Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New dungeon will give us stronger armour

Comments

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Sounds like the power increase is just towards the new enemy, the Karka, or specific enemies (in line with infusion from GW1 as well), as the first part of the event is players searching Tyria for a way to hurt the new monsters.

''You see, as the Karka mature they develop a a nigh-impenetrable outer shell, which players will have to get through to start doing meaningful damage'.

Yeah, I dont see that harming WvW much or suddenly plopping us on a WoW like gear grind, but we can't expect anything but over reactions on this site )~

Not to rain on the parade of those with the obvious vendetta against the game, just sounds like there's a lot less going on than the over reactions here would have us believe.

Edit: And the new dungeon system sounds amazing, absolutely can't wait. All in all this update sounds fantastic for a free update.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Serelisk
    And at that point, I'm definitely gonna delete my account off of MMORPG.com and create a different account so I can come on here and bash games to eternity like every other disgruntled former MMO player on here. :/ This put me in such a horrifically bad mood. 

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by bcbully

I've been bugging tsw devs to go big pvp. Instead they have built on what they are best at, and what their core loves them for. This is why you see the sandbox theater and not more pvp maps...yet :y

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/news/read/26045/The-Secret-World-Big-PvP-Changes-Incoming.html

It's a start ;) Really I think this is the "stablizing of the current pvp content," something Snow had said before his departure.  I'm waiting for the new dynamic map and fight club 1v1,2v2 etc patch :) 

sorry for the off-topic post. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Really, REALLY hoping this isn't the start of a vertical progression system. I'll wait and see, but if it does turn out to be my worst nightmare, I'm probably gonna discontinuing play of GW2. Even though I like things that have nothing to do with PvE, like Keg + Costume Brawl, or even structured PvP, I'm predicting I won't be able to stand anyone mentioning the game anymore.  

And at that point, I'm definitely gonna delete my account off of MMORPG.com and create a different account so I can come on here and bash games to eternity like every other disgruntled former MMO player on here. :/ This put me in such a horrifically bad mood. 

I made the point yesterday that GW2 has been painted into a corner by those who do not want progression or competition, and that I can not see growth due to being in this corner. 

This is Anets attempt to climb out of that corner/nitch.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Valkaern

Sounds like the power increase is just towards the new enemy, the Karka, or specific enemies (in line with infusion from GW1 as well), as the first part of the event is players searching Tyria for a way to hurt the new monsters.

''You see, as the Karka mature they develop a a nigh-impenetrable outer shell, which players will have to get through to start doing meaningful damage'.

Yeah, I dont see that harming WvW much or suddenly plopping us on a WoW like gear grind, but we can't expect anything but over reactions on this site )~

Not to rain on the parade of those with the obvious vendetta against the game, just sounds like there's a lot less going on than the over reactions here would have us believe.

Edit: And the new dungeon system sounds amazing, absolutely can't wait. All in all this update sounds fantastic for a free update.

This is from the MMORPG.com article.  This could be incorrect, but it sounds like gear gated content to me.  I don't consider that a bad thing personally, but it's definitely a divergence from what I understood Anet's originally stated design goals to be.

Guild Wars 2 Previews: A Peek into the November Update

Speaking of rewards, the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon will introduce the new ‘Ascended' item type. This type is a bit more powerful than the Exotic quality items currently found in the game. There will only be a couple of Ascended quality items available initially, but some of the rarer Ascended items will also feature a new Infusion slot that will make players even more powerful so that they can tackle new challenges that ArenaNet plans to throw at them as they continue to expand on the dungeon over the coming months and years.

lol I love the name changers. They spout off this and that, and when this and that really aint what they say it was, or going to be, they slink off never to be heard of again.

Don't do that Serelisk. Own it. It build character.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Hypothetical question:

Two months after launch, Anet puts out a new dungeon containing better gear than is currently in game. I decide to pick up GW2 a year from now. I hit 80 and jump into WvW. Will I be getting stomped by people with better gear? For all we know, 6 more of these dungeons with stat upgrades could come out. Will I need to grind all this out in order to have the same stats?

