Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of subbing, old EQ player

Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Hey guys. I downloaded the free version of EQ2 a while back right around when GW2 came out. Been playing GW2 and enjoying it, but always looked at it as a side game. It's a fantastic MMO but I don't think there's enough to keep me around long term. While waiting for EQNext, I'm trying to find somewhere I can call home for a while. TESO has me more than a little disappointed from what I've been hearing in that it's only Elder Scrolls in lore and setting. Was hoping we'd be hearing news about TESO like we have lately about EQN but what can you do...

Anyways, I've been thinking about subbing to this game for a while now. Tried out a character on Freeport as just one of the free race / class combos and it seemed interesting. The character customization is unreal and I know I've only scratched the surface. If I'm looking to play, I will sub but wanted to get some more information. 

I miss a lot of the old raids and dungeons from EQ1, is there something here that will be familiar to me in that regard? I've come to accept instances...so those won't bother me in this game really.

Are the expansions worth getting? It would cost me about 60 bucks to get current as of right now...and I know there's another expansion coming out soon.

Are there any classes in demand later in the game? I've been interested in rolling up a Beastlord as I thought the concept was cool in EQ1. Had a Warrior and tanked many raids on there so never really got the opportunity to do much else, although I loved tanking and would do it again easily here.

Thanks guys, looking forward to hearing some responses.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
80 Sylvari Ranger

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Most of the expansions are already included (EQ and EQ2 alike), all but the last couple. You will need Age of Discovery to create a Beastlord or hire a mercenary. The other expanion (blanking on the name at the moment) is high level content.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Right now the current expansion is Destiny of Velious. Age of Discovery was released after Velious but it is a feature packed expansion. Basically it lets you play the Beastlord class.

The new expansion coming out in November is called Chains of Eternity. Do NOT buy Velious now because it will become free once the new expansion comes out. AFter that point you will want to buy Age of Discovery and the new expasion. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• insideout321insideout321 Member Posts: 71

Check your mmorpg.com messages i just sent you some info on a guild im forming tonight .

Im returning after a year break and had played for 5 years before this.

You might be interested im starting over at lvl one myself. This will be my second guild here the other one disbanded after the sony hack but im starting over fesh kinda like yourself. Im 36 , casual guild, mature, casual raiding later, drama free.

Tight knit family like and it wont be getting to huge so you become a number. Questing, Heritage questing, Crafting , Voice chat, and everything else you can think of.

Thanks..

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll probably buy the Age of Discovery expansion as the Mercs along with the class I'd most likely play is in it. Looking forward to checking out a newer Norrath while more info of EQN comes out. :)

Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• bedrock1977bedrock1977 Member UncommonPosts: 38

Trudge, how goes it so far? I was actually thinking the same exact thing over a week ago. I played EQ before my longer stint in DAoC, but always wondered about EQII. How good is the actual free portion of the game in your opinion?

Rick

Played: DAoC 6 years, WoW 2 years, Ultima/EQ 1+ years, AoC/Aion/Rift/SWTOR a few months
    Tried: Warhammer, EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and many, many others...
    Currently Playing: DAOC 

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

It's going pretty good. Having only played EQ1 for any length of time there's an overwhelming amount of content and stuff to do. Going to take a bit to get up to speed. Playing on the Crushbone server.

Sorry, forgot the rest of your post lol. The free portion, IMO, isn't bad. There's a decent variety of classes to at least check the game out and play. I think you're limited to what gear and how much cash and bag space you have, but you can get a good start on a character that way I think.

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    If you plan to play free for any length of time at all, you will want to be at Silver; it doesn't remove all freebie restrictions, but it significantly mitigates them. Even if you are not playing yet, create a Station account and get on the appropriate email list. That way, you will hear when SOE runs double and triple Station Cash events (usually around holidays). The bonus SC will help you buy the other classes and races on the (relative) cheap.
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Welcome back! Well there is a ton of content to do so you will not be unhappy with that. As others said i would wait until tomorrow and buy the Chanins of Eternity expansion as that contains DOV there is also a big chance that AoD will drop to $19.99 soon as it is not a "new" expansion anymore.

The most important this is that you find an established guild with lots of players, there are usually a couple of big leveling guilds on most servers, later as you level up you may want to look a guild more specific to your tastes.

There are tons of raids and dungeons all the way up, the big problem is usually to find people to do them with.

As for classes needed in the endgame, Dirges, Wardens (sometimes Mystics and Defilers), Enchanters. Wayyyyyy to many of Inquisitors  & Shadowknights. There are lots of Beastlords but I think they somewhat disappeared after everyone leveled up one to 92.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I too just started EQ2 as it has got to have mountains of content at this point.  It's taking a while to get used to some of the systems they put in place as almost anti EQ1 (which I loved).  OP be prepared to be shocked at the difference between combat in GW2 and EQ2, as I'm playing GW2 as a side game, and it's an adjustment.  Everyone knows they are far different but EQ2 combat is even slower and more awkard than WoW.

I am leaning to appreciate it for what it is and level up most of the way FTP. I may consider getting AoD as there are some really nice features that would fun during the leveling process, unlike some of the expansions that are endgame only.  

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Well for those all wondering the new xpac is out on Thursday and if I read correctly if you get that xpac it includes DoV(high lvl 86+content) If you want a merc or to play Beastlord you still have to buy AoD.