Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth buying GW2?

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It is a very casual game. If you have a lot of time on your hands you'll blow right through the content with ease. As mentioned above if you can only play 1-2 hours a day then you'll be ok.
  • IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by ImperialSun
    Main things that are putting me off currently are:

Too much grind and fetch this and carry that and water these plants and stuff

Im told that all abilities are slottesd by around level 10 and the game does not change from that point on

Whats the end game like?

Driz

See I almost took your question seriously: "Worth Buying GW2"?  until I read this.   Either you do not know what type of game you like or your trolling MMORPG's.  Why do I say this?  Because ALL, EVERY single MMORPG known has some form of this "Fetch, Grind, Carry that, and water these plants stuff"   MMORPG's are made up of tasks "quests" events that help you gain experience in the world you are playing in and yes GW2 does have a lot of reknown hearts and dynamic events.   on the surfice they look similar to each other but if you follow them they have a story unique to themselves.

Yes you learn all your skills quickly and then focus on other aspects of the game.  Personally I'd much rather have the amount of skills Guild Wars 2 has then say 5-10 rows of skills that at end game you mainly only use a few over and over again.  Play style is not worrying about specific button rotations but more about what you see on the screen and reacting to it.   You see someone put down a combo field, go over and use your combo finisher, no need to worry about which 20, you only have 1-2.   You see a mob reaching way back to do an attack, DODGE, you don't have 20 evade dodge type skills to worry to choose from.  

Guild Wars 2 is about loving the world within which you are playing, not about reaching level 80 and hoping there is something different there, like every other game.   You live within the world and experience what it has to offer.  It was originally designed without levels and you can see hints of that all over the game.   So what if you reached 80 it doesn't mean the level 30 zones you skipped do not have things for you to do and enjoy.

It isn't about obtaining that kick ass armor / weapon set to gain access to another dungeon just to try an obtain another kick ass armor weapon set, repeat and rinse.  No its about enjoying Tyria, being rewarded with unique gear that shows off your adventures.

There are things in the game that are lacking but worrying if it has essential MMORPG qualities is naive, it is an MMORPG, it will have defend, transport, kill, and fetch type events / quests.     The game is fun and compared to other games that you can play thru and beat the game within 24-48 hours this game will definitely give you a week or two of unique experiences which no other game can compare in its same genre.  If the game catches you and holds you longer great but for $60 you can't beat it.

if you took the time to read this I'd be shocked but I'd thank you for doing so.  I hope you aren't trolling and I really hope you figure out what type of game you actually like.   I've dabbled in Hawken, Planetside 2, and a few other games and I've been playing games of all kinds since late 1980's.  So far Guild Wars 2 has given me the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had in an MMORPG in the last 15 years.

Let me add this : EDITED:

I'm a HUGE guild wars 2 fan.  I love so much about this game, and hope it brings forth a lot of changes within the genre.  That being said,  There are no real reasons outside of WvW to play with a guild together in PvE.  Once you've done oh say nearly all the Jumping puzzles together and have all been level 80 for over a month,  You tend to drift off doing your own thing.  The dungeons are okay the first few times, but no real reason to do them repeatedly.   They have not put the mini games they promised within the game.  there are what 2-3? real mini games.

I can see and understand why people who have been level 80 for a long time now and have all unique equipment maxed level crafting exploration 100% are leaving to find something to do until more content is added.     Other games offer the tred mill which gives people a goal which gives the carrot on the stick to reach.   Guild Wars 2 hasn't quite implimented a part of the game in which this would fulfill that need in people. 

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Waybackwhen
    It is a very casual game. If you have a lot of time on your hands you'll blow right through the content with ease. As mentioned above if you can only play 1-2 hours a day then you'll be ok.

Blow through the content? Really? I have a lvl 61 character and have  over 125 hours on him - that is NOT blowing through content. It is just some people like to play 8-12 hours a day (don't know how they can do that and hold a job - more than likely college students) . SOme people just like to rush to the end to be UBER - fortunately there is no UBER in this game. There is new content coming next week so it will be fun to see what they add (this was similar to adding Sorrow's Furnace to Prophecies and it was done after 3 months or so).

