Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has ANet announced any concrete plans to change endgame?

Comments

• pacov81pacov81 Member UncommonPosts: 24

• pacov81pacov81 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    No recent MMORPG, not even the mighty WoW, does come even remotely close (for now).

Rift

+1

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by pacov81

No recent MMORPG, not even the mighty WoW, does come even remotely close (for now).

Rift

+1

-1. it really doesnt. Rift's population numbers are pathetic, and that speaks for itself. im confident GW2 will reach WoW levels in one year. when the esports package is out, the game will explode. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I just want to know if they are happy with player retention and feedback on endgame.  That's not really too much to ask.

People saying they don't care about you after you buy the game aren't accurate in my opinion.  They care very much about teh gem sales and if their goal is to "beat  WOW", they need to worry about retaining players and selling expansions as well as gems.

Why don't you ask them on Reddit instead of making passive-aggressive troll threads?  

I don't go to Reddit and this is absolutely not a troll thread.  I just want to know if they think everything is good and if not what they want to change.  That's not a troll and isn't asking much. 

Others are derailing and explaining why they find endgame fun or lacking.  I don't really care about that and haven't complained about anything.  I asked a genuine question with the hope that they had actually addressed the present and future of their game.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by umie214

Rift

+1

-1. it really doesnt. Rift's population numbers are pathetic, and that speaks for itself. im confident GW2 will reach WoW levels in one year. when the esports package is out, the game will explode. 

I like GW2 as much as the next guy but if you can't see the major population drops since release....
    Originally posted by grimal

Rift

+1

I like GW2 as much as the next guy but if you can't see the major population drops since release....

There's really no debating that.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Here we go again...

If you like the game and want to keep playing it because you like the idea of cosmetic progression you can keep playing. 

If you expect character power progression at end game you picked the wrong game, because that is not likely to happen.

If you paid 60$ and enjoyed it for a little bit just be happy that you got a tremendous value for a 60$ game that would normally get you around 10-15 hours of play time like every other 60$ game. The bonus part about this being an MMO is that you can always come back later and check it out if you want to see the new content additions to the game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I just want to know if they are happy with player retention and feedback on endgame.  That's not really too much to ask.

People saying they don't care about you after you buy the game aren't accurate in my opinion.  They care very much about teh gem sales and if their goal is to "beat  WOW", they need to worry about retaining players and selling expansions as well as gems.

Why don't you ask them on Reddit instead of making passive-aggressive troll threads?  

I don't go to Reddit and this is absolutely not a troll thread.  I just want to know if they think everything is good and if not what they want to change.  That's not a troll and isn't asking much. 

Others are derailing and explaining why they find endgame fun or lacking.  I don't really care about that and haven't complained about anything.  I asked a genuine question with the hope that they had actually addressed the present and future of their game.

Anet has repeatedly talked about future updates and plans to change / fix certain aspects of the game. They have never talked about 'endgame' specifically, because the game has never been about that. If endgame, to you, means tiered gear grinds from raids, then no they have never mentioned implemented such a system, and it's highly unlikely they ever will.

However, they have talked about new dungeons, content; there's a free expansion coming out in a week. They've also talked about class changes, revamping the way pets work & how the ranger class in general works. They've been making changes to WvW, and continue to do so. They're adding more sPVP modes and features. More to the personal story, more recipes, etc. etc. etc. If you consider any of that endgame, then yes, it's being added.

Originally posted by aesperus

Anet has repeatedly talked about future updates and plans to change / fix certain aspects of the game. They have never talked about 'endgame' specifically, because the game has never been about that. If endgame, to you, means tiered gear grinds from raids, then no they have never mentioned implemented such a system, and it's highly unlikely they ever will.

However, they have talked about new dungeons, content; there's a free expansion coming out in a week. They've also talked about class changes, revamping the way pets work & how the ranger class in general works. They've been making changes to WvW, and continue to do so. They're adding more sPVP modes and features. More to the personal story, more recipes, etc. etc. etc. If you consider any of that endgame, then yes, it's being added.

I appreciate the response.

Class changes aren't endgame, it's just fine tuning gameplay mechanics.

There is definitely an "endgame" in GW2.  It entails what you do after you hit the level cap.  It entails sPVP, WvWvW, dungeons, crafting, exploration, story content and any other systems they may add to keep people playing. 

I just want to know if they are happy with the existing systems, player retention and feedback. 

Does the current system yield the player retention they want? 

Do they think there is adequate fun/motivation/rewards for people participating in WvWvW, SPVP and dungeons? 

Are they rethinking any of their design decisions? 

Are they considering changes to the reward system?

From my point of view, their design sounded interesting and appealing to casual players like myself.  I bought the game untested based on their reputation, innovation and the fact that it was B2P.  It wasn't until I tried it for some time that I realized it has its own separate and different set of downsides.  I'm personally hoping for changes to the motivation/reward system, but that doesn't mean WOW style item tiers or epeen PVP rewards.

