Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main reason why SWTOR flopped?

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by just1opinion

There were too many things to choose just one.  Overall, the combination of those things caused me to burn out quickly and lose my will to log in.

I can't help but think that if SWTOR had been more like SWG (pre-NGE) and less like WoW it would have been more successful. Still....I enjoyed the game for the brief time I played it and don't regret buying it.  Live and learn, I say. :)

Even if it was like the NGE, it still would have been better.

The final years were pretty good, and its only short comings was the 9 iconic professions instead of the customisable 32, and the lag and bugs from the many changes which could only be fixed if written from the ground up.

It still had its crafting intact mostly, and space was virtually the same. There was plenty more content and stuff to do in game in the end, and you still could do your own thing.

Near the end I think NGE was just as good as pre-NGE in their own ways, as NGE had loads of things that pre-NGE did not, and pre-NGE had things that NGE did not get back. I would only play pre-NGE version again as long as it had the content that came since NGE and have the game mechanics of pre-NGE, but then some of the content probably would not have worked with pre-NGE mechanics. The NGE in 2005 was atrocious though, and a lot of people never  gave it a second look after that. In the end SOE did a fantastic job rebuilding it over the years, with their very low staffed dev team, and churned out more content in the first half of 2011 (the 2nd half was devoted to its closure) than SWTOR has had since it launched

I thought SWTOR was going to be like the NGE than pre-NGE, from the limited number of professions, and it being said was like WOW, but written from the ground up, and being more polished than the NGE, but nah, it is like WOW but more restrictive. SWTOR makes WOW look like a sandbox!

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I chose Space Game, why would star wars have a space game that was a mini game?  It should have been something that put even JTL to shame!.  Yes the game was a bit to much on rails and would have benefited from a more open world ala SWG, it would have been fun to control a speeder
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by just1opinion

There were too many things to choose just one.  Overall, the combination of those things caused me to burn out quickly and lose my will to log in.

I can't help but think that if SWTOR had been more like SWG (pre-NGE) and less like WoW it would have been more successful. Still....I enjoyed the game for the brief time I played it and don't regret buying it.  Live and learn, I say. :)

You are one of many people who say this, but the fact is that SWG was a failure so Sony instituted changes which kept the game afloat for awhile but was still a failure

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    in my opinion, the only thing that the OP really left out was, an 'all of the above' option image
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360

the main story while cool , was just a solo-player mode until max lvl , the lack of a good LFG sucked.

endgame wise , was meh , illum failed as pvp zone

the dungeons were boring ,tanking wasnt very fun , and dpsing was even worse

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Swtor flopped? it has around 500k subs which would put it at the 2nd most subbed game right now I belive?

I agree it could have been better though.

I think the reason it didn't do as good as people hoped is because the mmorpg fanbase really doesn't know what it wants.

They want WoW with no grind and lots of content.  Bioware tried to do that but that caused people to get to cap and find no content. This game needed that grind.

WoW had no content in the begining but nobody cared because 90% of the people playing didn't hit lvl cap for 3-6 months. How stupid are we if we expect another company to do something even Blizzard could never do?

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    gameplay sux; hated my companion and no way of killing it properly

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Xirik

it has around 500k subs which would put it at the 2nd most subbed game right now I belive?

I think there is a lot less than that now. Past level 15 (from the free trial) there are not many people playing at all

It may have had slight surge in the last month due to F2P coming.

After F2P, they will still probably have a lot less than 500K subs (there could end up being millions playing but doubt there will be millions paying!), maybe even the equivalent of less subs than what they have now before F2P

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1226628p1.html

"SWTOR's free-to-play model is a victory for casual players; BioWare, not so much"

"It should be possible to reach 50 without spending much, if anything."

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Problem
    Originally posted by kb056
    Btw, the game was nothing else but a "money scam" from its very beginnings.
    Explain that crap to everyone please.

I can see it being a scam, i think sombody pocketed a few mill here and there because there is no way this crap game took 200+ mill to make.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Engine, graphics, linear gameplay, fail endgame. Endgame is probably the main reason it failed so hard.

imageimage
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Too much hand holding, lack of exploration, artwork did not fit right with the ip and the combat was average. Should of just made Kotor 3.
  • kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i like the game. Ill start there, The truth is the moment a game has a sub 90 pct of the gameing community goes up in arms and wont play it. So the truth is they went wrong not building it as a free 2 play game from the start. 

