Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If the subscription model is dead, please explain this

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Robokapp

there's nothing dead about the subscription model and they know it too, they just want to wish it away.

F2P is a fad and it's basically entirely passed. I suspect we wont be seeing many more F2Ps in 2013 and on.

glad its over...

Oh man, the irony in this post is so... juicy. image

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by mikecackle
    If F2p IS DEAD, why does DDO have a premium plus that pretty much forces any regular player to BE A SUBSCRIBER

In Shot Online golf game, why is it all the long time players are SUBSCRIBED that gets, reduced greens fee's, ,millions of dollars of Zinga cash, and other bonuses?

Why does the upcoming TOR F2P model, sorta force you to subscribe to get access to all the warzones, and pvp content

You got it quite messed up.

F2P does not force you to anything, it is the other way round. P2P "force" you to pay to play - no pay, no play.

I guess that should also answer your question why P2P is "dead"...

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    as far as long term play goes, its p2p all the way. would never consider playing a f2p game seriously.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by Rayshe

People just love to throw the greedy word out there.

Sub fee, Well those greedy assholes.

Cash shop, Outragous.

Basicly they want a game that you pay for once and get free content for the next 5 years. personally i think if they wanted to see the greedy person, they only need to look in the mirror.

We can basically term those folks who want to play full featured MMORPG's but let other folks foot the bills as "Freeloaders", a great new derogatory nickname we can toss about, like carebear, or ganker.

Heck, let's just apply it to anyone who supports the F2P model. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AranisusAranisus Member UncommonPosts: 30

Internet is now dominated with kid's. Which one's will give 15euro per month for playing game, if they doesn't have rich parent's?

That's why I like EVE - buy subscription once, if you will like it, you will be able to buy it with game cash.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Yes, most people come here continually stating the MMORPG subscription model is dead.

Please then do explain this... Why is it that every F2P title also contains some sort of basic subscription facet to it?

If F2p IS DEAD, why does DDO have a premium plus that pretty much forces any regular player to BE A SUBSCRIBER

In Shot Online golf game, why is it all the long time players are SUBSCRIBED that gets, reduced greens fee's, ,millions of dollars of Zinga cash, and other bonuses?

Why does the upcoming TOR F2P model, sorta force you to subscribe to get access to all the warzones, and pvp content

Please enforce your reasoning on why you say the SUB model is dead?

you do realize that there isn't a subscription option in every F2P option AND those that do are often not as successful as those that don't have that option AND that those that do have a sub are called Freemium limiting content and basic UI elements that every other game has for free because they couldn't make Freemium work AT ALL if they didn't use those cheap tactics to create a hostile environment to those who aren't subbed, right? Oh and you defeated your own argument, the sub model went dead in SWTOR since you brought that particular title up, so they have to resort to cheap tactics to force players to sub in order to get any enjoyment, it's never a good model. And finally, DDO's model unlocks things players need so one could effectively sub for one month and get everything their character needs and then unsub. They're feeling it now in LOTRO, most of the players there are people who have already subbed for a single month long long ago or bought an expansion that unlocked many of the content areas they needed to level alts. Subbing for 1 month is hardly a proper subscription model or a success story.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by dave6660
    The subscription model isn't dead.  The people who dislike it just hope if they keep repeating "subscriptions are dead" that will make it true.

^^^^^ This 1 million times over.

This new fad the freemium is a design to make you subscribe. Just look at lotro, ddo, eq2, and even swtor.  They put roadblocks in the way to make game play unplayable unless you spend some sort of money to unlock what you need.

The sub model is not dead plenty of games still have it, and a lot of those games have the freemium to make you sub up.  

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Adamantine

there's nothing dead about the subscription model and they know it too, they just want to wish it away.

+1

And thats all there is to say about it.

Agreed. It's just a myth supported by lazy fashionable percieved wisdom and the shilling of an industry looking to maximise profits at the cost of gamers and games.

