Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play older games if they just updated the graphics?

Comments

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

I think just a graphics update to modern graphics for several games wouldn't get me to come back still. Now single player games like Final Fantasy 4,6,7,and 8 yeah, but then again I would play em now anyways. But I imagine you're talking about mmos, to which, eh not so much. I didn't quit WoW, DAoC, EQ, etc because of the graphics. It was I had grown tired of the game. It was just another raid where you jumped counter clockwise instead of clockwise or clicked a purple icon instead of a red one.

Now if they took say, EQ, updated the graphics, had SOME modern mmo updates(auction house for instance, though not the map, the lack of the map made the world seem more real.) but avoid things like quest hubs(maybe keep EQs quests, but have a way to track em) and start from EQ classic,(Odus, Antonica, and Faydwer.) and I would probably pick it up. Granted thats basically making a new game though lol.

Which means in short, probably no, no I wouldn't. If for no other reason than getting started in say, EQ would be terrible since most of the Xpacs are ghost towns and obsolete. 

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

Simply put, Would you play older games if they JUST updated the graphics? nothing else would be changed.  EQ, FF11, DAoC etc

Im waiting for Darkfall: UW. Meanwhile, im playing on Trial account Dark Age of Camelot. Im testing all the classes i can until lvl 20 or so. Not much in the mood for hardcore gaming atm since DF is 1st choice. 

If DF will suck i will return to DAOC but i will still play all the new mmo. I find it hard to believe, but DAOC Is the best game ever, 2nd place FF11, 3rd place everything else. 

FF14: ARR sounds promising too!

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    No. I only play old games if they are really good. Old MMOs weren't that good.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    EQ - original rules and only up to Velious expansion
    SWG pre CU
    DAOC original

Make any of these with DX 9 or better world and character models - fresh servers and I wouldn't even look at any other games

I left all three because of the horrid changes to the game , not graphics -
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

No... see, updating graphics in many cases (given its a major change) usually alienates those old players who actually enjoyed the game and can actually make it harder to draw people in. Graphics aren't the only factor in a game and an older game will usually have mechanics in place that limit it. The graphics would only be a distraction that would likely make it worst off as nostologia is in part taken away making it harder to come back and enjoy the game.

Again, not ALL cases but in many this typically would be a problem. That being said, if they made another game using similiar basis and updating the graphics AND gameplay, then it can draw in a lot, its just not worth it if your just pasting it on an old game.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by inmysights
    If they updated the graphics to EQ 1, I would re-sub before I finished this sentence!imageimage

That would be the game I would go back to. Well, I think I would haha!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

The problem with old games isn't just the graphics though. It is also the dated engine (which limits upgrades anyway) and the fact most of those old games are no longer the game they once were anyway expecially if they are themepark games.

Would l play a visually improved vanilla Wow that then decides to expand into a more sandbox style direction? Ya probably. This issue though is that the game today is nothing like when it was launched. All the expansions did was replace content and rarely actually added to it. You still leveled through maps you rarely went back to and tried to get to the latest and greatest raid ... no matter what expansion was added. All previous content became mostly pointless.

Now a game like Asheron's Call or true sandbox games where the world map is always in play and relevant ... ya those games would be pretty damn fun to head back to. Only if they were upgraded from the engine forward. This means you basically got a new game anyway so of course it is worth trying.

You stay sassy!

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Lineage 1 with better grahics = Lineage Eternal, ho yes.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    there are games i've never played that i would try.  eq1,  vanguard.  but i would would probably not revisit a game. 
  • HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

I would probably give it a look. (Being a nostalgia freak)

I would remember old days/whatever and (within 30-60 minutes) accept the fact that when I left the game originally it wasnt because of gfx, performance or the ability to use ingame FB or Twitter features but simply because... Game was old/over/played!

Basically: Dead game is... dead! The remaining 10 zombies that repeatedly beat the poor dead pony to make it appear animated will stick with their hopes, but  pony-beater #11 and #12 are only showing up for a short while, checking out the improbed ponybeating stick!

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Trudge34
    Graphics aren't the reason I ended up quitting EQ...but I would go back if they updated the graphics AND started fresh with the original and maybe Kunark and Velious, but not releasing any expansions for quite a while after that. 

Same here. I'm with you on that...

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Short version: NO.

Long version:   Bad graphics by themself can prevent me from coming back.  Good graphics by themself cannot bring me back.

In example UO would have to be redone alot for me to come back.  Devs would have to completly throw away dependance on macroing like it was in example for alot of crafting / mining, but at same time not cut out those complex crafting and economy.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Dogloks

I would play Asherons Call (DT) in a heartbeat if they did a new server and had the equivalent of WoW graphics/UI.

In all my years of MMO playing nothing has come even close to the satisfaction and enjoyment of AC Darktide...

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.....

Yeah, I'd come back real quick

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Vion1x

I'm playing Quake live (Quake 3 free in a web browser) so i guess that answer it for me :)

Graphics = 10%

gameplay = 90%

Thats my personal view on it.

Maybe so but i refuse to play a game that is aesteticaly outdated. If you played something up to date you get spoiled and dont look the same on the old game anymore whether you like it or not.

But backto the topic.

I would love to play Atlantica Online that is not P2W and looks 2012 not 2002 :) Its serious turn off for me, esp during tactical mode or world view. Battle view is still bearable.

Other one ? Eq2 maybe. Love the game lots of nice content but its soooooooooo aged everything looks plastic and fake in this day and age. Cant touch it like this.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Simply put, Would you play older games if they JUST updated the graphics? nothing else would be changed.  EQ, FF11, DAoC etc

Nope.

Their gameplay system is out of date.

Won't play a game without LFD, instances, cross realm grouping, fast travel, mini-map ... and better combat mechanics.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Has anyone ever said they left a game because the graphics became dated?

Considering most MMO's today don't retain players long enough for the graphics to get to that point, I'd say no.

That said, a lot of the older games that the OP mentions (and tons of people wax on about nostalgically), would be great examples of games that would benefit from updated graphics engine.

this guy understands

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Not just the graphics. They'd have to give the games a full facelift. Leaving all the good content and upgrading things such as the UI, engine upgrade, and add more new content.

I'd play AC1 and UO in a heartbeat if they were given a facelift, and DAOC if the game had a facelift and was Pre-TOA, wouldn't play it if it weren't pre-TOA though.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I know for fact i'd go back and play FF11 (with 14 graphics) and UO
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    i would if...

they would also restart new servers
    advanced technics in the background for example ones that reduce lag when a lot of players are around
    and some minor tweaks which make game betrer because also the old games werent perfect
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    then i would play AO and SWG again

i would also play AoC again when they would start a new server and change some things. funny game
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

When Anarachy Online finally gets a new engine ill probally give that another go..

Also if UO or shadowbane ever came back with up to date graphics i would be there like a flash..

So yes.. yes i would.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I would be playing FFXI right now if this happened.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I would like to see EQ1 with updated graphics.

Although realistically it would also need a UI overhaul to match.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by muffins89
    there are games i've never played that i would try.  eq1,  vanguard.  but i would would probably not revisit a game. 

Vanguard with graphics / UI that werent terrible would be amazing. The code in that game is horrendous.

• zombiecyborgzombiecyborg Member Posts: 8
    I'd really like to play Anarchy Online again. But at the rate they're working on the graphics engine, it ain't happening anytime soon.