Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Digging into Free-to-Play

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We recently took a tour of Star Wars: The Old Republic's upcoming free-to-play option and today we're bringing you all the details. Read on for our full preview!

If you’ve previously purchased the game, subscribed, purchased a physical SWTOR key fob, or if you spend a minimum of $5 in the Cartel Market, you will be upgraded to Preferred status. Preferred status players will see most of the aforementioned restrictions lessened to some extent, among other things. For example, you’ll be able to use Sprint at level one, you’ll gain the ability to trade with other players beginning at level 10, already bound Artifact quality items and mods will remain available for use, you’ll retain your inventory and cargo hold expansions, your Legacy unlocks or perks, and so on.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: Digging into Free-to-Play.

Comments

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    I think I will give it a chance. I hope they have made performance improvements in regards to crowding and lag.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I plan on trying it too.  I never did get to finish some of my personal stories because other projects popped up.  This will allow that, at least!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    It's a fun game bill you'll like it, played through it all! You going imperial or rebel ?
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Is it true that the free Cartel Coins that previous subscribers have earned are not available to players unless they re-subscribe?

I have "earned" 900 cartel coins but I won't be able to use them unless I re-subscribe? If it's true, that doesn't make much sense. If they want to reward early subscribers and thank them for their initial support and hopefully lure then back to the F2P game, making them subscribe in order to receive that reward is pretty sad.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Psychow

Is it true that the free Cartel Coins that previous subscribers have earned are not available to players unless they re-subscribe?

I have "earned" 900 cartel coins but I won't be able to use them unless I re-subscribe? If it's true, that doesn't make much sense. If they want to reward early subscribers and thank them for their initial support and hopefully lure then back to the F2P game, making them subscribe in order to receive that reward is pretty sad.

I don't see why this would be the case. Where did you hear this?

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Can anyone on PTS please help me with a doubt?

Im a PvE Operation and Flashpoints but I understand there is a weekly limit right? What is the price to unlock unlimited access to both?

Im a previous subscriber and box owner. Thanks

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by MikeB

Doesn't the email say that only active subscribers when the switch is made are eligible?

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

You have to be active subscriber at the time of launching F2P to get CC. It is believed that the date will be 11/14/12

Edit. They reward active subscribers, not every person who ever played the game. And I think it's a right choice.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Under the section labled Rewards Program:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20121107

Rewards Program

We also felt it was very important to thank our subscribers for being members of The Old Republic community. To reward all of you, we will grant Complimentary Cartel Coins to every player who has been a subscriber prior to the launch of the Free-To-Play option. The actual size of the grant will depend on how many months you were a paying subscriber prior to our announcement and after our announcement. There will also be special grants to those who purchased the Star Wars: The Old Republic Collector’s Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition. Want to know how many Complimentary Cartel Coins you have earned? Click here to find out! We are literally granting millions of dollars worth of Complimentary Cartel Coins as part of this program. But you’ll only receive a grant of Complimentary Cartel Coins if you’re an active subscriber when the Free-to-Play option goes live!

• motoratonmotoraton Member UncommonPosts: 42
    MMM i have only one question can u trade the items from the store? u can sell the unlocks to other players? if that can happen i think i will play the game,
    Originally posted by motoraton
    MMM i have only one question can u trade the items from the store? u can sell the unlocks to other players? if that can happen i think i will play the game,

Yes. It says this right in the article. :)

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

You have to be active subscriber at the time of launching F2P to get CC. It is believed that the date will be 11/14/12

Edit. They reward active subscribers, not every person who ever played the game. And I think it's a right choice.

How is that the right choice?  I payed for the game too.  Do you think there is anything the devs did or do wrong?  You try to spin everything they do around as being positive..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

No, you cannot "sell the unlocks" because those are "feature" purchases for your account.

The tradeable things are "item" purchases, such as gear or consumables, things which are sent to your inventory.

When you first get most cartel items, they are bound to you for a timeframe based on your account status. You will not be able to trade/mail/GTN the item(s) until that timer finishes, and it turns the item back from bound to bind on equip.

So answer is yes, but I am not sure what means the account status. I will try to find out.

Edit. The timeframe is different for subscribers, Preferred status and F2P. The shortest is for subscribers the longest for F2P. But after this time expires you can sell these items.

Edit 2: I don't think you can sell unlocks.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Skuz

No, you cannot "sell the unlocks" because those are "feature" purchases for your account.