Thankfully as more and more actually have bad experiences with 'F2P' (buyers remorse, bad service, feeling constantly manipulated into a shop etc) folks are seeing through the 'free' more and more and the backlash is kicking in.

The truth is telling.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Yes, most people come here continually stating the MMORPG subscription model is dead.

Please then do explain this... Why is it that every F2P title also contains some sort of basic subscription facet to it?

yea, why name wow if you can name random games with 100k subs :P

i totaly get that.... not ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by dave6660
    The subscription model isn't dead.  The people who dislike it just hope if they keep repeating "subscriptions are dead" that will make it true.

^^^^^ This 1 million times over.

This new fad the freemium is a design to make you subscribe. Just look at lotro, ddo, eq2, and even swtor.  They put roadblocks in the way to make game play unplayable unless you spend some sort of money to unlock what you need.

The sub model is not dead plenty of games still have it, and a lot of those games have the freemium to make you sub up.  

contrary to popular belief, SWTOR's model is not like LOTRO's it's like SOE's in that it doesn't unlock anything, it gives you access to it temporarily until your sub runs out so basically they are forcing you back into what they were doing before going freemium (which is the term btw that you should use for those games who require a sub but still claim to be free when they aren't).

F2P like LOTRO unlocks PERMANENTLY the basic ui elements and traits one needs to actually play the game properly. There is a big big difference between this and what SWTOR  is doing.

Originally posted by Thane

[snip]

yea, why name wow if you can name random games with 100k subs :P

i totaly get that.... not ^^

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

The subscription model isn't dead, the market is just a finite size for subscription gamers.

We've reached a point where everyone willing to pay a subscription is currently doing so, there isn't any more people to go around and new games aren't good enouch to steal subscribers from existing games.

Free to play, even freemium, is a way of expanding beyond just subscription players.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Companies need a good game at the right price with a revenue model that fits. If they have that, they'll make money. Simple as that. I'll guarantee you that if the game of the decade were to suddenly drop in our laps tomorrow at $50.00/box and $15.00/mo there after, and it is THE game to play, all these guys screaming "Subs are a ripoff" Would pony up.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by bugse82

F2P is a fad and it's basically entirely passed. I suspect we wont be seeing many more F2Ps in 2013 and on.

glad its over...

wait, what?

think again...

not to mention the new soe titles.

I think this post just speaks volumes, actually.  Except for Wildstar, I believe all of those are a type of "F2P".  Kind've more than I was expecting, especially since it doesn't even mention some of the "F2P" games that I'm looking forward to in 2013 and up (I'm also interested in Defiance and how it relates to the scyfy channel; may actually get those episodes when they come out via Itunes or whatnot).

I'll probably still be sub'd to FFXI, FFXIV 2.0 and WoW like I am now (occassionally UO just to talk to old friends), though I absolutely love the choice that is starting to be shown when it comes to the way you pay for a game.  Whenever a new game comes out that has a monthly fee, I may pass it by as I don't want to be locked into a monthly fee that basically holds my characters and hard work in the time period thenceforth.  Whether it's friends, the time you spend and the work you don't want to lose, or simply wanting to go back and having to pay for the month's fee just for a few hours of nostalgia... The P2P model will remain something that is intensely hated by myself and is a huge negative for most games.  

It's not about the money for me, as I am perfectly willing to spend even more monthly (though I'm usually in control of myself) on a game that allows me to log in for free, and I don't feel like I'm being ripped off for not playing a game every hour on the hour because of the monthly fee. I even got rid of most TV channels simply because youtube and twitch gave me more entertainment and only asked for a commercial break here and there to support the people who were making the content and not a fee plus commercials when I barely partake in the activity anymore.

In the end, the choice is nice and there are pros and cons to both decisions.  I believe that the statement in which most just want a "free" game for nothing is partly true for some.  Though realistically speaking, there is a sort of competition between people of two payment types where there aught not to be; the more options the better, and if someone is loose with their money when it comes to paying for too many sub games, or going overboard on cash shops, then that's a personal problem and they should have more self control rather than asking developers to carry their hand and change the rules of the game that enjoy either of those payment types the way they are.

