Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I dont understand why some people feel cheated

kishekishe aitooPosts: 1,978Member Uncommon
Considering I paid the price of an normal singleplayer game and got to 300 hours played before said "Done!" I feel I've gotten my 60 dollars worth of entertainment.
«134

Comments

  • YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member

    Because a lot of us are waiting for the MMO to re-capture the feeling of the classic one's. However, it may be time to realise that this will not happen. Atleast not with ThemePark MMOs.

    As for 300 hours, I only got 160 hours out of it before I got bored. Still ok but not what I expected.

  • ThorkuneThorkune Eastern, KYPosts: 1,830Member Uncommon
    With the price of the game, I feel that I got my money's worth even though I no longer play it. I still got console game time out of my purchase.
  • thecapitainethecapitaine West Chester, PAPosts: 401Member Uncommon
    Beyond the fact that some people will always feel they've been cheated, no matter what?  I've gotten only about 20 hours logged on the game.  I try to play it a couple times a week and end up shutting it down after just a few minutes.  Great art, interesting ideas, nice action but it lacks something that I can only identify at the gut level that puts me off almost instantly.  I wouldn't say I feel cheated but if someone bought a B2P MMO expecting to play for months and only got a couple weeks enjoyment out of it, they may have a case for being very disappointed.
  • KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member

    It wasn't very much of a multiplayer social game, but it was a decent price for a single player game.  Got somewhere over 100 hours out of it I guess.

     

    The best part of the whole game was clearing the first map.  After that, it all went downhill, as repetition set in.  Same objective types, different maps, different skins.  End game is non-existant.  No reason to love the progress I made on a character, thus no reason to love my character(s).  No social bonds to keep me logging back in.  Guilds are a joke and a half.

     

    Shrug, maybe the game will get better next year / next expansion, who knows.

     

    Someone would only feel cheated if they wanted a full out MMORPG experience, as the game was advertised.

    This is one of the best online solo player games available, though (not to be confused with offline solo player games which blow GW2 away).

    Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

  • slicknslim88slicknslim88 Norfolk, VAPosts: 394Member

    Are there people who feel cheated with this game?  I don't see how somebody CAN feel cheated with this game.  I'm guessing people dont just randomly pick up a game on impulse buys.  Games are expensive enough to warrant research in what the game is like, how it's played, in what manner, and so forth.  For example, I'm pretty sure a fan of RPG's is going to do research on an FPS before he goes out and buys it and vice versa.

    I base a games worth on how much content is in the game.  I'm an FPS fan and I just recently bought Halo 4, and am very happy with my purchase because there is just a lot of content in the game to explore and play.  However, I hate CoD and will not be purchasing Black Ops 2, but I can look at the content and say that for the people who buy the game, they have lots of content to play around with, so they will probably get their money's worth (their 50 dollar map pack is another story >_>).  So if I were to go out and purchase Black Ops 2 for 60 dollars, I wouldn't have any right to get on their forums and spout off how cheated I feel because I don't like the game and how Activision stole my money because I knew prior that I probably wouldn't like it.  Yet there is more than enough content for a 60 dollar purchase.

    So for the people who feel like they are cheated is their own fault for feeling cheated.  They probably didn't do enough research on the game to see if they would like the gameplay and whatnot.  For 60 dollars, the game offers an assload of content that trumps any 60 dollar console game.  It's a tremendous value, and people who feel cheated are either just complaining for attention, or total idiots for not researching a game before purchasing it.

  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    It's awesome for bringing the multilplayer back into an mmo I don't think I've ever played an mmo where I felt so constantly connected to fellow players.

    Downside I think the progression is lacking. After lvl 30 I started losing ambition to go on.

    image
  • PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,924Member Uncommon

    I didn't get remotely close to that time and basically got less time out of this (much of it felt more forced then 'enjoyment') then I did most single player games. Doesn't help seeing Torchlight 2 I spent $20 on and have a lot more fun and more playtime on then Gw2. 

    So yeah... I felt cheated out of my money a bit but they gave a refund and I'm fine with it. Honestly it might not of been that amazing to me but I'd of been willing to let them keep $20 of my refund and been content for the time I had. Sure it wasn't the best experience ever but it at least ate up some time and was mildly enjoyable at times. Just didn't feel worth the $60 at all.

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,278Member Uncommon

    60 bucks gives yeh 300 hours. How can you beat that.

