Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hipsters... hipsters everywhere

QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Have you noticed how everything popular seems to be bad and everything unpopular seems to be the greatest thing on earth? We are surrounded by hipsters, I tell you. And I hate hipsters...

Its not like the games they like require a refined taste or anything. They're unpopular for a reason: they are crap. They love to make the McDonalds argument whenever it suits them, but when they encounter a game they like its like dining in a 3-Michelin-star restaurant. I've played enough games to know there's no such thing as refined taste. So take that fastfood metaphor and shove it.

I know when I'm playing a mediocre game, and I'm not afraid to say so. Pirates of the Burning Sea was one of them. But only because I'm a sucker for Age of Sail-games. I'd only give it 6/10 but I still found it entertaining for good 3 weeks. Not everything I play is a masterpiece.

So if something is popular, it must be good at something. Anyone who says "its full of shit" is talking out of their arse.

There. I said it. I feel better for it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.

Hitler was popular.

So was disco.

The masses don't always know what they're talking about.  Which is why true democracy sucks.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Have you noticed how everything popular seems to be bad and everything unpopular seems to be the greatest thing on earth? We are surrounded by hipsters, I tell you. And I hate hipsters...

Its not like the games they like require a refined taste or anything. They're unpopular for a reason: they are crap. They love to make the McDonalds argument whenever it suits them, but when they encounter a game they like its like dining in a 3-Michelin-star restaurant. I've played enough games to know there's no such thing as refined taste. So take that fastfood metaphor and shove it.

I know when I'm playing a mediocre game, and I'm not afraid to say so. Pirates of the Burning Sea was one of them. But only because I'm a sucker for Age of Sail-games. I'd only give it 6/10 but I still found it entertaining for good 3 weeks. Not everything I play is a masterpiece.

So if something is popular, it must be good at something. Anyone who says "its full of shit" is talking out of their arse.

Maybe you could talk these things through with real acquaintances.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@OP

For me your post seem hipstery to be honest.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    I play EVE and it definitely is an acquired taste.

That's all I'm saying.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

What an amazing rant for accepting what you're given uncritically.  And just because something is popular because it's good at something that doesn't mean the thing is good. McDonald's is really good at marketing. That doesn't make McDonald's good.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I play EVE and it definitely is an acquired taste.

That's all I'm saying.

If that's all you're saying, I could say the same about any game out there - even WoW.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

We need Everquest Next now more than ever. Another casualty and grim reminder of the destructive power of the Age of Wow.

Originally posted by Paradigm68

What an amazing rant for accepting what you're given uncritically.  And just because something is popular because it's good at something that doesn't mean the thing is good. McDonald's is really good at marketing. That doesn't make McDonald's good.

The point is: there is no "fine dining" in MMOs, therefore the fastfood metaphor is trashed.

Is it worth to point out that I don't even like WoW?

I don't really think it matters.

Originally posted by fenistil

Lets face it: some people are going to make that assumption.

Propably. People generally make alot of assumptions.  All manners of people.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

So you like a game which is popular at the moment and any critique of said game is only done by the hipsters because its popular and not because it might have some flaws? being critical is what most intelligent gamers will do when they are investigating the new kid on the block its a natural expression of an enquiring mind. But it doesn't mean that those same gamers cannot enjoy a flawed game does it?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

My assumption is you don't actually like any MMORPG style games. Am I wrong?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

nvm

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Hitler was popular.

So was disco.

The masses don't always know what they're talking about.  Which is why true democracy sucks.

Wow, it only took the first reponse to the OP to mention Hitler.image  New record?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Yeah, it provides the calories but doesn't really satisfy the palate.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Hitler was popular.

So was disco.

Wow, it only took the first reponse to the OP to mention Hitler.image  New record?

Perfect example of my first statement.  :)

I also mentioned *gasp* disco!  :P

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't know I have middlebrow tastes.

E.g. I hate things like the xfactor and big brother, low brow tv.
    But I'm not into watching glydebourne opera, or some Chekhov dramatisation either, high brow tv.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

SWToR was incredibly popular  and it wasnt bad....... ohh wait ...........................nm

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

"Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something."

"Autocracy is based on the assumption that one man is wiser than a million men. Let's play that over again, too. Who decides?"

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    MMO these days are for nerds wannabes. You have a lot to hate indeed.

Originally posted by Ginaz

Hitler was popular.

So was disco.

Perfect example of my first statement.  :)

I also mentioned *gasp* disco!  :P

Doesn't matter. If you bring up up the Nazis or Hitler you lose the argument.

Godwin's law anyone?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Doesn't matter. If you bring up up the Nazis or Hitler you lose the argument.

Kind of dubious if it constitutes an argument yet, as of the first response.

But you knew you were adopting a predjudicial stance, and so expected an argument, right?

(Careful, that's the classic, original definiton of "troll")

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Im bad at english so maybe thats why i dont get this thread.

Whats is the problem someone dont like or even hate something that mass's like it?

You cal them Hipe's, and you say you hate them..

why?

because they were popular?