The tradeable things are "item" purchases, such as gear or consumables, things which are sent to your inventory.

mm if u cant trade the unlocks, how the free player can get the unlocks -.-? only paying ? no other way?

that sucks :S the gear or consumables for what? if u can go to pvp more than 5 time per week? or cant go to raids :S

the other problem is limit credit for f2p so if u can buy one item  only for 200k no more so i think if the unlocks can sell for sure cost more then 200k 

Well, if they only award CC to whos subscribed at launch there will not be a whole lot of them.

I for one won't be back to this piece of trash if that is the case. In fact, I feel myself scammed. I paid 55euros for a box plus 3 month subscription and now I will be getting the same as anyone logging for the first time as a free subscriber. EA at it's best.

I will be glad to see this crap go down in a handfull of months and I understand each day better why all the "rats" jumped out of board over this game. 

There is a new article on massively posted today - and it confirms that the final date for F2P is November 15th,

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/08/swtor-launches-free-to-play-on-november-15th-no-rumor/

Originally posted by tryklon

Well, if they only award CC to whos subscribed at launch there will not be a whole lot of them.

I for one won't be back to this piece of trash if that is the case. In fact, I feel myself scammed. I paid 55euros for a box plus 3 month subscription and now I will be getting the same as anyone logging for the first time as a free subscriber. EA at it's best.

I will be glad to see this crap go down in a handfull of months and I understand each day better why all the "rats" jumped out of board over this game. 

I don't feel scammed.

What I do see is a potential positive "We are rewarding EVERYONE that was a previous subscriber with free Cartel Coins...literally millions of dollars worth!!" turned into a BIG NEGATIVE "but only if you are a subscriber..."

Seems pretty dumb. Why even offer the "free" cartel coins at all?

Originally posted by Skuz

mm if u cant trade the unlocks, how the free player can get the unlocks -.-? only paying ? no other way?

that sucks :S the gear or consumables for what? if u can go to pvp more than 5 time per week? or cant go to raids :S

the other problem is limit credit for f2p so if u can buy one item  only for 200k no more so i think if the unlocks can sell for sure cost more then 200k 

200 k in SWTOR is a great amount of money. LOL when I started to play I could never get to this limit until I got to level 50 and started dailies. Majority of orange gear on GTN costs from 5k to 15k, unless you want something fancy looking or rare like pants for inquisitor LOL. Also you are not loosing credits if you get above 200 k. They are going to escrow account and you can use it when you sub. F2P players will have to watch they credits and buy stuff when they get close to limit... that's that simple.

Edit. Item for more then 200 k are only at level 50 --- purple mods for ops etc.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

My concern with this game going F2P is not so much the cash shop, but I read they were limiting the amount of content you can do and be rewarded for on a weekly basis, and it seemed like the limitations were a bit much, like only being able to do 3 flashpoints a week, 2 space missions, etc.

Does this seem like it'd be a big issue from what you've seen?

Originally posted by Aviggin

My concern with this game going F2P is not so much the cash shop, but I read they were limiting the amount of content you can do and be rewarded for on a weekly basis, and it seemed like the limitations were a bit much, like only being able to do 3 flashpoints a week, 2 space missions, etc.

WHat I want to know is the price of those packs. Operations and Flashpoints unlock. Anyone knows it?

Ok that fine,  any try to put  Unlocks from the store in the galatic network on PTS?, like pass for more warfronts? or raid or something like that 
    Originally posted by Aviggin

You can do as many flashpoints as you want, full rewards are limited to 3 per week, not particiption. 3 space missions per week unless you unlock weekly pass.

The access to story is free, additional content is limited. You can enjoy the journey to 50 without need to pay a penny if you choose so, if you want to enjoy additional features you need to pay.

• GeladiusGeladius Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Was interested in this but really leary that they lock ui options away from free players.
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

When you first get most cartel items, they are bound to you for a timeframe based on your account status. You will not be able to trade/mail/GTN the item(s) until that timer finishes, and it turns the item back from bound to bind on equip.

So answer is yes, but I am not sure what means the account status. I will try to find out.

Edit. The timeframe is different for subscribers, Preferred status and F2P. The shortest is for subscribers the longest for F2P. But after this time expires you can sell these items.

Edit 2: I don't think you can sell unlocks.

You can indeed sell unlocks, including Weekly Warzone Passes.