Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard sued over Authenticator!

ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

A class action law suit has been filed against Blizzard based on the sale of its authenticator to users;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20294807

Blizzard says the suit is frivilous and unfounded, here is their statement on IGN;

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/10/blizzard-sued-over-battlenet-authentication

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/11/08/52109.htm

Having only read these articles it would seem that the suit is unfounded given that the authenticator is an optional method of adding security to your account, but the other part is based on Blizzard 'forcing' users to use Battle.net to play their games which could have wider reaching implications for other companies like Steam or Origin for example.

What do you think?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Comments

• I'm thinking they thought it was worth a shot and hoped Blizzard would settle it out of court, but no dice.
  • KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

To be honest since they seem incapable of keeping the game secure - obviously they've been hacked numerous times in recent months - the authenticators should be included with subscription.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Silly lawsuit.  I'm going to sue my car company for charging me for auto-locks so that I don't forget to l lock the other 3 doors on my car.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

There are other games that use authentication process like this as well. Its some guy who got pissed off cause he bought gold and gave them his game info some how. He got hacked and now wants to blow it up into something its not. I played wow for numerous years and never once was hacked. Why? I just dont hand my info out to people. People expect to be able to use services from " Good " people expecting them to not hack them back. But come on folks, just cause some guy powerleveld you doesnt mean he is your buddy now.

Wow doesnt force people to buy there 2 dollar authenticator. Its an option . Plain as that.

Billy bob that is sueing will get jack and if anything he will be stuck with a bill from Blizzard. 

Time for more coffee! Thanks for the read.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Keylogger

To be honest since they seem incapable of keeping the game secure - obviously they've been hacked numerous times in recent months - the authenticators should be included with subscription.

By the same token should they be able to charge a customer extra where they have been hacked through their own fault for the time required to put it right?

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Shadoed
    Originally posted by Keylogger To be honest since they seem incapable of keeping the game secure - obviously they've been hacked numerous times in recent months - the authenticators should be included with subscription.
    By the same token should they be able to charge a customer extra where they have been hacked through their own fault for the time required to put it right?

Yes, actually.

But I'm not sure going to the effort of proving who was and wasn't hacked is cost effective itself so I doubt they'd do it one way or another.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Keylogger

Originally posted by Shadoed

Originally posted by Keylogger To be honest since they seem incapable of keeping the game secure - obviously they've been hacked numerous times in recent months - the authenticators should be included with subscription.

Yes, actually.

But I'm not sure going to the effort of proving who was and wasn't hacked is cost effective itself so I doubt they'd do it one way or another.

And therein lies the rub, how does either side prove the other is at fault?