Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragons are overdone. What unique creatures would you use as the "main villain"?

I was reading the thread about te FFXIV "End of an Era" video when i poster pointed out how Bahamut being a dragon was oversuded. Now, i know Bahamut is important to FF and as appeared before, so it's not about that.

But, i do agree with him (her). Dragons are standart in fantasy games, understood, but i think there's a limit to things. Recently, they've been even more ovedone. WOW's Deathwing and dragon army. RIFT'S whole Blood Storm and using Crucia as the face of teh expac. GW2's still as 4 Elder Dragons to go, and even then the most "unique, well known" enemies are dragons. Now Bahamut. I would be suprised to see tons in TESO and NW. Hell, SOE announced "Dragon Prophet" which will ahve over 300 of them.

What i find even more annoying is how the Western "four-legged, winged reptile" style is always the ones choosen. Why not atleast use the Eastern " serpentine" style more often.

So, i would like to know what you guys would use in place of dragons as the main villain for a new MMO? 

REMEMBER- You can use monters with "dragonic" features, like Hydras which grow more head or the Serpent dragon i meantioned. 

Just be creative.

Comments

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Lawyers?

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by Krematory
    Lawyers?

Lolz.  2nd that.

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291
    An Emperor. But then again, nobody wants a human end boss.
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Giants, ogres, vampires, trolls (like the big ones in LOTR), wraiths, undead, chimeras, Medusa.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    EQ IMO still has the best and most varied of bosses or gods, no other MMO comes close.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Voltron 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Man

Possibly letting players play dragons
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Krematory
    Lawyers?

lawlz

I would add venture capitalists and investment bankers also though.

------------

Anyway I personally don't need 'one big huge villain' in mmorpg.  Anyway I agree that dragons are overdone. If it is type of mmorpg that really need 'big bad villain comic stories style' then I just anything non-dragon.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    Gotta go with Mindflayers, illithids are really underrated while being amazingly strong, scary, and completly unknown

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    8bitmmo has lawyer cats
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Mythical creatures, maybe a cyclops or something.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Mafia.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    The Russians.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

I don't think dragons are overdone at all. If anything, most games haven't done them well.

However, unless one wants to make up a monster, can't one make an argument that they all monsters are overdone? Though one has to think that demons, devils, dragons, vampires "etc" have been in literature for hundreds, even thousands of years. Why are they "all of a sudden" done?

Ok fine. I'll go with lawyers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Waybackwhen
    Mythical creatures, maybe a cyclops or something.

Vanguard has cyclops but they are not all are main villains.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't think dragons are overdone at all. If anything, most games haven't done them well.

However, unless one wants to make up a monster, can't one make an argument that they all monsters are overdone? Though one has to think that demons, devils, dragons, vampires "etc" have been in literature for hundreds, even thousands of years. Why are they "all of a sudden" done?

As in the title, i mean as a "main villain". Of course, all kinds of fantasy creatures have been used, including demons and humans. For example, the "evil guy with an armor" is also another one, like the Lich King in WOW.

However, using, a gigantic Cerberus as a final monster would be cool, IMO. In fact, what if, since Cerberus have 3 heads there where 3 minds and personalities to it? Just an idea, but i think it'd be alot more interesting to fight one than evil dragon number 385.

Also, lawyers are good. EA suits would be another one.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i havent seen a lot of game use the mythical Sphinx, or a demon child ( i guess killing a child for epic loot might be pushing it). any type of lizzard or even reptile can probably do. 

an elephant with snakes instead of snout?

the thing is that dragons are pretty much the top of the fantasy food chain. there is simply nothing that eats dragons. dragons are the supremely powerful animals and have been at the core of fantasy for hundreds of years. you can't just simply brake that conditioning.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

the thing is that dragons are pretty much the top of the fantasy food chain. there is simply nothing that eats dragons. dragons are the supremely powerful animals and have been at the core of fantasy for hundreds of years. you can't just simply brake that conditioning.

This is hard to beat.

Dragons are:

Ancient - and subsequently wise as they've seen history come and go.

Magic using

Physically powerful

Like to horde treasure

Highly Intelligent

Oh, and they look cool.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    The leader/king you have been working for the entire time.  I always find the best main villains are the ones that betray you.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    Originally posted by Sovrath

As in the title, i mean as a "main villain". Of course, all kinds of fantasy creatures have been used, including demons and humans. For example, the "evil guy with an armor" is also another one, like the Lich King in WOW.

However, using, a gigantic Cerberus as a final monster would be cool, IMO. In fact, what if, since Cerberus have 3 heads there where 3 minds and personalities to it? Just an idea, but i think it'd be alot more interesting to fight one than evil dragon number 385.

Also, lawyers are good. EA suits would be another one.

I think it sort of has to make sense.

A giant Cerberus is what? For the most part people know who cerberus is or at least have seen it before.

The reason things like Demons and ghosts are used is because they recur in our own folklore. Same with dragons.

I would say that as a main villain one has to tap into something in our consciouness so that when we see it we are already informed as to, at least on the surface, what we are going to experience.

giant staypuft marshmallow man.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

"So, i would like to know what you guys would use in place of dragons as the main villain for a new MMO?"

Whatever else may be used it almost always comes down to something that's: scary, super large, beastial, wings...must have wings...and claws...fangs and other pointy/portruding stuff.

Would one rather a giant gelatin be the destroyer of worlds? image

I personally prefer more humanoid types. I lose my shit over Gods or some form of deity. A deity lawyer perhaps? Yes, must be a lawyer. With wings. And fangs. 

• Devils, demons, vampires, liches mummies or powerful adventurers (mages, warriors etc) turned evil. And the Sheriff of Nottingham.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    ManBearPig

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• MonvedaMonveda Member Posts: 16
    Horse
  • Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Humans as the villain, and you can't play as humans, only whatever fantasy races suits your needs.