Some people read this as hating on GW2.  If I hated GW2 and didn't see potential, I'd just abandon it like many MMOs I've played.  If they say that everything is as they want, then I'll just move on.  My hope is that they'll communicate it one way or the other.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Class changes aren't endgame, it's just fine tuning gameplay mechanics.

I appreciate the response.  There is definitely an "endgame" in GW2.  It entails what you do after you hit the level cap.  It entails sPVP, WvWvW, dungeons, crafting, exploration, story content and any other systems they may add to keep people playing. 

I just want to know if they are happy with the existing systems, player retention and feedback. 

Does the current system yield the player retention they want? 

Do they think there is adequate fun/motivation/rewards for people participating in WvWvW, SPVP and dungeons? 

Are they rethinking any of their design decisions? 

Are they considering changes to the reward system?

From my point of view, their design sounded interesting and appealing to casual players like myself.  I bought the game untested based on their reputation, innovation and the fact that it was B2P.  It wasn't until I tried it for some time that I realized it has its own separate and different set of downsides.  I'm personally hoping for changes to the motivation/reward system, but that doesn't mean WOW style item tiers or epeen PVP rewards.

Some people read this as hating on GW2.  If I hated GW2 and didn't see potential, I'd just abandon it like many MMOs I've played.  If they say that everything is as they want, then I'll just move on.  My hope is that they'll communicate it one way or the other.

They will be adding stuff, that is for sure.

They have already increased rewards in many things and no doubt will keep doing that (just look at GW1 history).

Retention rate - I don't think Anet is really interested in having all the players playing every day, they aren't charging a sub fee after all. They know they will retain a core of players and the rest of the population will be attracted by special events and expansions, dropping some money in the CS or expansion box while at it. Again, just look at GW1 history.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

OP, you may have missed this, and it touches on end-game some.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/videos/play/2734/November-Content-Preview-with-Colin-Johanson.html

One big thing being added is a progressively more difficult dungeon.

Originally posted by pacov
    try getting a legendary... with the amount of grinding there is to make 1mil+ karma and probably around 1k gold you should be busy for months to come... and yes grinding is endgame, it always was no matter what game so this counts too.

That's the crux of the problem with GW2.  An insane grind to craft an item that is marginally better.

• motoratonmotoraton Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Mmm the end game in gw 2 is what u want to do , get legendarys? go, mmm dungeons to get amazing gear? go , mm pvp? go, open pvp? go WvWvW , mmm crafting? go, mm dynamic events? go, Mm is ur choose
  • GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by motoraton
    Mmm the end game in gw 2 is what u want to do , get legendarys? go, mmm dungeons to get amazing gear? go , mm pvp? go, open pvp? go WvWvW , mmm crafting? go, mm dynamic events? go, Mm is ur choose

Crafting as late game content? I'm not seeing it. I haven't played in a couple of weeks, but last time I checked, it's more profitable to sell the materials you've gathered than leveling up your crafting. You're better off mining orichalcum and running DEs if you need gold to buy your Exotics. With that said, If you've got a bit of gold to splash and you want to level a character as fast as possible, crafting is your best bet.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Why would they do that? I isn't P2P so there is no reason for them to care after the initial sales. They made millions and are happy. Gamers don't mean anything to them. Haven't they proved that already with GW2, easily the most dumbed down MMO ever!

Yeah, they showed that with constant updates and new events like The Mad King for halloween and The Lost Shores coming up this month...

They really don't care about people. /laugh

A good lesson of "think before posting" you gave here, Korent - I agree of course. They patch in more content than most MMORPGs (Mad King, then Cursed Shores, then Wintersday in December), yet some of the negative bashers still pretend they don't care after initial sales. Talk about a good way to make yourself look quite ridiculous.

Last time I saw a MMORPG patch in content that fast was in Asheron's Call, with their monthly patches. No recent MMORPG, not even the mighty WoW, does come even remotely close (for now).

You would do well to heed your own lesson because RIFT far outshines GW2 content patch speeds and has done since release.

TSW 4 patches in 4 months. Event, Weapons, Raid, Retical combat, Player generated theater. Trion is still top dog in that catagory, but Funcom is right behind them.

edit - nightmare dungeons, baber shop, cosmetic surgeon, clothes... geeez forgot about that stuff. TSW might even be keeping pace with RIFT's first 4 months. What was added in RIFT in the first 4? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Why would they do that? I isn't P2P so there is no reason for them to care after the initial sales. They made millions and are happy. Gamers don't mean anything to them. Haven't they proved that already with GW2, easily the most dumbed down MMO ever!

Yeah, they showed that with constant updates and new events like The Mad King for halloween and The Lost Shores coming up this month...

A good lesson of "think before posting" you gave here, Korent - I agree of course. They patch in more content than most MMORPGs (Mad King, then Cursed Shores, then Wintersday in December), yet some of the negative bashers still pretend they don't care after initial sales. Talk about a good way to make yourself look quite ridiculous.

