Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Community Q&A #2 -- Give Us Your Questions!

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    The foundry is suppose to be 100%free to use Ozmodan, dunno about the PW item shop yet, hopefully they won't add in those damnanable lockbox type things

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GameveteranGameveteran Member Posts: 9
    Many of these have been answered so let's see if we can get those done. Multi Qote only did two, so hope this posts OK when I did it by hand.

Originally posted by bcbully

Big D&D fan here, so I was naturally interested. I then heard there would be no pvp. I sadly took Neverwinter of my list. Today I heard there will be pvp at launch.

Could you please confirm? If so, can you give a little more insight as to what Neverwinter's pvp will offer?

Yes, the game was delayed for PvP why it didn’t come out this fall, that and that “Polish” thing. If I’m told people are “polishing their stuff” I can’t post what I think that means here LOL!

But all they said about PvP is “It will be robust.” Whee.  So Cryptic or PWE, whatever you call your people now, can you tell us SOMETHING MORE about PvP?

Originally posted by achesoma

All the known classes so far have adjectives attached to their titles. Does this imply there will be more variations of the same class? Will players be able to be other kinds of rogues, wizards, and fighters?

How important will class diversity be for group content? Will more difficult and end-game content require a specific make up of classes.

Yeah, they all use Builds and the company will mave multiple ones to choose from for each class, like Guardian and Greatweapon Fighter.

The Devs said you don’t have to have a balaced group, but it will be a lot harderand require a lot more strategy.

Originally posted by Zorbane

How does monster scaling work in the Foundry when multiple people are playing together? Do the monsters get stronger? More numerous?

Thanks.

They get tougher. They can’t make more ‘cause that would mess up their scaling powers.

Originally posted by Osmanthus

My question is about Foundry authoring.

May we please have the ability to create 'cookies' that persist across modules that can be used in triggers and dialogs?

Something similar to browser cookies, these could implemented as inert inventory items.

This will allow us to add much more depth to our modules. Players will be able to exit and enter our modules with a feeling of a solid persistent world by allowing NPCs to recognize player's past achievements, instead of forgetting who they are talking to everytime the module is played

They said over and over you can’t have one quest “affect the outcome of another.” I think they worried about cheating..

Originally posted by gandles

when is this game being released

D00d RU SEREUS?

http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/faq

Q: When is Neverwinter's release date?

Neverwinter is scheduled to be released in Early 2013. Make sure to Register and sign up for the official Neverwinter newsletter to be among the first to know the exact release date!

Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Will there be some kind of "challenging content"? Not necessarely raids - more like if we can expect some content with a higher grade of difficulty to complete with our friends for higher than average rewards. If so, would this be implemented in the Fundry so that we can create content intended for players that enjoy diferent levels of dificulty in their game?

One of the traiditional assets of Dungeons and Dragons settings is their rich and vast lore, with the hundreds of diferent creatures that inhabit it. However, one issue in encounter in the latest mmo's is that enemies soon become redundant or "reskinned" versions of earlier level monsters. So speaking of that, will Neverwinter attempt to include every possible type of monster from the DnD Monster Manual 4th Edition?

Many of us love the what Neverwinter is offering us, and have done things such as preordering other games just to get a Neverwinter Beta Key. And although we'd love to see Neverwinter's business model succeed (it would be great news to all gamers), there are some concerns as to how can PWE keep a healthy income without charging for box price, sub, and without making the cash shop P2W. The biggest worry here is that the game would end up being more P2W than it claims to be. Is it possible to shed some light in this aspect?

