Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hipsters... hipsters everywhere

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Old fart joke (60s era) that might offer insight into fashionable non-conformity:

Man: So what are you all about?

Hippie:  I'm a non-conformist, an individual.  Fighting repression from the system.  I am my own person doing my own thing!

Man: So why the long hair, tie-died clothing and beads?

Hippie:  It's the uniform.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Have you noticed how everything popular seems to be bad and everything unpopular seems to be the greatest thing on earth? We are surrounded by hipsters, I tell you. And I hate hipsters...

Its not like the games they like require a refined taste or anything. They're unpopular for a reason: they are crap. They love to make the McDonalds argument whenever it suits them, but when they encounter a game they like its like dining in a 3-Michelin-star restaurant. I've played enough games to know there's no such thing as refined taste. So take that fastfood metaphor and shove it.

I know when I'm playing a mediocre game, and I'm not afraid to say so. Pirates of the Burning Sea was one of them. But only because I'm a sucker for Age of Sail-games. I'd only give it 6/10 but I still found it entertaining for good 3 weeks. Not everything I play is a masterpiece.

So if something is popular, it must be good at something. Anyone who says "its full of shit" is talking out of their arse.

There. I said it. I feel better for it.

I am a hipster

But I hate hipsters ...

I was a hipster since I was born - or let me use the right term for this NON-CONFORMIST

Its just my character, something in my blood.

Than in last few years we have this trend to hate everything mainstream , making you "HIP" and popular with "HIP" community.

I am just underlying the clear paradox of this. Being non conformist means you dont subscribe to trends. But they do.

Basicaly "hipsters" are fake.

However

And i can not stress this enough : popular =/= good ... at least not always.

Just look IMDB , you have mass vote there for movie rating. Yet some great movies have poor vote, and some shit have high vote. Why ?

Because real great works of art that move us - speak to limited number of people , when they speak to masses they are deluted in order to please everyone.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Have you noticed how everything popular seems to be bad and everything unpopular seems to be the greatest thing on earth? We are surrounded by hipsters, I tell you. And I hate hipsters...

Its not like the games they like require a refined taste or anything. They're unpopular for a reason: they are crap. They love to make the McDonalds argument whenever it suits them, but when they encounter a game they like its like dining in a 3-Michelin-star restaurant. I've played enough games to know there's no such thing as refined taste. So take that fastfood metaphor and shove it.

I know when I'm playing a mediocre game, and I'm not afraid to say so. Pirates of the Burning Sea was one of them. But only because I'm a sucker for Age of Sail-games. I'd only give it 6/10 but I still found it entertaining for good 3 weeks. Not everything I play is a masterpiece.

So if something is popular, it must be good at something. Anyone who says "its full of shit" is talking out of their arse.

Cancer's very popular and it is good at something, killing people. Let's embrace it.

Anyway. First things first, I love McDonalds.

Second, the "something popular so it must be good at something" argument. I'm trying to wrap my head around this one. I'm using Beiber for this as I don't follower popular culture. He's popular so he must be good at something.

IMO he's very average. Average singer, average songs(does he write his own songs?), average looking? So what the F is he good at? Making money? Manipulating what's trendy at the time to earn a fast buck? Thats not him doing it, it suits that are pulling his strings responsible.

Another thing, this has been going on for decades. People hating whats popular isn't going to change.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

No I dont notice how everything popular is bad. What is bad is bad and something can be both popular and bad because there are tons of other metrics besides popularity which decides if a game is good or not. 

Innovation, difficulty, depth, virtual world etc are things I look for when deciding if an MMO is good or not. Something which games like WoW and all their clones lack.

And this goes for movies and other media as well. I for example think that Prometheus was trash, so was Avatar. Both were more about technical effects rather than story and for me story is nr 1 when it comes to movies.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Mediocre games do suck butt but I will casually play them.  Occasionally they have a game dynamic that you cannot find anywhere else.  This one special dynamic might impress a few peeps so much that they become loyal.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Ah! you're talking about GW2 fans then.... no wait a minute that must be wrong because GW2 is mainstream and under appreciated for its revolutionary gameplay, gamers just don't get it... that doesn't make sense when held up against your argument does it?

Buh whut?

"There's a thread somewhere on mmorpg.com that isn't about GW2! Let's see if I can derail it."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by grimal

I can see that happening with the younger crowds.  But there are some...more mature folk here too.

You mean  us 50-somethings?

What in the world led you to believe they're immune to peer pressure?  More resistant, at best.

Remember Celine Dion and that #&@*&;$*^&! Titanic theme?  I hated the piece of crap with such a passion...simple overexposure...poor me, trapped in an office and cursed with 'lite rock' Musak that played it 1E+17 times a day, every day, for years... 

She'd best hope I'm never near Vegas with a weapon.