A.Net will continue to add content so don't worry about that - they did the same with GW1 and I expect they will do the same with GW2.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Just wanted to see what the general feeling is towards GW2 these days? I am genuinely thinking of buying a copy of the game

Even if you just play it for a month as a single player RPG it is easily worth the box price IMO.

If you find the rest of it to your tastes then the value is pretty amazing, so yes, worth buying for sure if you are looking for a themepark fantasy MMO that has a lot of it's own ideas and ways of doing things.

No game is for everyone though and it might be that it just isn't your taste. I would use one of the buddy keys as suggested to find that out.

(I am replying to you on faith that your OP isn't really just a thinly disguised shit slinging effort)

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by evilprey
    best mmo ever in my opinion 

ha ha :)

Thanks for sharing but I was hoping for a bit more substance :p

Dead servers

Im told that all abilities are slottesd by around level 10 and the game does not change from that point on

Whats the end game like?

Driz

Not sure if tr...

So as someone who's been playing the game regularly since launch:

Dead servers: not an issue

Too much grind/fetch: nope

All abilities @ level 10: nope

End game: like every other MMO

Which leads me to wonder, are you actually talking about Guild Wars 2 or was this topic posted in the wrong section?

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

Originally posted by Cavod

Dead servers

Whats the end game like?

Driz

Not sure if tr...

Which leads me to wonder, are you actually talking about Guild Wars 2 or was this topic posted in the wrong section?

I'm curious if you are talking about guild wars 2..   Abilities and End game.

he may have over simplified but you do gain all of your abilites / skills at a very low level and only gain utilities after that.

End game is most definitely NOT like all other MMO's   There is no forced gear treadmill grind in which you need to do so to gain access to further difficult content.  There is no end game "Like every other MMO"  You sir are over exaggerating the similarity of this game comapred to other mmo's.

There is no typical end game in Guild Wars 2.  Infact that is the reason most people I know have left the game, no goals to set no real grouping content in PvE outside the 5 man dungeons which have no real reason for you to do them after 15-20 runs each.  All the mini games that were supposed to be in the game aren't there.  I can go on and on but not worth it.

So are you actually talking about Guild Wars 2 or are you in the wrong section aswell??

IamApropos
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Hi all

Just wanted to see what the general feeling is towards GW2 these days?

I have been following the game tentaively for some time and am still undecided about taking the plunge. I did have lots of friends who left left their current MMOs to play GW2 however they have all since gone back to their old games and/or moved to new games since GW2 is allegedly dying already.

Do you play MMO's for yourself or to be with your friends?  If it's the latter, don't play GW2 then, go join them in their games.

I am genuinely thinking of buying a copy of the game, the graphics look great and some of the game mechanic seem very interesting to me. The casual nature of the game would suit my play style and available game time.

Sounds like a good game for you actually, and good reasons to give it a try, especially with the B2P model.

Despite the very underwhelming financial performance confirmed in the recent NCSoft reports, depsite the stories of servers being ghost towns already and even despite a growing number of people claiming GW2 tanked quicker than SWTOR I am still interested in what this game has to offer...

What in the world do financial reports have to do with whether a game is fun or not?  While some servers are probably thinning out, you do know you can cross realm PVE right?  So go play on one of the servers folks are reporting are still quite full everywhere.  And why compare this to SWTOR, totally different games/situations, are you going to compare it to the failure of Mitt Romney the other day or why Dark and Light never worked out?  Irrelvant comparison points in each case.

So come on guys, restore my faith and give me a reason to go buy GW2 :)

Driz

You really sound like you don't want to like it, therefore I'd say steer clear.  You know yourself what you like and don't like in a MMO, nothing we say here is going to convince you.

But if you think 60 bucks is worth taking a plunge, go for it, you might find the perfect game, some folks around here really seem to like it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Apropo

Dead servers

Whats the end game like?

Driz

Not sure if tr...

he may have over simplified but you do gain all of your abilites / skills at a very low level and only gain utilities after that.

End game is most definitely NOT like all other MMO's   There is no forced gear treadmill grind in which you need to do so to gain access to further difficult content.  There is no end game "Like every other MMO"  You sir are over exaggerating the similarity of this game comapred to other mmo's.