Alber, they already answered this on their own News page. I'd say go to iamtruthseeker's link on the Neverwinter News Forum area where he painstakingly (or OCD hehe)  listed every news blog article Cryptic ever released and classified it by subject from most recent event to least descending. Let's see, the Dev Blog lists Events: Dev Blog: Events September 27, 2012 And for lore and monsters, I'll just copy paste it:

Neverwinter Lore:

The Lore of Helm's Hold October 12, 2012
    The Lore of Blackdagger Ruins September 20, 2012
    New Trailer: The Lore of Ebon Downs August 15, 2012
    The Lore of Ebon Downs July 30, 2012
    Vellosk Lore Trailer June 5, 2012

Monster Manual:

Monster Manual: Devils October 12, 2012
    Monster Manual: The Ashmadai October 5, 2012
    The Monsters of Ebon Downs July 27, 2012

I think they are not done rolling out stuff, so it looks like they are being true to D&D and these conference call things to WOTC.

And truth mentioned the end of a section event called a Delve more in his FAQ here. Oh, it's a long one...second post, 13-14'th question down about a quarter of the way down the post. Hehe, it links an MMORPG Interview, too. Again, D00d gets a bit OCD but he's cool. If an answer's out there, he finds it!

But no, the users can't do those Events or Delves in the Foundry.

Originally posted by Purutzil

What will the cash shop offer the player and will it give unfair advantages?

In terms of social options, will there be things Such as a friends list and guilds? If so, what will you be able to do with them(check online status, party up, eat.)

Oh, Microtransacions? This was answered like yesterday. In this article (sorry MMORPG not you but GameInformer this time.)

Yeah, they mentioned this a lot in a bunch of videos, but they aren’t saying what guilds do.  Haven’t seen food or drink though. The rest are there if you look at that “Loading Page”

Those other questions (Custom animation and latency/LD) not sure so I didn’t post them here you may still want to ask PWE.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

The big question is, not game play, it is how they are going to fund it.  Will it be a typical PW item shop with constant gambling for powerups to make over powered equipment ?  Also will there be item shop charges to use their foundry tool or for others to play foundry generated scenarios?

Like before, read In this article from above.

Well, let's see if we can come up with stuff not talked about too or get to it where we ask new stuff from old questions!

GameVeteran

• GameveteranGameveteran Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    The foundry is suppose to be 100%free to use Ozmodan, dunno about the PW item shop yet, hopefully they won't add in those damnanable lockbox type things

Awwwz! Can I haz Lockbox Key? Okay, Can I Haz Lockbox Smilie then?   NOT!
    Okay, my questions:

1. How does crafting work? You said you had it, but nothing more!
    2. Same question for PvP setup?
    3. Do you have henchmen? I saw something about companions like pets, but do you have hirelings like henchmen not pets?
    4. What will be the next race you release not on your FAQ page? Will it be before or after launch?  Same for class? What about Sub Races like in the Neverwinter Campaign Book?
    5. You said you will not charge for classes. Will you charge for races like STO?
    6. How many character slots will we get before we gotta pay for them. Star Trek online only gives one for each faction and that's harsh!
    7. Can we choose our treasure in end chests from a lot of things...Andy said something like Chinese Menu choices (?) in this video?
    8. Will we get Fourth Edition Themes? Or just stuff like flavor text?
    9. Also want to know about Rituals?
    10. Can we have custom smilies based on the game like some other forum sites do?
    Thank you very much!

GameVeteran

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

Can we cutomize our characters by choosing feats?

@Gamevetren - above post.

Recently announced. There is going to be an upgrade for the forums when standard smileys and many other features would return.

• AranisusAranisus Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Will they be any special PvE/PvP features avaible only for guilds/clans etc.
  • WidowWidow Member Posts: 4
    How many foundry slots do you get right out of the gate?  This is a question that has been asked numerous times on the forums however we have no definitive answer and would like to pu this one to rest.  So to clarify I've just downloaded Neverwinter and I want to make some Foundry stuff how many slots do I have to use?  
  • ZebularZebular Member UncommonPosts: 24

Here are some more questions which have been requested to be relayed here by a couple users over on the official Neverwinter Forums:

Lyfebane asks:

1. Will the best equipment be on shop or will best equipment be from dungeons?
    2. Will there be lock boxes?
    3. What will crafting be like? (though thats asked above kinda)
    4. *cough* When is beta!
    5. Will we have, like CO, a slot which we can created an "open plan" or our own class character?
    6. A bit similar to another question but
    7. How many classes and races will be available at release?
    8. Will we be able to choose what our character stats are? i.e. are they set or can we put points into some at creation.
    9. And on a similar theme can you explain more about character creation?
    10. Can you explain more about the "pet" systems that was mentioned?
    11. Can you explain more about the various skill tree screen shots we have seen before, how they work, are more things going to be added to them and so on?
    12. Will there be other advantages to being in a guild?
    13. Can you explain more about what we will see in the cash shop?
    14. And not a question as such, but please release more screen shoots and videos :)

Valas625 asks:

1. Will people be able to respec their points into new areas?
      • As much as I like it in some games, I really don't want to see it in this. It always seemed like a ridiculous method of playing every character class to me. I would think a game might last longer if you had to put effort into playing each class instead of getting a "play all" pass that costs pitiful amounts of gold. It's a good idea in theory if you mess up and mis-click an ability, but I would think they'd give you a "Are you sure" before you permanently spend the point.

(Update: Added more question requests)

[ PWE Community Moderator (Official Forums) | Foundry: The Dweomerkeepers | My Twitter | @zebular ]
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I know some of my questions are related to things not covered elsewhere but pretty please with sugar on top can you ask them anyway.  My questions are in no particular order but #1 and #2 are most important and would love to see an answer:

1. Is there any type of Hybrid style melee/magic using class.....i.e. a class that would be considered multi-class from original AD&D rule sets.  Seeing as 4.0 edition is a tad more open ended then previous additions with its 4 class archtypes of Controller, Striker, Leader and Defender.  I would love to see Swordmages, Avengers, or multi-classed Warlocks/Assasins.
    2. Related to F2P payment model:  Why go with this route over a Buy to Pay model similar to GW2.  Also what types of cash shop items can we expect other then whats already announced:  Things like Character names, rare armor/weapon skins, and quality of life items are good but anything that grants power or stat increases is bad.
    3. Relating to the Foundry: Are Foundry missions available right away after character creation and can Foundry Missions be really long in scope with more variable ways to complete.  I.e. multiple paths  Also Can you create traps and jumping elements in the foundry missions?
    4. Is the 50/50 persistance/instanced split at every level or is the level up process mostly persistance and the endgame mostly instanced?
    5. Regarding gearing and crafting:  Is the endgame a vertical gear progression or is more horizontal, can we expect tiered gears and is rare and powerful gear dynamic (ala Asherons Call or Diablo).
    6. Is there any form of Post Character Cap progression not based on gear (i.e. alternate advancement)

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    This may be an oddly specific question, but during character creation, will elves (and gnomes?) be able to choose between ears? The portraits we've seen in the Foundry all have the same giant ears, and I just wonder if I can escape that without resorting to a dirty half-elf.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

What will the main story be like?  WIll there be choices?  Will it be voice acted?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

1. How deeply can classes be customized?

2. Can any class fill more then one role?

3. How soon after launch will PvP be added?

4. Will you have faction style, open world PvP?

5. If yes to 4, will there be objectives and siege engines, keeps, castles to take and own?

6. Will you have raids?

7. Will you have public quests, dynamic events?

8. How will you handle crafted items, as in how powerful with the best player made sword vs the best dropped sword?

A few of mine own questions:-

Q:- Will we have paladins and monks at launch?

Q:- Will we have the new classes like "Avenger", "Invoker" at launch?

Q:- Can we use weapons as holy implements?

Q:- Will we have bards? Can they make the mobs dance with their spells like in DDO? Will bards get subsidies from NPCs (as in pnp they are always welcome to taverns and get free servants?)

Q:- Is it possible to play as a shadow origin(Assassin, Necromancer, shadowmancer, Witch, Blackguard) character?

Q:- Will we have dragonborn race at launch now that it is native to Toril?

Q:- Will we have flying abilities for characters like Scion of Arkion who can fly with dragon wings? Also flying transports like magic carpet etc. at launch?

