Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are MMORPG communities so anti-social? Singleplayer game design? Google? Fear of being Trolled?

I honestly do not know if it is the anti-social communities, the sheep-like behavior of the majority who follow the vocal anti-social trolls who belittle friendly people or any form of conversation, or the game design making communication absolete.

Any MMORPG I have played in the last 5 years is exactly the same.

You talk in global chat about something relevant to the game, genre, or just for conversation sake. Four people immediately tell you to shut up in a very anti-social fashion, isntantly discouraging anyone from talking, being friendly, or participating in the conversation. Sheeple either join the anti-social trolls in bashing the socializer(s) or stay out of the conversation due to the fact that they will become a target for anti-social behavior (insults, rude attacks, trolling) if they join in on the conersation. 99% of players regardless of social involvement never even read the chat and continue their mindless grind and single-player or guild-inclusive experience.

That sums up MMORPG communities. If you aren't spamming "WTS/WTB [item]" or "LFG [dungeon content]" then you're ostracized for talking.

Want to ask a question? "Google it moron."

Want to talk about an element of the game? "Go back to WoW."

Want to talk about what you want in the genre? "Go back to WoW."

Game too frustrating due to flaws in balance or bad game design? "This isn't EZ mode. Go back to WoW."

Like the game but want to talk about the parts you dislike? "If you don't like it, quit."

Love the game but want help in an aspect of the game? "You suck. Google it."

Can't find a group? "Stop spamming chat. It's because you suck and no one likes you."

Want to disagree with someone? "Go do the world a favor and kill yourself."

^^^^ All of this because you wanted to be social, have a conversation, speak your mind, or ask a simple question that takes seconds to answer.

Why havve a community when you can google everything?

Why talk at all when you could be shutting up and playing the game?

Why socialize in a MMORPG? Didn't you know this is a singleplayer game?

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Or find the massive multi-page thread on this same subject posted only weeks ago.

You stay sassy!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm social in MMORPGs. It seems like all the people around me are social.

Maybe people don't like you or something.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

OP... You are such an unhappy camper. You hate the forums here, the people that post here, and the people in games you play. Look at your post. Seriously, it reads like some depressed and “needy" plea for attention or comfort. You want a more friendly social gaming experience? Fine, go become part of the right guild for you to make some pals and stop expecting general global chat to be kitty play land. I can’t tell what games you are playing to make any recommendations in that regard or tell what you like but that would be another topic for another forum section anyway.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I've always felt like the amount of social interaction in a game depended on me, not the game. Once you get outside of actual talking to people for the sake of talking to people, then I can see where a lot of the interaction depends on the game itself.

I think it's a mistake to depend on the MMORPG to be a primary social hub. They are primitive compared to what else is available. Way back in the day, they might have been cutting edge, but only because other available online social channels didn't really exist unless you were into some weird stuff. Now there are other social channels available, and they've advanced far beyond what MMORPG offer.

So...my advice is to get over it and move on.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Wow...either we're only getting a very one-sided version of the story and you were a complete tool in those chat channels, or you're playing some rather odd games. Most MMOs I've played have not been that bad, my favorite Eve Online is the complete opposite.

Where's the any key?

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Didn't you just post that same post in a different thread on this same topic????

Why yes, yes you did.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Community is a direct result of design in these games.

As an example, I personally think the solo 'no group grouping' trend that we are seeing in newer MMOs (Rift, GW2, and now apparently TES) is extremely damaging to the formation of it.

But... saying that, you cannot ignore the fact that these supposedly *social* games are played by a lot of socially retarded people. Maybe that's a core contradiction in their nature.

I do though, I admit, think the 'google it' people are dicks.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Or find the massive multi-page thread on this same subject posted only weeks ago.

Amd earlier this morning...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Big part is that the community has become so populated with people without that roleplay past.  Now I'm not saying they don't roleplay, but that social aspect so prevalent in old RPG pen n paper games.