Last time I saw a MMORPG patch in content that fast was in Asheron's Call, with their monthly patches. No recent MMORPG, not even the mighty WoW, does come even remotely close (for now).

You would do well to heed your own lesson because RIFT far outshines GW2 content patch speeds and has done since release.

So in 20 months what content has Trion given us?  Ember Isle a raid and a couple dungeons, a warfront and a pvp isntance that is off and on again and the most exploited pvp content yet.  The pace of release slowed way down after EI.  They do patch a lot and I love that, but they actually have not done more content than EQ2 in that same time.

Not only that but RIFT has shown me how P2W subscription games with paid xpacs really are.  If you don't pony up for Storm Legion you're totally left behind even though you pay the subscription.  They should just make it a mandatory tax every 20 months.  The forced upgrade really puts me off.  Up until the point they decided to charge extra for the xpac they delivered for the sub price. Now I  don't think so.

GW2 has an amazing amount of content for initial release.  Anyone of the several cities in GW2 is huge.  What do you get for cities and a world in Telara?  Meridian is the only decent city the game has and it's still tiny.

Nope that is not all. And if you don't know then well blame your own mis information. There is a reason why Trion is so respected and known as best developers when it comes to releasing content on regular basis. But hey this is GW2 forums. I don't expect fans to give credit whre credit is due.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by GN-003
    Originally posted by motoraton Mmm the end game in gw 2 is what u want to do , get legendarys? go, mmm dungeons to get amazing gear? go , mm pvp? go, open pvp? go WvWvW , mmm crafting? go, mm dynamic events? go, Mm is ur choose
    Crafting as late game content? I'm not seeing it. I haven't played in a couple of weeks, but last time I checked, it's more profitable to sell the materials you've gathered than leveling up your crafting. You're better off mining orichalcum and running DEs if you need gold to buy your Exotics. With that said, If you've got a bit of gold to splash and you want to level a character as fast as possible, crafting is your best bet.

You're assuming the point of the crafting is to make a profit.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    rift vs. gw2 is irrelevant. rift has been out for so long and it still blows. gw2 wipes the floor with it in every way. on nov 15., ANet will have released two major content patches. in addition to the best pvp on the market, we're getting the best deal on the MMO market. better than any f2p and p2p crap thats out there

Pretty much this.

Say no to the gear rat race for no-lifers.

Originally posted by Greyhooff

Pretty much this.

The GW2 slogan. 

What they are really saying is "say no to people who work harder than you being rewarded." 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    [mod edit]

UH, Mad King was only about 1 month after the games release. How did the Sub games do it? Please take your 'Negative Nancy' attitude and post somewhere else.

They did say the next dungeon will get harder as you prgress, so we shall see. That is coming on Nov. 15th - this week.

Originally posted by bcbully

Pretty much this.

The GW2 slogan. 

What they are really saying is "say no to people who work harder than you being rewarded." 

I play games for fun. I work to get paid so I can have fun. If a game is work, then I don't want to play it. But, some people feel the need to show off that they can grind more than others.I have tried and got tired of the gear tread mill.

Why can't there be a game for the rest of us, who don't like the gear treadmill. Why does it ALWAYS have to be about the rabid gamers? I, for one, am happy that A.Net thought about the rest of us.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    rift vs. gw2 is irrelevant. rift has been out for so long and it still blows. gw2 wipes the floor with it in every way. on nov 15., ANet will have released two major content patches. in addition to the best pvp on the market, we're getting the best deal on the MMO market. better than any f2p and p2p crap thats out there

Pretty much this.

¨best PvP on the market¨. Sry but thats only your point of view, what i found is one of the worse Spvp system of the last 10 years, and the casual PvP that in GW2 atm is one of the main reason about why people is just leaving the game.  And im not even talking about the WvWvW, even being a 3 faction battlefield, is far behind DAOC and Warhammer online RvR system. 

Originally posted by botrytis

Pretty much this.

The GW2 slogan. 

I play games for fun. I work to get paid so I can have fun. If a game is work, then I don't want to play it. But, some people feel the need to show off that they can grind more than others.I have tried and got tired of the gear tread mill.

Why can't there be a game for the rest of us, who don't like the gear treadmill. Why does it ALWAYS have to be about the rabid gamers? I, for one, am happy that A.Net thought about the rest of us.

Good for you. Now what's wrong with giving other something to work for? Why don't you want others to have something to work for? Would this effect your game play?

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

not unlike your guild wars 2 bretheren.  people dont mind paying a small fee each month to support the game they like.  some even prefer a flat fee than using a cash shop. 

Originally posted by botrytis

Pretty much this.

The GW2 slogan. 

Good for you. Now what's wrong with giving other something to work for? Why don't you want others to have something to work for? Would this effect your game play?

The honest answer is because you ALREADY have games that give that to you. A casual gamer does not. Why don't you want casual gamers to have a place? Most of the time gear grind and casual do not mix because the casual gamers end up being chased out or ridiculed by people who have nothing better than to grind for gear. I see no situation where this would change.