There is no typical end game in Guild Wars 2.  Infact that is the reason most people I know have left the game, no goals to set no real grouping content in PvE outside the 5 man dungeons which have no real reason for you to do them after 15-20 runs each.  All the mini games that were supposed to be in the game aren't there.  I can go on and on but not worth it.

So are you actually talking about Guild Wars 2 or are you in the wrong section aswell??

If you think the build ends at skills you haven't explored much.

Glyphs, runes, and traits are all fundamental parts of your build - getting all of these will happen significantly later.

Sure for DE/Map completion PvE it ins't very important but for Dungeon PvE it is the difference from posting in forum whining that "dungeons are rez zerg fests" and doing them without wiping.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Dead servers

Whats the end game like?

Driz

Not sure if tr...

Fact, you do not get all your abilities @ level 10.  If you want to change my statement and then argue it, have at it but don't think it's a reply to what I said.   Having access to all my skills, all my elites and unlocking the max traits has completely changed the game play between low level and level 80.   You seem to be over simplifying things as well.

About end game.  You seem to feel the only valid end game in a MMO is a "forced gear treadmill grind".  WoW may have mainstreamed a gear treadmill for end game but that doesn't mean it's the only way for end game.

End game content for:

RO: grind bosses to get cards/ PvP

FFXI: grind bosses to get gear(most being sidegrades) and crafting materials

WoW: grind dungeons to get gear/ PvP

LotRO: grind dungeons to get gear

Aion: grind dungeons to get gear/ PvP

DCUO: grind dungeons to get gear/ PvP

SWTOR: grind dugeon to get gear/ PvP

GW2: grind dungeon to get gear/ PvP

Yup. You're right, GW2 is nothing like other MMOs at end game!

I understand that you and your friends don't like GW2 anymore and there's nothing wrong with it.  However I'm hearing a lot of  typical MMO hopper jargon.  Expecting a newly released game to have content comparable to games over 5+ years old is just silly.  It's common knowledge that MMOs grow with time.

So yes, I'm talking about GW2.  What are you talking about?

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

your point though relavent has absolutely NOTHING with what I was talking about.

IamApropos
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

Much like how your comments had nothing to do with what I was talking about despite having quoted me?

Well then I guess we're equal in each other's mind and can end our discussion here.  Have a good day!

Edit: It's so nice when forum disagreements can end in a civil way. ^_^b

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    "I just wanted to say that it has been very refreshing reading this thread.

Most of the replies over the 7 pages seem to indicate that GW2 is not at the top of many people's list however the usual personal attacks and venom spitting fanboy nonsense is nowhere to be seen.

/kudos

Me personally:

SWG tops my list of all time fave MMORPGs never since has a game had so much depth, complexity and freedom imo. If I could have and SWG2.0 with all of the production values of something like GW2 or SWTOR I would be in hogs heaven.

Apart from that my list would be:

WAR - PvP'd the most in this game out of any, was fun

SWTOR - still playing and loving it

Rift - still playing and loving it

Driz"

Might want to stick to what you love and are still playin IMHO

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Originally posted by sammyeli
    "I just wanted to say that it has been very refreshing reading this thread.

Most of the replies over the 7 pages seem to indicate that GW2 is not at the top of many people's list however the usual personal attacks and venom spitting fanboy nonsense is nowhere to be seen.

/kudos

Me personally:

SWG tops my list of all time fave MMORPGs never since has a game had so much depth, complexity and freedom imo. If I could have and SWG2.0 with all of the production values of something like GW2 or SWTOR I would be in hogs heaven.

Apart from that my list would be:

WAR - PvP'd the most in this game out of any, was fun

SWTOR - still playing and loving it

Rift - still playing and loving it

Driz"

Might want to stick to what you love and are still playin IMHO

Looks like mazut knew what he was talking about.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

To me it's not a great game but it's not a bad game. It being a buy to play game it's very easy to just hit max level and forget about it. GW2 is the first buy to play mmo I've played, wait I bought GW1 just for the HoM items, so it's the second I've bought. I feel since it's a buy to play game, there's no subscription, so no real reason to make me play often. It feels like a console game in that respect for me. Hit max level, get exotic gear and you're done (legendary weapons just look diff so I don't see the point). If the game were a subscription based game, I probably wouldn't be playing it either, as it just doesn't have enough to do at max level to continue to play for years. I'd gladly pay a sub though if there were a lot to do in end game to keep me busy and wanting to play.

