Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online - Sandbox MMO

Comments

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by blognorg

Originally posted by f0dell54

Originally posted by ragz45

Originally posted by negativf4kk

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Originally posted by Gundric ... Korean mmo  
    Pass.
      LoL just thinking the same thing.  I see Korean and it's an instant pass... 
    very objective
    Heh I lived in Pohang for 6 years as part of my Military service.  I got the chance to play many games with Koreans, and really get into their gaming culture.  While I appreciate it for what it is.  It is still an instant pass for me, because Korean games are made for a different type of adudience than what I enjoy. Most Korean's pay for internet access by the minuite or by the MB.  Thus their games are developed with more of a grindy aspect in mind.  Because grinding is the best way for them to get a sense of accomplishment in a short ammount of time.  Story's and living, breathing, worlds take a lot longer to evolve, thus cost them more in connection costs. This is slowly changing as the upperclass in Korea is starting to pay a monthly fee for internet access, but by slowly changing I'm talking a snail's pace.  In 5-10 years we may see Korean games with more of a western approach to games with in depth story and more of a living breathing world.  But for the time being, until their internet payment models change, we will continue to see grindy type games coming out of Korea.
      What does this have to do with anything? All this says is that you think Korean games are grindy unevolved games. Basically rubbish.   Your opinion is no different then negativf4kk. So, again very objective. Game looks awesome by the way can't wait to try it.

I'm not sure objective means what you think it does. Subjective seems to fit your context better. Regardless, some people are going to be turned off to Korean games, because of their history. Admittedly, it turned me off a bit, too, because I've only played one Korean game that I liked; and it was an old one. I must have tried at least ten in the last several years and hated all of them. I'm going to reserve my judgement on this one until I play it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Right over your head, by a mile or two.

I think I may have been too subtle for you; I thought you were going to run with it. My bad.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by lalartu

guys, you do realize that Guild Wars 1/2, City of Heroes/Villains, Tera Online and a bunch of other successful games are "Korean MMOs" 

NCSoft is Korean

Well.. not exactly. Guild Wars is from ANet and City of Heroes from Cryptic Studios/Paragon Studios, both companies from NA though both part of NCSoft.. but there NA devision.

Tera Online is from Korea.

The point why a lot of ppl think that koreans game are not good is because the amount of cheaply produced f2p games.

But almost all games from NCSoft Lineage, Lineage2, Aion are first class, if you like it or not is another point.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I hope the new era of sandbox games (ArcheAge and this) will become HUGE in Korea. Maybe the western devs will some day see the light, too.

Still waiting for UO 2.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    the problem with all MMOs developed by Asian developers (at least imho), is that although the visual detail can be stunning - as is the case with this one - if you actually watch videos of the game the gameplay eerily resembles coin-op machines of the 90's.
  • AvisonAvison Member Posts: 350

My only problem with Korean mmos is that all patches and content are designed for their demographic. It takes ages for anything to ever get to our side. And IF they decide to do some kind of patch for our demographic it takes 4x longer than a patch would for theirs.

By being a Korean mmo it automatically stratifies the userbase and slows the games percievable evolution on our end.

In this sense when I hear the term "Korean MMO" I think of games that are either trash or are good but will never be timely with the U.S audience. Of course such a connotation is negative and automatically gravitates me towards passing on the title.

However, I always look into games further and it becomes easy to tell what is and isn't worth my time as I get more experience within "the business". Given that I have about 20 years of experience as an observer, an analytical mind, common sense, and according to MENSA "savant like ability for pattern recognition" (not to toot my own horn... it comes with OCD that wastes hours of my time each day)... I find I can tell how a game will be recieved, how well it will succeed, how popular it will be, and how "good" a game will be with high accuracy.

This game will just be another mark on a long line of mediocre releases. Primarily due to the fact that more action oriented mmos are becomming the norm and that it will be considered sub-par to the theoretical offerings available when it releases.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Is this what the cool kids do nowadays, hating on eastern MMOs just for being eastern?

I don't like Japanamation style or themed games. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Is this what the cool kids do nowadays, hating on eastern MMOs just for being eastern?

Nio its MMORPG.com, they find reasons to complain about every game in the market, thats what people do here, didn't you know??

They love to troll here.. Look at every forum and game....

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Gundric

Some details on housing from Massively.com:

Curious about Black Desert's sandbox pedigree? We are too, and it looks as if the newly announced Korean import from Pearl Abyss isn't skimping when it comes to player housing.