Second is the younger generation which is really part of my first point.

Thriving social media elsewhere.  Before you didn't really have these sites so an online game with others was also enticing for the social bonds you could make.

Finally, design catering to the points above.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by grimal

Finally, design catering to the points above.

And there has still has never been, and never will,  be game design that forces people to play nice and all get along on the internet.

That seems to require teachers supervising the playgrounds in large numbers.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

easy solution

read this out loud enough times that it sinks in.

"Everybody has the right to speak, and everybody has the right to NOT listen. "

If you don't want to hear people say things you don't like, stop listening. Block them, ignore them, or whatever you need to do.

If people don't want to hear you, they can enjoy the same right, so if you want to be listened to, make sure it's something people want to hear.  (notice the way I put that. It falls right along with if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all)

There are alot of people that may disagree with me on that. I'll probably ignore them.   :-)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Psy410Psy410 Member Posts: 70

2 words: Ask Nice.

I personally dont believe this is true I dont play too often and some players have gone out of their way to help me, in exchange for nothing, maybe they were bored or maybe they were roleplaying or maybe they were showing off or maybe they are just very cool people, maybe helping other random players feels more real than doing an actual quest for some npcs. I even have a small group of friends that trust me with their most expensive gear and teach me how to be a better player, everytime I play I ask at least 5 different questions to them about the game.

I have helped some players myself and even if they end up taking advantage of me, I still will keep doing it because I dont want to become a bitter old person who hates everyone that is different and takes every harsh word in an awkward and deeply personal level. I will keep being myself and helping others and being generous whenever I feel like it and I will take everything, good and bad, because that builds character and every single thing is part of the experience. 

Maybe you have it all wrong maybe the helpful guys are not waiting around for you and checking the world chat in search for players in distress, maybe they are already helping others that respectfully whisper them when they are not busy or AFK and hey maybe even talk to them about other stuff that is relevant but not directly related to the things they need.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

It's the trolls, which is for some reason so cool and funny. IMO they should be taxed for breeding and oxygen.

Most the time it's flaming now a days, and people are just calling it trolling.

This leaves a player looking for an in game community having to look to RP servers, which end up being infested with pervs. Naturally, you just end up in a guild of like minded folks and keep to your group.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

OP, have you stopped to consider the idea that maybe it's not the games that are anti-social, but rather it's you who lack social skills?

Games are just systems. They can't be 'social'. They can just support / allow social behavior. Most of these games at least allow it, some support it better than others. However, look at some of the things you're posting in the OP.

Can you imagine seeing that same thing posted over and over again x 100? It reads like an ad campaign. Half of the things you are apparently posting are asking other people to do work for you. A complete stranger. For no benefit to themselves. That's not the way generally works. Best case scenario you may find a few people (especially during the early years of a game) willing to help you out. But what do you think happens once they've helped out 1000 players just like you? They eventually get tired of answering the same questions over, and over again, and would rather see more useful things in general chat.

This is where it pays to have friends. Make friends in these games. Be nice, be patient, try going out of your way to help others for a change, instead of always expecting people to go out of their way to help you.

You can't have a good community, without players actively keeping it that way. As such, you can't expect a community to automatically cater to your every query, just because you asked. Games don't make communities good, friendly, or social. They simple provide an environment within which such communities can live. If you want strong social games, then do your part to be more social yourself. Golden rule, bud.

• AsgardxAsgardx Member UncommonPosts: 16

Here is my two cents on the subject...take it as you will.

I've been playing MMORPG's forever now, as I'm sure all of us have. I've met some awesome people down the line, many friendships fall apart and are forgotten when we game jump, etc. Of the million years I've spent gaming, I've collected about 3 friends who have continued to game jump with me. So, what do this have to do with being anti-social? Well...it all boils down to the most people in the MMORPG community being idiots.

