG and we have more account gear to bad for them. Lets go take on that elite mob with my wife...oh wait its gone... Lets do a dungeon run.. oh wait they have turned in to aoe runs at the speed of light. total control yep. 

Right....I do a quest I level.....I do two quest... I level...I do three quest.. I level... My wife needs help on a quest, oh wait she is in a phase that I'm not no help for you. I join a BG and the horde has more account gear to bad for us. I join a BG and we have more account gear to bad for them. Lets go take on that elite mob with my wife...oh wait its gone... Lets do a dungeon run.. oh wait they have turned in to aoe runs at the speed of light. total control yep. 

Now do it in white gear.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

I wouldn't say that it's because MMOs are too easy; rather they just don't seem to know how to pace the difficulty.

Seriously, everything before the end is a flat plane, and then the end pops up and it eithers ends up being a giant wall of hurt, or a valley or incredible boredom.

And by the time the so called "end game" is reached it's too little too late.

So much effort is put into creating content and maps for levels 1-59.  Yet only a few dungeons in one area at level 60 are difficult.  I usually end up quitting long before reaching that point.

Combine that with the fact that there is very little originality anymore and I find cannot find any reason to play anymore.

Easy leveling *is* a problem. MMOs should have difficulty sliders like ARPGs. Let people level faster if they want to fight harder mobs.

Vanguard has this you can also stop xp dead if you want. Seems to me alot of the things people are complaining that mmo no longer do or have, Vanguard still has those things from pre WOW days.

The problem with Vanguard for me is the population. The free to play / store don't help ethier. 

This population thing is an old excuse that has warn itself out now. Since the F2P system Vanguards population has risen ten fold. Telon server is really an international server and has many people across all levels playing the game. Plus we are talking about features and certain game elements that people claim to miss but Vanguard has them. Seems to me that these people claimg they miss certain features but play these new mmo like GW2 have only themselves to blame.

Yeah Vanguard is more or less the only decent AAA MMO to release in the last 8 years. I play it, but my issue with it is SoE took out several of the more interesting features and made it more like WoW. That, and there's no PvP. Still has the best FTP system I've ever seen though.

Now do it in white gear.

haha I can do it naked hand to hand and kick butt. Really what are you trying to prove here? The game is nerfed to hell its as simple as that. The challenge left that game ages ago except for raids and heroic dungeons. It all started with WOTLK and went down hill from there. 

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I think the problem is they are all non-immersive, unoriginal throw away games.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by furidiam

There are no more real mmo's now. All this new stuff is catering to the short attention span customers. Look at the success of games that are out on the smart phone/face book. These new games are chasing WOW and these social games looking at the profits.

Games used to be made by gamers for gamers. Now it is corporations going after gamers wallets. This is what made games now a days what they are.

There are a couple of mmo since WOW that are not hand holding and the old one are still here, if you choose to play these new types of MMO then you only have yourself to blame.

Uh, there's been ONE AAA MMO since WoW came out that was challenging/not a WoW clone.

And no, those old games aren't there anymore, or we'd be playing them.

Really, so EQ isn't here no more and Ryzom and EVE,DAOC and what is a wow clone?

There has never been a WOW clone, do you know the meaning of the word clone?

Ah, you mean a MMO that has quests and level progression, if that's the case then you need to stop playing MMO because they all have some sort of progression. Whether it's levelling skills or levelling to, gain skills or questing or levelling crafting they all have it.

Time for you to stop playing MMOs.

And what AAA MMO do you think is a challenging.

There was never a WoW clone? hahaha. Oh boy. What do you think Rift, LotRO, AoC, SWTOR, and WAR's PvE are? They even have the same UI. Get some perspective. Progression isn't the issue here.

And no, EQ, DAoC, and all the pre WoW MMOs are no longer there in the form that we remember. Hence why people stopped playing.

And the only decent AAA MMORPG of the last 8 years was Vanguard. Maybe GW2 now, but that has its own gaping flaws.

haha I can do it naked hand to hand and kick butt. Really what are you trying to prove here? The game is nerfed to hell its as simple as that. The challenge left that game ages ago except for raids and heroic dungeons. It all started with WOTLK and went down hill from there. 

Now do it in white gear, to the cap.

I detect some insincerity creeping into the argument...

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
         I know that I enjoyed MMOs more when they were more challenging and not everything was handed to us.....I find that the harder MMOs were the ones I tended to play the longest while hte easier ones were always short term......I still look at WoW as the one that changed everything (and not in a good way).......The genre at that point went from games to entertainment, wroking for something to instant gratification, and sense of accomplishment to sense of entitlement.

Now do it in white gear, to the cap.

