Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Firefall: A PVE Fan’s MMOFPS

2»

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Playing the beta now too. Althought the current content is thin at best I will say that this game has some flat out fun combat mechanics. Typically I find mmofps to be too fps.  Basically most are just uber large map FPS games with little else making them an mmorpg. This game has found a nice balance but needs a TON more content before launch and I suspect will require a ton of post launch content to keep players happe.

Pretty solid game with very few bugs. Good addition to a "slightly different approach" mmo market if content keeps up.

You stay sassy!

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by Freezzo
    I didn't care for it really... It all felt quite artificial (mobs take several shots of a sniper rifle to kill, can't outrange them as they manage to reach you quickly) and the pvp side of stuff was impossible to snipe. People weren't moving in 2 but in 3 directions (x,y,z axis). Not my thing...

Speed is not artifical difficulty, I'm afraid to inform you.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Kebeck
    Originally posted by hfztt

If you look at Red 5's timeline for FIreFall you will see that beta will continue in 2013. My guess is the game wont go gold before late 2013 at the ealiest or more likely 2014. That said they are ramping up the monitization in the game. As long as they keep it fair I dont mind paying them for stuff in the beta, as long as I get to hold onto it after.

On the cool side they are letting players keep thier XP for the rest of beta and into gold. I guess this is to keep people playing the beta.

And last it would be hugely unfair to not mention how mcuh fun I am having with this game, even in its current rough state. Its a blast!

Not sure about the late 2013 part... Red5 already stated they were done with the character wiping.. Think they're pretty much done with the new "builds" (not sure if its the right term in this case).. So my guess is they'll get an open beta somewhat soon (before christmas imo) and call this "Launch"..

You might be right, but if you look at this link http://www.firefallthegame.com/game/ under the "WE'RE IN BETA" heading you will see that they refer to the game as being in closed beta until at least mid 2013. (Hover the mouse over the milestones.)

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

This is being developed by Red5 which is headed by the same fella (Mark Kern) that brought us our much beloved and missed Vanilla WoW and some BC WoW too I believe.  Also I do remember hearing about Orson Scott Card being involved as a story writer though I haven't heard anything on that in years.  Orson Scott Card is a Science Fiction writer probably most noted for the "Ender's Game" series.  When I played the beta, the mobs did resemble the formics from said series.

I would happily put $5 up to bet this will be a game that is a corner-stone of MMOs and a platform other companies will use in the future.  It's amazing to see it come in slow low on the radar at the moment while knowing the possibilities of the future.

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115

I have to say that the PvE bit is picking up it's pace since the next Milestone Patch is pure PvE content. They have already implemnted some of the dynamic events as Chosen invasions, Melding Tornados, Outposts being captured by the Chosen and More critters to kill.  

I have been in the beta for a bit over a year now and I have to say I love the development of the game so far.  

And by the way Red5 has the most awesome staff I have ever seen in any gaming studio ever. They are 110% devoted to have a close communication with the beta testers and also have a lot of in game events to test the game engine to it's limits. 

And the community have a lot of dedicated players and armies that have done a few realy great in game events that Red5 have been really impressed by, and have helped to make the event a way to test the servers and the dynamic events to it's limit. And the data they have collected from that is unique and really helpful for the developers.  

I am did also buy the founders pack even though I had beta access. I would pay even more then the 100$ for the commanders pack. But I have chosen to buy some red beans and baught all availeble items in the in game store, that is how much I love Red5.  

When it comes to PvP they are driven towards a hardcore esport crowd, and next year they will start a tournament with 1 Million USD in the pott. That is serious espott I have to say.  

And the tools that they have developed for the esport community is the best I have seen in any game. Just the built in tools to stream live and to replay matches and view the kills and action from 9 cameras, and you can follow players on the map, roam free with a camera, get a top view of the map, use a secondary screen with all 9 cameras to have an overview of al the action and click and show the action is just so simple. 

And the different classes in the game is super awesome there is one for all. And you only need one character since you can swap out the frame at any given time. Anyway I could go on and on about FireFall. 

And as far as I know they are going to implement open PvP in the game. Question is how they will do that. I am really curious about that. 

And I have access to Planetside 2, but for me it is just a repeat of Planetside in a new package with extra fluff on top. 

Sorry for all the misspelling and grammatically errors. 

Regards from Patsuriku

• gopegope Member Posts: 40
    they're free to pay system is a scam.