Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hipsters... hipsters everywhere

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Doesn't matter. If you bring up up the Nazis or Hitler you lose the argument.

Kind of dubious if it constitutes an argument yet, as of the first response.

But you knew you were adopting a predjudicial stance, and so expected an argument, right?

(Careful, that's the classic, original definiton of "troll")

Its not prejudice, its an observation. Healthy critisism towards self-righteous posters who've become increasingly vocal lately. Anything mainstream is trash and anything they like and its under-appreciated.

Psh...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Its not prejudice, its an observation. Healthy critisism towards self-righteous posters who've become increasingly vocal lately. Anything mainstream is trash and anything they like and its under-appreciated.

Psh...

Soo...you being self-righteous is okay, but if they do it...

No, really not trying to start an argument here.  But a lot of your originally expressed POV is pretty hypocritical.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Jabas

Im bad at english so maybe thats why i dont get this thread.

Whats is the problem someone dont like or even hate something that mass's like it?

You cal them Hipe's, and you say you hate them..

why?

because they were popular?

It is because they seem to dislike a game because it is popular -> Too mainstream -> Hipster.

Psh...

How am I self-righteous?

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    between hitler and disco...I think it's macarena time.

I now have the song, video, and wedding line-dance images stuck in my brain.  Thanks, I hate you.  I'm going to McDonalds.  Couple McDoubles and a McChicken should clear my head.

Psh...

How am I self-righteous?

Preaching against self-righteousness, of course.

You're just attempting to pre-empt someone's viewpoint, before they even express it.  :shrug:

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Psh...

How am I self-righteous?

Well then, none of us can avoid it. You yourself are self-righteous.

Psh...

How am I self-righteous?

Well then, none of us can avoid it. You yourself are self-righteous.

Indeed, that is often the case.

But I'm not the one on the soap box.  That's you.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    There are certain people with this mindset.  However, isn't this mindset more prevalent in teenagers?  I honestly don't recall having met anyone like this for a long long time.
    Originally posted by grimal
    There are certain people with this mindset.  However, isn't this mindset more prevalent in teenagers?  I honestly don't recall having met anyone like this for a long long time.

You can watch it happen with pop stars pretty often.  Groovy until they sell a few too many records, then the crowd turns.

No surprise, it happens with MMOs too.  The Marketing is pretty similar.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

The thing is, there are always going be bad things said about everything. It's just that people tend to notice when critiques are made of popular items. It's just probability. There are some popular things that I dislike, not because they are popular, rather because I don't like them. For instance, I thought that X-Men First Class was a really bad movie, and it confuses me how popular it is. The same with Borderlands 2. Though, I don't think it's particularly a bad game, but I don't see why it's so popular. It's a retread of the first game w/ day1 DLC, that already has several other DLC packs shortly after its release. Other games (namely anything by EA) get lambasted for doing anything like that, so why does Gearbox get a free ride? I don't dislike Gearbox, but I'm not afraid to call them on their shit. By the definition that you established, I'm considered a hipster. However, I fail to see why that label should apply because I don't fall in line about few popular pieces of media.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

You can watch it happen with pop stars pretty often.  Groovy until they sell a few too many records, then the crowd turns.

No surprise, it happens with MMOs too.  The Marketing is pretty similar.

I can see that happening with the younger crowds.  But there are some...more mature folk here too.

I can see that happening with the younger crowds.  But there are some...more mature folk here too.

You mean  us 50-somethings?

What in the world led you to believe they're immune to peer pressure?  More resistant, at best.

Remember Celine Dion and that #&@*&;$*^&! Titanic theme?  I hated the piece of crap with such a passion...simple overexposure...poor me, trapped in an office and cursed with 'lite rock' Musak that played it 1E+17 times a day, every day, for years... 

She'd best hope I'm never near Vegas with a weapon.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I rarely follow the mainstream because the mainstream seems to be not what I want most of the time. It' not because I want to portray a certain image.

Take PS3, if I followed the mainstream and look at the top 10 games I find:

Battlefield 3

Call of Duty

Mass Effect

Borderlands

Resident Evil

So .... 6 shooters.... that's the mainstream. Those 6 games are probably not the best PS3 games at all, it's just because the mainstream on consoles are boys who like playing with guns and the studios behind it have the money to deliver decent games, but that doesn't mean they are the best, they are the best known and get the best scores because they're popular.

Now take PS3 games that aren't  mainstream at all:

Folklore

Journey

They belong in that top and are way better than most generic shooters, but they are not mainstream at all, in fact I bet you every COD or Battlefield or Halo game outsells those games 10 to 1, but that doesn't mean they're bad games, they're just not mainstream.

Same with music, are Justin bieber or lady gaga really that good? They're just popular.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Maybe I've had different experiences with people in social environments, but I believe it's true, that in large groups, human beings are fucking stupid. Individually without any outside force or pressure, without the necessity to conform or receive guilt from our peers, a single person can be quite brilliant and rational. This is what I believe based on the experiences of my life.

