Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2: Next Content Update Arrives November 15th

evilpreyevilprey CalafatPosts: 67Member Uncommon

In a post to the Guild Wars 2 forums today, ArenaNet’s Martin Kerstein announced that the second major update for the MMORPG will arrive on November 15th.

"We heard your questions about extending the Halloween event for those of you affected by Sandy. Unfortunately we cannot do that, but the reason why we can’t is exciting: We are preparing for our big November update, which will start on November 15, and there will be content that will be in the game prior to that, leading up to the event. But we also want to use this moment to remind you all that your personal safety is much more important than any computer game. If you could be affected by the storm, please listen to the authorities and take every precaution to ensure you and your loved ones are safe. Tyria will still be there once the storm is over."

While Kerstein didn’t reveal much more than that, some possible clues to features may have already been given. In the meantime, stay safe if you're in the storm area and we’ll update you when we have more.

source:tentonhammer

Comments

• PainlezzPainlezz Laguna Hills, CAPosts: 620Member Uncommon

What was the first update?  Halloween?   I seem to recall lots of negative comments about ho poor the last major update was.

Not very excited for this one till I see somethin real!

• muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Painlezz

What was the first update?  Halloween?   I seem to recall lots of negative comments about ho poor the last major update was.

when the halloween patch hit they also added 10 or so jumping puzzles.  i guess those were the first.

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member

only complaints I saw about the event was the skins thing.. hardly an overly negative response.. the event has been huge success from what I have seen ingame..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member
    the pvp halloween games are fun.  I think they should stay in.  Almost skipped them because I'm not a big pvp guy but they're a blast, seriously.
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Osaka, ARPosts: 363Member
    Can someone move this to the GW2 forum, I´d like at least one place where I don´t see discussions about that title
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Simpsonville, SCPosts: 777Member

Hardly.

• HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member

What do you personally get out of making such sweeping false generalizations?  While I'm sure there were players who didn't enjoy parts of the 4 acts, to blatantly ignore the overwhelmingly positive responses is to just flat out misrepresent the situation.  Are you hoping that by reciting "people thought it sucked" enough times that readers will start to believe it and it will actually become true?

As for me, while my personal MMO experience has essentially been limited to 3 or 4 games over the past decade, I can confidently say that none of those games has ever come remotely close to offering the amount and quality of content for a simple holiday event that GW2 has with its halloween event.  

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,503Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Homitu

What do you personally get out of making such sweeping false generalizations?  While I'm sure there were players who didn't enjoy parts of the 4 acts, to blatantly ignore the overwhelmingly positive responses is to just flat out misrepresent the situation.  Are you hoping that by reciting "people thought it sucked" enough times that readers will start to believe it and it will actually become true?

As for me, while my personal MMO experience has essentially been limited to 3 or 4 games over the past decade, I can confidently say that none of those games has ever come remotely close to offering the amount and quality of content for a simple holiday event that GW2 has with its halloween event.  

I was honestly shocked by how much there was there and the quality level of it. And this was for a single holiday. People were obviously wrong about the amount of content a B2P game is capable of putting out. 

I can't wait to see what they have planned for the 15th.

• HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member
    Originally posted by colddog04

I was honestly shocked by how much there was there and the quality level of it. And this was for a single holiday. People were obviously wrong about the amount of content a B2P game is capable of putting out. 

For almost 10 days, players were able to log on for several hours per day and do nothing but halloween related stuff!  That's a LOT of content.  From a unique dungeon with a multi-phase encounter, several layers and jumping puzzles in between; to 3 unique and polished mini games, 2 of which were essentially creative battlegrounds in their own unique zones; to the Labyrinth, to the riddle chain to uncover the ghosts and complete the memoires, to the Durmond Priory event chains that lead up to the opening of the Mad King's realm, to all the traditional MMO holiday filler tasks like farming candy corn and carving pumpkins.  I think I've put in a full single player RPG's worth of time into just this halloween stuff, and, aside from the filler tasks mentioned above (which btw in some MMOs constitute the primary holiday content), never felt like I was brainlessly grinding something out just for the sake of completing the event.  

Now I have my criticisms, mostly with how every important reward in the game is solely a function of your wallet and the mystic forge/trading post market, which is currently at the mercy of a few monopolizers and, of course, the bots, gold sellers and exploiters.  But that's a separate discussion that permeates the entire game at the moment.   From a pure content perspective, this holiday event was ridiculous by MMO standards.   And a ridiculous success.  

