Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has ANet announced any concrete plans to change endgame?

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The biggest problem with WvW is the lack of rivalry. This is caused by;
    No player names
    No guild based livery on occupied territory
    Easy swapping around servers
    Swapping the matchings around too much and as a matter of course, rather than having it as an emergency measure.

Having good enemies is as important as having good friends to sustain pvp enjoyment over the long term.

They need to sort this out before ps2 and TESO launch as their devs get this.

Sorry but that is far from the biggest problem. Apart from exploits the biggest problem is population imbalance during the off hours giving the side with the largest force a near overtakeable lead. The other sides might be better during peak hours, but morale will always be lower when you are way behind after 1 night. It only gets worse as the week goes by.

Anet said WvW is a 24/7 battlefield, but by making the servers continent bound they forgot that you don't actually get a 24/7 battleground unless you have off hour players in equal numbers on all servers. They should have made the Homeservers global and kept the PvE side Continent bound.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    No player names
    Swapping the matchings around too much and as a matter of course, rather than having it as an emergency measure.

Having good enemies is as important as having good friends to sustain pvp enjoyment over the long term.

Sorry but that is far from the biggest problem. Apart from exploits the biggest problem is population imbalance during the off hours giving the side with the largest force a near overtakeable lead. The other sides might be better during peak hours, but morale will always be lower when you are way behind after 1 night. It only gets worse as the week goes by.

Anet said WvW is a 24/7 battlefield, but by making the servers continent bound they forgot that you don't actually get a 24/7 battleground unless you have off hour players in equal numbers on all servers. They should have made the Homeservers global and kept the PvE side Continent bound.

you do realize that DAOC had off hours relic raids on a weekly basis right? Also most aussies still played with american servers since there wasnt really offical oceanics back in the day? So why exactly is this a issue? 24.7 means 24.7 for whoever is on the shards not just people in the americas. What he brought up is what most of us do agree on other than the few remaining world vs world players who still glorify this world vs world system like its so great when its by far 5 steps in the wrong direction compared to even warhammer online.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu
    WvW is great, get into a well organised group (or better good WvW-guild) and it is lots of fun.

It's not great compared to other RvR games like DAoC. Its great compared to bad PvP in WoW and such, sure.

It's horribly underdeveloped, and in many ways, broken at its very core.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Why would they do that? I isn't P2P so there is no reason for them to care after the initial sales. They made millions and are happy. Gamers don't mean anything to them. Haven't they proved that already with GW2, easily the most dumbed down MMO ever!

Yeah, they showed that with constant updates and new events like The Mad King for halloween and The Lost Shores coming up this month...

They really don't care about people. /laugh

A good lesson of "think before posting" you gave here, Korent - I agree of course. They patch in more content than most MMORPGs (Mad King, then Cursed Shores, then Wintersday in December), yet some of the negative bashers still pretend they don't care after initial sales. Talk about a good way to make yourself look quite ridiculous.

Last time I saw a MMORPG patch in content that fast was in Asheron's Call, with their monthly patches. No recent MMORPG, not even the mighty WoW, does come even remotely close (for now).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    No player names

you do realize that DAOC had off hours relic raids on a weekly basis right? Also most aussies still played with american servers since there wasnt really offical oceanics back in the day? So why exactly is this a issue? 24.7 means 24.7 for whoever is on the shards not just people in the americas. What he brought up is what most of us do agree on other than the few remaining world vs world players who still glorify this world vs world system like its so great when its by far 5 steps in the wrong direction compared to even warhammer online.

Sorry but I think you are projecting what you want onto what the majority wants. People have been complaining pretty much since they went to a weekly format about the offpeak hours. Furthermore this isn't only on the american servers it's on all and if you'd bothered to look into it you'd have known that. Most of us that have followed this agree on this other than the few remaining players that only pine for Daoc but can't be arsed to play it.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    No recent MMORPG, not even the mighty WoW, does come even remotely close (for now).
    Rift
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Why would they do that? I isn't P2P so there is no reason for them to care after the initial sales. They made millions and are happy. Gamers don't mean anything to them. Haven't they proved that already with GW2, easily the most dumbed down MMO ever!

Yeah, they showed that with constant updates and new events like The Mad King for halloween and The Lost Shores coming up this month...

A good lesson of "think before posting" you gave here, Korent - I agree of course. They patch in more content than most MMORPGs (Mad King, then Cursed Shores, then Wintersday in December), yet some of the negative bashers still pretend they don't care after initial sales. Talk about a good way to make yourself look quite ridiculous.

Last time I saw a MMORPG patch in content that fast was in Asheron's Call, with their monthly patches. No recent MMORPG, not even the mighty WoW, does come even remotely close (for now).

Rift.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

No recent MMORPG, not even the mighty WoW, does come even remotely close (for now).

Rift

Possible, I didn't stay long in that game - very boring and linear. Good, so there's one subscription game which does that too (I trust you're telling the truth here). My point in my previous post remains anyway. The "zomg GW2 is F2P so they don't care after initial sales" crap posted by some... "experts" is total nonsense.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Orange_ZOrange_Z Member Posts: 31
    I hope they will make some PvE zone like WwWwW. It will be veryyyy interesting ) World bosses and may be (i want it so much) raids. But, really, I dont think they'll make it ...
  • BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    If you want Arenanet to put gear threadmill into the game, then no thanks! One of the reasons I play GW2 is cosmetic end-game. We knew what kind of end-game GW2 will have since forever. End-game is not broken, it is different.

This.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    [mod edit]

This.

