Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Dev Journal] The Secret World: First Raid Revealed - The Manhattan Exclusion Zone

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,632MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Funcom has partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers the first ever exclusive look at the raid soon to be incoming in The Secret World. Penned by the raid's designer, Graeme Lennon, the blog post gives inside information about the new raid. Read on and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Like so many things in TSW, this raid was conceptualized a very long time ago, in early pre-production, as a part of the grand vision of the story arc. Imagery based on the events you'll soon be playing through were probably some of the first things you ever saw about the game. My intention was to give players the feeling they were actually playing through some of our early teaser videos, that they had truly become the heroes we were showing in those clips. After “fun” and “awesome”, of course. Those always come first!

Read more of Graeme Lennon's The Secret World: First Raid Revealed - The Manhattan Exclusion Zone.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• johnnychangsjohnnychangs Rockland, MEPosts: 249Member Uncommon
    I thought this went in with the October update.  Another reason why cancelling back in August was a good idea.
  • HluillHluill Lovingston, VAPosts: 105Member Uncommon
    Cool stuff.  I wish I had the stomach for raiding...

Hluill, a barbarian rogue, and his Warrior-daughter, Leyek
    Playing/Subscribing: TSW, LotRO, EQ2, and SWTOR
    Played: GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO

• saxifrsaxifr East Hartford, CTPosts: 381Member Common
    How many weeks or months ago was this supposed to be released again?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• DrolkinDrolkin Palio, NBPosts: 242Member

Already unsubbed but will check the game out again when they release Tokyo, maybe.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd CrawleyPosts: 1,123Member
    Ignoring the whinney old goats above (Who I think would complain if they won the Lottery Jackpot!) this is a good addition and worth the wait.
  • spawn12345spawn12345 MalmöPosts: 139Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by saxifr

it was supposed to release this month since they first announced it.. I dont know what you are talking about

It was always meant for patch 1.4

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc nottinghamPosts: 378Member
    Originally posted by saxifr

1 week ago.  Gratz on your comment -1

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

Originally posted by johnnychangs
    I thought this went in with the October update.  Another reason why cancelling back in August was a good idea.

So you would cancel a game as the updqe was 7 days late?  How do you live in the real world?

• nationalcitynationalcity Decatur, MIPosts: 330Member Uncommon

hehe, just like someone said above it just gives people a reason to complain...

Oh and believe me they will about anything and everything....

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,279Member Uncommon

Gratz to the TSW team. These guys are moving things along very nicely. I can't wait to see what this game looks like next year.

TSW is getting better, you can't deny that, and if they keep this pace, oh boy. As it stands Funcom is second only to  RIFT in pace of content updates. Good Job Joel, keep it coming.

ps - now give me meh pvp! :p

Originally posted by bcbully

Gratz to the TSW team. These guys are moving things along very nicely. I can't wait to see what this game looks like next year.

TSW is getting better, you can't deny that, and if they keep this pace, oh boy. As it stands Funcom is second only to  RIFT in pace of content updates. Good Job Joel, keep it coming.

ps - now give me meh pvp! :p

Big PVP update/changes in 1.4 I believe.

• warhippowarhippo LondonPosts: 2Member
    To all the complaining folks who un-subbed... please, do not feel the need to come back, I am sure you will hate it. And try to avoid commenting on the game you no longer play too. A win-win for all concerned.
  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,215Member Uncommon

I think making a raid was a bad move on their part.  It's expensive content to create and really lazy design to try and encourage group play.

This game has so much potential for doing non-standard things.  Why a raid?  I've read this is an experiment and it will be interesting to watch how the content fares.  In my opinion, it's a mistake.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad BucharestPosts: 250Member Uncommon
    I'm willing to come back for this one, but I'm having the hardest time finding a progression guild on European time. This was somewhat of an issue even at launch, but I think it's reaaaally a major problem now. Hope the devs release more "candy" for players so that many of them resub this month...
  • spawn12345spawn12345 MalmöPosts: 139Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I think making a raid was a bad move on their part.  It's expensive content to create and really lazy design to try and encourage group play.

This game has so much potential for doing non-standard things.  Why a raid?  I've read this is an experiment and it will be interesting to watch how the content fares.  In my opinion, it's a mistake.

Funcom devs think the same

Thats why they arent concentrating on raids as much as other mmo's. It will be like 1 raid per year, if even that

But they will be awesome and unique

• RaulBlueRaulBlue Springfield, MAPosts: 21Member
    Omg complainers there still monthly updates. We got Issue 3 in middle of Oct then when halloween roll around the event started. 2 Epic Quests with a nice boss fighht and sweet prizes love my Flith Kitty.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,537Member Uncommon

Totally forgot that this game even existed.

Does it still have a box price, subscription and in game cash shop?

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Posts: 847Member Uncommon
    Not played this for a while - has anything been done about the combat mechanics, which where clunky to say the least?
  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Looks good but I wont ever buy this game untill they bring down the EU subscription price . From what I saw of it in beta its just about worth a standard sub but certainly no more .
  • leovinousleovinous salem, ORPosts: 38Member

Yaevindusk writes:

Totally forgot that this game even existed.

Does it still have a box price, subscription and in game cash shop?

Yes it does, and so does Wow, now move along

Have you not read the Bible?
    Oh, yeah, yeah... Not all of it. Actually, I'm listening to it on tape.
    Don't tell me how it ends.

• nuttobnuttob Plantation, FLPosts: 291Member
    Can't wait for TOKYO!!!!
  • TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Deeter
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]This topic has already been covered.

You stay sassy!

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,215Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by Deeter
    This game needed to go F2P like yesterday.

Or perhaps you needed a job previous to even that. This topic has already been covered.

It should have been B2P with a cash shop.  It's a good looking game.  If it were B2P I would definitely have it on my hardrive.

• OrtwigOrtwig Cambridge, MAPosts: 1,159Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by spawn12345
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Funcom devs think the same

Thats why they arent concentrating on raids as much as other mmo's. It will be like 1 raid per year, if even that

But they will be awesome and unique

Devs have also stated progression will be mostly horizontal going forward.  Vertical progression treadmill is something TSW is working to avoid, and they are looking for alternatives  to the inifnite grind. 

• DraronDraron A town in, KYPosts: 993Member

Game gives you content for your sub. Nothing wrong with that. If it was a B2P game it'd be like GW2 - 4 months after launch and TSW has introduced way more content at a faster pace even after selling 1/10th it did.

Edit: The above isn't hating on GW2, just using it as an example as it's obviously the most recent and popular B2P game.