Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 ' s Sales

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    rofl @5 mil sales claim. will wait for anets confermation to trust those numbers.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

The world will now be able to sleep at night due to all this useful information that we have learned and have shared with our fellow mmorpgbbq people.

Silly people are just silly.

• Orange_ZOrange_Z Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Games are probably cheaper in Korea, so comparing the two like this is very far from accurate.

Most games in Korea. Even sub ones does not have client sale.  Just pay sub without box.  Subscription on the other hand can be more expensive than in USA and cost around 20$ per month.

Originally posted by Orange_Z

Here we can see that GW2 topped even the Blade and Soul ! If you dont know They sold 5million copies of BnS

Provide link to source that B&S sold 5 million game copies.

I can give you just Russian link ) If you can understand anything : 

http://forum.blade-and-soul.ru/index.php/topic/4012-bns-100-days-overview/

That's why I wanted a link from you. 

Blade & Soul does not have client sale. You get client for free and you just have to pay subsciption.

So they have not sold 4,5 mln copies.  Because they are not selling copies.  They had 4,5 millions of accounts created.

So your comparision is wrong from the start.

Oh, may be you're right ) I'm not sure, but ... What about time cards ? I dk but some American sites sales it for 25dollars, and the game was launched 4 months ago. Just I can't understand - is accounts free or isn't, couse sites sales it too (about 20 dollars). May be you're right, we'll see ) 

So, I tryed to listen you )) 

• RazzmatazzzRazzmatazzz Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I think OP cannot read the chart.

This is old news and discussed already.

GW2 sales are 45.841M KRW. 1 KRW = 0.000920048 USD

About 42M USD, which makes 700k units of GW2 at 60USD per unit.

You know that game companies only get about 10 to 20 Dollars from those 60 your were mentioning. So if we would say that NC soft gets about 15 Dollars per sold box that means they probably sold around 3 million units so far. 

We dont know for sure if this graph also includes ingame store revenue so if we also take this in account i would give it a wild guess and say that they sold around 2.5 million copies of the game and the rest is digital sales.

2.5 to 3 million seems also much more realistic since Anet allready announced over a month ago that they have reached the milestone of 2 million copies.

Of cours my numbers are at the end only speculations (as all of our guesses are)  but if u take Anets official statement plus these recent sales figures in account 2 to 3 million seem much more legit than 700 000 or 5 millon.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by moguy2

The world will now be able to sleep at night due to all this useful information that we have learned and have shared with our fellow mmorpgbbq people.

Silly people are just silly.

Yes MMO information on an MMO related website. How silly can poeple be :/

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Games are probably cheaper in Korea, so comparing the two like this is very far from accurate.

Most games in Korea. Even sub ones does not have client sale.  Just pay sub without box.  Subscription on the other hand can be more expensive than in USA and cost around 20$ per month.

Here we can see that GW2 topped even the Blade and Soul ! If you dont know They sold 5million copies of BnS

Provide link to source that B&S sold 5 million game copies.

I can give you just Russian link ) If you can understand anything : 

http://forum.blade-and-soul.ru/index.php/topic/4012-bns-100-days-overview/

That's why I wanted a link from you. 

Blade & Soul does not have client sale. You get client for free and you just have to pay subsciption.

So they have not sold 4,5 mln copies.  Because they are not selling copies.  They had 4,5 millions of accounts created.

So your comparision is wrong from the start.

Oh, may be you're right ) I'm not sure, but ... What about time cards ? I dk but some American sites sales it for 25dollars, and the game was launched 4 months ago. Just I can't understand - is accounts free or isn't, couse sites sales it too (about 20 dollars). May be you're right, we'll see ) 

So, I tryed to listen you )) 

You download client for free. So there is no buying game like it is in GW2 or WoW.   But you need to pay subscription to play. So that's why there are time cards.  They are sold for 25$ in western shops because in order to play Korean Blade & Soul and buy suscription 'officially' you need to live in Korea and have Korean Cell Phone number to validiate. 

