Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Sued over lax B.Net Security; Profiting on Authenticators

Comments

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Phry

do you have any links to this 'history' of loose security by any chance, other than hearsay that is.. .. thought not.

One, I tried downloading the trial for WOW, directly from them (no other sites, except perhaps this one, which has not given me trouble, were involved), played it for a week, and I'm still getting emails about my account, years later. Never had anything even close happen with anybody else, and I've tried a lot of games out over the years. Two, the problems I encountered with D2 on the on Battlenet the few times I bothered to venture onto it were enough to make me not bother very often. Three, if you genuinely believe that every single customer that has claimed problems with Blizzard brought it on themselves, you are delusional; at some point, there amasses enough circumstancial evidence that it becomes clear that at least some of it has to be valid, and Blizzard is well past that point.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    This guy should be suing the hacker, not blizzard.  It's as simple as that.  Guy is greedy, plain and simple.
    Please note, I am not trying to say that the consumer in entirely off the hook, but I find Blizzard's claim that they are free from any responsibility to be unhelpful and a major turnoff just as much as the other extreme of saying that it's all Blizzard's fault.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by sunshadow21

do you have any links to this 'history' of loose security by any chance, other than hearsay that is.. .. thought not.

One, I tried downloading the trial for WOW, directly from them (no other sites, except perhaps this one, which has not given me trouble, were involved), played it for a week, and I'm still getting emails about my account, years later. Never had anything even close happen with anybody else, and I've tried a lot of games out over the years. Two, the problems I encountered with D2 on the on Battlenet the few times I bothered to venture onto it were enough to make me not bother very often. Three, if you genuinely believe that every single customer that has claimed problems with Blizzard brought it on themselves, you are delusional; at some point, there amasses enough circumstancial evidence that it becomes clear that at least some of it has to be valid, and Blizzard is well past that point.

it's brought on by hackers.  wether on not battle.net got hacked is one thing.  but most account hacks are from users using the same email and password for everything.  hackers with hack into databases of game forums.  and then proceed to use those emails and passwords to get into peoples gaming accounts.  blizzard has no control over that.  im sure they could have better security but people need to stop pointing fingers.  if your acccount gets hacked it's becuase you weren't smart enough to keep your email and password safe.  by not using the same one everytime.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    I hope the guy wins. This will send a very good message to other game company. Data security is not something to be taken lightly to force user to buy authenticator, it should be the same level for everyone.

The authenticator has nothing to do with Blizzards internal security.  Its a fail safe to prevent the USERS END MACHINE from causing a problem.  You see, internal security prevents stuff like hackers and whatnot stealing sensitive information stored on Blizzards servers.  But they can't prevent YOU from getting a keylogger or Trojan during your time on the internet.  People do stupid crap online.  The most Blizzard can do is lock the account if its seen logging in from vastly different locations.  Otherwise, the person "hacking your account" did the same thing you would do.  Used your ID and Password.  They got it from your computer thanks to a keylogger.  Blizzard already DOES freeze accounts that log in from crazy different locations...but THEN you still have people who go on vacation and whine about losing access because they tried to log in from Florida 12 hours after logging in from Texas. 

The aunthenticator is a system that helps the user from himself.  Even if the keylogger gets your information...it can't get the authenticator.  Without it, they still can't access your account.    But its not fair to think its Blizzards responsibility to provide that to you.  The end user COULD be more careful with their machines.  This is akin to blaming the dealership because you chose to drive the car 89 miles an hour with the e-brake on.  Yes, they are responsible for providing quality, not for your ignorance.  In fact, they should never have even sold the authenticator.  Anyone too stupid to check their system once in awhile probably deserves to have their shit compromised.

Originally posted by muffins89

it's brought on by hackers.  wether on not battle.net got hacked is one thing.  but most account hacks are from users using the same email and password for everything.  hackers with hack into databases of game forums.  and then proceed to use those emails and passwords to get into peoples gaming accounts.  blizzard has no control over that.  im sure they could have better security but people need to stop pointing fingers.  if your acccount gets hacked it's becuase you weren't smart enough to keep your email and password safe.  by not using the same one everytime.

