Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragons are overdone. What unique creatures would you use as the "main villain"?

Comments

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Dragons are great. they are just not bad ass enough these days..
  • Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    What about an underworld setting, with the last boss as Hades and Cerberus, with the maturity and graphics style of Age of Conan....fighting a gigantic three headed dog that breathes fire sounds awesome to me. with the main enemies being the undead army of hades.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

There is so much more to it than simply it being "a dragon"; firstly, it isn't an end boss, as it only appeared in the cutscene (and before that we were told it was a meteor spell intent to lay waste to the land, the primals and those who opposed His Radiance).  There was well over 50 hours of cutscenes the past year about a Meteor being cast down (a lot of fight scenes as well!) and you trying to do everything in your power to stop it.  There was even a countdown to Impact on the login screen, and then suddenly it turned out to be Bahamut (a huge surprise to players).

The END BOSS of 1.0 was a man named Nael Van Darnus, an Imperial Legatus (Judge) and you fought him on a high platform in hopes to stop him from using himself as a beacon to call Meteor down upon (after destroying his machine that did so, he sought to sacrifice his body for his "master" -- the Meteor called Dalamund).

It was a brutal fight to be sure on the hardest difficulty.

Though, it was quite beautiful with Meteor just hanging overhead as you fought the guy.

Here is the final boss of FFXIV (Spoilers; though it doesn't matter since this version is not available as of yesterday)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Would love to see a boss that you had to beat using intellect including/rather than brawn. The Kael'thas fight in WoW was tactically one of the best in recent memory but even that was ultimately a brawn fight.

done.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,881

1. Anime girls in a game with otherwise realistic graphics

2. Tax forms that are alive

3. Floor

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Interesting topic. I too think that mmos could come up with more than dragons as main villans. Here is a short list for me:

• Original sins: main villians based on greed, lust, envy, pride, glutton, wrath and sloth
    • Elements: Earth, fire air and water (think giant golem-like)
    • Bible based: Behemoth, Leviathan, Nephilim, Horsemen (conquest, war, famine and death), The First Beast and The Second Beast.
    • Aquatic origins: Kraken, Tiamat (not D&D) or Hydra
    • Final Fantasy summons: Names are fair game since they are not original. Just need to render their own interpretation.
    • Astrology based: Leo, Aquarius, Scorpio, etc.
    • Insect based: scarabs, scorpions, spiders

The base concept for the creatureless suggestions could be anything: birds, lions, apes, serpents, winged demons and such.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Dragons are the biggest, baddest things around... they will always be the end bosses.  Greek mythology could present some unique boss ideas, though.
  • Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by Ozivois
    Dragons are the biggest, baddest things around... they will always be the end bosses.  Greek mythology could present some unique boss ideas, though.

its cliche movie wise but havent seen it done in games too often or even done right, in my last post what i had goin in my head was hades trying to invade the human realm with his undead army, and your character is the "hero' that pushes him back to the underworld, taking down bosses up the army ranks till you take down the generals then cerberus and meet hades. a bit basic but if done right i think it would make a great greek mythology game.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Beholder or the Lesser known Illithid hives or an Aboleth.

All are known for their scheming & manipulation.
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Demons not a minor or lesser demon though but one of powerful stature
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by tofke
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by tofke

Dolphins!

They could be the evil masterminds of the universe and you wouldn't even understand em!

HA!

Would they be ill tempered and have laser beams attached to there freakin heads?

Mm lasers makes em even more terifying!! Like dinosaurs with lasers and saddles! :o We're onto something! Let's create a new IP! To the SOE mobile!

ROFL

• JohnH2005JohnH2005 Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Arcondo87
    i too am sick of seeing dragons in ever y single mmo as UNBER LEET bosses...WE WANT SUMTHING DIFFRENT!

How about a spelling or grammer test?  That would be the ultimate boss!  99% of players would fail!

If you use "plz" because it is shorter than "please" I will use "no" because it is shorter than "yes."

• JohnH2005JohnH2005 Member Posts: 25

Tarrasque.  Kind of dragon like but not quite dragon.  Though it is neither good or evil it is a force of destruction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrasque_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

https://www.google.com/search?q=tarrasque&hl=en&tbo=u&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS479US479&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vSKlUN2gOYfO9QSGwYAY&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1517&bih=756

I guess the genre of the game really determines the type of end bosses you should/could have.  Super Villians are fine.  They can come in all shapes, sizes and forms.  Pulling from D&D/Fantasy you have Ilitthid, Beholders, Lich's etc.

There are tons of Fantasy artists out there that can draw some crazy looking stuff.  All of it is game if you make your own world.

If you use "plz" because it is shorter than "please" I will use "no" because it is shorter than "yes."

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Those religious people who ring my door bell every Saturday and Sunday morning to try to convert me.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by JohnH2005

Tarrasque.  Kind of dragon like but not quite dragon.  Though it is neither good or evil it is a force of destruction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrasque_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

https://www.google.com/search?q=tarrasque&hl=en&tbo=u&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS479US479&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vSKlUN2gOYfO9QSGwYAY&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1517&bih=756

I guess the genre of the game really determines the type of end bosses you should/could have.  Super Villians are fine.  They can come in all shapes, sizes and forms.  Pulling from D&D/Fantasy you have Ilitthid, Beholders, Lich's etc.

There are tons of Fantasy artists out there that can draw some crazy looking stuff.  All of it is game if you make your own world.

+1

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by JohnH2005
    Originally posted by Arcondo87
    i too am sick of seeing dragons in ever y single mmo as UNBER LEET bosses...WE WANT SUMTHING DIFFRENT!

How about a spelling or grammer test?  That would be the ultimate boss!  99% of players would fail!

99%? I guess you're kind of right.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    EAzilla. A giant predator that eats up everything and leaves a trail of huge horrible smelly turds along the way.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    Giants, ogres, vampires, trolls (like the big ones in LOTR), wraiths, undead, chimeras, Medusa.

My thinking as well..   I like to see a better variety of mobs and bosses, instead of just reusing the same model with different colors..

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

A dragon by any other name is still a large pool of hit points and an apocolyptic attack.  If you want to design a unique main villain, then you need a unique question that is the foundation of your story.  Your villain is the embodiment of the wrong answer to this question.  I find that once I have the question, its answer and why it's the wrong answer, details like what it looks like or how it attacks or what it's fatal weakness is become easy to fill in.

If the central question of your story is "Who thinks they can possibly defeat my awesome might and take my treasure?", then your villain is going to end up behaving ike a dragon no matter what body you want to slap on it.

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Dragons are not over-done until a game comes out where you can go out and tame them to fight for you and ride them freely as pets..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Well, I think dragons still have their place.  An MMO has yet to really do them well, like others have said.

However, I wonder if a .. less high fantasy setting could work in an MMO.  Something like you have in a song of ice and fire.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by Krematory
    Lawyers?

lawlz

I would add venture capitalists and investment bankers also though.

Add central bankers and I think you've got a winner.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Turns out, it's 'man'.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    A Panda, they are scary.