And dont tell me they will add one tier below top tier available in the cash shop.

Originally posted by killion81

This is from the MMORPG.com article.  This could be incorrect, but it sounds like gear gated content to me.  I don't consider that a bad thing personally, but it's definitely a divergence from what I understood Anet's originally stated design goals to be.

Speaking of rewards, the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon will introduce the new ‘Ascended' item type. This type is a bit more powerful than the Exotic quality items currently found in the game. There will only be a couple of Ascended quality items available initially, but some of the rarer Ascended items will also feature a new Infusion slot that will make players even more powerful so that they can tackle new challenges that ArenaNet plans to throw at them as they continue to expand on the dungeon over the coming months and years.

Straight from the horse mouth. Gonna bookmark this.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I guess I don't see the big issue here. Getting this gear doesn't sound like it would be hard. Even so, I never find that gear plays a role in WvW. But that's maybe because I'm a spvper and everytime I go into WvW and skirmish or 1v1 others they are usually pretty bad and either die or run even with my "crappy" gear. I would imagine there are good pvpers in WvW but the mayority are pve folks or people that just do WvW which is very different from spvp. 

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

Well, I'm disappointed. It took me time and effort to max my armor / weapon crafting because they said we can get best statted stuff (exotic) that way! And now they come up with this new armor? Meh...

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Hypothetical question:

Two months after launch, Anet puts out a new dungeon containing better gear than is currently in game. I decide to pick up GW2 a year from now. I hit 80 and jump into WvW. Will I be getting stomped by people with better gear? For all we know, 6 more of these dungeons with stat upgrades could come out. Will I need to grind all this out in order to have the same stats?

And dont tell me they will add one tier below top tier available in the cash shop.

Hopefully if they stick to their philosophy you will be able to skip some of those dungeons just like you can skip exotics right now and compete with rare items.

Originally posted by Kuppa
    I guess I don't see the big issue here. Getting this gear doesn't sound like it would be hard. Even so, I never find that gear plays a role in WvW. But that's maybe because I'm a spvper and everytime I go into WvW and skirmish or 1v1 others they are usually pretty bad and either die or run even with my "crappy" gear. I would imagine there are good pvpers in WvW but the mayority are pve folks or people that just do WvW which is very different from spvp. Either way, I am intriged as to why Anet decided to add stronger gear.

What's the #1 complaint been? No progression. This is their answer to this complaint.  To bad they couldn't come up with something new, but alas no one has. 

I wonder if this has to do with the earnings report...  just messing with you man ;)

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Pathetic agendas aside, if you understood what infusion meant, and that it exists in GW1, you would realize how silly your posturing makes you sound.

He doesn't know what it means...Anet should have probably given some idea though, so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

I guess I don't see the big issue here. Getting this gear doesn't sound like it would be hard. Even so, I never find that gear plays a role in WvW. But that's maybe because I'm a spvper and everytime I go into WvW and skirmish or 1v1 others they are usually pretty bad and either die or run even with my "crappy" gear. I would imagine there are good pvpers in WvW but the mayority are pve folks or people that just do WvW which is very different from spvp. Either way, I am intriged as to why Anet decided to add stronger gear.

What's the #1 complaint been? No progression. This is their answer to this complaint.  To bad they couldn't come up with something new, but alas no one has. 

I wonder if this has to do with the earnings report...  just messing with you man ;)

Hey! I edited that part out! lol

I figured I knew why they added it.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Pathetic agendas aside, if you understood what infusion meant, and that it exists in GW1, you would realize how silly your posturing makes you sound.

He doesn't know what it means...Anet should have probably given some idea though, so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Let him enjoy his time =P

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by saurus123

stop panicking

if you didnt played Gw1 and dont know what infusion and insignias are

you should read

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Infusion

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Insignia

with the introduction to new enemy type "karka" and more info

Aside from being a new type of foe, the karka also bring in new mechanics and skills. Part of the event will involve players racing around Tyria to try to figure out how to damage these baddies. You see, as they mature, karka develop a nigh-impenetrable outer shell, which players will have to get through to start doing meaningful damage.

you already should figure it out

Good post.  Thanks for linking the wiki entries.