Two problems with that.

First, I played WOW one week, never shared the login info with anyone or any other account, and someone still got a hold of it. And, again, Blizzard is the only company that happened with, despite me not doing anything particularly different with them than I did with any of the other companies whose games I tried, or for that matter, anywhere else I've ever been on the internet as a whole.

Second, I find the claim that Blizzard has no control over it to be pure BS. They cannot stomp it out completely, but they could do more to at least keep the problems contained, and track down and limit most of the repeat offenders. A lot of the reason they have the problems they do is that hackers can be pretty certain that Blizzard won't do anything in retaliation, certainly nothing that would stop them from trying again, and the affected customers can't do anything either. It is as much the fac t that Blizzard does nothing to combat the perception of a problem that causes them major difficulties. Less people would be wiling to try if they thought Blizzard actually cared, which right now, most people who aren't Blizzard fanboys would not likely believe.

As for pointing fingers, trying to blame it entirely on the consumer, which you did right after the admonishment to stop pointing fingers, is as useless as saying it's all Blizzard's fault, and that seem to be their strategy with everything I've seen with the authenticators. Like or not, until Blizzard steps up, and actively, openly engages these hackers, they will continue to have problems that most companies have found ways to contain.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Blizzard never claimed to be free of any responsibility. They claimed they're taking every  precaution consistant with standard industry practices, and more.  More importantly they proactively restore stolen accounts and items which is more than most other companies. Blizzard is a big target with deep pockets. That attracts thieves, ***holes, and lawsuits. 

Except they don't actually resolve the root problems, and they don't even meet standard industry practices. In a thread while back, their supporters even admitted that battlenet passwords didnt even have case sensitivity; if they can't even be bothered to implement something as basic as that, they are not meeting standard industry practices. Restoring stolen accounts doesn't do anything to deter the hackers; if anything, it encourages them by making it clear they really don't care what caused the problem, and that they have no intention of finding out the real problem, because that would likely require them to spend some of the vast amounts of money the games bring in. The big pockets argument falls apart when you realize that they had these problems back when they first released the original battlenet, and they were still trying to get the name recognition.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Kaerigan
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

The Authenticator it to try and "fix stupid". 9 times out of 10 when someone gets hacked it is because they went to a bad website. But people never want to admit they clicked on a shady link in an e-mail or went to a bad website.

And then there are people like me. I've got separate passwords for my Battle.net account and the email it is tied to. My account got locked for "suspicious activity". I changed both passwords and even bought a new computer (not because of that incident, of course, it was just time to upgrade). Now my account is locked again. And NO, I have honestly not attempted logging on to any totallylegitbattlenetfreegold.com or something retarded like that. I haven't shared my passwords with ANYONE.

This is the only one of my hundreds of accounts on various websites that has been compromised.

It's not like I have any proof but sometimes I wonder what the fuck Blizzard is up to.

Stop talking common sense with the Blizzard fanbois.  They will ever accept that something very fishy is going on with battle net now matter what happens.  They love to blame the players or the fact that WoW has some many players which is a factor, but they'll never believe that blizzard is doing anything fishy in an attempt to make more profit.  They could even have a news conference and admit it and the fanbois would have some excuse to not believe them.  Nothing should ever be outside the realm of possibility when it comes to a company and extra profit.

Originally posted by Latronus

Stop talking common sense with the Blizzard fanbois.  They will ever accept that something very fishy is going on with battle net now matter what happens.  They love to blame the players or the fact that WoW has some many players which is a factor, but they'll never believe that blizzard is doing anything fishy in an attempt to make more profit.  They could even have a news conference and admit it and the fanbois would have some excuse to not believe them.  Nothing should ever be outside the realm of possibility when it comes to a company and extra profit.

