Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vs. Mortal Online?

Alright, experienced in every type of MMO but ones that really grab me are sandbox's. I'm looking to play Darkfall but I never have gotten into the gameplay, since the akwardness.  Has any of this been fixed (UI stuff.)  Also I really enjoyed Mortal Online but the community was so small and the world was to big, so how does this compare community wise.  Is there more active people than Mortal?

Can neone list some pros and cons compared to mortal online?

Comments

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by DarkGremio

Alright, experienced in every type of MMO but ones that really grab me are sandbox's. I'm looking to play Darkfall but I never have gotten into the gameplay, since the akwardness.  Has any of this been fixed (UI stuff.)  Also I really enjoyed Mortal Online but the community was so small and the world was to big, so how does this compare community wise.  Is there more active people than Mortal?

They have redone the UI,  added third person and Darkfall has alway been more popular.  The first Darkfall sold 5-6x times the copies vs MO.  UW will be a new game!

• Dogmadude360Dogmadude360 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    It's hard to say if anything at all is fixed or not. They aren't releasing whole heaps of information on the game. It's more of a trickle. Also the NDA for people who are in the beta, or whatever you call it is likely still on. I don't know that for sure, it's speculation since I can't find any information on it. Mostly what i'm trying to say is, if you have ever played darkfall and have an account with the game you can get Darkfall Unholy wars for the subscription price, which is going to be 15.00 or less. If that is worth checking it out to you, that's probably your best bet. Personally I've been digging and digging about the UI and how it looks only to find tiny scraps of info they have leaked out so far.
  • YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    The majority of MO players will be playing here, just look on their forums.  That says enough.  They even took down the other games section for a week because of it.  
    Originally posted by Dogmadude360
     I've been digging and digging about the UI and how it looks only to find tiny scraps of info they have leaked out so far.

Did you watch the videos?

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

The only real similarity between DF and MO is that both of them are non-instanced, open world FFA PVP games with full loot.

MO has more "sandbox" stuff on its feature list, but since most of it isn't working properly the game is less enjoyable than DF imho. Sure, I had some fun times in MO back in the day but it felt like I spent more time fighting bugs, waiting for cs, waiting for server restarts, etc than actually playing the game. I can't count all the loot I lost due to bugs and crashes.

Also, none of the overly complicated stuff they've added has added anything substantial to the gameplay - with butchery, cooking, sleeping, etc it just became a hassle to play. And becasue all of the cool-sounding "sandbox" features are nothing but boring, repetitive grinds, MO remained a PVP game first and foremost. And since SV keep fucking up things like mounts, weapons, movement, desync and so on, PVP is a mess too.

DF is a much simpler and more straightforward game, and it lacks depth and complexity in the "sandbox" department. Still, what it does it does well: combat is fast-paced and fun, mob AI is light years ahead of MO's "revolutionary" AI, PVP is intense, the game supports huge battles (MO melts when more than 20 players enter the screen), but most important of all: AV can actually code, while SV are a bunch of amateurs. Playing DF feels like playing an AAA game when you've spent some time in Mortal.

• hasao0012hasao0012 Member Posts: 5

another difference is the game is still alive

Mortal has 3 or so months before it will be shut down because they only have 10-15 players left after everyone quite because SV is curroupt as fuck

and to the guy saying Mortals map was big... your joking right? it wasnt even a 4th of the size of darkfalls only seemed it because there was no world map

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by hasao0012

Mortal has 3 or so months before it will be shut down because they only have 10-15 players left after everyone quite because SV is curroupt as fuck

and to the guy saying Mortals map was big... your joking right? it wasnt even a 4th of the size of darkfalls only seemed it because there was no world map

People have been saying this since MO launched lol... MO has lasted a lot longer than some of the silly wow clones that have come out over the years..

Darkfall and MO are different types of games really.. sure they are similar in the fact that they are both open world full loot PVP games.

MO i guess is more in depth and more hardcore than Darkfall. Combat is slower than darkfall I guess similar in style to mount and blade but not quite as good. Darkfall on the other hand is realle fast pased more like playing an fps game like quake.

MO should have been a really really good game but for some reason the devs cant get a handle on worknig with the unreal engine and most things they do turn out to be buggy as hell.. shame really as when you get into MO the game can actualyl be quite fun.. at some point i was even running two accounts..

Darkfall has always been good fun really its a lot easier to get into than MO but its still a full loot PVP game.. waht put people off was that when the game origionally launched some people exploited everything they could to lvl their character up and it created a massive inbalance on the server and from the point on everyone was just trying to catch up.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    The original Darkfall and MO can becompared as they both are hardcore and somewhat, "sim."  The new Darkfall is quite toned down on the hardcore aspects and really can't be compared to MO.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by afhn2110
    The original Darkfall and MO can becompared as they both are hardcore and somewhat, "sim."  The new Darkfall is quite toned down on the hardcore aspects and really can't be compared to MO.

The new darkfall is quite toned down on the hardcore aspects? Quite toned down sounds like a lot. I havent read or seen any gameplay vids that directly indicates this. Just because changes and limitations are added doesnt mean it makes the overall experience less hardcore as theres always more sideeffects.

Sure there has been some changes, but for instance if you want access to the best nodes you'll have to go to risk areas - pvp safe areas near cities have no nodes with rare drops. Yes they added roles, but it wasnt any more hardcore before simply because everyone was specced the same (flavor of the year) and fought the same depending on the situation. On top of this they made the gameplay easier with scripts and macros. Pluss they even removed the instant casts now.

I'd still say DF is a hardcore game in the sense that it requires dedicated players to succeed, not being afraid to take a hit to the head.

MO has a lot of features that dont work, the majority of Darkfalls work.