Some people should understand how Guild Wars works before they get on their dancing shoes.  This isn't really different from GW1.  There is really nothing to see here.

Very true.

The problem here is pretty obviously a few people (apparently quite a few are not even players of GW2) clearly wanting this to be something more than it is.

You can post logic and facts that were posted elsewhere to paint a clearer picture of the actual situation, but they're clearly not interested, they want a sensational spectacle at all costs. Reality be damned, they want to be right about something. That's more important.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

lol I love the name changers. They spout off this and that, and when this and that really aint what they say it was, or going to be, they slink off never to be heard of again.

Don't do that Serelisk. Own it. It build character.

The name changing thing was mostly just making fun of the people who's only agenda seems to bash everything and everyone as well as emphatically describing my opposition to ArenaNet including a progression system... And honestly, if it wasn't against MMORPG rules, I'd point some of those people out right now... 

But looking at this rationally after I had a 30 minute period of freaking the flip out, there's really no way they're actually considering adding a progression system. 

What we know: a vague description of ascended armor from previews of a new patch where it was described both that few of those items exist, and "something" is needed to crack the shells of the new enemy type... 

A much more logical conclusion then is that these new Ascended tier items are only specific to this certain kind of creature, and there only added power comes from being able to defeat them in this infinite dungeon. This is far more inline with the terms of infusion and Ascended that stem from GW1, and will most likely not lead to a gear progression system. If there's any progression that will come out of this, it's specific to that arena style dungeon in the game. 

Also, unless ArenaNet is absolutely suicidal, they wouldn't have seriously revealed that they're going back on the biggest design philosophy of the game currently through third party sites. Something like that would require either months of easing, or a full out blog post by the president of the company. 

Hence why I stated the wait and see attitude. 

But yeah, if everything I just said is wrong and 6 months from now we're now on Tier 12 gear and 20 man raids or something with heroic keys and everything else that's not good at all in MMORPG's, feel free to call me out and say "Haha, Serelisk is a chump because be punked out on the MMORPG he used to like before they completely changed what that game meant to him." I'm fully inviting you to invalidate every argument I try to pose on any game thread by linking to this post if this horrible game design makes it's way into this game in any huge way. 

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

stop panicking

you should read

Aside from being a new type of foe, the karka also bring in new mechanics and skills. Part of the event will involve players racing around Tyria to try to figure out how to damage these baddies. You see, as they mature, karka develop a nigh-impenetrable outer shell, which players will have to get through to start doing meaningful damage.

Some people should understand how Guild Wars works before they get on their dancing shoes.  This isn't really different from GW1.  There is really nothing to see here.

Very true.

The problem here is pretty obviously a few people (apparently quite a few are not even players of GW2) clearly wanting this to be something more than it is.

You can post logic and facts that were posted elsewhere to paint a clearer picture of the actual situation, but they're clearly not interested, they want a sensational spectacle at all costs. Reality be damned, they want to be right about something. That's more important.

Your critical thinking not needed on the interwebz good sir!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• GorkosGorkos Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Bijou

Well, I'm disappointed. It took me time and effort to max my armor / weapon crafting because they said we can get best statted stuff (exotic) that way! And now they come up with this new armor?! I know players' mentality, even if the stats are only slightly better, they will want this new gear! This makes crafting useless!

I enjoy farming and making exotics for guildies / friends but no one will need my crafted gear anymore! I don't enjoy dungeons, only did Arah once for personal story, it took forever, it was mentally and physically exhausting, I don't want to do it again! I just want to be useful as a crafter but this update is against those who enjoy making exotics...

I was in love with this game but right now... I don't know anymore. I can't describe how disappointed I am right now. Sorry for my bad English.

As a dedicated crafter this is what I'm worryed about too....

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

stop panicking

you should read

Very true.

The "infusion slot" on some ascended gear may be used to damage the new mobs.  However, what about this part?