• QSatuQSatu WarsawPosts: 1,735Member Uncommon

I agree with you completely Homitu. you put it very nicely.

I'm surprised they plan to put it out on the 15th. I expected very end of November but I can't complain =]

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member

For almost 10 days, players were able to log on for several hours per day and do nothing but halloween related stuff!  That's a LOT of content.  From a unique dungeon with a multi-phase encounter, several layers and jumping puzzles in between; to 3 unique and polished mini games, 2 of which were essentially creative battlegrounds in their own unique zones; to the Labyrinth, to the riddle chain to uncover the ghosts and complete the memoires, to the Durmond Priory event chains that lead up to the opening of the Mad King's realm, to all the traditional MMO holiday filler tasks like farming candy corn and carving pumpkins.  I think I've put in a full single player RPG's worth of time into just this halloween stuff, and, aside from the filler tasks mentioned above (which btw in some MMOs constitute the primary holiday content), never felt like I was brainlessly grinding something out just for the sake of completing the event.  

Now I have my criticisms, mostly with how every important reward in the game is solely a function of your wallet and the mystic forge/trading post market, which is currently at the mercy of a few monopolizers and, of course, the bots, gold sellers and exploiters.  But that's a separate discussion that permeates the entire game at the moment.   From a pure content perspective, this holiday event was ridiculous by MMO standards.   And a ridiculous success.  

very much agreed while of course there were some minor hiccups and bugs overall i can't think of any holiday event in recent memory that has had this much going on.. truely a great holiday experience.. and unheard of imho for a game with no monthly sub.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon

These sorts of posts puzzle me. 

"I seem to recall lots of negative comments about ho poor the last major update was"  - equates to I don't play the game, so I'm going off of second hand information.

followed by "Not very excited for this one till I see somethin real!"

Of course, it's an assumption that he hasn't played. Maybe I just read to much into his post. 

Everybody has the right to share.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,609Member Uncommon

What do you personally get out of making such sweeping false generalizations?  While I'm sure there were players who didn't enjoy parts of the 4 acts, to blatantly ignore the overwhelmingly positive responses is to just flat out misrepresent the situation.  Are you hoping that by reciting "people thought it sucked" enough times that readers will start to believe it and it will actually become true?As for me, while my personal MMO experience has essentially been limited to 3 or 4 games over the past decade, I can confidently say that none of those games has ever come remotely close to offering the amount and quality of content for a simple holiday event that GW2 has with its halloween event.  
    Anecdotal evidence vs anecdotal evidence.

In this war there no winners and the real loser is the truth.

• SiphaedSiphaed Everywhere!Posts: 879Member Uncommon

Negative comments? Sure, there was the VOCAL MINORITY; however the majority was having a BLAST! with all the content added and available.  I got many of my WvW-only guild members to do PvE content,  got people that hate jumping puzzles to attempt the Clocktower, and had a blast running around the fields as candycorn and ghosts.

Besides that, there was the new JP's added and the mini-dungeons as well as the newer Dynamic Events.  TONS of content for the first patch @ the 1-month marker.  To have another supposedly HUGE patch just 2 weeks later...nothing short of amazing!

• nolic1nolic1 Kingman, AZPosts: 687Member Uncommon
    I have almost  completed all the Halloween achevments and have loved the whole thing I did all the content for halloween including 4 of the new DE's and almost all the jumping puzzles. Yes they added new DE's and not just the Halloween ones but ones to some of the other zones as well to fill in gaps in some areas mostly the 60+ zones. But the Halloween is the best Halloween even I have seen in an mmo to date not once have I had this much fun with a holiday event.

To me I enjoy gaming I dont play to be uber I play to have fun. If a game is not fun to me guess what I move on and play something else till I find one that is. When I find that great game and not sure if in my life time there will be one I hope it has everything I want in an mmo.

• itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

only complaints I saw about the event was the skins thing.. hardly an overly negative response.. the event has been huge success from what I have seen ingame..

And the jumping puzzle the clock tower but as usual the only complaints i ever see are never anywhere else but here.  The update did include some minor fixes for profession bugs and some new jumping puzzles outside of the halloween event. Can't wait to see what's next, hope it's not a holiday event.