I just get the feeling I do with console games with GW2, beat it, move on....sadly.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

The main thing is that the game never forces you do something repetitively. Once you get bored (which is a perfectly normal thing, us being humans rather than robots) you can simply switch to something you find interesting for the moment, whitout feeling penalized in any way.

Yeah, I spent last week grinding Orichalcum in Orr with my 80s...    Was about ready to stick a knife in my eye from the "dailies-like" grind.   Just brought back that hopeless-pointless 'treadmill' feeling I got out of six-months end-game raiding in LOTRO...

So I started doing jumping puzzles and exploration for a break.   Enjoyed the heck out of it.   Then I decided to get my 78 further advanced on her story, so I did that.   Then I decided to grind my cooking to 400 on one of my three chefs, but needed peaches...   So I had to explore an whole new area in the Charr zones to find the bulk peaches vendor...  

And this morning, I'm back to Orr and grinding Orichalcum because I want to, not because I have to...   

And the best part is, I didn't miss my once-a-week 2% chance to get the Shoulder Pads of 3% Better because I took time off from grinding, like would have happened in other games, because I wouldn't have the consumables necessary for a raid...

It was great.   Have fun without a penalty.  Have fun because I want to do something, rather than grinding-out something because it, like a job, is necessary....

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    It's worth buying if you compare it to any singleplayer game which lasts max 1 week. You might like GW2 for 2-3x longer time.
  • ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115

I enjoy it its alot better then most mmorpgs. Alot of people like asian mmo's think they are more hardcore they will call gw2 casual and so on. Alot of WoW fan boys call it casual as well but it isnt. Game has only been on a few months they add new content and stuff. Its alot of fun more of the new type of mmorpg action mmo almost falls in the line of dragon nest. without having to do the same dungeons over and over again. very fast paced.

Only thing I dont like is there is no option for a xbox360 controller. Alot of people think it wouldnt work but they havent played dragon nest or champions online or anything like that this game could work. The aoe might be sorta hard but if they add a auto target to it should ease it up alittle bit. Then you would have to scroll on the ground to much but hey look at dragon age that worked pretty well.

Much like how your comments had nothing to do with what I was talking about despite having quoted me?

Well then I guess we're equal in each other's mind and can end our discussion here.  Have a good day!

Edit: It's so nice when forum disagreements can end in a civil way. ^_^b

One I didn't say I don't like the game infact I didn't reply quicker because I'm currently in game playing... I just realise where it is limited and I'm not simple minded enough to over simplify as you are doing.   My point had everything to do with what you were trying to say no matter how much of a jerk you were trying to passively aggresively be..

So no I don't see the connection you blanketly describe as it all fits into the same, your full of crap and are misguiding people with your over exaggerated views.  its as simple as that.   And no I don't ever agree to disagree there are facts and then there are good storys. 

I love guild wars 2, I'm not going to over simplify it where it is weak and I wont over exagerate it where its great, I'm blown away by a lot the game has to offer but please for the love of god stop the blanket over exagerated comparisons its really annoying for reasonable people to read such garbage.   BTW don't bother replying in hopes I'll read it you've been blocked because I've realized debating is pointless with you.

I'm not going to respond to the attacks you made to me, that's what the report button is for. 

There's two things I care to say after reading this.

1. Sorry, I made the mistake and put you in the group with your friends.  That was my reading error, thanks for pointing it out.

2. I gave simplistic answers to simplistic questions that weren't not asked by you.  You then found fault with me for doing so.   Nothing I said was false and you did not successfully refuting my simplistic, factual answers.  So you flamed me and blocked me for having an opnion different than yours.    =(

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I would say yes. Kicks ass in polish, style and 'wow' factor (no not the wow you're thinking of). Well worth the box cost for the mileage imo. It has some issues with longievity and opinions differ about where the problem lies ...I personally think it's due to the fact that they were so eager to make it 'different' from the standard MMO fare that they forgot to add in momentum or drive and basic human nature needs some drive to keep you interested in anything long term imo. Other than that it's a beautiful game worth anyones time
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Masa1
    It's worth buying if you compare it to any singleplayer game which lasts max 1 week. You might like GW2 for 2-3x longer time.

