Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Disney Deal

13»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Easy sell,Star Wars is no longer growing,it is a market that will slowly die out.The cost of trying to m,aintain it's stardom would be astronomical,one bad image be it fro ma game or movie and the franchise takes a huge dive.

At one time,way back in the Star Wars days there were very few marketable big name franchises,now there are a ton.Even more so i think marketing will shift from one to another,the long time staying power that SW's had will no longer be the norm.One year it might be the Shrek wave,the next it is the Pandaran wave ect ect.

27 billion perhaps is not really that big a number considering how long Star wars has been around,but all indications are that the franchise is dying at a rate faster than 100%.It's last movie and other sales were actually quite low,imo borderline profit.

What catches my eye is the numbers in many areas seem rather low,that tells me there has been a ton of black market items being sold off as original,i am sure this has cost Lucas tons more,probably in the billions.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Maybe Disney will just buy SWTOR from EA.
  • PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k

New films dunno who they would get to wrote them but hopefully Spielberg to direct. SWTOR was/is a farce, there is really no saving it since the foundation is so poorly constructed. Given the money spent on SWTOR and the poor returns I would say it sill live a while longer but dont expect any new Star Wars MMO projects any time soon and certainly nothing on this financial scale. Instead maybe we will see some more Single player Star Wars Games.Or maybe Disney roll all their IP's into one MMO project, World of Disney anyone ?

The foundation was and is solid, it is a well designed game and the mountain of awards and praise from game journalist shows this.Over 3 million copies were sold. That is most certainly not a poor return in PC game sales. They kept over a million subscribers over three months past launch. Sure it has dipped below that now, but it still is second place as far as subscription based MMOs go.

The real problem with SWTOR was their ambitious bussiness model; for some cockamany reason EA and the powers that be felt they could compete with WoW in subscription numbers, so by tying themselves to a sub model they essential shot themselves in the foot, leg, thigh, and back. The market has demonstrated that it is unwilling to allow another sub based game to exist at the same level as WoW. The F2P model will significantly boost their numbers; unfortunately the damage is already done as far as the internet is concerned even though SWTOR is one of the most highly populated MMORPGs out there.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Timassin
    Achesoma you should check out the repopulation. It's basically a recreation of swg coming out in 2014 probably

Either you never played SWG or you do have not read much about the repopulation.  It is nothing even close to what SWG was.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Disney also has Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films under its wings. If you think about it “Pulp Fiction” by Miramax was a Disney film, as I see it. True I don’t expect the Star Wars IP to be under the control of Miramax production, but maybe Touchstone. You can look up the list of Touchstone movies if you want, but they are good. And by association they are Disney properties.

Pirates of the Caribbean Online didn’t do so well as a subscription MMO. But I remain confident that a new Star Wars MMO can succeed, if done right. But what right is, I can not say. Is it a tab targeting, theme park, with more than 10 trinity based classes? I think so, and I believe if done right it will be a success.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
         Star Wars has pretty much been a non factor for 20+ years.....IF I were GL I'd take the 4 billion too.
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Achesoma you should check out the repopulation. It's basically a recreation of swg coming out in 2014 probably

Either you never played SWG or you do have not read much about the repopulation.  It is nothing even close to what SWG was.

The repopulation is a Sci-Fi skills based rpg MMO, with housing and crafting. That alone sounds like SWG to many people. I also have not played it, but from what I have read and seen it is a single open world. That alone makes it nothing like SWG. My point is you are both right. There are some feature that are similar enough to remind some of SWG. While other feature are somewhat different from SWG.

I don’t expect the gear and crafting to be identical to SWG. But even Galaxies had a socket based modification system similar to The RePop. The Mayoral system sounds more involved than what it was in SWG. The custom quest system and NPCs remembering player actions. Are all new, but many will see The RePop as a SWG 3.0 if it was allowed to grow and evolve.

I wish The RePop folks good luck and hope for the best. BTW the fps combat system sounds too much like the CU/NGE to me.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Konfess

The repopulation is a Sci-Fi skills based rpg MMO, with housing and crafting. That alone sounds like SWG to many people. I also have not played it, but from what I have read and seen it is a single open world. That alone makes it nothing like SWG. My point is you are both right. There are some feature that are similar enough to remind some of SWG. While other feature are somewhat different from SWG.

I don’t expect the gear and crafting to be identical to SWG. But even Galaxies had a socket based modification system similar to The RePop. The Mayoral system sounds more involved than what it was in SWG. The custom quest system and NPCs remembering player actions. Are all new, but many will see The RePop as a SWG 3.0 if it was allowed to grow and evolve.

I wish The RePop folks good luck and hope for the best. BTW the fps combat system sounds too much like the CU/NGE to me.

similarities are, but i believe that will be huge difference between them

Aion has housing and lotro too, but in both are for the LOLs

so we can only speculate till repop enters market

personally i dont think repop will get the good similarities of swg

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I've read Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire series. I felt he just didn't "get" Star Wars.