Both types are self sustaining in their own way, but "F2P" is going no where, and has actually been around since before Ultima Online when it comes to accessing certain community driven games.  It isn't a passing fancy as most people thought MMOs were in the 90s when no investors were interested (so many projects were lost due to lack of interest  ;-; ) in putting money into. The same could be said for the P2P model that still has a champion like WoW that boasts millions of subscribers on a monthly basis (which may also be a factor driving other games to F2P, but that's a topic for a different time and has be spoken quite a bit in the past as it is).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I prefer games that give me a choice in how I want to support the devs once I make the initial investment.  Whether by an optional subscription (which only makes you have to work less or opens completely optional content for you), a non Pay2Win CS, frequent paid expansions or a mix of those.

I hope the required subscription goes away.  But the option should still be there for those that want it if that's what the devs want.

Of course, I think subscriptions are the lazy way out.  But that's just me.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    1. Darkfall: UW = subscrption
    2. Archeage = subscription
    3. Neverwinter = F2P
    4. Star Citizen = not an mmorpg, no info on monetary model
    5. Planetside 2 = not an mmorpg, F2P
    6. Wildstar = maybe F2P
    7. Path of exile = not an mmorpg, F2P
    So, as far as mmorpgs go, we have two that are subscription based and two that are not.

For me subscription means higher quality in PvE and even battleground in PvP. A subscription needs to justify to their subscribers its quality every single month, a F2P can get away with tons of issues (see GW2). A subscription based PvP game keeps everyone on the same level, in most F2P games you can buy your way to victory or you can buy your way into an earlier advantage.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@<;a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Yaevindusk"; href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/Yaevindusk"; title="View information about Yaevindusk" suhlink"="">Yaevindusk

Well at first sight you're right, but not completly.

Path of Exile - hack&slash multiplayer not mmoprg

Starcitizen - single player+multiplayer+limited mmo (corpg?,  big scale multiplayer like NWN ?)

Neverwinter - f2p

Planetside 2 - it's mmofps not mmorpg

Wildstar - propably f2p or something similar

ArcheAge - no info. There are wild spculations ranging from subscription only to complete f2p and from freemium hybrid to dual model of separate subscription and separate f2p or freemium servers.  Speaking of Korean version of course.   Chinese mainland will be f2p or paybyhour obviosuly.  Non-mainland Chinese - Hongkong, Macao and Taiwan have separate publisher and there is very little info about specfifics.

Anyway all of 3 current dominant models - f2p, freemium and p2p are here to stay for mmorpg's.   For non-mmprpg, like various other mmo games (mmofps, mmorts) f2p will be dominant.  For lobby multiplayer f2p will be majority with some sizeable miniority with classic B2P (not B2P+CS like GW2) + DLC"s or expansions.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Wish/ force,the devs are simply banking on a players intelligence.They figure they can deliver half a game and still outsell the sub model based on cost alone.Gamers should be able to tell the difference,in a cheaper game you simply follow a few markers around and next thing you know ,you are at end level.

The cheapest form of game development that costs literally nothing is then what these cheaper games bank on>>>PVP.The internet service is already there so not much else needeed,the character skills and spells are already there,the maps are already there.They might go as far as a simple effort to  make an instance map,so ya removing the whole purpose of playing a MMO and designing a cheaper map as well.

All devs are doing is trying to play with gamers heads,fool them into buying their product based on cost only.

This works on a LOT of people,will NEVER work on me becuase i have never based my decisions on cost ,ONLY on the effort the developer shows me .If i have no money and i play a f2p,i will not commit any effort to the game and they still will not get any money out of me.I am quite sure i am not alone,so their cheap tactics to LURE gamers in will not work,only on those that allow it.