The game's Facebook fanpage revealed that players will be able to purchase all of the houses in the game's cities and towns. That's not all, as you can also turn part of your humble abode into a shop or a crafting area as well as create furniture and cabinets to store your valuables. Pearl Abyss seems to be aiming for lively cities and towns, as it will not allow players to build houses anywhere in the open world, though temporary tents are an option.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/24/black-deserts-housing-system-detailed/

I have been saying on this site for years that THIS is the BEST way to do housing in a MMO that you could possibly do.

Glad someone is finally going to do housing in a MMO correctly. If they pull off the rest and make the game not suck terribly, the housing done this way would be reason enough for me to check this game out.

• fuzzylogic11fuzzylogic11 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Shutup and take my money...
  • PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

... Korean mmo

Pass.

This

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    Originally posted by Theocritus

... Korean mmo

Pass.

Yeah I havent played one I liked yet either.....

Same here.  Far too much grind in every one I've ever tried.  They do have nice graphics though.  Having said that, you never know, this one might break the mould and change my mind.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I think i may be willing to give it a shot. Love a good sandbox.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Looks decent. We will see how it progresses.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    The weapons are smaller than the people. I might give this one a chance.
  • frblackfrblack Member Posts: 21

It looks really beautiful, i'm only worried about performance...

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Some details on housing from Massively.com:

Curious about Black Desert's sandbox pedigree? We are too, and it looks as if the newly announced Korean import from Pearl Abyss isn't skimping when it comes to player housing.

The game's Facebook fanpage revealed that players will be able to purchase all of the houses in the game's cities and towns. That's not all, as you can also turn part of your humble abode into a shop or a crafting area as well as create furniture and cabinets to store your valuables. Pearl Abyss seems to be aiming for lively cities and towns, as it will not allow players to build houses anywhere in the open world, though temporary tents are an option.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/24/black-deserts-housing-system-detailed/

I have been saying on this site for years that THIS is the BEST way to do housing in a MMO that you could possibly do.

Glad someone is finally going to do housing in a MMO correctly. If they pull off the rest and make the game not suck terribly, the housing done this way would be reason enough for me to check this game out.

Yes, I completely agree, and it does sound great.  But, let us not forget, that oftentimes these great sounding features tend to get cut or dumbed down or otherwise diminished between first-detailing and release.  Hopefully, they will really do it and start a new trend of housing, but there's still a long time for this game's developers to start stripping and cutting those on-paper features.

I can't count the number of times where developers give details to some great-sounding feature, then scrap it sometime during/before beta because they either don't want to bother with it or don't have time for it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    game has some neat ideas.. surely one that's on my radar:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Where is the Game Listing on MMORPG.com?

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    The listing process is described in the FAQ here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    The housing reminds me of a elder scrolls / SWG hybrid. It could be an interesting way to stop ghost town sprawl and yet allow for player shops. This could be good. Only time will tell. The screenshots look fantadtic.
  • rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    korean mmo = pass coz they never get to an outside publisher in time to be competitive or even relevant

hallo ~_~

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Krashner

... Korean mmo

Pass.

I'm having a lot of trouble overlooking that aswell. The game looks good and the concept is really good, but it's a shame it isn't being made by a western developer.

Racism? That's all I can think of because the worlds art design isn't even eastern, and most of the characters in the preview don't look Asian.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by denshing
    Originally posted by Krashner

... Korean mmo

Pass.

I'm having a lot of trouble overlooking that aswell. The game looks good and the concept is really good, but it's a shame it isn't being made by a western developer.

Racism? That's all I can think of because the worlds art design isn't even eastern, and most of the characters in the preview don't look Asian.

wizard and the archer look very tolkien inspired to me...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131

... Korean mmo

Pass.

We are two now, and it is nothing about racism, but this is the kind of game with very beautiful scenes and models but I can assure the features won't be more than what we already have seen. Look at the combat, it looks Dragon Ball Zish.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by negativf4kk
    Most if not all western made mmo are rubish, PvE Raid based single player with co-op mode games.  Only westerners can call them MMO.

Calling a game rubbish because you don't enjoy that game type isn't really objective.  I hate open ended sandbox style games, but I don't call them rubbish.  They are just not my cup O tea.

It's not objective to pass on a game simply because it's Korean and you don't like the past ones. That's like saying that since the last movie you saw was bad, you will pass on every movie to ever come out because you assume that they will all be just as bad. It ignores the very fact that most if not all of the developers working on this MMO are different people from those who developed past Korean MMO's.

Pass on every Korean MMO made, because they haven't made one you like yet, so they obviously never will, because Korean's are incapable of making MMO's that you like.

That's extremely subjective, and racist.