At this point, I think I might prefer the thought of them doing something fishy over the thought that is actually in my head, which is that they aren't doing anything at all. I don't believe they are actively trying to hurt their customer base, I just think they don't care about resolving the root problems when they can simply have some minimum wage slop in a call center press a button and resolve the immediate problem. Sure, it costs them money to run the call center and pay the warm body pushing the button, but it's still far cheaper than actaully addressing the real problem.

Originally posted by sunshadow21

*SNIP*

they aren't blaming the consumers.  they are doing there part and the consumers need to take responsibility and do their part.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Latronus

The Authenticator it to try and "fix stupid". 9 times out of 10 when someone gets hacked it is because they went to a bad website. But people never want to admit they clicked on a shady link in an e-mail or went to a bad website.

And then there are people like me. I've got separate passwords for my Battle.net account and the email it is tied to. My account got locked for "suspicious activity". I changed both passwords and even bought a new computer (not because of that incident, of course, it was just time to upgrade). Now my account is locked again. And NO, I have honestly not attempted logging on to any totallylegitbattlenetfreegold.com or something retarded like that. I haven't shared my passwords with ANYONE.

This is the only one of my hundreds of accounts on various websites that has been compromised.

It's not like I have any proof but sometimes I wonder what the fuck Blizzard is up to.

I agree. If someone posts that they've been hacked, that they use the authenticator, that they use a unique PW and email address for their account, that they never click on email links or go to dodgy websites the first reply on the forums will be something like... "Yeah. But do you talk in your sleep?"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Geez. There're gonna win too. I knew I was getting duped when I bought mine.

I hope people stop blaming the victim so quickly when they say "I got hacked."

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Could also be that blizzard system detected changes in your IP range and when that happen they lock the account as a safty measure. Have a friend who travel a lot and he have to go through that process once a day when he is no the road. He get the same message "locked due to suspicious acitvity"

This have been a good conversation

they aren't blaming the consumers.  they are doing there part and the consumers need to take responsibility and do their part.

Which apparently is spend even more money for a product that, if it really is that necessary, should have been included with the original product. Still not buying the argument.  I deal with companies online  that routinely process real money that don't require an authenticator, and yet, somehow a mere gaming company believes its the only way to resolve their complaints and that anyone who suggests that more could be done is wrong. That is the problem I have with Blizzard's position; the idea of an authenicator is not a bad one, but to put it out there as the primary line of defense when many other companies that deal with far greater security threats on a daily basis don't even feel they need to mention it as an option is absurd.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Gishgeron
    I hope the guy wins. This will send a very good message to other game company. Data security is not something to be taken lightly to force user to buy authenticator, it should be the same level for everyone.

The authenticator has nothing to do with Blizzards internal security.  Its a fail safe to prevent the USERS END MACHINE from causing a problem.  You see, internal security prevents stuff like hackers and whatnot stealing sensitive information stored on Blizzards servers.  But they can't prevent YOU from getting a keylogger or Trojan during your time on the internet.  People do stupid crap online.  The most Blizzard can do is lock the account if its seen logging in from vastly different locations.  Otherwise, the person "hacking your account" did the same thing you would do.  Used your ID and Password.  They got it from your computer thanks to a keylogger.  Blizzard already DOES freeze accounts that log in from crazy different locations...but THEN you still have people who go on vacation and whine about losing access because they tried to log in from Florida 12 hours after logging in from Texas. 

The aunthenticator is a system that helps the user from himself.  Even if the keylogger gets your information...it can't get the authenticator.  Without it, they still can't access your account.    But its not fair to think its Blizzards responsibility to provide that to you.  The end user COULD be more careful with their machines.  This is akin to blaming the dealership because you chose to drive the car 89 miles an hour with the e-brake on.  Yes, they are responsible for providing quality, not for your ignorance.  In fact, they should never have even sold the authenticator.  Anyone too stupid to check their system once in awhile probably deserves to have their shit compromised.