I detect some insincerity creeping into the argument...

haha I could tie my hands behind my back and see if I can use my nose only with no mouse. What next do you want me to roll a priest and fight hand to hand to level 80?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wows UI is ac 's UI.
  • EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    I liked it better when I was ignorant, young, and niave.  The whole world seemed harder, and at the same time attainable.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    I wouldn't say that it's because MMOs are too easy; rather they just don't seem to know how to pace the difficulty. Seriously, everything before the end is a flat plane, and then the end pops up and it eithers ends up being a giant wall of hurt, or a valley or incredible boredom.

And by the time the so called "end game" is reached it's too little too late.

So much effort is put into creating content and maps for levels 1-59.  Yet only a few dungeons in one area at level 60 are difficult.  I usually end up quitting long before reaching that point.

Combine that with the fact that there is very little originality anymore and I find cannot find any reason to play anymore.

Easy leveling *is* a problem. MMOs should have difficulty sliders like ARPGs. Let people level faster if they want to fight harder mobs.

Vanguard has this you can also stop xp dead if you want. Seems to me alot of the things people are complaining that mmo no longer do or have, Vanguard still has those things from pre WOW days.

The problem with Vanguard for me is the population. The free to play / store don't help ethier. 

This population thing is an old excuse that has warn itself out now. Since the F2P system Vanguards population has risen ten fold. Telon server is really an international server and has many people across all levels playing the game. Plus we are talking about features and certain game elements that people claim to miss but Vanguard has them. Seems to me that these people claimg they miss certain features but play these new mmo like GW2 have only themselves to blame.

Yeah Vanguard is more or less the only decent AAA MMO to release in the last 8 years. I play it, but my issue with it is SoE took out several of the more interesting features and made it more like WoW. That, and there's no PvP. Still has the best FTP system I've ever seen though.

What system to make it more like WOW, i've played since beta.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The problem is they aren't mmorpgs any more

They are either orpgs - swtor, tsw, wow once you've leveled

Or they are mmogs - planetside 2

haha I could tie my hands behind my back and see if I can use my nose only with no mouse. What next do you want me to roll a priest and fight hand to hand to level 80?

Yes, I would.  A priest arriving at the cap with (on the order of) 1/10th the normal priest mana pool and fighting with a white mace?  Tissue paper armor...oh yes, I'd love to see this.

Don't worry, we'll never ask you to PVP.  Just survive normal quest mobs.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    No what changed is that i grew up and i don't find anything hard anymore;) 

No what changed is that I grew older and everything keeps getting harder.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I think once your "geared" is a better way to put it actually. Once you've leveled in traditional MMORPG's you still need to go grind things to get your gear.  it isnt until your geared that it becomes repetative in play. Honestly i love the original runs when your low gear to bring that challenge into the game. The reason i play TSW and love it so much is because we haven't even scratched the surface of the game yet. so that first time experiance is gonna be happening quite often. even after i get max gear.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by furidiam

There are no more real mmo's now. All this new stuff is catering to the short attention span customers. Look at the success of games that are out on the smart phone/face book. These new games are chasing WOW and these social games looking at the profits.

Games used to be made by gamers for gamers. Now it is corporations going after gamers wallets. This is what made games now a days what they are.

There are a couple of mmo since WOW that are not hand holding and the old one are still here, if you choose to play these new types of MMO then you only have yourself to blame.

Uh, there's been ONE AAA MMO since WoW came out that was challenging/not a WoW clone.

And no, those old games aren't there anymore, or we'd be playing them.

Really, so EQ isn't here no more and Ryzom and EVE,DAOC and what is a wow clone?

There has never been a WOW clone, do you know the meaning of the word clone?

Ah, you mean a MMO that has quests and level progression, if that's the case then you need to stop playing MMO because they all have some sort of progression. Whether it's levelling skills or levelling to, gain skills or questing or levelling crafting they all have it.

Time for you to stop playing MMOs.

And what AAA MMO do you think is a challenging.

There was never a WoW clone? hahaha. Oh boy. What do you think Rift, LotRO, AoC, SWTOR, and WAR's PvE are? They even have the same UI. Get some perspective. Progression isn't the issue here.

And no, EQ, DAoC, and all the pre WoW MMOs are no longer there in the form that we remember. Hence why people stopped playing.

And the only decent AAA MMORPG of the last 8 years was Vanguard. Maybe GW2 now, but that has its own gaping flaws.

Again do you know what the word clone means? hahahaha

Let me help you.

a person or thing regarded as an exact copy of another:

computer designed to simulate exactly the operation of another, typically more expensive, model:

make an identical copy of:

So unless you can show me another MMO that has WOW lore, classes, world  and name their has never been a WOW clone.

Now clones is a word that is thrown around in the MMO world that should not be in the MMO world. 

And yes Vanguard is the only decent AAA since WOW,  i have 3 level 55s and numerous atls since beta.

There is no MMO that is a clone of WOW.