Thats the one big mistake the made , The game is alot of fun to play for me , Although even i think they could of keep cutscenes to the class story and jus thad pick up quests for rest, 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I said other, as none of those things listed I consider to be the "main reason" why SW:TOR failed for me. It just is not an MMO. It was more of a "SW:KotOR III" for me. Great single player game as one progressed through their storylines, but lacking so much to be a MMO.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Yeah, all of them and then some, but MAIN reason would be End Game - not enough to keep you playing once maxed.

SWG did not have space to begin with, but its open worlds / sandbox style, many customisable professions and crafting systems etc kept me busy until JTL came

That was my choice. I liked the game. Just didn't have much to do at top level that I was interested in.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    All of the above. Voted "other".

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

How about all of the above?

Also, EA was a reason for it flopping, not a reason why it should be a success. That company has killed of so many game franchises...

• joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163
    The main reason it flopped is because it's using current gen mmo gameplay and everyone and their mother is sick of it. The next thing that kills the game is that a Star Wars themed mmo is not very attractive to female gamers. And the last thing that killed it, is that there are similar games out there that are just as good (if not better) that don't require a monthly feel. In the end, it has nothing to do with the game itself. It's very high quality. The problem was there right at the time they decided to make it. It was just a bad decision.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

The main reason SWTOR flopped is because... it sucks. *Shrug*

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Latronus

It failed because too many people wanted it to be something it was never going to be. 

SWG fans wanted SWG2

KOTOR fans wanted KOTOR3

Eve/X-Wing fans wanted free roam space

RPers wanted, well they wanted to sit down in a chair, to swim, day/night cycles, houses, etc etc etc

A very vocal minority wanted SGRAs

Raiders wanted well, they wanted end game

PvPers wanted, well does it really matter because are they ever truly happy? 

WoW players wanted group finder/macros/add-ons/8 years of content at release 

The list goes on and on.  The game was doomed before it ever launched because no matter what EA/Bioware did or did not do, there was no way to satisfy a majority of the players with the direction they finally took the game...

You probaby notice that none of the possible target groups got what they wanted. They could have tried to satisfy at least *some* of them, right?

SWG fans are not happy, no sandbox, no housing, boxed in worlds.

Kotor fans are not happy, no minigames, no Pazzak, Swoop racing or Sabaacc. 

EvE/X-Wing fans are not happy, because space is a railshooter.

RPers are not happy, no chat bubbles, no chairs, no housing. No world immersion (day/night/Weather changes, more interactable fun stuff in the world and so on)

PvPers are not happy, no Ilum, only 4 warzones, no open world PvP

The only "happy" ones are the 1% raiders I guess, they got raids and dungeons and WoW type gear grind.

Top it off with mediocre graphics which are rather of the 2006-2007 era, and a very underperforming graphics engine.

How can anyone wonder why the game population loss is massive.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

wonder why in the list isnt the NO global chat.

seating in fleet all the time just to talk make the game so comunity unfrendly

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by defector1968

wonfer why in the list isnt the NO global chat.

seating in fleet all the time just to talk make the game so comunity unfrendly

YES!  Why did they never bring in a global chat?  Bugged the living crap out of me.

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110
    I felt like the game was TOO big. So many places you rarely encountered anyone. While it was nice to explore, I was bored quickly. It felt too much like WoW with too much questing and grinding. If the game was truly story driven, it wouldn't have me collecting shit all the time. 
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by warbot7777
    I felt like the game was TOO big. So many places you rarely encountered anyone. While it was nice to explore, I was bored quickly. It felt too much like WoW with too much questing and grinding. If the game was truly story driven, it wouldn't have me collecting shit all the time. 

Hahahaha, too big my arse, are you having a larf. It was so linear you couldn't explore anyway.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Scummyman
    Originally posted by warbot7777

Hahahaha, too big my arse, are you having a larf. It was so linear you couldn't explore anyway.

I find that comment also very odd. Too big? SWTOR was if anything too small, as you say.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Linear world and load screens will do it everytime.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"