     

    There is no way someone could make the argument that 300 hours of entertainment isn't worth $60. From that stand point you can't be wrong. I guess people let the hype leading into cause them to lose sight of the golden rule. "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

  • klerkenklerken AarhusPosts: 52Member
    Originally posted by slicknslim88

    Are there people who feel cheated with this game?  I don't see how somebody CAN feel cheated with this game.  I'm guessing people dont just randomly pick up a game on impulse buys.  Games are expensive enough to warrant research in what the game is like, how it's played, in what manner, and so forth.  For example, I'm pretty sure a fan of RPG's is going to do research on an FPS before he goes out and buys it and vice versa.

    I base a games worth on how much content is in the game.  I'm an FPS fan and I just recently bought Halo 4, and am very happy with my purchase because there is just a lot of content in the game to explore and play.  However, I hate CoD and will not be purchasing Black Ops 2, but I can look at the content and say that for the people who buy the game, they have lots of content to play around with, so they will probably get their money's worth (their 50 dollar map pack is another story >_>).  So if I were to go out and purchase Black Ops 2 for 60 dollars, I wouldn't have any right to get on their forums and spout off how cheated I feel because I don't like the game and how Activision stole my money because I knew prior that I probably wouldn't like it.  Yet there is more than enough content for a 60 dollar purchase.

    So for the people who feel like they are cheated is their own fault for feeling cheated.  They probably didn't do enough research on the game to see if they would like the gameplay and whatnot.  For 60 dollars, the game offers an assload of content that trumps any 60 dollar console game.  It's a tremendous value, and people who feel cheated are either just complaining for attention, or total idiots for not researching a game before purchasing it.

    i can't say i feel cheated if  i split it up i guess i paid about 1 dollar per hour played, done better deals and done worse deals, but despite that i just can't agree with your points about people being idiots for buying a game on impulse. 70 % of the games i buy is probably bought on impulse, due to a boring night or just wanting to see the what the fuzz is about. and i don't think i'm the only one who buys like that, and most of them like me probably won't feel cheated.

    but the people i can imagine feel cheated, is people with bad experience (customer service, hacks, etc.), or who expected more, or just expected to play it for a long time.

    maybe i haven't been paying enough attention but it seems like people who write posts about it feel more disappointed for one reason or the other, than they feel cheated

  • chryseschryses LondonPosts: 1,453Member Uncommon

    I have got my monies worth and just taking a break to play XCOM and that is why I love GW2. I will definitely go back to it but not pressured to use up sub.

    As for feeling cheated I personally think its a generation thing. When I started playing games we used 51/4 inch floppies and you were winning if the game even worked.  Then you had to work with a monochrome 256x screen with beeps as sound effects.  I know where games have come from and I really really appreciate the modern games out there.

    If you haven't started from the beginning then you can feel cheated as you always wan't to be dazzled.  I think older gamers are more appreciative because we know how crap games were!

    However, I do feel games have lost that old school feeling that came with Elite, Master of Orion 2, Bards Tale (1980's), Wizadry fallout, Baldurs Gate, Privateer etc.  They seemed to be closely aligned to D&D or role playing games and had that intense feeling.  Today games are more like smack a mole.

     

     

  • RohnRohn Saint Peters, MOPosts: 3,740Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kishe
    Considering I paid the price of an normal singleplayer game and got to 300 hours played before said "Done!" I feel I've gotten my 60 dollars worth of entertainment.

     

    That's because it's not a singleplayer game - it's an MMO, and is therefore judged by MMO standards, one of which is longevity.

    Most MMOs in recent history have been bashed because players lost interested in playing them, just like many have with GW2.  The payment model doesn't really make a difference.  When playing an MMO, many players expect to become absorbed in the world, and their measure of success is how long they are interested in playing.

    Players have had similar criticisms of F2P games.  Even though they cost absolutely nothing to play, players still believe that if it doesn't hold their attention, it's a "bad" game.

    GW2 just doesn't have legs.  It's badly designed regarding long term interest.

    Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 984Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kishe
    Considering I paid the price of an normal singleplayer game and got to 300 hours played before said "Done!" I feel I've gotten my 60 dollars worth of entertainment.

    I didn't get nearly that many hours, but I had enough fun to warrant having paid $60.  I never got a toon to 80, but enjoyed the WVWVW and sPvP for a good while.  I'll likely be giving my account to my sister in law, so the $60 will still have been well spent.  My sister in law's got huge...tracts of land...

  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

    Because many people are spoiled consumers who think they should get everything for free?