This is why I don't talk to people, and for the most part; why my friends don't as well. We have come to the conclusion that everyone sucks and cannot grasp rules, trends, gameplay etc that well. While you guys may be cool people, our enjoyment from games comes from overcoming challenges so we stick to our super tightly knit group and do not branch out.

Maybe it is this way for others, maybe I'm just coming off as an elitist prick or whatever - which is not my intent. But the vast majority of players just...straight blow and I don't want to play with people who wipe us in dungeons, die to common mobs in pve, don't do shit during boss fights and don't back us up in PVP..

Therefore, I am silent.

Note - this does not mean I will ignore you. I will even still play with you, but I will never ever talk to you first or seek you out.

• Originally posted by aesperus

OP, have you stopped to consider the idea that maybe it's not the games that are anti-social, but rather it's you who lack social skills?

That might work, except for the fact I am an extremely lovable person with highly developed social skills...so much so that it is my career field IRL which I excel at.

Perhaps I would wonder, "Is it me?" if I were not given endless compliments and recommendations based on my friendliness, optimistic view, and kindness I show to most people.

Note that I say "Most People". I am also someone who teaches children and teenagers at my job other skills such as Leadership, standing up for others, resisting bullies, confronting irrational thought, and building confidence.

I may be a very kind, friendly person normally, but to anti-social behavior such as idiots, irrational thought, bad logic, ignorant teaching, bullying, or general stupidity: I stand up very firmly and say G.T.F.O. I can be very blunt and decisive, telling others off in front of others and explaining why. I always do this while listening to them, in case they have something to say to defend themselves when they make what is mostly a skewed view of reality based off of their asinine assumptions or twisted perspective.

x[mod edit]

Seeing as how in MMORPG's, I am the first to speak to be social and do so in a friendly, positive manner, and automatically receive several anti-social remarks the moment I do, it cannot possibly be me. It may not always be as bad as someone telling you to go kill yourself because you asked what unknowingly was an obvious question (Ex. "Where is the bank?" when it is the tallest building in the city.) Yet these things do occur, and very, very few people step in to defend others when they are being trolled by anti-social "Google it, Moron" or "Do us all a favor and go kill yourself." child-adults.

• Originally posted by Asgardx

Here is my two cents on the subject...take it as you will.

I've been playing MMORPG's forever now, as I'm sure all of us have. I've met some awesome people down the line, many friendships fall apart and are forgotten when we game jump, etc. Of the million years I've spent gaming, I've collected about 3 friends who have continued to game jump with me. So, what do this have to do with being anti-social? Well...it all boils down to the most people in the MMORPG community being idiots.

This is why I don't talk to people, and for the most part; why my friends don't as well. We have come to the conclusion that everyone sucks and cannot grasp rules, trends, gameplay etc that well. While you guys may be cool people, our enjoyment from games comes from overcoming challenges so we stick to our super tightly knit group and do not branch out.

Maybe it is this way for others, maybe I'm just coming off as an elitist prick or whatever - which is not my intent. But the vast majority of players just...straight blow and I don't want to play with people who wipe us in dungeons, die to common mobs in pve, don't do shit during boss fights and don't back us up in PVP..

Therefore, I am silent.

Note - this does not mean I will ignore you. I will even still play with you, but I will never ever talk to you first or seek you out.

Compounded with the fact so many are anti-social, nasty individuals online, I can definitely see why communities remain silent.

It would not surprise me if every MMORPG community was comprised of two types of people: Nasty, Stupid Children (who can be adults, but I label them as children due to their child-like mind) and people who are sick of or want to avoid said nasty, stupid children.

Anti-Social Behavior (Trolling, Rude Behavior, Nasty Attacks) can cause what would normally be Social Behavior (friendliness, talkative people) to seem Anti-Social (silent).

In the end, it only makes sense why the only two people talking are idiots: the real idiots and the people insane enough to try talking sense to the real idiots. The former for being irrational, hateful, nasty children. The latter being those who oppose bullying, nasty attitudes, or stupidity.