So those shops sell Blade & Soul accounts for westerners for 10-20$ because westerners cannot make them by themself.  So people in Korea made free account and validiate them with their Korean Cell Phones and resell to those westerners who want to play korean B&S.  If you have friend, family or someone in Korea that will make account for you then you can get it for free.

Also korean time cards are sold by those 3rd party sites for ~25$ when official Korean price is more close to 20$ because westerners cannot buy it themself in Korea and those 3rd party sites are not charities. They have to earn money somehow right?  They cannot buy for 20$ and sell for 20$ :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    xfire rankings (the only way to accurately measure the success of an MMO). 

/facepalm

People say things like this purely to start fights, right?

Oh look, we're off and running on a brand new "my game sold more neener" "did not" "did so" "did not"

Must be Saturday.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Here we can see that GW2 topped even the Blade and Soul ! If you dont know They sold 5million copies of BnS and the game is more popular in Korea, than WoW. 

How did they manage to make so little money from Blade & Soul?

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), it has no upfront fee but a 23,000 KRW monthly sub.

32,662m KRW = approx. 1.4 million player/months at 23,000 KRW per month.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    And yet GW2 is about to drop below D3 in xfire rankings (the only way to accurately measure the success of an MMO). 

Except it didn't drop below D3, a game that sold over 10 million copies.

XFire numbers again need to be read carefully and not only in number of hours played.

And of course WoW numbers, a game that boasts 9 million subscribers, after 1 month of MoP is around the same number of hours and players GW2 was after 1 month.

So if WoW boasts 3 million players in the west and GW2 has 70% of its numbers in XFire does that mean GW2 has around 2.1 million players?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    I'd want to play Lineage 1 again, but I can't play on korean servers, I've played L1 for more than 5 years until NA servers went down. I haven't seen actual MMOs since L1, I hope that Lineage Eternal brings all the glory of L1 back.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    And yet GW2 is about to drop below D3 in xfire rankings (the only way to accurately measure the success of an MMO). 

XFire numbers again need to be read carefully and not only in number of hours played.

And of course WoW numbers, a game that boats 9 million subscribers, after 1 month of MoP is around the same number of hours and players GW2 was after 1 month.

So if WoW boasts 3 million players in the west and GW2 has 70% of its numbers in XFire does that mean GW2 has around 2.1 million players?

/headdesk

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    LOL, just no. If the sold even more than 3 million, they'd have announced it. Do you honestly think this kind off positive news, specialy sice it blew MOP's sales away, would be kept in the dark? Now over 5 million? 

Yeah the 5 million is a figure some over excited fan has pull out of his backside in this thread, no proof or source to even back up his claim. Nope, using BnS is not proof or a source lol, ArenaNet would be singing all over the place if that 5 million figure pulled out of some fans backside was remotely true.

Of course it's better to blame somebody than just find something in Google ... 

All you have to do is show me a link from ArenaNet or NCSoft that  says GW2 has sold 5 million copies, it should not be to hard if what you say is true.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Here we can see that GW2 topped even the Blade and Soul ! If you dont know They sold 5million copies of BnS and the game is more popular in Korea, than WoW. 

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), it has no upfront fee but a 23,000 KRW monthly sub.

Over 1 million subs / month is small?  Remember Korea has "only" 50 million people.

Mmorpg's released in USA which is 314 millions + Canada which is 34 million + EU which countries do have total of over 450 million +  WITHOUT needing to verify you're from those countries (in Korean games you need KSSN or Korean Cell Phone Number) so if you're non from those counties you can play too, like from Australia, New Zelland, Russia, South America. 

Still no mmoprg except WoW in west was able to hold more than 0,5 million subs for more than few months after release and no western mmorpg except WoW & Swtor had more than 1 million subs ever being released in counties with total of 700-800 millions of people, sometimes even more.

So little money? What are you even talking about?