    Also: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5385610#5385610

    The thing that amazes me is there are hours of gameplay in this game, not just 300, so why stop there? Other mmo's like WoW with it's 4 expansions I have just as much to do as GW2 does before it's releasing any 1 piece of extra content. I found it nice that the content in GW2 was not lacking despite there not being a monthly fee, despite there being a store, and despite there not being any expansions yet. But then again, I'm not one of those people who 1: solely plays for the personal story 2: solely plays to level to max get geared and then stop 3: solely plays to run the dungeons until geared just so I could jump to the next level dungeon to do the same thing. 

    That last statement is THE KEY reason why games that have failed (not including GW2 btw) those that have subscriptions have had such an issue keeping players. It's not the games in most cases it's the type of players we have now. People just jump into a game because it's a fad instead of staying with it like it's a home. 

    Let me give you an example.

    When I first started playing WoW I was not a power leveler AT ALL. I had never played mmo's before and the people I was playing with all wanted me to be max level instantly. They came over sometimes to my lowbie zone and helped me level. Years later while still playing WoW I leveled my toons in 4 days time. But only because of the culture in these games. I never liked leveling that fast to experience what was considered fun and eventful with my friends (only the end game) but I was stuck following the crowd because that's what everyone else was doing and there wasn't a game i could play that didn't offer that same cookie cutter experience i hated.

    So I eventually stopped playing altogether because there really wasn't any reason for me to login. I had maxed all my toons, ran dungeons for gear maxed a couple out on dungeon gear, was never really interested in their style of raiding.

    So I would login try to finish crafting fishing archeology.

    That was the extent of the 'fun' available to me of the WoW experience. I wasted alot of time and money because these devs failed me as a player by making their game solely for about 25% of the populous (guessing here it could be lower).

    So what I guess I'm saying is this. Don't stop. If those of us who couldn't care less about raiding logged into WoW every night and weekends can do it, surely people can spend more time on a game that's free to login and play. :)

  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    It's awesome for bringing the multilplayer back into an mmo I don't think I've ever played an mmo where I felt so constantly connected to fellow players.

    Downside I think the progression is lacking. After lvl 30 I started losing ambition to go on.

    Didn't have a single problem. For me I was struggling to keep it from moving too fast. I was exploring, doing those events that popup (didn't even focus on hearts) while running thru and gathering like a madman all the way, it was difficult to keep myself from reaching 80 too fast. ;)

     

  • CalerxesCalerxes LondonPosts: 1,630Member Uncommon
    Expectation, if you go into an MMO advertised and promoted as being all you love from GW1 but in a fully fledged MMO and you played other MMO's for years you could be expecting for this game to be the same and last for years, because you know its a fully fledged MMO, i can understand feeling cheated.

    This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Virginia beach, VAPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    I dont feel cheated, but more...disappointed. Its a good game though.

    All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: SWTOR, ESO, WOT, and Marvel Heroes

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,214Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    [mod edit]

    [mod edit]

    Well my quoted posts got edit, maybe I should take that as a sign. image

  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kishe
    Considering I paid the price of an normal singleplayer game and got to 300 hours played before said "Done!" I feel I've gotten my 60 dollars worth of entertainment.

    I think it's because people expected to get more playtime out of it, like the classic mmo's we loved in their hay day, like EQ1, AC1, DAOC, and Ultima Online. Unfortunately, mmo's the past years have been like console games you buy, play them for a few weeks til you beat it and move on to the next one.

    image

    What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,928Member Uncommon
    I got about 120 hours out of the game so I can't feel cheated.  I do feel pretty disappointed and let down though.  Given how much thought and effort was put into the game, I was bummed that endgame and instances were such a let down.
  • HedakeHedake Tempe, ALPosts: 14Member Common
    I think you could only really feel "cheated" if you became enamored with the hype. It was a good game at a good price. 
  • grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Expectation, if you go into an MMO advertised and promoted as being all you love from GW1 but in a fully fledged MMO and you played other MMO's for years you could be expecting for this game to be the same and last for years, because you know its a fully fledged MMO, i can understand feeling cheated.

    This is pretty accurate.  I guess the biggest obstacle for many to overcome is that this is a very casual MMO.  So casual and lightweight that it blurs the line between coop multiplay and MMO.  

    Price has never been an issue with this game.  I think people would have gladly payed more than $60 for something with a bit more meat at its core.  

    It's a good fun video game but it is like night and day difference from classic MMOs (such as EQ, UO, SWG).

    This is like an MMO appetizer....a poo-poo platter.  Has a little of this, little of that, some of this.  Tastes really good but it's not that filling.  More of a sampling of some aspects of the genre.

