Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New dungeon will give us stronger armour

Comments

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Methos12
    Originally posted by saurus123

stop panicking

if you didnt played Gw1 and dont know what infusion and insignias are

you should read

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Infusion

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Insignia

with the introduction to new enemy type "karka" and more info

Aside from being a new type of foe, the karka also bring in new mechanics and skills. Part of the event will involve players racing around Tyria to try to figure out how to damage these baddies. You see, as they mature, karka develop a nigh-impenetrable outer shell, which players will have to get through to start doing meaningful damage.

you already should figure it out

Good to see everyone skipped this and already got their panties in a twist.

I certainly did! image Get the twisted panties and all that I mean... it's really uncomfortable. lol

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by Valkaern
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

stop panicking

you should read

Aside from being a new type of foe, the karka also bring in new mechanics and skills. Part of the event will involve players racing around Tyria to try to figure out how to damage these baddies. You see, as they mature, karka develop a nigh-impenetrable outer shell, which players will have to get through to start doing meaningful damage.

Good post.  Thanks for linking the wiki entries.

Some people should understand how Guild Wars works before they get on their dancing shoes.  This isn't really different from GW1.  There is really nothing to see here.

Very true.

The problem here is pretty obviously a few people (apparently quite a few are not even players of GW2) clearly wanting this to be something more than it is.

You can post logic and facts that were posted elsewhere to paint a clearer picture of the actual situation, but they're clearly not interested, they want a sensational spectacle at all costs. Reality be damned, they want to be right about something. That's more important.

The "infusion slot" on some ascended gear may be used to damage the new mobs.  However, what about this part?

Speaking of rewards, the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon will introduce the new ‘Ascended' item type. This type is a bit more powerful than the Exotic quality items currently found in the game.

Doesn't that flat out state that the Ascended armor found in the new dungeon is better than exotic quality items?  Also, notice the fancy wording with currently found in the game.  That leads me to believe that they may be weaker than exotic quality items found in the game at a later point in time.  That last part is simply a speculative interpretation, BUT it is clearly stated that Ascended armor is better than exotics.

Yeah, it very well could be. We'll have to wait and see.

The wording so far is a bit vague. I got the impression the power gain was only against specific enemies (thereby having 0 effect on the PvP elements, or players not interested in that specific content), rather than an over all power increase.

I wouldn't personally put money on them altering the power scales so drastically that it'd have any more effect than the current difference between yellows & orange (which is pretty damn negligible).

I'm actually Ok with some casual friendly power creep, but content without it.

I'm personally not bothered either way, so I'm not too invested in it. My wife & I are enjoying the hell out of the game at the moment so they'd have to add full on WoW style gear progression raids to piss me off at this point.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

stop panicking

you should read

The main point is not how strong or not the improvements are, its the fact that its now going to REQUIRE grouping and dungeon crawling to get the best stuff thats the issue, if it is indeed like they are saying.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Kalafax

stop panicking

you should read

The main point is not how strong or not the improvements are, its the fact that its now going to REQUIRE grouping and dungeon crawling to get the best stuff thats the issue, if it is indeed like they are saying.

We have yet to see if it's the "best stuff" for that specific dungeon or if, in general, it just makes you more powerful across the board. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Serelisk

Originally posted by Kalafax

Originally posted by saurus123 stop panicking if you didnt played Gw1 and dont know what infusion and insignias are you should read http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Infusion http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Insignia   with the introduction to new enemy type "karka" and more info  

We have yet to see if it's the "best stuff" for that specific dungeon or if, in general, it just makes you more powerful across the board. 

A few posts back it was stated that they will be even without factoring in these "sockets".

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Some more info:

it seems crafting will get a boost too:

"It's also worth noting that with the update there will be a new resource to harvest, along with 200 new crafting recipes being added. Presumably these will be focused on the ascended quality level as well, so it will be interesting to see how expensive the new recipes will be to create given the current high production costs on exotic gear."

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/previews/lost-shores-preview

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by QSatu
    Some more info:it seems crafting will get a boost too:"It's also worth noting that with the update there will be a new resource to harvest, along with 200 new crafting recipes being added. Presumably these will be focused on the ascended quality level as well, so it will be interesting to see how expensive the new recipes will be to create given the current high production costs on exotic gear." http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/previews/lost-shores-preview

/thread imo

As long as they keep crafting current with dungeon loot, its all good.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Some more info:it seems crafting will get a boost too:"It's also worth noting that with the update there will be a new resource to harvest, along with 200 new crafting recipes being added. Presumably these will be focused on the ascended quality level as well, so it will be interesting to see how expensive the new recipes will be to create given the current high production costs on exotic gear." http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/previews/lost-shores-preview

Sounds like everything is gona work out well then.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    Yea thats why my earlier post said if they were going to do it they need to update crafting aswell, we are getting alot of info piece meal and dont have the full picture yet, so I'm staying with them till we find out all the information. I dont believe GW2 will go the way of every other game and turn it into dungeon crawling, I do have faith in them, so we shall see.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I guess that's "you play gw2 for fun" right out the window.