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Oh god (Facepalm) ! Really, your xFire is just nothing. Not everyone has its client (me, for example) so it doesnt show popularity of the game, it shows just popularity among xFire's players. But sales is the only one right way to see right numbers and make right readouts

Got that right.  xFire numbers means nothing except for those that actually use it.  It aint the end all be all that some like to make it out to be.

Blade and Soul was very expensive - it costs about 50.000.000.000KRW , so I really think that this numbers is just profit without money for developing and publishing. If not - It's unprofitable project. But I can't believe in it 
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Latronus

Oh god (Facepalm) ! Really, your xFire is just nothing. Not everyone has its client (me, for example) so it doesnt show popularity of the game, it shows just popularity among xFire's players. But sales is the only one right way to see right numbers and make right readouts

Got that right.  xFire numbers means nothing except for those that actually use it.  It aint the end all be all that some like to make it out to be.

Your remark is as absolutely ridiculous as someone who says xFire is the end all be all.

Blade and Soul was very expensive - it costs about 50.000.000.000KRW , so I really think that this numbers is just profit without money for developing and publishing. If not - It's unpofitable project. But I can't believe in it 

If you don't believe me (I know you don't) look here :

http://bns.gameguyz.com/news/news/ncsoft-works-with-amd-to-develop-new-graphics-card-for-blade-and-soul.html

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    wonder how many of that number are from bots and farmers. And GW2 is not the most popular game of the 2012 most of the people but gw fan, stopped playing the game after the 1st month.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Can anyone see the error in the maths here?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

And of course WoW numbers, a game that boats 9 million subscribers, after 1 month of MoP is around the same number of hours and players GW2 was after 1 month.

/headdesk

Hey no need to headdesk.

It is just a pitty people don't understand that XFire is not a valid sample of the Gaming population which allow for every type of claims, like the ones I posted, which would be accurate if XFire was a valid sample.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Over 1 million subs / month is small?  Remember Korea has "only" 50 million people.

Well to nip a little at Blade and Soul, it did sell to both Korea AND China so it had 2 markets, though at the same time we can also point out Gw2 also had a far larger potential customer base as it is sold to a larger amount of countries then Blade and Soul currently has. 

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    B&S will end up being more profitable than GW2, at least in east because it is P2P there, like L1, L2 and Aion all of them are P2P + cash shop in Asia. It's obvious that they will generate more profits than Gw2 that doesn't have month fee.
  • ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Well to nip a little at Blade and Soul, it did sell to both Korea AND China so it had 2 markets, though at the same time we can also point out Gw2 also had a far larger potential customer base as it is sold to a larger amount of countries then Blade and Soul currently has. 

The question is what is the difference in market between the 2 areas. You can have more potential customers yet still have a smaller market.

• RazzmatazzzRazzmatazzz Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Razzmatazzz

You know that game companies only get about 10 to 20 Dollars from those 60 your were mentioning. So if we would say that NC soft gets about 15 Dollars per sold box that means they probably sold around 3 million units so far. 

We dont know for sure if this graph also includes ingame store revenue so if we also take this in account i would give it a wild guess and say that they sold around 2.5 million copies of the game and the rest is digital sales.

2.5 to 3 million seems also much more realistic since Anet allready announced over a month ago that they have reached the milestone of 2 million copies.

Of cours my numbers are at the end only speculations (as all of our guesses are)  but if u take Anets official statement plus these recent sales figures in account 2 to 3 million seem much more legit than 700 000 or 5 millon.

@Calerxes ;

Sadly a lot of people dont know how much revenue a company makes per box sale!

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Hi Guys ! 

Recently NcSoft published a very interesting information about global sales for 3Q 2012. 

Then we can look at European Charts, where GW2 is 3d in "PC games". For example, World of WarCraft is just 6th. 

So, really, guys, I want to say that GW2 is the most popular game of 2012 and sold more than 5million copies. What do you think about it ?)

Here's official information http://bns.plaync.com/letter/article/2395978

If they only made 45 million dollars on 5 million sales, they have the worst deal with the wholesalers/retailers in the history of worst deals.

This discussion has been closed.