  • SiphaedSiphaed Everywhere!Posts: 877Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by kishe
    Considering I paid the price of an normal singleplayer game and got to 300 hours played before said "Done!" I feel I've gotten my 60 dollars worth of entertainment.

     

    That's because it's not a singleplayer game - it's an MMO, and is therefore judged by MMO standards, one of which is longevity.

    Most MMOs in recent history have been bashed because players lost interested in playing them, just like many have with GW2.  The payment model doesn't really make a difference.  When playing an MMO, many players expect to become absorbed in the world, and their measure of success is how long they are interested in playing.

    Players have had similar criticisms of F2P games.  Even though they cost absolutely nothing to play, players still believe that if it doesn't hold their attention, it's a "bad" game.

    GW2 just doesn't have legs.  It's badly designed regarding long term interest.

    Exactly how so is it "badly designed" for long term interests? Do you know the time and effort it takes to put into getting a Legendary Weapon.  And, after seeing people walking around with them (and their steps being growing plants, rainbows, streams of the sky, and so on), only then did I start working towards one myself.  

     

    Legendarys take 500 dungeon tokens, 500 WvW Badges, 1,000's of other materials, 600,000 Karma. That's a goal!

     

    Also, just to get my Tier 3 cultural armor set for a single one of my characters it's 112 gold.  Expensive, time consuming, but head turning.


  • RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

    Because many people are spoiled consumers who think they should get everything for free?

    Also: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5385610#5385610

    The thing that amazes me is there are hours of gameplay in this game, not just 300, so why stop there? Other mmo's like WoW with it's 4 expansions I have just as much to do as GW2 does before it's releasing any 1 piece of extra content. I found it nice that the content in GW2 was not lacking despite there not being a monthly fee, despite there being a store, and despite there not being any expansions yet. But then again, I'm not one of those people who 1: solely plays for the personal story 2: solely plays to level to max get geared and then stop 3: solely plays to run the dungeons until geared just so I could jump to the next level dungeon to do the same thing. 

    That last statement is THE KEY reason why games that have failed (not including GW2 btw) those that have subscriptions have had such an issue keeping players. It's not the games in most cases it's the type of players we have now. People just jump into a game because it's a fad instead of staying with it like it's a home. 

    Let me give you an example.

    When I first started playing WoW I was not a power leveler AT ALL. I had never played mmo's before and the people I was playing with all wanted me to be max level instantly. They came over sometimes to my lowbie zone and helped me level. Years later while still playing WoW I leveled my toons in 4 days time. But only because of the culture in these games. I never liked leveling that fast to experience what was considered fun and eventful with my friends (only the end game) but I was stuck following the crowd because that's what everyone else was doing and there wasn't a game i could play that didn't offer that same cookie cutter experience i hated.

    So I eventually stopped playing altogether because there really wasn't any reason for me to login. I had maxed all my toons, ran dungeons for gear maxed a couple out on dungeon gear, was never really interested in their style of raiding.

    So I would login try to finish crafting fishing archeology.

    That was the extent of the 'fun' available to me of the WoW experience. I wasted alot of time and money because these devs failed me as a player by making their game solely for about 25% of the populous (guessing here it could be lower).

    So what I guess I'm saying is this. Don't stop. If those of us who couldn't care less about raiding logged into WoW every night and weekends can do it, surely people can spend more time on a game that's free to login and play. :)

    This and there are fans though, who do the opposite of the haters.

    Like wasn't there a thread about "My MMO is better than yours." That to me was not needed, though OP could of been Sarcastic lol.

    Really  as far as haters go Korrigan bout got that right, it's really obvious to.

    I think Life of the ordinary(my bad if I got your name wrong) said somethin bout fans earlier in another thread it was correct, to me mash both statements in one post it should be right(I think lol).

    Course I'm a fan of GW2 so hey it is what it is.

    First page...interesting.

    You guys be easy and enjoy life, peace.

    I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

    I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

    P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

    Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

  • muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yamota

    Because a lot of us are waiting for the MMO to re-capture the feeling of the classic one's. However, it may be time to realise that this will not happen. Atleast not with ThemePark MMOs.

    As for 300 hours, I only got 160 hours out of it before I got bored. Still ok but not what I expected.

    i agree with this.  i think i have 150 hours or so.  i feel i got my 60 dollars worth.  but a lot of people were expecting this to recapture the feeling they got when they first started mmo's.  and it simply didnt happen for many people.

    I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member

    If anyone didn't know what they were getting into when they bought the game, they didn't do their research.  There were more blogs, videos and websites about this game than just about anything that has come out in recent history.

     

    If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.
    image

«134
Sign In or Register to comment.