The DEPTH is what make a game because now days devs are using auto map generators,less models,few classes,heck even some of the things gamersd have been clamouring for like no mounts and no housing either,devs are really trying hard to be able to profit off of less effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    1. Darkfall: UW = subscrption
    2. Archeage = subscription
    3. Neverwinter = F2P
    4. Star Citizen = not an mmorpg, no info on monetary model
    5. Planetside 2 = not an mmorpg, F2P
    6. Wildstar = maybe F2P
    7. Path of exile = not an mmorpg, F2P
    So, as far as mmorpgs go, we have two that are subscription based and two that are not.

For me subscription means higher quality in PvE and even battleground in PvP. A subscription needs to justify to their subscribers its quality every single month, a F2P can get away with tons of issues (see GW2). A subscription based PvP game keeps everyone on the same level, in most F2P games you can buy your way to victory or you can buy your way into an earlier advantage.

There's no objective issues GW2 suffers from that P2P games do not as well. However, if you want to argue subjective reasons why GW2 is somehow an example of a F2p game that "can get away with tons of issues", be my guest. 

I know at least that Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS. The 2P acronyms connotes brand of games that typically run on business model to recoup the costs of an ongoing service. Such as hosting a server (or delivering magazines to customers). MMO's (NOT JUST MMORPG'S) are that brand of game generally, due also to hosting massive amounts of people in a multiplayer format. Which is why Co-RPG's like path of exile and DIablo don't necessarily fit the bill (small player limit in instances). SO if this is a discussion of MMO's, discerned from OP of business models, then Planetside 2 can definitely be discussed. 

Of course, you did say "for me" so you're completely in the right, with opinions and all. I just felt some clarification was in order. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Yout example isn't a "subscription model" it's a "freemium model".

The pure subscription model is dying, outside of WOW and some niche games that don't need tons of susbcribers.

The $15 a month subscription model crushed SWTOR, TSW and many other MMOs.  Substantially lower sub costs may have helped some of them, B2P with a GW2 like cash shop would have helped most.

The model that makes the most sense is B2P.  You buy the box and all release content at once.  They add content and you can buy it right away for cash or wait a while for the price to go down.  You decide what content you do and don't want and you can keep playing the rest of teh content without subbing.

Freemium model is not subscription model.   It is called freemium not by accident, cause it is model that only partially is supported by subsciption.

Personally I find this model as preety bad and even though I do prefer paying subsciption over microtransactions - I will never again support freemium mmorpg. I tried and never again.  It is pointless to pay a subscription if it does not provide you microtransaction free enviroment as far as I am concerned.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by fenistil

Freemium model is not subscription model.   It is called freemium not by accident, cause it is model that only partially is supported by subsciption.

Personally I find this model as preety bad and even though I do prefer paying subsciption over microtransactions - I will never again support freemium mmorpg. I tried and never again.  It is pointless to pay a subscription if it does not provide you microtransaction free enviroment as far as I am concerned.

It is quite the opposite. It is partially supported by F2P.

These freemium models are nothing but glorified extended trials. Best bang for your bucks is till monthly sub. It is  alot cheaper that way instead of paying for unlocking content through cash shops.

Originally posted by halflife25

It is quite the opposite. It is partially supported by F2P.

These freemium models are nothing but glorified extended trials. Best bang for your bucks is till monthly sub. It is  alot cheaper that way instead of paying for unlocking content through cash shops.

In freemium games microtransactions are not only directed at non-sub players, there are also microtransaction directed at subbed players to increase revenue from part of subscibers over sub price. 

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    In freemium games microtransactions are not only directed at non-sub players, there are also microtransaction directed at subbed players to increase revenue from part of subscibers over sub price. 

You mean cosmetic items like in EQ2? i have played EQ2 freemium with sub for a long time now. I get enough sc points to buy anything i want from cash shop and even if i don't, it makes little difference to my gameplay.

I agree with the above guy that freemium is nothing but an extended  trial You play with restrictions but if you want to enjoy entire content either unlock it through cash shop (not a smart move) or pay a monthly sub which is cheap as hell.