This is your typical opinion of some who only played the game in the shallowest way possible.   If he played it at all.  

Having played the story to the final dungeon from the Human and Norn paths as well as all the paths for all three orders (Vigil, Whispers, Priory) to at least level 76 I can tell you can't get the 'whole story' from one week's play.  Or one month's play.    I'm learning new things about the story from the Whispers/Sylvari play-through.   I'm learning things about story from my Asura/Priory play-through.  And I'm learning different new things from my human/priory play-through (the one at level 76).

Something I've seen, and virtually none of the haters have seen from their limited (if any) play-through is this game is hugely complex when it comes to the story.   There are a TON of threads that weave together.  

Each race has three sets of three choices on creation.   Guess what I've figured out.  Those threads weave in-and-out of the story for the entire game making each story different in both gross and subtle ways.   I saw things in my human story I didn't understand until I did my Sylvari story.  I saw things in my human story I didn't know where they came from until I did my Norn.   I saw things in my human story from the Norns that I didn't get in my Norn story, but I did experience in my daughter's Norn story when we teamed up.

The story in this game is a hell of a lot more complex than most people realize.    Even in the 70-level stories, which I'm on with my 3rd & 4th characters,  I'm still running into new things.  I'm still going "ah-ha!"    I'm still running into things I thought were just throw-away fillers, only to find out I was working on story-essentials.

But, if your rushed yourself to level 80 in the zerg-fest...   You missed it all...    And for those who did, I'm laughing at you.   You blew it.  You tossed away the most complex story MMO I have ever played, which includes TSW and SWTOR, for an end-game, power-tripping rush.

Now, is the game perfect?   No such thing.   All games are limited.  All games have bugs.  All games have trade-offs.   Those don't concern me unless they're crippling, like SWTOR's engine bug.   There is no such requirement that a game must be a certain way.   That's a false premise based solely on personal preferences and is not arguable or supportable in any rational fashion.

All that matters is that I've more than gotten my money's worth because I paid attention and played the game that is instead of trying to make it the game it's not -- the WoW Rush To End Game to Raid game.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by MosesZD

This is your typical opinion of some who only played the game in the shallowest way possible.   If he played it at all.  

Having played the story to the final dungeon from the Human and Norn paths as well as all the paths for all three orders (Vigil, Whispers, Priory) to at least level 76 I can tell you can't get the 'whole story' from one week's play.  Or one month's play.    I'm learning new things about the story from the Whispers/Sylvari play-through.   I'm learning things about story from my Asura/Priory play-through.  And I'm learning different new things from my human/priory play-through (the one at level 76).

Something I've seen, and virtually none of the haters have seen from their limited (if any) play-through is this game is hugely complex when it comes to the story.   There are a TON of threads that weave together.  

Each race has three sets of three choices on creation.   Guess what I've figured out.  Those threads weave in-and-out of the story for the entire game making each story different in both gross and subtle ways.   I saw things in my human story I didn't understand until I did my Sylvari story.  I saw things in my human story I didn't know where they came from until I did my Norn.   I saw things in my human story from the Norns that I didn't get in my Norn story, but I did experience in my daughter's Norn story when we teamed up.

The story in this game is a hell of a lot more complex than most people realize.    Even in the 70-level stories, which I'm on with my 3rd & 4th characters,  I'm still running into new things.  I'm still going "ah-ha!"    I'm still running into things I thought were just throw-away fillers, only to find out I was working on story-essentials.

But, if your rushed yourself to level 80 in the zerg-fest...   You missed it all...    And for those who did, I'm laughing at you.   You blew it.  You tossed away the most complex story MMO I have ever played, which includes TSW and SWTOR, for an end-game, power-tripping rush.

Now, is the game perfect?   No such thing.   All games are limited.  All games have bugs.  All games have trade-offs.   Those don't concern me unless they're crippling, like SWTOR's engine bug.   There is no such requirement that a game must be a certain way.   That's a false premise based solely on personal preferences and is not arguable or supportable in any rational fashion.