Q:- Will we be able to fly to earth motes like moonstone mask using above mentioned flying transports?

Q:- Will we have fey-based characters like eladrin, sprites, satyrs, dryads and fey based puzzles in the game?

Q:- Will we have very small D&D characters like pixie as a pet? Will they be a shop item?

Q:- How many paragon paths for each class would be available at launch?

Q:- Can we mix the different builds for a particular class? (Like great weapon fighter and guardian fighter?)

Q:- Will we have underwater adventures or mobs won't be able to attack you in water?

Q:- How custumisable can a divine character be for their particular diety in statics as well as in looks? Can they have a tatoo of their diety? Can they have particular powers from the domain of some particular diety?

Q:- Will the stats/balance in PvP affect the stats/balance in PvE or will they be handled completely seprately?

Q:- Are there any plans for planar travel in after paragon levels (after lvl 60?) like travel to lolth's domain or domain of other gods or the game is based only in sword coast?

Q:- Will you have events which will change the map forever? Like for example, a dragon attacks teh city out of nowhere and snatched away an npc who was part of the campaign and is replaced now by another npc because earlier on died?

Q:- Will the alignments still not play any role in game or has it changed now?

EDIT1:

Q:- How can we customise the ability stats? Will they be fixed? Will they have standard array, point buy with minimums based on class or fixed/same for every character?

Q:- Can dwarven women have beards?

Q:- Will halflings have same jump as other races or will their jump be lower due to height?

Q:- Are there any restrictions, control on how I want to name my character? (Like if I name my character as ModernWarfareMachine would there be any restriction on that?)

Q:- Would you consider power source before designing animations for characters or will you go with the cool look like other MMOs? (Because he video of guardian fighter showed a daily power which looked arcanish as it changed the terrain around it.) Though I think latter is better to get more players.

Q:- How many total number of powers will a paragon path provide? (3 like in pnp or more to make it more customisable in MMO?)

Q:- Will you have traditional animal companions like badger, hamsters, weasels, rats, bunnies and snakes? Or would they be more "cool" looking things?

Q:- Can a character choose their skills like in pnp? Will skills be based on 4e rules (all or none) or 3e rules?

Q:- Would skills give bonus on skill check based on party? (e.g. if my cleric has dungeoneering skill in my party, will I get +1 to it while using mine?)

Q:- Can rogue pickpocket? (Slieght of hand)

Q:- Is there any real big event planned in cannon of story like ressurection of Mystra, Eilistaree or Tyr?

Q:- Is there any specific use for Residium? In crafting? (You already announced Astral diamonds as zen exchange).

Q:- Is there any restriction on mobs murder - as like trolls can only really die by acid or fire or they stand back up?

Q:- Can we name our crafted item? Can we make it so you can talk with that item? Are there any items or weapons which will level up along with you (even if they are not powerful)?

Q:- Will mobs have roles like in Daggerdale? (I.e. one in mob is lurker who calls other while one controlls etc.)

Q:- Are there positional advantages in combat (Like one thief in front and one in back means more damage due to backstab?)

Q:- Will we have pull push mechanics - especially for telekinetic psionics - in the game?

Q:- How strict is death penelty?

Q:- How will you handle time mechanics - iirc there is a psionic paragon which can slow/stop time or make it fast. Would you rather skip that paragon or implement it somehow?

Posting the rest as it refused to accept more:-

Q:- Can dwarven women have beards?

Q:- Will halflings have same jump as other races or will their jump be lower due to height?

Q:- Are there any restrictions, control on how I want to name my character? (Like if I name my character as ModernWarfareMachine would there be any restriction on that?)

Q:- Would you consider power source before designing animations for characters or will you go with the cool look like other MMOs? (Because he video of guardian fighter showed a daily power which looked arcanish as it changed the terrain around it.) Though I think latter is better to get more players.

Q:- How many total number of powers will a paragon path provide? (3 like in pnp or more to make it more customisable in MMO?)