Same thing as every other themepark carrot on a stick MMO now.

Mind you, I like that.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Valkaern

Sounds like the power increase is just towards the new enemy, the Karka, or specific enemies (in line with infusion from GW1 as well), as the first part of the event is players searching Tyria for a way to hurt the new monsters.

''You see, as the Karka mature they develop a a nigh-impenetrable outer shell, which players will have to get through to start doing meaningful damage'.

Yeah, I dont see that harming WvW much or suddenly plopping us on a WoW like gear grind, but we can't expect anything but over reactions on this site )~

Not to rain on the parade of those with the obvious vendetta against the game, just sounds like there's a lot less going on than the over reactions here would have us believe.

Edit: And the new dungeon system sounds amazing, absolutely can't wait. All in all this update sounds fantastic for a free update.

This is from the MMORPG.com article.  This could be incorrect, but it sounds like gear gated content to me.  I don't consider that a bad thing personally, but it's definitely a divergence from what I understood Anet's originally stated design goals to be.

Guild Wars 2 Previews: A Peek into the November Update

Speaking of rewards, the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon will introduce the new ‘Ascended' item type. This type is a bit more powerful than the Exotic quality items currently found in the game. There will only be a couple of Ascended quality items available initially, but some of the rarer Ascended items will also feature a new Infusion slot that will make players even more powerful so that they can tackle new challenges that ArenaNet plans to throw at them as they continue to expand on the dungeon over the coming months and years.

Straight from the horse mouth. Gonna bookmark this.

Pathetic agendas aside, if you understood what infusion meant, and that it exists in GW1, you would realize how silly your posturing makes you sound.

I crusade for the truth! What am I missing? This stuff seems to increase stats on top of the tier increase in armor, even make it necesarry to do certain content.

"A character with non-infused armor who is suffering from Spectral Agony suffers heavy damage, health degeneration, and movement and action speed reduction. "

"that can boost health, increase armor ratingreduce damage, or provide some other profession-specific benefit."

sorry kupp looking for clarification.

Understanding.

Infusion is very similar to Lorto's Tokens. The more infused armor you have the less damage you take from specific creatures. No infused armor and you can't survive.

Mind that you dont become more powerful, the specific enemy deal less damage to you.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Damn it was going strong until someone threw logic in the thread O_O, now I have nothing to read at work.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I like how people are saying their exotics are useless when masterwork armor is more than sufficient for most areas...

"10 stats? My power 2010 instead of 2000?!?! my gear is useless".

Let's be honest: you'd whine about the lack of progression and then whine when "traditional" progression is added.

This doesn't just go for GW2, but no game will ever satisfy mmorpg's forums.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Originally posted by muffins89 yeah sounds like they caved.
    They have no choice but to cave in, the only way they are going to keep people playing is through end level item grinding. The problem is no matter what new dungeons they bring in they are always going to be just a zerg rez fest.

Now correct me if im wrong, But should not their primary goal be to get people to buy from the Gem Store? Not seeing how setting vertical progression of gear outside the store is gona help that goal.

Uh, I think making the game fun should be their primary goal?

Actually in a P2P subscription game that is the primary goal (or if not fun addictive) because then people continue to subscribe, B2P/F2P has to take some of the fun out of the game in order to sell it to you in dollar chunks.

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Originally posted by muffins89 yeah sounds like they caved.
    They have no choice but to cave in, the only way they are going to keep people playing is through end level item grinding. The problem is no matter what new dungeons they bring in they are always going to be just a zerg rez fest.

Now correct me if im wrong, But should not their primary goal be to get people to buy from the Gem Store? Not seeing how setting vertical progression of gear outside the store is gona help that goal.

Uh, I think making the game fun should be their primary goal?

Actually in a P2P subscription game that is the primary goal (or if not fun addictive) because then people continue to subscribe, B2P/F2P has to take some of the fun out of the game in order to sell it to you in dollar chunks.

Oh we have winner here, lets get the ball rolling again.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by sammyeli
    Damn it was going strong until someone threw logic in the thread O_O, now I have nothing to read at work.

So do you want people to use logic or not?  These statements of yours are contradictory.

It is logical that a game with a cash shop needs to remove some sort of item that has entertainment value so that they can sell it through the cash shop.  I say it has entertainment value because that's the point of games, providing entertainment.