The authenticator would block someone that stole e-mail and password from blizzard servers. Which is exactly what the lawsuit mention. Sure some people hit that phishing site or got keyloged, nothing can prevent that, but if the servers really got hacked as the lawsuit indicate it's a totally different matter, since I don't remember blizzard telling people that they got hacked.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    I've know and been saying this for years, theres no reason for Blizzard to crack down on all the hacking when they can just get people to buy the authenticators, which other games such as Asian games, have these kind of systems built in already to avoid such issues. Whether you believe it or not, the majority of people who get hacked did nothing to get themselves hacked, if you have a B.net account and dont log on for 3-6 months its basicly 100% chance that your account will get hacked, and on top of that, there are accounts with authenticators that have gotten hacked. Its very easy to see that Blizzard has basicly quit on their attempts to promise account saftey before they benifit from the hackers, they just think if they are prompt on fixing the situation its all ok, when really they should be stopping it from happening in the first place.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Originally posted by Azoth

The authenticator would block someone that stole e-mail and password from blizzard servers. Which is exactly what the lawsuit mention. Sure some people hit that phishing site or got keyloged, nothing can prevent that, but if the servers really got hacked as the lawsuit indicate it's a totally different matter, since I don't remember blizzard telling people that they got hacked.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/09/blizzards-battle-net-hacked-company-recommends-all-users-change-their-passwords/

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Sounds more like some dodgy lawyer type out to either  make a name for themselves or/and money, though how you managed to link Blizzard and Sony together in this, is just weird. More than likely the attempted lawsuit will fail anyway, its a bit like the google vs apple thing, its only newsworthy if its successful, so to speak, lawsuits are just an occupational hazard for large companies, especially with so many chancers around.image

Well, one of the big ones for me is the whole thing with selling authenticators.

If Bliz knew people needed to use an authenticator, they they knew that their network/acct security was not good enough. If they knew their security was not good enough, they should have fixed it. They can afford it.

And they REALLY shouldn't have charged people for a separate product to make up for that shoddy system in place to protect people's personal data.

They should have either incorporated the authenticator functionality into the main program, or given the authenticator away for free.

And yet Blizzard arent the only company to have authenticators as an option, the reality is that they do add significant levels of security to any game,  or online service as you can get authenticators now for bank accounts etc. Blizzard even went so far as to make the mobile app authenticator virtually free, its only the physical tokens that are in any way, 'expensive' and tbh, at £6 its hardly that. no, this lawsuit will be thrown out, chances are if you look at the guy attempting this, is that he has a history of dodgy lawsuits initiated by him, and that the only thing he is about is money, personally i wouldnt give them the time of day, as you usually find the same types are also into 'ambulance chasing' the only thing that surprises me is that anybody gives them any credence whatsoever. image

Not only that, but they did give them away for free for a time when they were apparently being inundated with users having their accounts compromised.  My wife got a free physical authenticator when her account was compromised.  (This was about a year and a half ago now).

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    people here just love to blame the consumer for every shoddy crappy game released or security measure on every website instead of the companies. Ive had mulitple game accounts for just about every mmorpg since DAOC , doubled including my wifes accounts also. Its kinda ironic that the only accounts ever hacked EVER for us is blizzzard wow accounts 3 times.... No gold sites , no shady forum sites just good ol blizzard. Their security sucks period and people can deny it all they wish and blame the guy who had the balls to stand up against this suit company whom think they are way above the law of everyone else. Blizzard does nothing against hackers , they could block ips from asia if they wanted to on american and euro servers , they choose not to . They could look for rerouted IPs as well through vpn but they dont . Some people commenting here i can tell havent a clue about internet security or the net in general when it comes to gaming , especially if you think blizzard gives a crap about your security , its the shoddiest company out there for security. I prey this suit goes through , not to give greedy lawyers money , but to force that terrible company to actually do its job and make new measures to keep security safe.
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/09/blizzards-battle-net-hacked-company-recommends-all-users-change-their-passwords/