Edit: UNLESS it's a holiday event that helps me level Chef to max LOL

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Orlando, FLPosts: 448Member
    Originally posted by itgrowls

And the jumping puzzle the clock tower but as usual the only complaints i ever see are never anywhere else but here.  The update did include some minor fixes for profession bugs and some new jumping puzzles outside of the halloween event. Can't wait to see what's next, hope it's not a holiday event.

Edit: UNLESS it's a holiday event that helps me level Chef to max LOL

Obviously you never visit Massively......

• VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Or the official forums?  I mean, despite whatever issues I had, even I found myself feeling bad for the devs, who must have been reading though all that.  I think its partly their own fault, they made some pretty bad decisions, but not so bad that it should overshadow all the good they did, like that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Puyallup, WAPosts: 121Member
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Or the official forums?  I mean, despite whatever issues I had, even I found myself feeling bad for the devs, who must have been reading though all that.  I think its partly their own fault, they made some pretty bad decisions, but not so bad that it should overshadow all the good they did, like that.

They really need to overhaul the Black Lion Chests before they rely on them for another holiday. I'm sure most people would've been fine with the low drop rate on the holiday skins IF they still got some awesome and useful stuff from the chests in the first place. Some guy on the official forums proposed a token drop from the chest that allows you to buy things that you want for a certain amount of tokens, I thought that might've done some good.

Also they really need to rethink the rarity and availability of skins. I'm okay with some skins being almost legendary in terms of mats and cost, I'm okay with some skins being super rare dungeon/chest drops... But atleast give out SOME permanent skins that are easy for everyone to get, or you're going to piss off a lot of people. I'm glad they gave us some niche stat boots for the clock tower, and a town clothes witch hat for Mad King says...

I know the majority of the playerbase wanted a weapon skin, but only the lucky and the wealthy will have those now.

I hope Anet improves upon this aspect of their events in the future, and maintains the quality and the amount of content they put out.

As much as anyone can moan about the skins (and even though I'm voicing my opinion on it, I really am not that flustered about the skins, I'm just sad I probably won't ever have an Arachnaphobia to pew pew with) Arenanet hit a grand slam with this event, especially in comparison to holiday events in other MMOs.

So much to do, so little time.

Lion's Arch in Halloween is just... beautiful.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik lisboaPosts: 391Member

i was away 1 week and come back to game yesterday to find one of the best events ever made on mmo industry , too less time again and too many fun things and stuff to do , well maybe this patch stays for ever

• ZylaxxZylaxx Erlanger, KYPosts: 2,574Member
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Can someone move this to the GW2 forum, I´d like at least one place where I don´t see discussions about that title

And yet you felt the need to post in a thread about said title.  Who is the one being unreasonable here?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Erlanger, KYPosts: 2,574Member

very much agreed while of course there were some minor hiccups and bugs overall i can't think of any holiday event in recent memory that has had this much going on.. truely a great holiday experience.. and unheard of imho for a game with no monthly sub.

It was easily 10 times the holiday event of a WoW.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

And yet you felt the need to post in a thread about said title.  Who is the one being unreasonable here?

You have to be sympathetic. GW2 is clearly a great game with tons of potential and a person that does not like it would grow tired of hearing about it's grandeur.  Alot of people go on about how GW2 has made changes that hopefully will impact the industry, and that can be construed as "they've done some things better"  or "they're going to save the industry" and feeling that people beleive it's the latter surely burns on someone that feels the industry doesn't need saving.

Maybe games like TSW will be able to take their small budgets and turn out some quality content and gameplay changes, driving up their sub numbers.

Even as a GW2 fan, I still don't want to go on about it too much. It's like getting a fancy new sportscar and driving past people so they can see you in it. How many times past before you start to feel bad that they are committed to driving what they have.  And by that time, the last thing you can do is suggest to them that they look into one.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO SomewherePosts: 1,326Member

Phase 4 was really enjoyable. Not all phases were equally enjoyable to everyone. There are still things surrounding the event that I don't know what to do with. Still, not going balistic over something I haven't experienced myself.

imageimage
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

For someone that despises discussions about GW2 so much, Yakamomoto sure seems to spend a lot of time on the GW2 forum lol :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?