Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how would you all feel if Anet added endgame Raid Dungeons in next month's content update?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

So how would you all feel if Anet added endgame Raid Dungeons in next month's content update?

would you be happy or unhappy about such a change?

Well I do remember the game GW2 getting a lot of positive hype for not having Raid Dungeons, or any Instanced group content larger than 5 players.

but perhaps that didn't turn out to be as fun as previously expected. Never hurts to have content, rather than to not have it.

so maybe endgame Raid Dungeons could be something fun to the GW2 gameplay. Gives Guilds something to play together in PvE.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

If you just mean more than 5 people, there's no inherent problem anyone argued against except maybe that ArenaNet decided 5 people is what their dungeons were designed for and is how they should be run for optimal enjoyment maybe? So if they designed a dungeon where the combat system supports 15 or 25 people for optimal play and enjoyment, then that's fine.

What people never liked however, and championed against with GW2 is the idea of gear progression that has gone hand in hand with raiding in just about every MMO before. And gear progression is a big NO for GW2. It would absolutely hurt the core which is about accessibility to fun; many aspects of the game compliment this philosophy. 

So any part of this discussion about adding the carrot on a stick raid mentality and gameplay mechanic to GW2 is absolutely negative and will hurt the game.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

GW2 is unique it doesnt need endgame, WoW is for endgame carrot on a stick endgame and it has no place for it in GW2.

Also i think WvW needs to reward a little more then abit of karma a few cosmetic brag items woulnt hurt it i think.
    But pve was never the main focus of Anet and altough they have one of the hardest dungeons ingame out of any mmo i ever played it is just not made for that platform.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Counter question. How would you feel if all raiding from all games got removed?
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

Betrayed.

But since it won't happen, there's nothing to worry about.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

That sort of endgame is just as bad as no endgame, imho.  

Maybe even worse, because it takes players out of the open MMO gameworld.  Which is a big enough problem with GW2 as it is.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Betrayed.

But since it won't happen, there's nothing to worry about.

Exactly like that!

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I think it would be great!  I think more choices are a good thing ... so long as it doesn't make other content less valuable to do.  As long as it's a equal and viable option for guilds - yes, guilds - which desperately need more to do than PvP.

P.S. I'm laughing because when I saw the title I thought, "I bet MMOExposed started this thread."  Dude knows how to name a thread and get me to click it :D

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Let me take a page out of: "You don't have to participate" playbook.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I think no gear grind is what was hyped, not that all dungeons are for five people. GW1 had dungeons for larger groups, too, and they worked quite well.

If these dungeons didn't give better rewards, I would probably like them, but not "love them". More variety in content is always good. I think your poll lacks less extreme options. There's a good reason why polls like this usually use a 1-5 scale.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    as long as it has no gear/stat progression, i wouldn't mind.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Counter question. How would you feel if all raiding from all games got removed?

bored.  leaving MMOs (including GW2) with no content for more than 1 group of players at a time would be a gross waste of the MMO potential.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Nitth

Let me take a page out of: "if you want raids why don't you go play an MMO that has raids in its core design?" playbook.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Can I take a page out of : "They shouldn't waste valuable development time on something i don't like" playbook?

Or the : "theres plenty of games out there with raiding, why does everything have to be like....."  playbook?

Just using sarcasm at the question, not meaning to offend at all image

Its just that this "type" of question has been asked of so many different MMOs over the years, that the responses are very typical

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Jeleena

Let me take a page out of: "if you want raids why don't you go play an MMO that has raids in its core design?" playbook.

I agree. Why on Earth start GW2 if you want a raid game? Seems churlish to demand it now when it's model wasn't at all hidden.

I personally don't see the difference of grinding raids at 'end game' or grinding 5 mans at 'end game'... except that in a 5 man you are probably not gonna be a spectator watching the guild elite have all the fun.

Raids are not amongst GW2's issues imo. Only a minority even give a shit about them in reality.

• geremadygeremady Member UncommonPosts: 73

I do not think it would make a difference unless they change the rewardsystem in the game - and they most likely never will.

The people who like GW2-endgame as is wil have no problem with bigger groups for dungeons; they either will play them or not but it will not change the game.

For the people who get bored fast with GW2-endgame - they will get bored just as quickly with <raids> or what you wanna call them.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    :scratches self:  Another poll that assumes I would care.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Vhaln

That sort of endgame is just as bad as no endgame, imho.  

Maybe even worse, because it takes players out of the open MMO gameworld.  Which is a big enough problem with GW2 as it is.

Agreed. Raiding is basically dungeon crawling but with than 5 people. It wouldn't be a problem as long as it didn«t offer tier based gear and kept rewards cosmetics only.

However, as Vhaln pointed out, rading, IMO, is a poor excuse for endgame. People are tiered of running normal dungeons for teh current rewards. Can you imagine if raiding was added?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I would be ok with it as long as it wouldn't be mandatory to participate in it. |So no better gear etc. But some exclusive armour or something would be ok imo.
  • NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

they would be better off adding sandbox stuff, stuff do outside of fighting and running dungeons/pvp

Rift and LoTRO are doing this as is EQ2 and it's one the reasons they have a tight knit community and are still going strong

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

would you be happy or unhappy about such a change?

Well I do remember the game GW2 getting a lot of positive hype for not having Raid Dungeons, or any Instanced group content larger than 5 players.

but perhaps that didn't turn out to be as fun as previously expected. Never hurts to have content, rather than to not have it.

so maybe endgame Raid Dungeons could be something fun to the GW2 gameplay. Gives Guilds something to play together in PvE.

[mod edit]. GW2 is doing fine without these things and it will continue to do so. I'm sure they are in the process of working on new things for the game.

Try not to speculate on wether or not the game is fun or not when you honestly are not even sure yourself. There are a ton of people having a blast playing it. Honestly, it does not even sound like you have even played it. [mod edit]

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mothanos

GW2 is unique it doesnt need endgame, WoW is for endgame carrot on a stick endgame and it has no place for it in GW2.

Exactly.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I will, regardless of the direction, move on from this MMO when I'm done.  Like I always do.  It's not a marriage, it's a game.    And dropping some cheesy raids (like ALL 'raid end-game MMOs') won't change it for me.   Raids suck and will always suck as a game mechanic.  They're just lousy dances filled with idiotic specials and once you've solved the puzzle, they're tedious jokes.

As for GW2, I've had a great time so far.   I've had the normal habituation and play less GW2 and play more of my other games even though I still love to play GW2.   Which is normal.  

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

None of the poll asnwers represent my thoughts.

I'd say it'd be a good move, and might make me try the game again, but with the current "no trinity" ideology, I'm not sure I'd enjoy it.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I chose the second option, however my stance is more along the lines of:

Sure I dont care, as long as the gear isnt any better than what is available via other playstyles.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Betrayed