So when someone says to me that something popular is worthwhile or succesful due to the expressed opinion of a large group of people, I feel a bit offended. Asking dissenters to think the way a majority thinks, or to do what the majority does simply because it's easy, is essentially asking me to stop critically analyzing the entertainment I ingest, and to do so would be stifling my personality, or what really makes me, "me".

"We are what we eat." Sound familiar? It applies to everything we consume, not just food.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Maybe I've had different experiences with people in social environments, but I believe it's true, that in large groups, human beings are fucking stupid. Individually without any outside force or pressure, without the necessity to conform or receive guilt from our peers, a single person can be quite brilliant and rational. This is what I believe based on the experiences of my life.

So when someone says to me that something popular is worthwhile or succesful due to the expressed opinion of a large group of people, I feel a bit offended. Asking dissenters to think the way a majority thinks, or to do what the majority does simply because it's easy, is essentially asking me to stop critically analyzing the entertainment I ingest, and to do so would be stifling my personality, or what really makes me, "me".

"We are what we eat." Sound familiar? It applies to everything we consume, not just food.

Are you any different with say... TV-series: If I recommended Breaking Bad or Newsroom to you what would you say? (Seriously. Check out Newsroom if you haven't already)

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Are you any different with say... TV-series: If I recommended Breaking Bad or Newsroom to you what would you say? (Seriously. Check out Newsroom if you haven't already)

You can probably imagine that I don't watch very much TV. In your specific examples, I'd probably tell you that I've thought about starting Breaking Bad several times, though never have, and that I absolutely detest Newsroom. Hopefully that's not a surprise.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Paradigm68

What an amazing rant for accepting what you're given uncritically.  And just because something is popular because it's good at something that doesn't mean the thing is good. McDonald's is really good at marketing. That doesn't make McDonald's good.

The point is: there is no "fine dining" in MMOs, therefore the fastfood metaphor is trashed.

There has been fine dining in MMO's. You're inability to recognize it, doesn't mean it's not true.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by evolver1972

The masses don't always know what they're talking about.  Which is why true democracy sucks.

"Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something."

"Autocracy is based on the assumption that one man is wiser than a million men. Let's play that over again, too. Who decides?"

That's why I'm glad I live in a Democratic Republic....:)

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424

Have you noticed how everything popular seems to be bad and everything unpopular seems to be the greatest thing on earth? We are surrounded by hipsters, I tell you. And I hate hipsters...

Its not like the games they like require a refined taste or anything. They're unpopular for a reason: they are crap. They love to make the McDonalds argument whenever it suits them, but when they encounter a game they like its like dining in a 3-Michelin-star restaurant. I've played enough games to know there's no such thing as refined taste. So take that fastfood metaphor and shove it.

I know when I'm playing a mediocre game, and I'm not afraid to say so. Pirates of the Burning Sea was one of them. But only because I'm a sucker for Age of Sail-games. I'd only give it 6/10 but I still found it entertaining for good 3 weeks. Not everything I play is a masterpiece.

So if something is popular, it must be good at something. Anyone who says "its full of shit" is talking out of their arse.

There. I said it. I feel better for it.

Honestly i have no idea what the hell your problem actually is. 0-o   Some people need to dislike something that is popular for the sole reason that it gives them a certain satisfaction. For those individuals they can feel like they are not one of those lemmings. Frankly I could not give a ddamn about something i like or dislike. Que Sera, Sera

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• 3SulpNietorp3SulpNietorp Member Posts: 13
    They love to make the McDonalds argument whenever it suits them, but when they encounter a game they like its like dining in a 3-Michelin-star restaurant. I've played enough games to know there's no such thing as refined taste. So take that fastfood metaphor and shove it.

I haven't ingested fast-food for years, and now the smell makes me nauseous. All I ask for is a chess.

The EQ Next ideas thread: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=399389

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

But you knew you were adopting a predjudicial stance, and so expected an argument, right?

Psh...

Ah! you're talking about GW2 fans then.... no wait a minute that must be wrong because GW2 is mainstream and under appreciated for its revolutionary gameplay, gamers just don't get it... that doesn't make sense when held up against your argument does it?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

What an amazing rant for accepting what you're given uncritically.  And just because something is popular because it's good at something that doesn't mean the thing is good. McDonald's is really good at marketing. That doesn't make McDonald's good.

The point is: there is no "fine dining" in MMOs, therefore the fastfood metaphor is trashed.

There has been fine dining in MMO's. You're inability to recognize it, doesn't mean it's not true.

We have only your word for it. What prevents anyone from claiming their preferred game is fine dining?

You need to prove that there is fine dining. I cannot prove a negative.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

We have only your word for it. What prevents anyone from claiming their preferred game is fine dining?

You need to prove that there is fine dining. I cannot prove a negative.

Fine dining MMO's will be very niche as the cost to play will be high. Just like eating in a Michelin star restaurant.

Originally posted by Calerxes

Psh...

Ah! you're talking about GW2 fans then.... no wait a minute that must be wrong because GW2 is mainstream and under appreciated for its revolutionary gameplay, gamers just don't get it... that doesn't make sense when held up against your argument does it?

Is GW2 under appreciated?