Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New dungeon will give us stronger armour

QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/guild-wars-2s-lost-shores-content-primer/#continued

"Fractals of the Mists

ArenaNet's Colin Johanson briefly introduced the brand-new dungeon as one that gets more challenging the farther in you go. Conventional wisdom would suggest that that's nearly always the case, but Johanson left out a key detail: In the Fractals of the Mists dungeon, you can go indefinitely farther in.

The Fractals of the Mists is made up of nine mini-dungeons, each with its own story and environment. A party of five will enter the dungeon and be faced with a random set of three of these dungeons at a time. Upon completing those three, the party will be transported to a hub to rest, repair, and merch -- and the difficulty scale for the dungeon will be raised. Every time the difficulty scale is at an even number, players will face a special boss encounter.

With great challenges come great rewards. The patch will introduce ascended items. Ascended armors are "slightly more powerful than exotics" and can, in some cases, hold slots for infusions. Infusions will allow you to increase your character's power. Guild Wars players are familiar with infusing armor, although I'll be my hat that the process doesn't involve creepy Seers this time 'round."

I'm very surpriced tbh o_O

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    yeah sounds like they caved.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Infusion in GW1 was awesome, you can really customize your armour how you want. It's almost like mini-traits.

• EntiochEntioch Member Posts: 49
    good, armor equality belongs in pvp and spvp, not pve :P
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Does that mean that this new addition is endgame and that the whole rest of the game isn't endgame?  I seem to remember "the whole game is endgame" being thrown around quite a bit.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

There are already three tiers of armor in GW2 this is tier 4.

Looks like end game is shaping up to go vertical ;)

So now everyone will need to grind these dungeons to get top tier armor. lol!!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Gg. Let the "gear grind" begin muhahahhh lmao.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

I had to read it again because i couldn't believe my eyes.

Jesus lol!!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Entioch
    good, armor equality belongs in pvp and spvp, not pve :P

I agree with this.  However, some GW2 fans don't want anything better.  We better put some security on bridges as this is sure to make the cosmetics rule crowd very upset.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by bcbully

Its better to have gear to grind for than just having the grind

Now if they could just add some progression to leveling beyond 40 the game might actually manage to keep my interest beyond a couple of hours a month (if that)

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    The truth is there always was some vertical progression. you got green>yellow>exotic. But since getting exotics is so incredibly easy (ok it might cost you a little bit of gold) no one was thinking about it as vertical progression. I wonder what exactly infused armour will do. In GW1 it allowed us to fight a specific enemy (mursat), will it allow us to fight this new enemies?
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

You don't have to grind for the gear.

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

You don't have to grind gear in any MMO. And yet GW2 fans make it sound that dungeon grind is compulsory in other MMOS.

Sorry but i am enjoying the sweet irony here. Do not disturb ;)

Inb4- the increase is not that much

Hahahahahh
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by deakon

Now if they could just add some progression to leveling beyond 40 the game might actually manage to keep my interest beyond a couple of hours a month (if that)

Sorry - now GW2 is just like EVERY other game out there. They caved to the hardcore whiners and not worrying about the casual player. That is sad.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You don't have to grind gear in any MMO. And yet GW2 fans make it sound that dungeon grind is compulsory in other MMOS.

I Rift, which I have played, YES you have to grind to get end game or you really can't play, So the grind IS compulosry.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

So, it's an infinite arena-style dungeon? Sounds alright. I'm a bit wary of the new armor quality, but it could be done well.

I wonder if those items (and infusions) will make their way into sPvP, too.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by botrytis

Originally posted by bcbully Gg. Let the "gear grind" begin muhahahhh lmao.
    Its better to have gear to grind for than just having the grind   Now if they could just add some progression to leveling beyond 40 the game might actually manage to keep my interest beyond a couple of hours a month (if that)
    Sorry - now GW2 is just like EVERY other game out there. They caved to the hardcore whiners and not worrying about the casual player. That is sad.

It's not even that, Its logical sense in an rpg to have continual character progression.

Striving for statistical parity is nonsense in a rpg, May as well play a shooter.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

I Rift, which I have played, YES you have to grind to get end game or you really can't play, So the grind IS compulosry.

End game is not just dungeon grind. That is your own problem if that is the only thing you saw in rift. I haven't entered one dungeon in Rift and still lasted for 6 months in that game.

Anyways, topic is about GW2, and better armor is better. Ascended gear gives advantage our exotics. ..by doign that Anet took the word 'optional grind' out of equation.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I always wanted a random dungeon like that in MMOs that I played.

A dungeon with 9 variations but you only get 3 when you zone in? thats a lot of replay value.

I dont know how I feel about the powerful gear but i hope more open world, crafting and pvp items are introduced that are equal in power for those that don't like dungeons.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

oooh I see, anet is against raiding. Not against "gear grind", just raiding. Lmfao
  • PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

wow i'm Really and kinda pissed at the same time , I am not playing anymore but I got my full flamearmor set before leaving KNOWING that they said that end game gear will be best for a lot of time because progression will be horizontal.

Now I know that all the time I "wasted" doing cathedral of flame again and again to grind a set was "useless" since if I relog in 6 months my gear will probably be outdated by a lot.. Wow..

So this game really is like the other ones..

Meh.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Pouf
    wow i'm Really and kinda pissed at the same time , I am not playing anymore but I got my full flamearmor set before leaving KNOWING that they said that end game gear will be best for a lot of time because progression will be horizontal. Now I know that all the time I "wasted" doing cathedral of flame again and again to grind a set was "useless" since if I relog in 6 months my gear will probably be outdated by a lot.. Wow.. So this game really is like the other ones.. Meh.

Still use the skin?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Pouf

wow i'm Really and kinda pissed at the same time , I am not playing anymore but I got my full flamearmor set before leaving KNOWING that they said that end game gear will be best for a lot of time because progression will be horizontal.

Now I know that all the time I "wasted" doing cathedral of flame again and again to grind a set was "useless" since if I relog in 6 months my gear will probably be outdated by a lot.. Wow..

So this game really is like the other ones..

Meh.

Yes and it would be foolish to think that GW2 would have survived only on basis of cosmetic grind. GW2 isn't GW1. 

When Anet said they want to beat WOW in sales it should have set alarm bells off for a lot of fans but hey 'Anet can do no wrong' right?

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

They wouldnt have caved without reason tho, at the heart of all RPG's is progression, theyre about improving the strength of your toon, without the knowledge that the next "carrot" is just around the corner people lose interest and gw2 tends to run out of "carrots" around level 40 (once you unlock your elite).

In structured PvP it makes sence for everyone to be even because its all about competition rather than progression, so everyone should be equal. Where as PvE is all about progression and world pvp can never be balanced anyway due to number fluctuations, so stats there dont matter as much.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It does sound suspiciously like that "small team content" Blizzard promised, lo, those many years ago.  Except without the big team content.

A scalable model swiped more from CoH than from WoW, really.  A WoW 5-man heroic, less the fixed loot tables.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.