Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] TERA: Five Things TERA Got Right

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

TERA has been out on the market for about six months now and has been making steady progress with new content and features being added. In The List today, we take a look at five things that TERA did very well. See what you think before adding your items to The List in the comments.

I’ve been thinking about TERA lately, with their recent Halloween festivities and studio staff shifting. And what’s nice about my memories of TERA is that I had a damned good time while I was there.  I don’t feel a strong pull to return, but I can say I would if the title were to ever go free (which may not be far off for all we know).  It wasn’t the perfect MMO, and many of its features felt too dated for me to truly get rooted in Arborea, but there were a surprising number of things En Masse and Blue Hole did quite well, and I thought for this week’s list we’d recount those facets.  Read on, and leave us a comment to say if you agree or disagree!

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: Five Things TERA Got Right.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZutchZutch Member UncommonPosts: 62
    it's nice game indeed , i do want to play it again...but not that excited to pay sub to do so...so yep ill wait for F2P or chronoscrolls
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The questing was just so, so bad... but beyond that I actually really liked the time I spent with the game. Might look into the free-to-28 deal they're offering.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Mounts? Really?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I really enjoyed it, until the normal questing ground me down and wore me out.

No matter how good the combat it, it can't make up for the boring ass questing they have in the game.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

5) mounts really? if in a game the mounts is on top 5 and you use mounts only to move around they really screw the game up

4) animations ok that i give you is nice,

3) dungeon are not that good one healer in and you don't have to worry, and bams? are a joke too easy to kill then and all they movements are scripted following the same partern, when you consider bams as baing the most badass monster there and you kill then alone....

2) classes nothing out of ordinary or we can say they make new things

1) combat you can say it nice and all but is too slow for me.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Pretty much agree. Mount point was a bit minute but otherwise all the other points stand. 

Classes were pretty amazing in the game, though I wish they had a better system in place like talents or likewise that felt more solid to just enhance it more. It would of made the meh questing at least more bareable as progress could feel a bit more rewarding. Sure, it wasn't as bad as GW2 was for me for progression but it did feel a bit lacking, the new skills usually just enough to interest me though with to long down periods between them.

The combat in particular is by far hands down the best combat in an MMO. Yeah I know, that sounds highly opinionated but seriously, the combat is amazing. I feel its a large part as to why Gw2 combat felt so poor to me. Tera spoiled me with combat and it by far was incredible. Its really a good showing that action combat can work in an MMO. Some people disliked the delays it had but people don't realize thats part of what contributes to skill. All great fighting games have animation lock (which btw, can usually be canceled by other means if available which is possible as well in Tera) which promotes learning a character (class) and mastering it. Not flawless but even then it felt leaps and bounds against other games. 

Its amazing how subpar questing ultimately drowned out features that were otherwise great. That and of course the ignorant "its an asian game" deal that people drown out good games due to personal bias. One day people will realize how stupid it is and maybe people can embrace games from all cultures. It would not of ultimately been enough to hide away its flaws but it would of gave it a better chance to succeed. 

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    The problem is that most of the games out there are a varation of the same. Even GW2 is the same, it my not have the gold ! but it still KTR or worse, carrying apples to stop rabbits eating them... Heroism at it's finest.
  • PraviusPravius Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Have to agree, I loved this game.  With the exception of the questing, was just so so bad. 
  • RelgyrosRelgyros Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

At first, I felt this was the case.  As I got higher in levels, I noticed the creatures got significantly more powerful with each hit and many of them got a little faster, giving you less time to adapt to their maneuvers.

I feel like the higher level BAMs provided an adequate-to-hard challenge for a talented combatant.  One or two mistakes in those fights could put the player in a serious bind.

--

This was a pretty spot-on read.

I can relate to those who felt the questing was inadequate, but many other games in the genre don't necessarily do too much better.  The cutscenes and stories were awesome to watch and be engaged in, but while that provides a positive, it's still not enough.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Best combat and animations in a themepark MMO to date, but the questing was brutal. I got to lvl 50, but it wasn't easy.

Joined - July 2004

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I am currently playing TERA and I disagree about the classes. They are very straightforward and static in the sense that you are either pure DPS, pure Healer or pure Tank, very little leg room for going outside your class role.

Exceptions to this are warrior and Mystic which are somewhat of hybrids. However it is not well implemented. Warrior is supposed to be offtank but usually he plays like a sustained DPS. Mystic is supposed to be some kind of healer CC hybrid but in the end just plays like a hard-to-play healer. Also all classes can only wield one type of weapon.

So imo classes is not something they got right. It is very copy-paste from other games and follows the trinity system to the letter. No dual classing either. Pretty poor...

Actually one of the main complaints with TERA is that beside GFX and combat it is pretty much standard and non-innovative. I partly agree with that because it does have some innovative features like the (useless) Vanarch system and enchantment. But other than that the game is a pretty standard MMO and I am only playing it because of the GFX and combat. Kind of like you are dating a hot chick, just for her looks.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Ugh, this feels for me like picking at a scab until the wound is reopened and starts bleeding again...Oh TERA. Sigh image
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725

I'm always confused when people keep raving about the combat in TERA.  It felt so stinkin slow and clunky to me.  Not fluid feeling whatsoever. 

