Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] TERA: Five Things TERA Got Right

124»

Comments

• kingsatanaskingsatanas Member Posts: 31

6. content ; nothing grind and enchant repeat

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Things Tera got wrong: They censored a game they were NOT REQUIRED to censor. They hired Brian Knox. Censored forums and allowed harassment of Elin players.
  • pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    tera combat > all. Never enjoyed a fight like in tera
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

First its a themepark game..that turned me away from trying it out. Second the characters look like the typical Asian games..cutesie and childlike. I like my characters to look tough and battleworn. Just not my type of mmo.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by NBlitz

I felt as if TERA was supposed to be my new home. It has the look I want in an MMO. The combat. The gear. My goodness the gear. The seamless world. Sigh...

Mhmmm... the gear...

imageimageimage

Dat gear.

• HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119
    The publisher of this article is very right. I'm just here sitting and waiting for the game to be 'polished' a bit more. It has great potential and I still feel as if it is in a sort of Alpha/Beta stage.
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The questing was just so, so bad... but beyond that I actually really liked the time I spent with the game. Might look into the free-to-28 deal they're offering.

#2 behind combat, i'd put "Quests are optional for the most part".

which seems to be a very rare thing in modern MMOs.

all i did was the Orange/Story quests, and mostly ignored the rest.   i just killed whatever monsters i liked fighting the best to make up the small amount needed for the next level (Orange/Story quests alone are close to getting thru levels).

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by Deleted User
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The questing was just so, so bad... but beyond that I actually really liked the time I spent with the game. Might look into the free-to-28 deal they're offering.

I'd give it a shot if it went F2P and got rid of the quests and just featured grinding as the leveling technique.  Also they would have to do away with the self rooting animations.  Yes I know it makes it authenticate and realistic, doen't mean I like it.  If its a balancing issue why not balance another way and leave the combat which would be "very" enjoyable if it didn't have this feature?

you get a decent amount of exp for monster kills regardless of whether they are part of a quest or not.  

so you CAN easily ignore almost all quests, altho i'd suggest doing the story quests.  that ends up being fairly minimal.

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by JimmyYO
    The problem with Tera is it didn't feel like an MMO at all. it felt like you were playing Diablo with a different camera angle.

wrong.  Diablo is not populated with swarms of real players pretty much everywhere you go like Tera was.

Corpus Callosum    

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Betakodo
    Things Tera got wrong: They censored a game they were NOT REQUIRED to censor. They hired Brian Knox. Censored forums and allowed harassment of Elin players.

Totally disagree. I don't even want to think about the absolute HYSTERIA, certain "Concerned Citizen" groups would have gone in to over the original. There are always grandstanding politicians ready to pander to such hysterics.

Its just not worth the bad PR and trouble that would have resulted.  Anyone who hasn't had to deal with these nut cases, doesn't know how bad it can get. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    I never heard they censored the game, what did they do to censor it?
  • BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Game is dead let's move on already, merged servers to one of each type lol. Pretty sad. While it may be vibrant for a while the population will dwindle. Enmasse is milking it for all it is worth.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I admit - TERA lost me after 1 single hour of play.

They start me at level 20, make me waste an hour of my time learning how to play, then shove me back to level 1 without any of the skills I just spent time trying to figure out and nothing to show for it. In fact, I lost 19 levels. 

Isn't that the opposite of what's supposed to happen in an MMO? lol

Needless to say, couldn't pass faster. Worst free trial ever. 

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

1. Combat - very cool system.  I actually miss it.

2. Gear appearance.  At first it was odd to have my sorceress in a slinky minidress (instead of a robe or something more traditional looking) but ultimately - she looked damn good, and that's what really matters.  Playing GW2, I hate the way almost all armor looks in that game - it's dreadful.  Supervixenmodels launching fireballs in stilettos and thongs was pretty awesome by comparison.

Everything else about Tera was pretty much generic and/or bad.  The claim to fame of having the first race ideally suited to pedophiles isn't a very good distinction.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• h3llryuh3llryu Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I love this game, I find no problems with the quest or TERA being boring for me since I play with my brother and girlfriend. We all love everything about this game. No matter what people here say, there is ALWAYS a group of people talking on the general chat and willing to group up.

We are all puppets in a fancy show, the trick is to seize the ropes that bind us, and become the puppeteer image

• azyleazyle Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Wtf a tavern, why would you go in a taverne, dont loose your time in game, and go  in a real one.  Thats lame man.  Also, the lancer is a real tank, and yes, the 1st real tank in all mmo ive played.  indeed, There was the pally in L2.. but still, not as good as the Lancer ;)

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by h3llryu
    I love this game, I find no problems with the quest or TERA being boring for me since I play with my brother and girlfriend. We all love everything about this game. No matter what people here say, there is ALWAYS a group of people talking on the general chat and willing to group up.

It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be and I think it could survive on 3 servers if EME handles everything the right way. Key to enjoyment in TERA leveling IMO, is usually to level with some friends while outlaw, you can tackle all the BAM quests pretty easily and take short periods of time from the grind to fight random people you see.

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133

First of all im sorry if im offtopic.

When i heard about it first, that Tera goes free to play, i was like, dang i gotta play that.

Since i love the games that isn't just tab 123 repeat. So i went to the site and a sudden realisation occured to me, i noticed something i wanted to see the least, a Gameforge logo.

Since im an Aion player (which sold out to gameforge from Ncsoft) my first tought was :S.

But then i tought okay, let's see what would be my limitations as a completely free user.

After a few clicks i managed to get to a page that listed the things i was interested in.

It wasn't even a surprise, it was like seeing the aion F.A.Q about free/veteran/gold(paying customer).