But hey, You can say that of Lucas himself nowadays.

Originally posted by defector1968

[edit]. Are all new, but many will see The RePop as a SWG 3.0 if it was allowed to grow and evolve.

The very reason I said SWG 3.0 is because the game seems different. But if you watch the alpha trailer in some spot you get a feeling of nostalgia and deja vu of SWG. At 0:27, 0:32, 0:36, 0:42, 1:00, & 1:20 if you stop the video you get a feel of SWG if the textures were modernized and the interface had been upgraded. 0:32 made me think of the rebel base on Rori and what it could have looked like with modern art.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Easy sell,Star Wars is no longer growing,it is a market that will slowly die out.The cost of trying to m,aintain it's stardom would be astronomical,one bad image be it fro ma game or movie and the franchise takes a huge dive.

At one time,way back in the Star Wars days there were very few marketable big name franchises,now there are a ton.Even more so i think marketing will shift from one to another,the long time staying power that SW's had will no longer be the norm.One year it might be the Shrek wave,the next it is the Pandaran wave ect ect.

27 billion perhaps is not really that big a number considering how long Star wars has been around,but all indications are that the franchise is dying at a rate faster than 100%.It's last movie and other sales were actually quite low,imo borderline profit.

What catches my eye is the numbers in many areas seem rather low,that tells me there has been a ton of black market items being sold off as original,i am sure this has cost Lucas tons more,probably in the billions.

1 I: The Phantom Menace $1,027,044,677

2 III: Revenge of the Sith $848,754,768

3 II: Attack of the Clones $649,398,328

Yes, they died on their feet and hardly turned a profit, although adjusted for inflation the figures are half that of the Original Trilogy, but still pretty impressive.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

[edit]. Are all new, but many will see The RePop as a SWG 3.0 if it was allowed to grow and evolve.

The very reason I said SWG 3.0 is because the game seems different. But if you watch the alpha trailer in some spot you get a feeling of nostalgia and deja vu of SWG. At 0:27, 0:32, 0:36, 0:42, 1:00, & 1:20 if you stop the video you get a feel of SWG if the textures were modernized and the interface had been upgraded. 0:32 made me think of the rebel base on Rori and what it could have looked like with modern art.

i was talking similarities for housing and crafting, since most ppl speak for those 2 between the games. those 2 make the SWG so unique. I dont se similarities between them.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN

i was talking similarities for housing and crafting, since most ppl speak for those 2 between the games. those 2 make the SWG so unique. I dont se similarities between them.

One of those time stamps I listed was for a housing decorating segment, and my comment about “interface had been upgraded” was all about the crafting and housing. The RePop tradeskill page even mentions SWG as an example of their goal. True the implementation once it is in our hands may be unrecognizable, but reading that list still says SWG to some folk.  Have to run an errand, so this will be my last post for today. Nice talking with ya.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    4 billion dollars ?!  Holy...

Knowing the community on these forums....im waiting for the "zomg they spent 4 billion dollars on content updates for SWTOR!!!"

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

Walt Disney and Time Warner are both in the buisness of buying out IP. TW bought out Turbine so it could have rights to the Lotro game, it wants everthing Tolkien under its belt. I am not sure the consumer or player is always getting a good deal of such buyouts but Pixar turned out well.

The bottom line is are they buying out an IP to close down on competition or to make money out of it. EA buy gamming companies, cherry pick a couple of titles and dismantle the company. I see little sign of that in WD and TW so it could be good news.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The real problem with TOR as I see it is not that the IP is inflexible, just that the mechanics it uses are made for fantasy games (originally Meridian 59 but evolved by EQ and Wow).

If Lucas art want to make a new SW MMO and actually create mechanics that fits the IP instead. Combat should be focused on blasters and lightsabers, with the force more of a backup thing like in the original movies. Healers just dont fit the IP, instead you would have to make mechanics to avoid damage and let people heal up automatically once combat is done.

Dodging needs to be more active, closer to Tera and GW2.

The force needs to be more flexible than just the standard MMO skills, allowing players to interact with the enviroment as well as for defense.

I would suggest either more FPS like or GW2/Tera with tab based combat for blasters but melee that is more arcade style.

Also, lightsabers need to hurt, and hurt a lot both to be like in the movies and to balance for the fact that you need to get up close. Parrying with them also needs to be simple (and actually stopping the attacking animation when you succed) so that lightsaber combat becomes the exciting duel between sith and jedis as it should.

Levels might be in or not, doesnt really matter for the IP as long as people cant stand still while someone hacks at them with a lightsaber. And lightsabers might indeed be very dangerous endgame gear, no problem.

Bioware and EA looked too much on Wow. To make a good MMO you can either pick a specific mechanics and make a world for it or you can pick a world and create a specific mechanic for it, you cant just smash the 2 together or the game wont feel like right at all.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    You're thinking Mount & blade battle (or something similar), only with lightsabers?