It only makes sense why 99% of people are silent: They're busy playing, in Guild chat, in private VOIP, Trolling, Defending against Trolls, or trying to avoid the Trolls.

My greatest question is "At what percentage are each?"

[mod edit]

LOL..

• Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    Wow...either we're only getting a very one-sided version of the story and you were a complete tool in those chat channels, or you're playing some rather odd games. Most MMOs I've played have not been that bad, my favorite Eve Online is the complete opposite.

I have never played EVE Online, and although the above statements are all very common, they are not all going to be stated everytime you ask a question. However, you WILL see these statements, and you WILL always see these TYPES of remarks in more populated games.

Try playing a few games of League of Legend, spend a day in World of Warcraft, or start chatting about any PvP topic in GW2's Heart of the Mist.

Do this for a few days, and I would be shocked if you aren't told to commit suicide IRL at least once.

• Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Originally posted by Disatisfied9
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

OP... You are such an unhappy camper. You hate the forums here, the people that post here, and the people in games you play. Look at your post. Seriously, it reads like some depressed and “needy" plea for attention or comfort. You want a more friendly social gaming experience? Fine, go become part of the right guild for you to make some pals and stop expecting general global chat to be kitty play land. I can’t tell what games you are playing to make any recommendations in that regard or tell what you like but that would be another topic for another forum section anyway.

Fail Troll. The reason I hate SOME people here is obvious: they're negative, irrational assuming, arrogant children.

You assume I'm unhappy, hate the forums (yet I post, so obviously I don't hate the forums...herp derp...), and you think I hate the people in games I play? I like the people in games I play...which is why I talk to them in a positive, friendly manner.

The kind of people I hate are those like you, who make irrational assumptions that just because there are negative, angry, trollish people on the internet, it MUST be me. I never claimed no one is EVER nice to ANYONE. Simply put, you will see the above statements in the OP more often than not.

If the area is competitive, for example GW2's PvP or PvP related zones, and the trolls, "Google it" crowd, and anti-social braggarts are more common than in PvE areas.

Your very response is the epitome of proof of my OP. You read a very rational, realistic complaint from a very happy, positive gamer. You suddenly turn it dark, claim the happy person is depressed, irrationally assume their friendly attitude is monstrous, and then say in what is different semantics of (Google it / Go back to WoW / Go Die / GTFO / Welcome to the Internet / It's not immoral because it's the Internet / Etc.) by saying "Stop expecting general global chat to be kitty playland.

You stated the epitome of anti-social remarks: Stop being social.

Finalized by the arrogance that somehow we would want the opinion of someone so irrational that they make insane assumptions based on non-existent evidence and wild accusations. Then you wonder why I hate people like you, and love people who aren't like you?

Epic...

LOL..

Defeated so badly, you're unable to even provide a rebuttal? This confirms I am entirely correct: so welcome to the ignore feature kid.

I actually have read quite a few intelligent posts in this thread by some great people. Solid advice from experienced veterans who are quite sick of the scourge of idiots, trolls, and irrational children in this genre.

So I will be following their amazing advice starting now: Instead of actually respecting these people and debating with them or calling them out on their irrational logic or general stupidity: I will simply "Block" them with this wonderful feature.

Soon, I will have most of this forum on ignore, as I will block anytime I see anyone disrespect someone else as well as those who respond to me with a waste of a post full of anti-social remarks.

I will, however, have a plethora of wonderful people whose posts I will be able to read without vomitting.

The people I DIDN'T reply to, are most of the people who actually have amazing advice, whose opinions I will love to read.

Fail Troll. The reason I hate SOME people here is obvious: they're negative, irrational assuming, arrogant children.

You assume I'm unhappy, hate the forums (yet I post, so obviously I don't hate the forums...herp derp...), and you think I hate the people in games I play? I like the people in games I play...which is why I talk to them in a positive, friendly manner.