Q:- Will you have traditional animal companions like badger, hamsters, weasels, rats, bunnies and snakes? Or would they be more "cool" looking things?

Q:- Can a character choose their skills like in pnp? Will skills be based on 4e rules (all or none) or 3e rules?

Q:- Would skills give bonus on skill check based on party? (e.g. if my cleric has dungeoneering skill in my party, will I get +1 to it while using mine?)

Q:- Can rogue pickpocket? (Slieght of hand)

Q:- Is there any real big event planned in cannon of story like ressurection of Mystra, Eilistaree or Tyr?

Q:- Is there any specific use for Residium? In crafting? (You already announced Astral diamonds as zen exchange).

Q:- Is there any restriction on mobs murder - as like trolls can only really die by acid or fire or they stand back up?

Q:- Can we name our crafted item? Can we make it so you can talk with that item? Are there any items or weapons which will level up along with you (even if they are not powerful)?

Q:- Will mobs have roles like in Daggerdale? (I.e. one in mob is lurker who calls other while one controlls etc.)

Q:- Are there positional advantages in combat (Like one thief in front and one in back means more damage due to backstab?)

Q:- Will we have pull push mechanics - especially for telekinetic psionics - in the game?

Q:- How strict is death penelty?

Q:- How will you handle time mechanics - iirc there is a psionic paragon which can slow/stop time or make it fast. Would you rather skip that paragon or implement it somehow?

Are you still accepting questions?

Q:- Would we have shifters, especially werewolves in game at some point? There are some D&D werewolf fans who might want that...

Q:- Some attacks might have long animations. Would I be able to cancel them in between to dodge/utility?

Q:- Are there any alignment locks/gender locks to classes or paths?

Q:- What about titles? Titles based on particular killed monsters(like halfling killer)?

Q:- Crit attacks have always been more special in D&D followed by YES! and Na Na Na Na Na dance. Will we have special animations for crit attacks? Or a special victory pose like FF7?

Q:- Will we have meaningful female characters apart from wife gone berserk(valindra) or damsel in distress? (don't really want them though :p )

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The real only feature i see making this game worth playing is the Foundry system,so the most important question would be ...........Q: Is there any or will there be any cost related to using the foundry system?Will there be any cost related to playing other players content?

How in depth are the TOOLS?Can you manipujlate stats or will  any mob you tie into a triggered quest remain static?IS there any form of video/animation possible in your quest creation,or is it simply a case of typed words telling a player to go do this or that?

One of the problems i have with this kind of system,it creates a very limiting system becuase no way can you have all that content in the game world,so it ends up being an all out instanced game,so wil lany player created content be allowed in the game world or only in instances?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    How much instancing will be in the game and how many will be able to group together in a party.
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Q: Is there any or will there be any cost related to using the foundry system?Will there be any cost related to playing other players content?

How in depth are the TOOLS?Can you manipujlate stats or will  any mob you tie into a triggered quest remain static?IS there any form of video/animation possible in your quest creation,or is it simply a case of typed words telling a player to go do this or that?

One of the problems i have with this kind of system,it creates a very limiting system becuase no way can you have all that content in the game world,so it ends up being an all out instanced game,so wil lany player created content be allowed in the game world or only in instances?

Check this link for in detailed answers to these questions already been asked to devs on forum (and my thread there is stickied too, yay!!!).

To briefly say - foundry will be comepletly free except for number of slots which can be opened up by donations fro other players. That way good 5 star authors will get slots for free after they create some 5 star content. This is because on 1% of users actually use foundry so there should not be any barriers to them, according to devs. They do want some good content out there after all.

Players won't have to pay anything to play content - as I said they don't want any barriers on UGC.

You cannot control stats or loot to avoid exploitation. As Gamevetren said, truth's link to foundry contains a lot of video tutorials by devs in various conventions and in my opinion - it is very varied (but form your own after watching those).

Animations and SFX are possible but cutscenes may not be at launch (though engine supports them so this may change). You are free to place and model objects - only you can't modify terrain through mesh deformation yet - though you can modify it by object placement.