Edit:  Since I guess I have to explain this.  It is implied that the thread was going well until logic was injected.  At that point, it stopped "going strong".  To "get the ball rolling again" using the context already setup in a previous post, it would imply that logic was no longer being used going forward.  However, the post that would "get the ball rolling again" was based upon the use of logic in determining that elements must be removed from a B2P/F2P due to the necessity of monetization.

So do you want people to use logic or not?  These statements of yours are contradictory.

It is logical that a game with a cash shop needs to remove some sort of item that has entertainment value so that they can sell it through the cash shop.  I say it has entertainment value because that's the point of games, providing entertainment.

I don't think you understand what that word means. "Contradictory" 

Atleast according to what I posted. but let the ball go full speed!!!!

Carl Sagan-

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I took the time to read all 13 pages, because at first I was going to say "Whelp GW2 is now trying to be WoW." So I kept reading, and now I see how Infusions are and etc lol.

Though that's what I see as it makes the most sense, so come friday, I think, we'll [know].

I hope someone exaggerates this on main forum, so a dev can come clarify this lmao.

Also anybody else save the first few pages?

Not gonna say "peace out." yet, still watching this topic.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/

There is a video there.

New info: Items to be used in ascended gear will be found in dungeons. preety big reason to do them besides the gear.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Some more info:

it seems crafting will get a boost too:

"It's also worth noting that with the update there will be a new resource to harvest, along with 200 new crafting recipes being added. Presumably these will be focused on the ascended quality level as well, so it will be interesting to see how expensive the new recipes will be to create given the current high production costs on exotic gear."

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/previews/lost-shores-preview

/thread imo

As long as they keep crafting current with dungeon loot, its all good.

oh somehow I missed this, well nvrm then lmao.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Sounds to me the improvement in the armour will be to help tackle the mobs deeper in the new dungeon, I'll be really surprised if the armour helps outside the dungeon/against the new mobs. Doubt it will be global.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I love the concept of the new dungeon. I don't like that they are introducing "end game gear inflation".

IMO, they could have introduced a new tier of armor that was easier to fine tune stat-wise, with out increasing the overall power level. Dungeon armor already offers some stat distributions not found elsewhere. Infusions could have allowed a high degree of stat customization and that would have been enough of a step up to make the new "grind" worth while.

As to the concept of skins vs. power as "grind reward", I think the problem that arose was that most dungeons have pretty horrible skins. It seems the art dept. just wasn't up to the task of producing a steady stream of desirable skins in order to provide the proper incentive for dungeon progression. I'd say at least half the armor in the game is pretty excellent, but a number of skins are pretty poor and a lot of those are tied to dungeons.

I'm guessing it's a lot easier to add gear inflation than to go out and find artists capable of producing armor skins of the quality needed to incentivize dungeon grinds...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I dont think the addition of a new tier of gear by itself is the issue. I just think that for some, this is the final straw in a list of letdowns.Lets be honest for a moment, the gw2 that we have in front of us is not quite like the one anet told us about. From an outsiders view, i dont think its a big deal especially since crafting will most likely stay up to date with the new tiers added. But some people seem disillusioned and i cant really blame them.

It started with dynamic events being redundant and farmable, then rng cash shop items, and now content patches that add more powerful gear. Its really hard to look past these as anet claimed a changing dynamic world that players could permanently affect, bashed sub fees saying it was basically ripping off customers, and shunning carrot on a stick tactics claiming that "fun" was all you needed.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The fairest model is eve.
    Pay a sub, no box price, free expansions.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I dont think the addition of a new tier of gear by itself is the issue. I just think that for some, this is the final straw in a list of letdowns.Lets be honest for a moment, the gw2 that we have in front of us is not quite like the one anet told us about. From an outsiders view, i dont think its a big deal especially since crafting will most likely stay up to date with the new tiers added. But some people seem disillusioned and i cant really blame them.

It started with dynamic events being redundant and farmable, then rng cash shop items, and now content patches that add more powerful gear. Its really hard to look past these as anet claimed a changing dynamic world that players could permanently affect, bashed sub fees saying it was basically ripping off customers, and shunning carrot on a stick tactics claiming that "fun" was all you needed.

You underestimate how big of an issue this is to many. The official forums really show this. I have dozens of tiered gear progression MMOs under my belt. One of the biggest Anet promises for this game, was not having to go through that. I could WvW and be on equal footing. I could pve and be on equal footing. I could take long breaks, come back and be on equat footing.

The progression was suppose to come in other forums, cosmetic, brag weapons, etc. 

If they go back on their word, then the game morphs quickly into every other MMO from the past 8 years. So then I have to ask myself, why am I playing it? It becomes harder to justify.