Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs with skills instead of levels

lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

There's one feature I've been looking for:

I love the games where your skills grow as you use them, sort of like in Darkfall or Asheron's Call So everytime you swing a sword, you sword value goes up. Everytime you cast a spell, your magic goes up etc...

What other MMORPGs are there that have that? 

Oh and Asheron's Call is too old to go back to and DarkFall is closing soon, so until the new version comes out, I'm not going back there

I've also tried 9dragons and it had that too, but the world is barren, there are barely any players and it was not fun to run around alone.

Anything else?

Thanks

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I like this style too. It harkens back to the early days of rpgs. 

I think Mortal Online does it this way. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    9dragons.. it was an ok game in its time... the story was relatively deep and you leveled ur skills after learning them by either practicing or using them in combat.. that was a great mechanic to me.. I love it as well.

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Helbreath also uses this kind of mechanism. Tho it doesnt have alot depth in it.
  • ExzyzExzyz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Darkfall Unholy Wars?
  • bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116

WURM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Sorry,doesn't have the best population,but i am a Wurm Fanboi.Had to suggest it.

Other then that there is  Ultima online,LinkRealms,Ryzom(if your into sci fi),Eternal Lands.

I can't seem to think of any others right now...Ofcourse there is Runescape.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Exzyz
    Darkfall Unholy Wars?

Yeah, Darkfall: Unholy Wars would be the best option! It will release November 20th, so check it out. Really....do it!

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

Do yourself a favor and stay away from DF:UW - it is literally just a re-release of the same game with some small changes (less than an expansion for a AAA mmo) and marketed in a way to trick new or old people into buying something new by a desperate, sad company.

I'm with you on the skills thing over levels but DF is not the answer. TSW has a similar system but you have to invest the points after earning exp.. not quite what you are looking for but its still playable unlike most of the games listed on here. Mortal Online potentially... SWGEmu if you're into emulators but its still in development (but playable)... otherwise you're just going to have to be patient and wait awhile for a decent game meeting those guidelines to come across.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Mabinogi, Vindictus, Wurm, UO, Entropia Universe, Darkfall and Mortal Online are the only ones I know of.