Speaking of rewards, the Fractals of the Mist Dungeon will introduce the new ‘Ascended' item type. This type is a bit more powerful than the Exotic quality items currently found in the game.

Doesn't that flat out state that the Ascended armor found in the new dungeon is better than exotic quality items?  Also, notice the fancy wording with currently found in the game.  That leads me to believe that they may be weaker than exotic quality items found in the game at a later point in time.  That last part is simply a speculative interpretation, BUT it is clearly stated that Ascended armor is better than exotics.

I crusade for the truth! What am I missing? This stuff seems to increase stats on top of the tier increase in armor, even make it necesarry to do certain content.

"A character with non-infused armor who is suffering from Spectral Agony suffers heavy damage, health degeneration, and movement and action speed reduction. "

"that can boost health, increase armor ratingreduce damage, or provide some other profession-specific benefit."

sorry kupp looking for clarification.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Hypothetical question:

No one can really answer that Foom.  What they're adding so far is a lot like how top tier armour was expanded in GW1.  Some monster types in GW1 have a spectral attack that is pretty brutal.  The defense against this is armour infusion.  The insignias are slotted buff items that can go into armour.  It's like the prefix slot, where runes are the suffix slot, in other games that have an armour slot systems.

All other philosophies aside Anet doesn't do vertical gear progression because it adds to the pvp balance nightmare.  So they typicall add vertical progression items slowly and carefully because in the end they have to balance them.

I've been doing fine in WvW with characters in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.  My ranger is the weakest pvp character I have and he's 72 and still does fine.

Cash shop games like this rarely sell the top tier gears outright.  They usually sell boosts and buffs to craft things.  I don't know of any top gear in their cash shop.  GW1 does sell a generic max stat item pack that you can use to equip your heroes, but all the gear is roughly the same.

dude what are you talking about?! That colin dude just said  "Ascended armors are "slightly more powerful than exotics" and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions"

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

There should always be more progression for characters, you can call it grinding if you want but its progression, thats the point of playing, but if this stuff is indeed only attainable in this new dungeon meaning requiring grouping to get, I will be done with this game.

If they really want to keep it even, they will allow crafters to find a way to make this kind of armor aswell that doesnt require dungeon crawling, be it a champion event or something of the sort that is extremly hard to solo, but still soloable by those with the skill to, so far thats how they have kept it, but this would completly destroy that idea and make it just another Themepark like everyone else.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang Hypothetical question: Two months after launch, Anet puts out a new dungeon containing better gear than is currently in game. I decide to pick up GW2 a year from now. I hit 80 and jump into WvW. Will I be getting stomped by people with better gear? For all we know, 6 more of these dungeons with stat upgrades could come out. Will I need to grind all this out in order to have the same stats? And dont tell me they will add one tier below top tier available in the cash shop.
    No one can really answer that Foom.  What they're adding so far is a lot like how top tier armour was expanded in GW1.  Some monster types in GW1 have a spectral attack that is pretty brutal.  The defense against this is armour infusion.  The insignias are slotted buff items that can go into armour.  It's like the prefix slot, where runes are the suffix slot, in other games that have an armour slot systems.

All other philosophies aside Anet doesn't do vertical gear progression because it adds to the pvp balance nightmare.  So they typicall add vertical progression items slowly and carefully because in the end they have to balance them.

I've been doing fine in WvW with characters in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.  My ranger is the weakest pvp character I have and he's 72 and still does fine.

Cash shop games like this rarely sell the top tier gears outright.  They usually sell boosts and buffs to craft things.  I don't know of any top gear in their cash shop.  GW1 does sell a generic max stat item pack that you can use to equip your heroes, but all the gear is roughly the same.

Ah ok that makes sense and is good to hear. So basically, infusions are like a more interesting approach to resist checks for certain boss fights? And it doesn't ipact pvp performance? That is good news. Especially for someone like me who will probably pick this up on the cheap somewhere down the road.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

stop panicking

you should read

Good to see everyone skipped this and already got their panties in a twist.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.