Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

David Braben is kickstarting a new multiplayer Elite sequel

2»

Comments

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by xaritscin

when i was searching for an space sim to play while out from EVE, i heard about it, but when i saw the article in wikipedia  the article didnt say nothing about how many ships you could have or what other activities where apart from fighting and trading.

i actually like mining, i have a Retriever (pre-Inferno fitted), in Evochron i was a miner too, it would be cool if the mining lasers could just destroy de asteroid slowly and then one could use the tractor to put them in the bay. or use drones which recover the rocks.

it gives realism, but again, i dunno how would this affect the market.  AKF mining cannot be avoided also, people always get ways to do it.

but i would like to have a whole fleet of mining ships which devour asteroids. maybe not for commerce but for manufacturing my own ones.

i think a good space sim should let you design your own ship with its own modules and put the price depending on them (Shores of Hazeron does this already, but ship construction is made in planet based factories, i mean, building an space shipyard and manufacture the ships there).

I don't think the technology back in those days (Elite was 1985 and Frontier/First Encounter was back in 1995 arounds) allows for ownership of more than one ship.

X series actually introduced that concept.

I think a lot of space-sim players problem with Eve was mostly the combat and flight controls of Eve. It feels too much like Star Trek (in terms you are more managing a ship than playing it). Had they gone for more Elite/Wing Commander/X-Wing vs TIE's style of combat I feel Eve would have been the top 1 or 2 mmos in any genre in the world right now.

And yes I agree a good space sim should have manufacturing and economy-of-mass, hence why X series in itself is another revolution in the space genre (it introduced 4X and improved on the concept of Elite) and Eve is the most current stage of that revolution (it introduced territory/world control and politics and improved on the concept of X series).