Edit. Nevermind. I'm not sure I even agree with what I posted.  Carry on :P

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Everywhere? Name 1 member that fits your description and the quotes to back it up. I haven't seen a single member here who hates only mainstream big budget mmos and loves only small obscure mmos. I'm waiting patiently :)

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Children, children everywhere.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Paradigm68

What an amazing rant for accepting what you're given uncritically.  And just because something is popular because it's good at something that doesn't mean the thing is good. McDonald's is really good at marketing. That doesn't make McDonald's good.

The point is: there is no "fine dining" in MMOs, therefore the fastfood metaphor is trashed.

Why bother creating fine dining when people are lapping up shit all the time?

Personally I don't gauge a games quality on it's popularity, nor do I dislike games simply because they are popular.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Ironicly, I doubt the hipsters could agree on what a fine dining MMO is...
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Psychow

They have, you just probably haven't heard of it...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Originally posted by BadSpock

True, but I like to think of myself as Tragically Hip.  (actual in game name for some of my avatars)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    nvm

You know, I read this before you deleted it.

Not really fair, I finally got you to admit you don't care for any MMORPG, and the question stills stands.  Do you now (or did you ever) consider any MMORPG a good "game" or are you so hip you don't enjoy any of them?

What exactly are you looking for?

While most hipsters are pretty clear what they dislike, trying to figure out what they are looking for is the real challenge.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Agreed 100%.  I am one of those types who hate anything indie, indie things make me sick and want to puke!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Kyleran

True, but I like to think of myself as Tragically Hip.  (actual in game name for some of my avatars)

It's like the iconic hipster joke -

What's a hipster's favorite band?

I don't know, you've probably never heard of them...

It is ironic when people complain about hipsters. As hipsters in general are ironic because by being hipsters they are popular and trendy. It's like Goth kids rejecting social norms - to adapt a different set of social norms.

The real joke is humanity - one big punch line.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Honestly Quirhid...I agree with you lol.

It seems that the more popular and well received a game is, the more hate it gets.  I mean, compare the amount of hate that Guild Wars 2 gets on these forums to the amount of hate that Mortal Online gets...then ask yourself which one is the better game lol :).

And most of the folks that post negative things about popular games are fans of obscure or dead games that most people don't know about.  Many of them even go so far as to argue that said popular games don't even qualify as MMORPGs.

The craziest thing is that I even like the older games like UO...heck I even enjoyed Darkfall.  The difference is that I don't let that stop me from liking the more popular games like GW2.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

It is ironic when people complain about hipsters. As hipsters in general are ironic because by being hipsters they are popular and trendy. It's like Goth kids rejecting social norms - to adapt a different set of social norms.

Agreed.

Somebody on these boards said something about a recent MMO feeling "soulless"... it's soulless because Humanity has lost it's soul. Can't make something really good and useful with crap tools.

We just got to get the good tools back we misplaced is all.

I don't like hipsters...too mainstream ;).

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Creslin321

It seems that the more popular and well received a game is, the more hate it gets.  I mean, compare the amount of hate that Guild Wars 2 gets on these forums to the amount of hate that Mortal Online gets...then ask yourself which one is the better game lol :).

And most of the folks that post negative things about popular games are fans of obscure or dead games that most people don't know about.  Many of them even go so far as to argue that said popular games don't even qualify as MMORPGs.

The craziest thing is that I even like the older games like UO...heck I even enjoyed Darkfall.  The difference is that I don't let that stop me from liking the more popular games like GW2.

Have you visited Mortal Online forum section?  It get alot of hate for years. I mean alot - buckets load of steaming poo.  It is just less noticeable because it is like 1000x less popular.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Bieber great, Gorrilas suck, and if you like the Gorrilas you a hipster image
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Hey, you were going for a nicely-veiled The Comedian cynicism, weren't you?

You hipster you! :)

Originally posted by fenistil

Have you visited Mortal Online forum section?  It get alot of hate for years. I mean alot - buckets load of steaming poo.  It is just less noticeable because it is like 1000x less popular.

Hehe that's a good point.  I probably just never see it because the 3 people that play and care about MO keep to themselves ;).

Still though, I feel like popular games get a lot of hate from people that don't play, and never plan to play them.  While a more obscure, yet bad, game will only get hate (often legitimate) from its actual player base.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I don't like hipsters...too mainstream ;).

Well actually hipsters are preety mainstream thing for years now.  Big clothing corporations are making hipstery-homeless style clothes,  for years every self-respecitng hipster would have iPhone or MacBook, companies producing glasses went with increased amount of retro style glasses for hipsters,  etc 

So by complaining about hipsters you're countering mainstream so you're well...hipster :p

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Honestly, hipsters who hate on people hating hipsters that hate people that might be hipsters that hate people.. are too mainstream, so yeah.

Thread's shit, GG.