AVENTURINE has the money, people and talent to make things happen.  Well, we all know how the "expansions" turn out over at Starvault.

Darkfall UW will have a healthy player base, Mortal Onlines will get even worse.

Darkfall supports large scale battles, Mortal Online doesnt.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I actual left darkfall to try mortal for a few months, and I have revisited Darkfall a few times but mortal hasnt even been installed on my machine for a year or so. I am not saying mortal was a bad game but much like gw2, I just havent felt compelled to log on in a long time
  • hasao0012hasao0012 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Caldrin

People have been saying this since MO launched lol... MO has lasted a lot longer than some of the silly wow clones that have come out over the years..

Darkfall and MO are different types of games really.. sure they are similar in the fact that they are both open world full loot PVP games.

MO i guess is more in depth and more hardcore than Darkfall. Combat is slower than darkfall I guess similar in style to mount and blade but not quite as good. Darkfall on the other hand is realle fast pased more like playing an fps game like quake.

MO should have been a really really good game but for some reason the devs cant get a handle on worknig with the unreal engine and most things they do turn out to be buggy as hell.. shame really as when you get into MO the game can actualyl be quite fun.. at some point i was even running two accounts..

Darkfall has always been good fun really its a lot easier to get into than MO but its still a full loot PVP game.. waht put people off was that when the game origionally launched some people exploited everything they could to lvl their character up and it created a massive inbalance on the server and from the point on everyone was just trying to catch up.

ur right people HAVE been saying that... but then again SV has never fucked up THIS bad...

MO sucks major ass.... the PROTOTYPE they posted vids of is a BETTER game then the 1 currently out

ur right people HAVE been saying that... but then again SV has never fucked up THIS bad...

MO sucks major ass.... the PROTOTYPE they posted vids of is a BETTER game then the 1 currently out

What are you talking about? Are you getting AV and SV confused?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

DF pros:

it actually feels like a finished game. after playing MO, DF is like a flawless diamond Swiss watch (take that Henrik).

huge magic selection, with many spells that let you: walk on water, launch you up in the air, let you walk up walls, trap people mid air, not to mention a ton of damage and utility options.

boats and naval combat, that's right you can be a pirate if you want.

incredible NPC AI and world bosses. DF has by far one of the smartest AI arround. killing mobs is actually challenging.

global bank and limitless bank space (if you are into that). 

no ghost scouting. when you die in DF you get a minute or so where peopel can rez you and then you get spawned back at the stone you were binded to. there is no ghost mechanic like in MO.

a much bigger, much livelier, much more diverse world than MO.

combat in DF is actually skill based, you don't have to fight against the prediction system or the millions of combat related bugs that are in MO. exploiting is also  a LOT less prevalent in DF as the game code is much much better than MO's.

Did i mention how incredibly better DF plays than MO?

DF cons:

non existing taming system. you farm steed grass and you "manufacture" horses. you also put them in your bag when you are not riding them :S. you can however steal other people's mounts if they don't put them in their bags.

no first person melee. the whole melee system in DF is pretty basic. one button to swing, one button to block.

almost non existant mounted combat. it's there but so usless nobody even bothers.  

preset buildling slots. you do not decide how and where to build. Cities spots are already "pre made" and so are all the buildings that go in each slot. MO definately has more freedom  when it comes to building stuff.

no hunger system.

graphics are older styel then MO. hopefully animations and character modles are updated in UW.

no thiefing mechanics.

not much in the way of territory control, once you build/take over the castle you own that land arround. there are no tower that you have to build like in MO. DF territory control is actually very simple when compared to MO's.

at times the combat does feel a lot more like a huge Halo fight with all the magic AoEs and rays and stuff....hopefully magic won't be so prevalent in UW as it was in DF1.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

A great answer.  I will just +1 this one.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Why are we comparing a game that  WILL be closed in two weeks to anything? image (darkfall 1.0)

There's isnt enough information regarding Darkfall-Unholy Wars

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Mortal is the hardcore option.  Local banking, no classes, no teleports, sandbox crafting, mounted combat, thievery, in-town killing, etc.  But it's buggy as shit, not solo friendly at all, filled with economy destroying dupes and has a low population.  Mortal appears to be on its last leg.

Darkfall:UW is the game you want.  With a 60+ dev staff as opposed to Mortal's 5 person staff you will see an entirely different level of polish.  DF:UW will be highly populated and filled with action.  I wish it were going a bit more hardcore, but a game is only fun if it has people.

• ExzyzExzyz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I used to love MO but its broken so im done with it. I will try this and if it sucks I will be very sad.
  • reacaerreacaer Member Posts: 18
    The main difference with MO is that Mortal will be dead (for good) as soon as DF:UW gets released
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by ayronamic
    Originally posted by afhn2110

The new darkfall is quite toned down on the hardcore aspects? Quite toned down sounds like a lot. I havent read or seen any gameplay vids that directly indicates this. Just because changes and limitations are added doesnt mean it makes the overall experience less hardcore as theres always more sideeffects.

Sure there has been some changes, but for instance if you want access to the best nodes you'll have to go to risk areas - pvp safe areas near cities have no nodes with rare drops. Yes they added roles, but it wasnt any more hardcore before simply because everyone was specced the same (flavor of the year) and fought the same depending on the situation. On top of this they made the gameplay easier with scripts and macros. Pluss they even removed the instant casts now.

I'd still say DF is a hardcore game in the sense that it requires dedicated players to succeed, not being afraid to take a hit to the head.

It's still hardcore compareted to most other mmos, but not even close to what it was...and the new version not as close as MO, thats the point I was making, its not hardcore enough anymore to compare to MO.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"