For now, foundry will be instanced and only the official areas will be open world. However, making persistant worlds is in wisjlist of devs and if they make it in game after launch will depend on what users/authors will demand.

p.s. No of slots in STO foundry are 8 which can be bought by Dilithium or Zen.

• KellaxKellax Member Posts: 1

When will the other core classes, specifically Warlock, be added to the game?

Also, in regard to the microtransaction service, can you provide mroe detailed information as to what will be available? Will we be able to purchase weapons, items, crafting components or will it be akin to DnD Online's extra classes and races?

And would it be possible to implement a deity powers system? This would entail the player either traveling to a particular deity's temple/shrine to gain a temporary bonus (deity based) or gaining a permanent bonus based upon worship of said deity? 

You could add a lot of depth (and content) by introducing deity worship, which would enable quests or possibly something even more epic. For instance, you could add a questline for Nerull to obtain a weapon or set of armor, but it would take you to the ends of the Earth (Neverwinter's most outer boundaries and a max level to finish), but you would also be able to complete the 'starter' quests at a very early level, such that when you profess your patronage to Nerull you are given temporary bonus that will last longer or become more powerful as you complete the questline or gain levels.

Or the end of the deity questline could end with a permanent bonus instead of a tangible (item based) reward.

And, of course, this would make the player carefully consider what deity he or she picks as a patron. However, the bonuses - if implemented as such - would have to be close enough that everyone wouldn't want to pick 'X' deity over 'Y' deity because of 'X' bonus. 

Another reward could be an item/weapon blessing that grants an extra effect.

Player1's sword occasionally infects targets with an effect/increases stat 'X'/instantly kills below 20%/etc... 

This would be based upon the deity picked as a patron.

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105

They said over and over you can’t have one quest “affect the outcome of another.” I think they worried about cheating..

Perhaps my question was unclear: the point of cookies is to get a weak sort of persistence inside a single module, not necessarily in different modules.  So, you can enter and exit the same module and there will be some memory of your past exploits.  So you could do stuff like gain rank in a castle guard or wizard school over a period of time instead of having to complete the module in one continous sitting.

Originally posted by Osmanthus

Perhaps my question was unclear: the point of cookies is to get a weak sort of persistence inside a single module, not necessarily in different modules.  So, you can enter and exit the same module and there will be some memory of your past exploits.  So you could do stuff like gain rank in a castle guard or wizard school over a period of time instead of having to complete the module in one continous sitting.

Persistant maps like that are on wishlist of devs but will not be at launch (or soon after launch). However, it is possible that if you log out or loose connection while inside the map of the quest, you will start in that region after logging in.

(from dev reply and STO foundry's experience)
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    How much longer do we have to wait?
  • masterluke83masterluke83 Member Posts: 1
    Many speak of "maximum 1-2 build" for each class at the launch of Neverwinter ... I want to know if, like in WoW and similar games, builds are actually very limited and the only variables related to the equipment, or if, in the tradition of D & D, in Neverwinter you'll be able to create at will many builds, mixing characteristic points, skills, feats, powers, and maybe even classes with multiclass?
  • PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    You have  said this game will release in  late 2012, but we are in November and have yet to even go into closed Beta. So, when will this game actually release?

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Presbytier
    You have  said this game will release in  late 2012, but we are in November and have yet to even go into closed Beta. So, when will this game actually release?

They have stated some time ago that the game will launch in the first half of 2013.

Originally posted by Presbytier

They have never given any date but previous estimates of their schedule were delayed. These delays are seen in positive light as it meant getting more budget for their game (and thus they being able to spend more on the game). NW was considered dark horse at first but it was able to generate a lot of hype from PAX and E3. Earlier delay from earliest estimate was due to it becoming MMO from co-op.

Lastest approximate is beta in early 2013, still they have not released exact date - or mentioned which beta would be in early 2013 - closed or open. However, it seems less likely that they will get any more funds therefore delay from this approximate time is highly unlikely.