Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] The Secret World: First Raid Revealed - The Manhattan Exclusion Zone

2»

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Tried this game just for the heck of it and now it's my main MMO.  Can't tell you how refreshing this game is in so many ways.  While it's definitely not perfect, it's enough to keep me around for a long time.  I agree that it should go F2P though, just to bring in more of a crowd and bring more life in.  the Themepark Tycoon mission in Savage Coast (where you ride the roller coaster) was the final nail in my coffin to make this the game for me - best quest / mission ever in an mmo I've played.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

I love the artwork of the new raid and am excited. I think its also great, that they are not going the way of higher equip and more epics.

But the most important part for me will be new fusang 2.0 and later on Tokio. There are lots of stories to be told, and this is what makes TSW such an outstanding game for people who like that. Kudos again to their dedication and the speed in which the updates come popping out.

Hodor!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    I can see myself getting TSW at the anniversary of launch, by then the end game will be spuced up enough.
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Margulis
     the Themepark Tycoon mission in Savage Coast (where you ride the roller coaster) was the final nail in my coffin to make this the game for me - best quest / mission ever in an mmo I've played.

I loved that mission image

• mrkit73mrkit73 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Totally forgot that this game even existed.

• leovinousleovinous Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Thorgrimm

This game is awesome. [mod edit]  The Haters likely never played the game or quit during Beta.  It has been rock solid since launch on a well-built machines.  The Dreamworld engine was never intended for Wal-Mart specials. 

I played throughout Beta, and it is obvious that several of the Metacritic reviewers either had a hate-on for Funcom, only played in early-Beta, or never played at all.  The dialog of their reviews is self-explanatory.  One of the reviewers did not even have the release date right, and quite a few admitted their reviews were of Beta content.  I will never trust G4 again after their biased Beta review.  They will not even go back for a re-review on released content to update or correct it.  Player reviews are much higher than the biased Metacritic scores.  How much is the going rate for slamming a competitors product to boost your own Metacritic ratings nowadays?

I would not worry about G4, they are shutting down here in a year or so, after they cancled xplay...karma i guess

Have you not read the Bible?
    Oh, yeah, yeah... Not all of it. Actually, I'm listening to it on tape.
    Don't tell me how it ends.

• bigronbigron Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Ren128

Well, I'm glad the raid can be done by a group without everyone being decked out in 10.3 epics. Having said that, you probably find it hard to find a pug without being 10.3 given the prevalent elitism in TSW.

Another thing which I like is the 32 hour cooldown on the raid, rather than a weekly lockout.

The community is still like this? I played TSW beta, it was terrible (it's improved quite a lot since then, from what I've heard) but any criticism of the game even then  was met with compete incredulity on the Beta forums.

At that point, half the quests (not kidding, literally @50% of the quests) were bugged. If you asked for help in chat circumventing a bug, people would act like it was your fault and say things like "Go play WoW". The graphics were pretty bad too (I have a high end PC, so it looked like 2003ish graphics to me). And it launched w/out pvp or raids (and apparently still doesn't have raids). The combat was also pretty bland and reminded me of GW, though I hear they're adding reticle combat.

The game itself I'm sure will probably be pretty decent a year or two after launch, but the community is a turn-off. Is in-game chat really like this too e.g. unhelpful and elitist?

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Honestly if you find the right Guild your gear score doesn't matter. Few weeks ago another guild tried to poach me onto their progression guild because i was "compitent" even though i was in 10.1's So really, find the right people, Prove you know what your doing, and you will have a group for whenever you need it. I've always hated pugs, to me they seem to be the people who cannot possibly survive on their own without the best gear so they assume thats the standard. People ask for 10.4's to run the opening nightmare, Sorry but if you need that to win ya gotta suck at the game.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by bigron
    Originally posted by Ren128

Well, I'm glad the raid can be done by a group without everyone being decked out in 10.3 epics. Having said that, you probably find it hard to find a pug without being 10.3 given the prevalent elitism in TSW.

Another thing which I like is the 32 hour cooldown on the raid, rather than a weekly lockout.

The community is still like this? I played TSW beta, it was terrible (it's improved quite a lot since then, from what I've heard) but any criticism of the game even then  was met with compete incredulity on the Beta forums.

At that point, half the quests (not kidding, literally @50% of the quests) were bugged. If you asked for help in chat circumventing a bug, people would act like it was your fault and say things like "Go play WoW". The graphics were pretty bad too (I have a high end PC, so it looked like 2003ish graphics to me). And it launched w/out pvp or raids (and apparently still doesn't have raids). The combat was also pretty bland and reminded me of GW, though I hear they're adding reticle combat.

The game itself I'm sure will probably be pretty decent a year or two after launch, but the community is a turn-off. Is in-game chat really like this too e.g. unhelpful and elitist?

Sigh.  You'll find elitism in every game ever published if you look for it.  There are plenty of cabals who are casual and many groups who specifically are looking for new players not necessarily decked out in elite gear.  Just stop focusing in on the leets, and you'll be fine -- might even try advertising for a friendly "non-expert" group to check out the dungeons and raid just to see how it goes.  Often, if you're just up front about what you are looking for rather than wait for people to come to you, you'll find someone who wants to do the same thing.  BTW, lots of CoH refugees coming over to TSW, and those are some of the nicest folks ever -- TSW has a really great community.