You get what you pay for in life, with GW2 you pay for fun. Fact is you are supposed to make one alt of every class and hopefully by then you will get an expansion. One of the things i liked about the recent TESO vid is the devs comment of "the game opens up at level 50".

Yeah i know GW2 is about the journey but so is Vanguard but the differance is the  journey continues after you reach level 55.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Grab on to your seat because this one just might send you flying across the room - maybe they want you to stick around, spend some dosh in the BLTC and buy expansions when they release them. Not to mention that building a rapport with your player base in this day and age is vital, especially when you don't employ a subscription fee.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Guild Wars 2 has a few end game problems to address. Endgame PvE definitely needs a boost and is getting a dungeon with lost shores that gives better rewards the deeper you go, similar to something in browser games. 

End game pvp needs a few more modes. The current choice between tournament and hot join just doesn't feel like it's finished enough.

Lion's Arch has become a good meeting place but guild halls would be really really nice. It just doesn't feel like there's enough from GW1 yet.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Rift

Possible, I didn't stay long in that game - very boring and linear. Good, so there's one subscription game which does that too (I trust you're telling the truth here). My point in my previous post remains anyway. The "zomg GW2 is F2P so they don't care after initial sales" crap posted by some... "experts" is total nonsense.

Rift does.  But it's still another boring 'end game' MMO that I quit in a month.     

Actually, when I look at my MMO playing...   And the ones that lasted...   I've never made it more than a couple of months where this idiotic 'end game raiding' thing was the primary retention mechanism.   Rift, WoW, STO, DCUO, SWTOR...   Good for a month, or less, and I'm out the door...

OTOH, until I started raiding in LOTRO I'd loved it.   End up playing it for just over two years solid of which I raided for 6 months...   Though the last month, everyone was so sick and tired of raiding that only three of us would show up on raid night...   Not even the guild leader or her husband...

I figure if I want to do the same stupid stuff EVERY DAY so I can do the same stupid raid every week...   I'd play Tetris...   Or maybe buy a Wii....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

You would do well to heed your own lesson because RIFT far outshines GW2 content patch speeds and has done since release.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by muffins89

Rift.

Yes.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I've read something about them wanting to make dungeons more fun. 

Have they made any statements about feeling endgame is broken or lacking in any way?  I'm hoping they'll do something like blizzard did when they admitted that D3 endgame was borked and that they were focusing on ways to improve that games endgame.

Both games have amazing foundations to become something special in their genre.  I'm just hoping that ANet will communicate what they feel to be problems with GW2.

its not broken so they dont have to fix it.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by ChrisReitz

Have they made any statements about feeling endgame is broken or lacking in any way?  I'm hoping they'll do something like blizzard did when they admitted that D3 endgame was borked and that they were focusing on ways to improve that games endgame.

Both games have amazing foundations to become something special in their genre.  I'm just hoping that ANet will communicate what they feel to be problems with GW2.

its not broken so they dont have to fix it.

Doesn't mean they can't make it better.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

and how they fixed endgame in d3?

it is still boring grind for better gear

only thing they are doing is to nerf inferno difficulty so lemmings can finish it

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

probably they will nerf the mobs in dungeons because some players just want to stand still and spam ability #1

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Nah I don't think they changed it for some people yet, Frodo.

I hope they keep expanding on what they are doing now. 2 months so far, pretty good from what [I] am seeeing, though see what messes me up this is my first MMO that I enjoy, kind of like when people said "Yea my first max character in an MMO was in EQ." Well yea my first maxed out character in an MMORPG is, well GW2, so I didn't witness how Endgame was in all these successful MMOs in the past....yeaaaaa.

Regarding WvW: Is DAOC still running? And can I test their RVR some how?

Satisfied with WvW(so are my friends that don't normally play MMOs as well). Maybe by playing, DAOC myself I could be like "Okay they should use this from that to make it's long term even more long term."

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    try getting a legendary... with the amount of grinding there is to make 1mil+ karma and probably around 1k gold you should be busy for months to come... and yes grinding is endgame, it always was no matter what game so this counts too.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    rift vs. gw2 is irrelevant. rift has been out for so long and it still blows. gw2 wipes the floor with it in every way. on nov 15., ANet will have released two major content patches. in addition to the best pvp on the market, we're getting the best deal on the MMO market. better than any f2p and p2p crap thats out there
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    No player names

That, and there's no realm rank advancement system, no big meta objective to fight for (relics) and no Darkness Falls.

GW2 totally dropped the ball on meaningful PvP.

You totally missed the point of WvW. It was never intented to be "meaningful", its there as a casual form of PvP. If you want "meaningful" pvp, the tournaments are there for that specific reason.

Originally posted by cronius77
    one avenue for endgame is world vs world and that is broken and boring also unless you like to zerge . I would return myself if they added in world vs world progression that rewards good players vs bad zergers and sheep that run with the zerge. A realm point system like DAOC would make end game pvp much more fun but anyone who mentions it gets attacked by the casual crowd spewing off power gaps because you can play more than me etc.  I to wish end game had more fun to it other than grinding cosmetics but world vs world just sucks and spvp , i think League of Legions has better spvp with their dota style.
    Please, dont bother compare the EZ mode pvp that is LoL with GW2. Also, saying things like WvW is boring unless you like to zerg is completely false, its quite the contrary. Zerg are usually form with PuGs and noobs, who can be crushed easily when you have a good coordinated group. Adding RR like DOAC would be pointless, I don't give a rat ass seeing some numbers next to my name that doesn't mean crap. Progression is a plague and if you like it so much, there's a WHOLE bunch of MMO's out there to please your progression taste. GW2 doesn't need any progression whatsoever.