GFX were very nice though and little to no lag on my 4+ year old rig so kudos for that. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube

The game does a great job in drawing attention but retaining it seemed to be a problem.
    I would have loved to have fluff content, aside from combat.
    It takes a special...something....to be able to do something ad nauseum and not grow tired of it.
    Fishing was once mentioned in a thread I was reading. Cooking, diving, events...ANYTHING!
    One day, I was sitting in the ~tavern~ in Velika and boy was it disappointing. NPCs who simply stood around like mannequins and I couldn't even sit on the stupid benches. I would have properly RPed to my little heart's content. I did it often in WoW. Did it often in Aion...Heh...even Aion had this option a few years back.
    Anyways, it seemed anything but a ~tavern~.
    It was pretty, but tavern? No.
    Everything else in the game was the same. It seems "creepy" to me how everything seems sterilized. It's pretty but don't go near it. Everything has been carefully placed as to enhance visual enjoyment but it serves no other function.
    There is nothing off the beaten path to explore. There are no fun easter eggs to find.
    Without these things the game seemed to me like nothing more than a really-really-pretty-looking-glorified-combat-game with tacked on chatting functions.
    Massively Multiplayer Online Combat Game. That is how I feel about TERA. How long does such a ride last?
    One only needs to look around the servers. Heck, look at the S-Korean servers...

I felt as if TERA was supposed to be my new home. It has the look I want in an MMO. The combat. The gear. My goodness the gear. The seamless world. Sigh...

I partially agree with the list mr. Murphy. It just isn't enough to help the game snowball into a success and see it fill up with players.

I say put her out of her misery, sell the datasets and IP or something and let another studio have a crack at it.

• byx900627byx900627 Member Posts: 3
    The only thing it got wrong is came out at a bad time where pay sub has no future.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Funny, the lancer was at the top of my list of what they did wrong.  The most ridiculous tank in any MMO.  All the others I agree with.  It is a fun game for awhile.

The reason the subscription funding was wrong, because the game just does not have enough content or systems to justify it,   Subscription still works great if you have really good content, or systems to keep people playing.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Loved the Lancer. Your character felt solid and strong. The game is beautiful and the combat is exciting. The underlying quest system keeps me from making this a game that I can't stay away from. I've not played it in a while, but will load it up again some day. It's great fun in small sprints.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by vayman
    Loved the Lancer. Your character felt solid and strong. The game is beautiful and the combat is exciting. The underlying quest system keeps me from making this a game that I can't stay away from. I've not played it in a while, but will load it up again some day. It's great fun in small sprints.

yeah, I love my lancer. It's been very difficult playing other games because all I want to play is my lancer.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

gosh everytime theres a write up abt this game-I really wan tto try it out, looks stunning= but i cant get past the over sized weapons in this game.

looks like they just 'supersized' the weapons here.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Relgyros
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

At first, I felt this was the case.  As I got higher in levels, I noticed the creatures got significantly more powerful with each hit and many of them got a little faster, giving you less time to adapt to their maneuvers.

I feel like the higher level BAMs provided an adequate-to-hard challenge for a talented combatant.  One or two mistakes in those fights could put the player in a serious bind.

--

This was a pretty spot-on read.

I can relate to those who felt the questing was inadequate, but many other games in the genre don't necessarily do too much better.  The cutscenes and stories were awesome to watch and be engaged in, but while that provides a positive, it's still not enough.

This was exactly my take also. I'm still subbed and play now and then. I enjoy the different style of gameplay and like the fact that combat takes timing no matter what class you logged and feel all the classes have a unique way of getting the job done. Graphics and combat animations are my fav to date. Have I found my perfect mmo, no, Frankly I don't care about that. I like different flavors and unlike most I hate to see ttiles do poorly or even fail. I always use the catch phrase "Ford vs Chevy' cause in the mmo community it seems thats what things boil down to.

Originally posted by orbitxo

gosh everytime theres a write up abt this game-I really wan tto try it out, looks stunning= but i cant get past the over sized weapons in this game.

looks like they just 'supersized' the weapons here.

They may be big but it's not just for show. Have you seen how big the BAMs can be? Makes it all the sweeter to watch yourself swing your axe into one of those things.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Really the only thing that stopped me playing TERA more was the character races; they just weren’t my type of thing at all. The combat, graphics and sound were all top notch though.

• jensen_34jensen_34 Member Posts: 52

Spot on in my opinion.  Combat, animations, graphics were all breakthrough.  I didn't feel like I was grinding, I felt like I was fighting.

Main problems were the lack of depth in pve or pvp and limited character development.  If they had taken more time to develop the content before launch this could have been a game changer.  My slayer was just like every other slayer at end game.  Couple that with my friends moving to GW2 and that ended my affair with Tera.

Would go back in a heart beat and sub if I thought they were going to develop the content at a decent pace.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by jensen_34

Spot on in my opinion.  Combat, animations, graphics were all breakthrough.  I didn't feel like I was grinding, I felt like I was fighting.

Main problems were the lack of depth in pve or pvp and limited character development.  If they had taken more time to develop the content before launch this could have been a game changer.  My slayer was just like every other slayer at end game.  Couple that with my friends moving to GW2 and that ended my affair with Tera.

Would go back in a heart beat and sub if I thought they were going to develop the content at a decent pace.

Whole heartedly agree with ^^^ and with Mr.Murphy. This game was so fun. I got to the mid 30's and couldn't keep going because the quests made it so boring. Limited Character develpment and lack of immersion also. Couldn't been so great.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Verb tenses!