All that matters is that I've more than gotten my money's worth because I paid attention and played the game that is instead of trying to make it the game it's not -- the WoW Rush To End Game to Raid game.

The gameplay would need to be a LOT more fun to even consider playing more than one character through max level and full story completion.  Also, "you played it wrong" is not a very good argument for anything.  People play it how they want to.  If it's not fun playing the way they want to play, it's still not fun.  Telling them they played the game incorrectly isn't going to magically change that.  It's also likely they wouldn't enjoy themselves playing the "right" way, otherwise they would probably have played that way from the start.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         I'm in the same boat as teh OP..I havent bought it yet and am on the fence.......The majority of what I am hearing you guys say is that it is a fun game for 2-3 months then gets old really fast...Thats great and all but I can find those kind of games for free...No need to spend 60 dollars for that.....What I am looking for is a long term game (like a few years) and it doesn't sound like GW2 is what I am looking for either.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by MosesZD

The gameplay would need to be a LOT more fun to even consider playing more than one character through max level and full story completion.  Also, "you played it wrong" is not a very good argument for anything.  People play it how they want to.  If it's not fun playing the way they want to play, it's still not fun.  Telling them they played the game incorrectly isn't going to magically change that.  It's also likely they wouldn't enjoy themselves playing the "right" way, otherwise they would probably have played that way from the start.

Well, you can't play an FPS like you do and RTS or an MMO - right? Even some MMO's play different than other MMO's - like TSW, TERA and, GW2. I mean they are different enough that you have play them different to get some enjoyment out of them. It is not spurious argument - it is the point that if you just run point to point, like you do in Rift in GW2, you miss so much of the game (same can be said of Rift in some respects - exploration).

People usually play a particular category of game in a certain way, nothing wrong with that. But, if you don't get some enjoyment out and others are, wouldn't you try to play a different way? I am just asking because you seem to think (I could be wrong here - ask my wife how many times I am wrong - heh)  playing styles are written in stone and they aren't or we wouldn't enjoy all the different types of games we have.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    ...What I am looking for is a long term game (like a few years) and it doesn't sound like GW2 is what I am looking for either.

Well good luck with that. A few people manage to pull that off--mostly those playing an MMO for the first time--but with all the MMOs available now you're hoping for something that used to happen back in the days when there were only 4 or 5 MMOs to choose from. Every single MMO released now, without exception, sees a huge population decline after the first couple of months... it's the age of the content locust.

I've adjusted my expectations accordingly. Think of MMOs as something you play for 3 months--it's still a better value than the single player games when you think about it... if it grabs your attention longer than that, bonus!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Best mmo, I'm a gathcraftsplorer (yeah you read that right) and I love this thing. I gather the stuff to get the mats for everything i usually sell alot in the TP which is not too shabby on getting me the money i need. Despite people complaining that it's region wide instead of server only the prices are nice, they give a good amount, there are still items that are harder to find that if you collect enough and sell in bulk they have a nice return on them. 

I love how I can get the gear i want to improve damage and not worry over running a dungeon a mil bazil gazillion times for currency to get it. I love how I can customize the look of my toon to make him look unique compared to others (no cookie cutters here) and I especially love how the talent trees aren't cookie cutter either you can give yourself what you need to survive. I have a rogue that I use for farming in Orr that has healing/cond removal/vigor/faster run speed/longer stealth for running around, Most of the time most mobs can't catch me (if they do it's not for long) and I use the trap and thieves guild to keep them busy as i run away. It works out well (use her just for farming because she can cover the map quickly.)

There are still some items to be addressed but I've been impressed at how fast they have been banning the reported bots on my server. They have specific hangouts and the next day after reporting them they are gone. They are working on balance issues for PVE they are working on problems with some scout classes not being as powerful as the AOE heavy plate classes in PVE and I'm seeing them take the problems seriously in their forums. One guy in the engineering forum is making a list of all of the requests for kit abilities to be re-evaluated on the engineer, and they are working on bugs like clockwork in this game, never seen so many updates every week in any other title (notably never in a subscription title). It's very nice.

just because my thing is gathcraftsploring doesn't mean everyone has to play this way, people in my guild are always doing things like running dungeons, doing pvp in wvw, running the dragon meta chains etc. it's got lots to do.