The kind of people I hate are those like you, who make irrational assumptions that just because there are negative, angry, trollish people on the internet, it MUST be me. I never claimed no one is EVER nice to ANYONE. Simply put, you will see the above statements in the OP more often than not.

If the area is competitive, for example GW2's PvP or PvP related zones, and the trolls, "Google it" crowd, and anti-social braggarts are more common than in PvE areas.

Your very response is the epitome of proof of my OP. You read a very rational, realistic complaint from a very happy, positive gamer. You suddenly turn it dark, claim the happy person is depressed, irrationally assume their friendly attitude is monstrous, and then say in what is different semantics of (Google it / Go back to WoW / Go Die / GTFO / Welcome to the Internet / It's not immoral because it's the Internet / Etc.) by saying "Stop expecting general global chat to be kitty playland.

Finalized by the arrogance that somehow we would want the opinion of someone so irrational that they make insane assumptions based on non-existent evidence and wild accusations. Then you wonder why I hate people like you, and love people who aren't like you?

Epic...

LOL..

Defeated so badly, you're unable to even provide a rebuttal? This confirms I am entirely correct: so welcome to the ignore feature kid.

The weather outside is really nice.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

its all google's fault

Yahoo FTW

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Epic...

Maybe this is why Crazy_Stick thought you were negative and didn't like this website:

"I am dissatisfied with this forum. It isn't very popular anymore, and the same handful of veteran posters are the only ones who reply, and their opinions get old after awhile, just like mine probably do."

Not really assuming anything when you kind of spell it out.  Also, your moniker has fairly negative connotations as well.

Anyway, I don't think it's the fault of games when the players in them are not social.  It's the players themselves who are not social who are at fault.  A game dev can do everything in the world to get people to be social (and many have tried), but that's not going to necessarily make even the majority of the players be social.  Unless you consider "social" to mean rudeness, ignorance, and just plain dickishness.  From what I've seen and heard every game can be like that.

I have had no more or less of a hard time "socializing" with people in any of the games I've played, like GW1, LotRO, GW2, etc.  However, I'm not there to make lifelong friends either.  I'll happily do quests and help others out and talk with them, etc.  And if I run across someone who doesn't respond....I move on.  Really, it's not worth getting upset over.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• huntardhuntard Member Posts: 133

Too many opinionated individuals that feel they are topic authority!

• Originally posted by huntard

Too many opinionated individuals that feel they are topic authority!

This.

This is my biggest problem in forums. (My problem; not sure if others get annoyed like I do.)

So many people who know so little, assume so much, and claim so aggressively that the OP (whoever he is at the moment) or Poster they're replying to, is at fault / is stupid / is a bad person / is a bad PvPer.

I would actually be interested in doing some research on what the average idiot thinks. Doing things such as presenting someone who has a legitimate, meager complaint to a PvP game, and then chart how many people accuse said person as being bad at PvP.

I have actually come from winning gold tournaments or top player in a match, and complain that a certain class is OP or that the game is unbalanced. Floods of people accuse me of being a bad player. They obviously didn't pay any attention to who was owning them or what the scores were; as I will just as often complain that MY class or what I do is overpowered or unbalanced. I actually will sometimes comment, "I should not be able to kill people like this. It's so unfair for them." and will STILL be accused of sucking at the game, as if I stated a complaint that I was losing.

Perhaps the only way to actually find out why MMORPG communities are anti-social, is to actually do some legitimate research on the topic, using some solid methods and strategies to gather information.

P.S. This ignore feature is awesome! I have already dodged two fail troll's replies to me. I didn't have to read them, didn't get annoyed, actually felt victorious against them (They wasted their time, which is AWESOME! hahaha!), and I'm sure they are making themselves look dumb in the process without me having to even respond.

Best advice EVER! Thanks MMORPG.com mature veteran gamers :)

This discussion has been closed.