So it made me sure. "boy... you don't want to play this"

The limitations of a completely free user are ridiculous just as in Aion which is. ->

The system is made on a way that if you join as a completely free user you can't step forward.

Because you are unable to get a Gold Pack(tradeable item) ingame, since you are not able to trade with anyone or to use the tradebroker. The Instance cooldowns makes impossible to enjoy (haha, 200th Theobomos Lab run for a weapons you want) the content.

As a veteran you can move more freely(you can trade and use the broker to buy even a gold pack if there is any on sale) but if you really want to do anything you need a Gold Pack.

I would say ok i can live with it. But the way gameforge handles the game and the users is a joke.  We honestly think that there is nothing they can't fail with. Extended maintenance because as they said "someone tripped over a lot of cable" huhhh... But to be honest if i would want to make a list from incompetent support to never seen GM's it would take a day to put together that much fail.

So for the 5 best point of the game i would add the worst, and that is the publisher.

Im sorry if it sounds like im trying to flame or troll. My intention is to let the players know that might develop an interest in the game, watch out.

------

Forgot to mention that they lifted ALL bans (yes even hackers) before the takeover to give everyone a second chance. And when i say they hardly banned anyone since that time, you can imagine the rest.

• RoxOnFireRoxOnFire Member UncommonPosts: 32

1.I have to say,this is the first game i actually don't mind keeping the Elite status monthly payment.What they give you for that is a huge advantage,the changing mounts, the atlas (which is the best thing ever imo) boosts and more...

2.The Support. I have played tons of games over the years and I have NEVER and I mean NEVER been so happy with the support  for Tera. Believe me when I tell you this.I sent 3 tickets in Maple Story in 2010.Can you believe I JUST got replies LAST WEEK saying they are CURRENTLY BUSY with other customers???  I quit PLAYING in 2010! LOL ! 

The support for this game is tremendous with the live chat and the quick email replies.I sometimes feel as though i'm talking to a close friend or even my brother when I contact them. Also, the humor when something goes wrong is appreciated also .

3. The combat is a womderful breathe of fresh air, coming off of wartune war of the immortals and battle of the immortals.

Very exciting combat.

4.Gear- Yes the gear enchanting is a bit hard.Thats fine.Masterwork pisses me off ,yes.Vision maker is basically unreachable.

But also ,other games played we had the top money spenders buying basically their whole toon from the game shop.And the gems were insane to try to get to lvl 7,8. So, thank you for not selling P2W in your shop :) 

5.Mounts are always a fun extra in a game.And they have a good variety of them.Can't imagine running everywhere in this huge beautiful game. Also, everyone gets the standard one so don't bitch.

6.Quests-Yes,turning 1 in to receive 4 more was a bit annoying,but it did get us to 60.

7.Queing for instance matching-Something we try to avoid as you always seem to end up with one yahoo cowboy who thinks his crap doesnt stink,and ends up ruining the experience by picking on the healer or whoever.

8.Vanarchy-Already ppl were caught cheating in our server.It needs to be overhauled for sure as leaders of guilds have quit and left us with no open shops in some zones.Also ppl are still buying votes etc...

9.Guilds-- This is one area I really think Tera failed at. This is a heavily replied upon guild playing game.No one wants to have to go OUTSIDE the game wherever you may have to park a guild forum.

There is NO ROOM AT ALL in the guild box to insert your guild message,except for that 30 or so letter spot in message of the day which doesn't even get used as a message of the day. There is NO where to list the guild rules. There is NO where to Put an important announcement where ALL GUILDIES can see it UPON logging on.

The guild aspect ingame should be large, We are supposed to accomodate up to 300 members in these guilds. No one is going to shorten the window to go to a guild forum. Especially when they r busy ingame.

Us providing our raid calls,teamspeaks,vents,mumble- is all well and good on our end.So we need to see the guild aspect overhauled. to accomodate our guilds.

ALSO: If there are guilds that have 2 -10 members for a certain amt of time,I feel they should have a deletion warning time if it goes past a certain amt of weeks.

10.And to end this on a rather sore note- The Global Chat.

My GOD- I have seen world chats in my time but never with so much trolling ,garbage orientated,abusive, racist,sex orientated,cuss words ,and more in any game I've played.I fI were you,I'd throw a gm in there once in a while letting ppl know if it continues immaturely the way it does,then they will have to start censoring words. Maybe that will keep a majority of the lame basement dwellers and hormaone raging ppl 's  mouths shut.

That's my long ass post.. Thanks for letting me contribute here.

• BuschkatzeBuschkatze Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by Pravius
    Have to agree, I loved this game.  With the exception of the questing, was just so so bad. 

agree..., I play'd Tera until lvl 25, after that I stopped. I like to be a solo player and up this lvl u need party for instances and Boss-quests and there the problem starting. You never find ppl for help or party. I asked i open chat and waited for 3 hours, ppl showed up, looking around leaving again but there where no invite, talking/answering. So I deinstalled Tera sadly. 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Buschkatze
    Originally posted by Pravius
    Have to agree, I loved this game.  With the exception of the questing, was just so so bad. 

agree..., I play'd Tera until lvl 25, after that I stopped. I like to be a solo player and up this lvl u need party for instances and Boss-quests and there the problem starting. You never find ppl for help or party. I asked i open chat and waited for 3 hours, ppl showed up, looking around leaving again but there where no invite, talking/answering. So I deinstalled Tera sadly. 

Thats too bad. But I know how it is. I ran to level 60 on Lancer, Slayer, and Warrior. I also have a level 45 Berserker, all of that solo.  I've only been in to the first two instances a couple of times.  I very much enjoy the combat system, and the graphics are nice.  But the guild and dungeon system need work.  Its too bad, as it could be so much better, with just a little more thought.

Oh well. Life is filled with missed opportunities.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."