Well then I don't see why people keep saying it's the players fault 99% of the time. If there was a lot of hacked account after the servers got hacked it's a pretty easy lawsuit to win.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by muffins89 Originally posted by Azoth Originally posted by Gishgeron Originally posted by Kaynos1972 I hope the guy wins. This will send a very good message to other game company. Data security is not something to be taken lightly to force user to buy authenticator, it should be the same level for everyone.
        The authenticator has nothing to do with Blizzards internal security.  Its a fail safe to prevent the USERS END MACHINE from causing a problem.  You see, internal security prevents stuff like hackers and whatnot stealing sensitive information stored on Blizzards servers.  But they can't prevent YOU from getting a keylogger or Trojan during your time on the internet.  People do stupid crap online.  The most Blizzard can do is lock the account if its seen logging in from vastly different locations.  Otherwise, the person "hacking your account" did the same thing you would do.  Used your ID and Password.  They got it from your computer thanks to a keylogger.  Blizzard already DOES freeze accounts that log in from crazy different locations...but THEN you still have people who go on vacation and whine about losing access because they tried to log in from Florida 12 hours after logging in from Texas.    The aunthenticator is a system that helps the user from himself.  Even if the keylogger gets your information...it can't get the authenticator.  Without it, they still can't access your account.    But its not fair to think its Blizzards responsibility to provide that to you.  The end user COULD be more careful with their machines.  This is akin to blaming the dealership because you chose to drive the car 89 miles an hour with the e-brake on.  Yes, they are responsible for providing quality, not for your ignorance.  In fact, they should never have even sold the authenticator.  Anyone too stupid to check their system once in awhile probably deserves to have their shit compromised.
    Well then I don't see why people keep saying it's the players fault 99% of the time. If there was a lot of hacked account after the servers got hacked it's a pretty easy lawsuit to win.

You must be a law professor or something with such an intimate understanding of the law.

This lawsuit will likely be thrown out.

Here's the Sony PSN lawsuit
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/us-judge-dismisses-majority-of-psn-class-action-lawsuit-6398708

Here's an excerpt that applies to this case:

Battaglia said that users should have been well aware that Sony's security was not "perfect", finding that all users had signed a Sony Privacy Policy that included "clear admonitory language" detailing that Sony's security was the way it was, and thus "no reasonable consumer could have been deceived".

Battaglia also dismissed the bailment charge with prejudice, due to the fact that the plaintiffs admitted that their personal information was stolen as a result of a criminal data breach that had nothing to do with Sony.

Basically
    No security system is perfect
    ToS covers this kind of stuff
    When a company is hacked its not the companies fault, its the hacker's

Basically
    No security system is perfect
    ToS covers this kind of stuff
    When a company is hacked its not the companies fault, its the hacker's

Assuming that the company can prove they have done everything reasonable on their end, and the authenticator may or may not prove to be enough to meet that requirement, given that such technology could easily be incorporated into the software on their end without having to burden the consumer with the requirement of using one, even if it is still a good idea to provide double coverage. Trying to compare the lawsuits is tough, given that while Sony had many detractors for many reasons, security of their data has not been one of the persisting issues. It may prove to be harder for Blizzard to brush such concerns aside when any lawyer worth the price should be able to find multiple legitimate examples, not just recently, but going a long way back.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

The class action lawsuit over Sony's Playstation Network being hacked was thrown out of court.

The same is likely to happen here.

sounds reasonable

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57538716-93/sony-psn-hacking-lawsuit-dismissed-by-judge/

• Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    There will be no settlement and Blizzard will not lose this case if it goes forward.

Most likely outcome.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Originally posted by biggarfoot
    I think the guy has a strong case, like was qouted $26m  from authenticators and blizzard didnt secure players data sufficiently, all that data should of been encrypted.  To many companies are keeping personal data on their customers to freely and need to be made accountable.

What are you talking about?  Probably 95% of player hacks are due to people using the their Blizzard password at compromised 3rd party sites or downloading keyloggers to their computers.  When has anyone ever accessed players login info from Blizzard directly?